PDA

View Full Version : It's 2:35am and I'm tiling the kitchen floor

ZepSinger
07-08-2006, 01:35 AM
Been tiling the kitchen/entry way/hallway floor since 10pm. Never done this before. Mrs. Zep wanted tile really bad, but we didn't feel like dropping a couple thou in labor for it. It's not rocket science, just tedious.

Just call me Bob Vila.

Z

luv
07-08-2006, 01:38 AM
It's 2:38AM, and I'm going to bed. Have fun!

Halfcan
07-08-2006, 01:39 AM
Its noon somewhere have a beer and jam on some Zep.

ChiefFan31
07-08-2006, 02:00 AM
Meth is bad for you

:p

However, im sure you wont leave behind any detail to the job

wutamess
07-08-2006, 07:24 AM
Can you post pics?
and what tools have you done?
Thinking of saving myself some money and doing it myself for future projects.

stevieray
07-08-2006, 09:13 AM
Out on the Tiles by Zep Vila

Iowanian
07-08-2006, 10:01 AM
Custom tiling is going for $6-$8/sq ft depending on what you're having done....

Tiling isn't that difficult, once you learn what you're doing...but it is hard on your back and knees.

Do yourself a favor and get some knee pads if you've got alot to do.

Put down the rock board, tape and mud the seems, invest in a decent cutter, or rent a wetsaw.

have fun, It'll make a difference when your'e done.

ZepSinger
07-08-2006, 10:52 AM
Can you post pics?
and what tools have you done?
Thinking of saving myself some money and doing it myself for future projects.

Yeah, the money thing- we only have 350 bucks in tile, grout, etc. To tile this much floor would have cost us over 3 grand if we'd paid to have it done...

Also-we're laying it directly on the existing vinyl, which has the exact size tile pattern as what we're laying down. So it's a piece of cake! Laying the 12"X12" tile directly on the 12"X12" vinyl pattern. Kind of like painting by numbers. You can't really get off track.

When I get it all done, I will indeed post a couple of pics. Looks like the hardest thing is going to be cutting the odd corner pieces and around the round toilet base. I don't feel like bringing the toilet up first, will just tile around it. Tools- this is all I'm using:

http://www.ceramic-tile-floor.info/graphics/tile%20installation/tile%20tool.jpg

I did a small website for a guy I know who does it for a living. Lots of tile pics for ideas: AMC Custom Tile (http://www.amccustomtile.com/)

Phobia
07-08-2006, 02:57 PM
I did a small website for a guy I know who does it for a living. Lots of tile pics for ideas: AMC Custom Tile (http://www.amccustomtile.com/)

I don't mean to piss in your cheerios but you should have rang the guy for some advice. I give your tile a week before your first crack.

1. Vinyl floor is NOT a suitable substrate for tile. I hope for your sake that there is concrete underneath and that you went to the trouble of roughing up the surface before laying your tile.
2. It takes 3 minutes and a 1 dollar wax ring to remove your toilet. It's going to take you 3 hours to cut the tile around the toilet. If you ever have problems with the toilet, it will probably need to be busted out and you'll NEVER find another toilet to fit the same footprint.

Hopefully you're laying that floating fake tile stuff they have at home centers, that's your only saving grace. If not, be prepared to shell out $3000 plus demolition plus cost of material.... again.

In short, stick to the day job, brutha. Heh heh. Good luck.

Iowanian
07-08-2006, 02:59 PM
I concur that putting Tile directly over vinyl is a big mistake. Not pulling the toilet is also.

Saulbadguy
07-08-2006, 03:04 PM
I don't mean to piss in your cheerios but you should have rang the guy for some advice. I give your tile a week before your first crack.

1. Vinyl floor is NOT a suitable substrate for tile. I hope for your sake that there is concrete underneath and that you went to the trouble of roughing up the surface before laying your tile.
2. It takes 3 minutes and a 1 dollar wax ring to remove your toilet. It's going to take you 3 hours to cut the tile around the toilet. If you ever have problems with the toilet, it will probably need to be busted out and you'll NEVER find another toilet to fit the same footprint.

Hopefully you're laying that floating fake tile stuff they have at home centers, that's your only saving grace. If not, be prepared to shell out $3000 plus demolition plus cost of material.... again.

In short, stick to the day job, brutha. Heh heh. Good luck.
Good advice.

I'm planning on tiling my bathroom sometime in the near future. Seeing as i'm a dumbass, i'll write this all down.

chief2000
07-08-2006, 04:04 PM
While your at it you may want to remove that cock around your neck.

