PDA

View Full Version : What's Nashville, TN like?

rad
07-05-2006, 08:25 AM
Never been there. :shrug:

I had an interview in Mass. They made an offer: same $$/hr, $10,000 relocation, 60 days paid housing, and a $5,000 bonus payable 2,500 @ 6 mo. and 2500 @ 1 yr. I rejected it, but asked about their TN facility b/c Mass. is too expensive a place to live. I'm not in a position to move for the same $$ and a comparable cost of living. Any insight would be helpful before I (might) make the trip down there to check it out.

SPchief
07-05-2006, 08:27 AM
Paging Mr Fax

HC_Chief
07-05-2006, 08:35 AM
It's nice. About the same size as KC. More rivers, lakes, & streams if you're into skiing, fishing, etc. Nice people. Cost of living is not high at all. You can get a great house in an excellent neighborhood for about the same amount you'd pay in KC.

StcChief
07-05-2006, 08:40 AM
Friendly relaxed. Mid south. Capital TN.

Lots todo near by, besides Country music stuff.

Very nice when I visited there.

I would consider it if relocating.

Titan football :p

rad
07-05-2006, 08:43 AM
It's nice. About the same size as KC. More rivers, lakes, & streams if you're into skiing, fishing, etc. Nice people. Cost of living is not high at all. You can get a great house in an excellent neighborhood for about the same amount you'd pay in KC.

I'd try to live outside the city. I'm a bit of a country boy. Hate country music though. My wife likes it though, so I'm forced to deal.

Saulbadguy
07-05-2006, 08:45 AM
It's stupid, and full of yay-hoos.

rad
07-05-2006, 08:46 AM
Friendly relaxed. Mid south. Capital TN.

Lots todo near by, besides Country music stuff.

Very nice when I visited there.

I would consider it if relocating.

Titan football :p

I just wanna make sure they don't try to burn out "damn yankees that aint welcome!"

ROYC75
07-05-2006, 09:00 AM
Tn. = No State Income Tax.

Saulbadguy
07-05-2006, 09:01 AM
Tn. = No State Income Tax.
They will just tax you out the ass for something else.

ChiTown
07-05-2006, 09:18 AM
They will just tax you out the ass for something else.

Typically, they get it back with City Taxes, Real Estate Taxes, Sales Tax, etc.

Rad, check all that out before you make your decision. I've been to Nashville on a number of occassions. I like the town, and the people. In general, the cost of living seems to be pretty moderate.

Check at Williamson Couty, Belle Meade and Brentwood if you like the suburburian lifestyle.

rad
07-05-2006, 09:20 AM
Typically, they get it back with City Taxes, Real Estate Taxes, Sales Tax, etc.

Rad, check all that out before you make your decision. I've been to Nashville on a number of occassions. I like the town, and the people. In general, the cost of living seems to be pretty moderate.

Check at Williamson Couty, Belle Meade and Brentwood if you like the suburburian lifestyle.

Thanks, I will.

chagrin
07-05-2006, 09:21 AM
Anything is better than Boston, except maybe Cleveland, then again - Euclid has excellent Sandwiches

rad
07-05-2006, 09:24 AM
Have you been in this area?
http://www.realtor.com/FindHome/HomeListing.asp?snum=61&mlsttl=Middle+Tennessee&frm=bycomm&pgnum=7&mls=middletennessee&js=on&poe=realtor&st=tn&areaid=1011779&areaid=1011780&areaid=1011790&areaid=1011794&areaid=1011795&areaid=1011796&areaid=1011797&areaid=1011805&typ=1&mnprice=100000&mxprice=150000&mnbed=4&mnbath=2&mnsqft=0&ss_mitm=n%2Fa&sid=06E45861A877C&snumxlid=1061282436&lnksrc=00001

banyon
07-05-2006, 09:34 AM
the Titans suck, and you'll have the KC Royals of the SEC in football to root for.

But Vandy does have a pretty campus, and there is a pretty vibrant indie music scene there too if you're into that. (If you're into country instead, then of course you are set there too). Much better crime rates than your neighboring town to the Southwest (my hometown), Memphis, TN. But you do have to deal with some pretty serious 'necks once you get outside the city limits. Sometimes they wander into town too. But of a lot of the southern big cities, it might be one of the best to live in.

rad
07-05-2006, 09:38 AM
the Titans suck, and you'll have the KC Royals of the SEC in football to root for.

But Vandy does have a pretty campus, and there is a pretty vibrant indie music scene there too if you're into that. (If you're into country instead, then of course you are set there too). Much better crime rates than your neighboring town to the Southwest (my hometown), Memphis, TN. But you do have to deal with some pretty serious 'necks once you get outside the city limits. Sometimes they wander into town too. But of a lot of the southern big cities, it might be one of the best to live in.

Cool, thanks. It seems everyone here says it's a pretty decent area.

