PDA

View Full Version : Clothes Dryer no worky

Archie F. Swin
07-06-2006, 10:00 AM
Things going on 9 years olds, but we've taken good care of it. I've checked the breaker, and the door switch appears to be in place. Do these things have fuses?

Is there a Sears repairman in the house?

ZepSinger
07-06-2006, 10:12 AM
Things going on 9 years olds, but we've taken good care of it. I've checked the breaker, and the door switch appears to be in place. Do these things have fuses?

I have the perfect solution. At least for a few months.
http://www.texasbeyondhistory.net/kids/forts/images/clothesline.jpg

sedated
07-06-2006, 10:16 AM

FAX
07-06-2006, 10:21 AM
I can't even start thinking about this until we get some beer.

FAX

StcChief
07-06-2006, 10:27 AM
Likely control panel switch with timer etc.

Electric Motor ? Would smell.

Could be the drum belt broke, that would be obvious

Inspector
07-06-2006, 10:30 AM
Sounds like you probably need a new dryer.

Go ahead and get the washer too so they'll match.

This is the advice from the Sears appliance people.

Archie Bunker
07-06-2006, 10:36 AM
I worked in a Sears parts store for 3 yrs and picked up some basic repair knowledge. If it wont heat check the heating element for breaks in the wire or see if it looks burned up. Then check the the thermostats and fuses to see if they look burned. If you have and ohm meter you can check for continuity. If it wont turn on at all it might be your timer motor.

Keep in mind I wasnt a repair man just worked at the counter so I could be wrong.

If you have your model # try going to www.sears.com/partsdirect for parts diagrams.

DaKCMan AP
07-06-2006, 11:35 AM
Hang what needs dryin' up on a clothesline and get Rich Scanlon to run around it in circles. The clothes will be dry in 4.25 seconds.

Calcountry
07-06-2006, 11:54 AM

Is there a Sears repairman in the house?Take it to the Dump and buy a new one.

Calcountry
07-06-2006, 11:56 AM
Yes, always disable your appliances before discarding them. The last thing I want, is some enterprising scrounge to sift it out of my garbage, repair it and sell it in his garage sale.

Alton deFlat
07-06-2006, 12:13 PM
Does the dryer have a light on the inside? If it does and it's lit, there isn't a problem with the power supply. The drum of the dryer is operated by a motor that is attached to the drum by a belt. It's possible that that belt is broken. You can often get that belt at a Sears, or go to Sears Parts (http://www3.sears.com/) and enter the model number of the dryer. That number is often found inside the door.
Now this belt can be a real bastard to install. Good luck, and remember that there is always a Home Depot or Lowes nearby. Unfortunately, they don't make appliances to last any more.

Rain Man
07-06-2006, 12:20 PM
Sell the house and buy a new one that's got a working dryer.

Calcountry
07-06-2006, 01:07 PM
Does the dryer have a light on the inside? If it does and it's lit, there isn't a problem with the power supply. The drum of the dryer is operated by a motor that is attached to the drum by a belt. It's possible that that belt is broken. You can often get that belt at a Sears, or go to Sears Parts (http://www3.sears.com/) and enter the model number of the dryer. That number is often found inside the door.
Now this belt can be a real bastard to install. Good luck, and remember that there is always a Home Depot or Lowes nearby. Unfortunately, they don't make appliances to last any more.Thanks to China, most things are cheaper to replace than to fix. The only way a repairman can make any money is for you to GIVE them the broken appliance, and let them DISPOSE of it for you.

That is why I prefer the disable beyond repair and dump method of removal.

yunghungwell
07-06-2006, 01:19 PM
...If it wont heat check the heating element for breaks in the wire or see if it looks burned up. Then check the the thermostats and fuses to see if they look burned. If you have and ohm meter you can check for continuity...

All sound advise. My family had been limping around on an old Kenmore for quite a few years. I just kept fixing it. Heating element, resistor, high limit fuse, and a belt. The only reason that we got a new one was because it kept putting brown streaks on the wife's favorite dress shirts and the baby's clothes. When mamma ain't happy ain't nobody happy.

Here is a pretty good internet resources for troubleshooting your probs on home appliances.

Repair Clinic (http://www.repairclinic.com/)

Jilly
07-06-2006, 02:15 PM
I can't even start thinking about this until we get some beer.

FAX

yeah, me too.