Saulbadguy
07-08-2006, 04:09 PM
While your at it you may want to remove that cock around your neck.
Now now, is that really necessary?

gblowfish
07-08-2006, 05:55 PM
Zep has a toilet in his kitchen???

milkman
07-08-2006, 06:00 PM

You don't?

ZepSinger
07-08-2006, 06:13 PM

Half bath off the kitchen. And now I'm worried about the floor. The guy we talked to said he does tile over vinyl floors all the time. Crap. Hope I beat the odds on this one.
:(

EDIT: My wife just said that the floor guy at Lowe's said you can do it if you use special stuff to mix with the powder instead of water, which we are using. Hopefully this will make it OK...

KcFanNindy
07-08-2006, 08:59 PM
Half bath off the kitchen. And now I'm worried about the floor. The guy we talked to said he does tile over vinyl floors all the time. Crap. Hope I beat the odds on this one.
:(

EDIT: My wife just said that the floor guy at Lowe's said you can do it if you use special stuff to mix with the powder instead of water, which we are using. Hopefully this will make it OK...

I am tiling my pantry, half bath, and kitchen also. Listen to what has been said above, you may have wasted your dollars by tiling all over the vinyl. Hopefully you have not gotten that far in your tiling process, if not that far along it will be far cheaper to buy extra tile, and pull up the tile that you have already laid down then have to replace the whole floor.

As for the toliet issue, that is easy as cake to remove and the $1 wax ring is far worth removing, if you ever have to replace the toliet, then you will be screwed because you didnt do the job right to begin with, its a half ass job, tryin to make short cuts will cost you more in the long run.

What i did was went out and bought a scraper and scraped the vinyl off myself, this is also my first time tiling also. If in fact you do have to pull up the vinyl let me give you a secret, after pulling up the vinyl, off a concrete slab, use water, to help remove any part of vinyl/glue adhesive that is still left, this will save your back, and blisters.....i learned the hard way, because no one told me about the water and the glue, yea i worked my ass off, my back hurt as well and had several blisters before i found out how to do this the easy way.... i called the local tile place and asked them if there was easier way.....his exact words was just added water from a spray bottle on to the area, be careful though, the more water you apply the more of a mess you will make....but i didnt care about that.....brought the fan over to help dry the floor.....worked very easy after that.

Also it would be to your benefit to remove the base boards or any quarter round so that you can make your tile look even better.

I am going to pay a guy $200-300 to tile my kitchen, half bath, and pantry. I have done the hardest work of all. Do to my time constraints and my employment schedule, i just dont have the time to finish the project myself.

I will keep you in touch on my home improvement project.

Iowanian
07-08-2006, 09:11 PM
If he knows what he's doing at all..thats a bargain.

If I ever do more tile, I'll absolutely put rockboard down first. I've tiled a few floors, some countertop and a bathroom....its not a job to go cheap on.

tommykat
07-08-2006, 09:37 PM
Papa and I tiled my kitchen floor, entry way also around my fireplace. 6 months later it was done......Snickering, as you think it will be done fast? :shake:......good luck, I was so bruised on my knees even with knee pads and hurt so much.

However, the outcome was glorious! :D Good luck.

Moooo
07-08-2006, 09:47 PM
I was so bruised on my knees even with knee pads and hurt so much.

However, the outcome was glorious! :D Good luck.

ROFL Thank you for the laugh :)

luv
07-08-2006, 09:48 PM
ROFL Thank you for the laugh :)
Get your mind out of the gutter, young man!

KcMizzou
07-08-2006, 09:48 PM
ROFL Thank you for the laugh :)Oh man. :doh!:

Moooo
07-08-2006, 09:51 PM
Get your mind out of the gutter, young man!

It wasn't that I was there already, but that phrased just stood out to me like a sore thumb.

Moooo

KcFanNindy
07-09-2006, 01:43 PM
If he knows what he's doing at all..thats a bargain.

If I ever do more tile, I'll absolutely put rockboard down first. I've tiled a few floors, some countertop and a bathroom....its not a job to go cheap on.

he does this shit for a living....i went to Lowes was orginally going to put down a hardwood floor on a slab, but after i saw the cost, changed directions and went to tile. I figured i could save some cost by doing most of the work myself...a buddy was suppose to help me lay the tile....but you know how friends are when it comes to work.....even offered to pay him....he knows the amount of time it will take to do this job......i will keep you all posted/