Now I have to wait for the guy to call me back to see if the company would be willing to send me down for an interview. If not, I may just finance a trip myself.

steve_minor
07-05-2006, 09:48 AM
I have been around the downtown area around 5 or 6 times for business events. I am from Minneapolis...so Nashville is a little more run down. Alot of homeless!!!! But there are some nice places to see, I hate country music, but if you enjoy it you will love the main strip downtown. I have driven a little outside and seen some of the horse farms...jaw dropping...lots of $$$$....and 2 blocks over is SCARY!!!!

Nashville is OK, MN rocks!!!!

They do have White Castle....if that is a determining factor :p

MOhillbilly
07-05-2006, 09:48 AM
some of my fam. REALLY loved the nashville scene.

rad
07-05-2006, 09:56 AM
I have been around the downtown area around 5 or 6 times for business events. I am from Minneapolis...so Nashville is a little more run down. Alot of homeless!!!! But there are some nice places to see, I hate country music, but if you enjoy it you will love the main strip downtown. I have driven a little outside and seen some of the horse farms...jaw dropping...lots of $$$$....and 2 blocks over is SCARY!!!!

Nashville is OK, MN rocks!!!!

They do have White Castle....if that is a determining factor :p

Thanks for the input.
I would never live in any downtown area, though.

ChiTown
07-05-2006, 09:57 AM
Cool, thanks. It seems everyone here says it's a pretty decent area.

Now I have to wait for the guy to call me back to see if the company would be willing to send me down for an interview. If not, I may just finance a trip myself.

Just curious, what type of work do you do?

rad
07-05-2006, 10:01 AM
Retail printing. It's not a glamorous job. Blue collar, kinda dirty, etc. But it seems like Pressmen are always in demand somewhere, all around the world. I think it has to do with no one else wants to learn the trade anymore.

Ultra Peanut
07-05-2006, 10:18 AM
Much better crime rates than your neighboring town to the Southwest (my hometown), Memphis, TN. Though unless you move to Orange Mound, it's hardly something to worry about in M-Town.

Skyy God
07-05-2006, 11:46 AM
I have been around the downtown area around 5 or 6 times for business events. I am from Minneapolis...so Nashville is a little more run down. Alot of homeless!!!!

Run down, are you kidding? There's all kinds of new construction going on in downtown Nashville. As for the bums, I can attest. I watched one rummage through a trash bin from my friend's balcony for about 10 minutes.

melbar
07-05-2006, 12:23 PM
I lived there for about 10 years doing the music thing. I've lived a lot of places , but Nashville is one of the coolest places by far. There is a lot of country music , but there is also a very hip scene for many other genres too.Steve Perry of Journey , Neil Diamond ,and tons of other stars live there also. Lots of cool clubs and eateries . Its a city with all the amenities (also a well laid out Hwy system for getting places quickly) but it FEELS like a small town. Hermitage where you were looking is starting to build up again. My friend from Lonestar is building out there. Franklin which is south of Nashville about 15 min or so is a very cool Small town where a lot of the stars live. I really miss the town a lot . Lake near by for fishing, skiing , swimming...

Predarat
07-05-2006, 12:48 PM
I've lived here for about 8 years and really like it. There is something for everyone as far as living arrangements. The cost of living is low, you can get a great house anywhere for a great price. Yes there is no state income tax but sales tax is higher then most places, its 10.5% I believe. There are the Titans, Nashville Predators, ect. Each area of suburbs has its own culture, the Southeast side of town where I live has kind of a laid back country style culture. This is the area along 24 south of town with Murfreesboro, Lavergne and Smyrna. The Northeast and Southwest, both along I-65 is more of the typical big city suburb type environment. On the Southwest side you have Franklin, Cool Springs, Brentwood, ect and on the Northeast there is Hendersonville, Gallatin, and Goodlettesville. Then in between the two are the areas around I-40 east of town, which has Mount Julliette and Lebanon. The people are real nice here, I have almost always felt safe. Its probably a lot like KC, its about the same size and has a lot of the same things.

KingPriest2
07-05-2006, 12:57 PM
My sister lives in Franklin. She has lived there for over a year now.

Unfortunely her husband was killed in a plane crash near Murpheesboro in March but she loves the area so much that she is staying.

You would meet the most courteous and nicest people in Nashville. (This is one of the main reasons why she is staying).

I would love to go back to visit it is so peaceful down there. Not ugly like KC.

FAX
07-05-2006, 12:58 PM
Come on down, Mr. rad. We need all the Chiefs fans we can get down here. You'll have to acquire a satellite service, though, because it's Titans country.

Nashville is a pretty nice place to live even though we have no beaches and good snow skiing requires a long trip. The most important attribute is that there are a large number of very attractive women here. And, it's hot and humid in the summer, so they wear few clothes.

The printing industry is vigorous. Nashville is home of the Baptist and Methodist publishing houses as well as Thomas Nelson (the bible publisher.) There are dozens upon dozens of independent printing companies, as well.

Various available activities include some beautiful lakes, white water within a couple of hours, excellent camping and hiking in the Smokies (not to far away), museums, great concerts at the Ryman and other venues and, of course, the club scene is great due to the music industry here. The best area to live is Williamson County in my opinion, although the East side is developing nicely as young people are buying up the old homes and refurbishing them. I know a great place for southern BBQ.

Just ask me any specifics and I'll be glad to help.

FAX

kcfanintitanhell
07-05-2006, 12:59 PM
Yea, I lived in Nashville from '89 to '02 doing the music thing also, and still go back once a month or so. When I moved there, East Nashville. right across the river from downtown,was a drug and gang-infested shithole. Then the yuppies invaded in the mid-nineties, started restoring the old homes, and most of the vermin migrated to the west side. There are still pockets around the projects, but for the most part, it is pretty cool, and an easy commute if you're working close to downtown, which seems to be where most of the printing industry is situated. Although the freeway system is pretty good, it seems that there is always major road construction going on, which can make the commute a nightmare.
South of Nashville, as someone mentioned, Franklin is a pretty cool place but getting kinda pricey. West of Franklin is Lieper's Fork, an up and coming little town about 25 minutes from downtown (on a good day), and east of Franklin are Nolensville, and Triune, where some pretty nice subdivisions are springing up. Once again about 25 minutes.

DaKCMan AP
07-05-2006, 01:02 PM
I don't know about Nashville, but there's a dung-infested city in Tennessee called Knoxville :D

kcfanintitanhell
07-05-2006, 01:02 PM
I know a great place for southern BBQ.

FAX

Would that by any chance be Fate's BBQ?

FAX
07-05-2006, 01:13 PM
Would that by any chance be Fate's BBQ?

No, Mr. kcfanintitanhell. There's a new place that just opened. It's called "Jim and Nick's" or something like that. On Charlotte Pike about 1/4 mile off I40 on the west side. Great ribs and brisket.

Actually, I think Fate's got bought or closed or something. If I'm not mistaken, I think the place it used to be is called "The Pig House" or something now.

FAX

Ultra Peanut
07-05-2006, 01:27 PM
I don't know about Nashville, but there's a dung-infested city in Tennessee called Knoxville :DHave I ever mentioned that you're a very smart person?

yeti
07-05-2006, 02:04 PM
Have you been in this area?
http://www.realtor.com/FindHome/HomeListing.asp?snum=61&mlsttl=Middle+Tennessee&frm=bycomm&pgnum=7&mls=middletennessee&js=on&poe=realtor&st=tn&areaid=1011779&areaid=1011780&areaid=1011790&areaid=1011794&areaid=1011795&areaid=1011796&areaid=1011797&areaid=1011805&typ=1&mnprice=100000&mxprice=150000&mnbed=4&mnbath=2&mnsqft=0&ss_mitm=n%2Fa&sid=06E45861A877C&snumxlid=1061282436&lnksrc=00001

The Hermitage, Old Hickory area is alright. I remember it being near some nice stuff but also near some more run down areas. There was a good mountain biking spot near hermitage that I liked a lot. It is relatively close to downtown and the Opry Mills mall which is pretty nice. I lived in Hendersonville in the northeast from '96 to '01. I have heard that area has grown a lot. It was suburban living at its best: malls, restaurants, schools, and a lake all within 5 to 10 mins. Although the traffic could be bad and is likely worse now.

Hammock Parties
07-05-2006, 03:23 PM
There's one very good reason to live there.

kcfanintitanhell
07-05-2006, 03:31 PM
I always had an issue with the traffic problem in Nashville-I don't know who was in charge of long-range planning of road construction projects, but I question their qualifications for the job. Seems like every time a major project was started, other ones were started simultaneously on every road that offered an alternative route to bypass the original one. :banghead:
I have a friend who lives about 25 miles north of the city and worked in the Green Hills area, and some days her commute home took almost 4 hours.

rad
07-05-2006, 03:33 PM
Thanks to everyone for their input. I'll keep you all informed.

kcfanintitanhell
07-05-2006, 04:19 PM
There's one very good reason to live there.

Another good reason (for you, anyway), is that Carrie Underwood spends a whole lot of time there. Actually, one of my best friends played most of the fiddle and mando on her debut album.
Unless the very good reason you're talking about was the above.... :)

Hammock Parties
07-05-2006, 04:29 PM
Another good reason (for you, anyway), is that Carrie Underwood spends a whole lot of time there. Actually, one of my best friends played most of the fiddle and mando on her debut album.
Unless the very good reason you're talking about was the above.... :)

http://img506.imageshack.us/img506/9395/cloud95os.gif (http://imageshack.us)

melbar
07-05-2006, 05:42 PM
Theres a sports bar off Nolansville Rd called the playing Field that has 12 TV's including 2 big screens and the best wings you can find! Every game is playing all day long .