PDA

View Full Version : What Did T-Rich Do Last Year?

petegz28
07-08-2006, 10:48 AM
I am not taking away from him, he is one of the best FB's in the game. But let's face it, he is getting older, wasn't on the field much and what he did do I saw plenty of other FB's doing.

Throwing blocks in short yardage situation is a lot easier than pass blocking or even getting out on the corner.

We did most of our tosses and pulls in a single back formation. T-Rich was in 25% of the plays.

So what are we really losing that Cruz or whatever his name is isn't going to do ok with?

Busting holes for Preist and busting holes for LJ are 2 different things. LJ can almost make a hole if he needs too.

Anyhow pass blocking aside I think we will be just fine without T-0Rich though I would of loved to have kept him.

HC_Chief
07-08-2006, 10:50 AM
I saw him make THREE spectacular blocks on ONE play last year. One at the LOS, one 5yds past the LOS, and one 15yds past the LOS. The direct result: a long TD run on that play. It was incredible.

I am pissed we let him leave. He is a good person and the best FB in the league. Sure, he's getting "old", relatively speaking, but his play does not appear to be declining. Minnesota got themselves the best lead-blocker in the business. :(

4th and Long
07-08-2006, 10:53 AM
I am not taking away from him
Yes, ... yes, you are.
But let's face it, he is getting older
Older? If age is your argument, then please give us your expert insight on Trent Green.
Throwing blocks in short yardage situation is a lot easier than pass blocking or even getting out on the corner.
You have prior, first hand experience as an NFL Fullback? I had no idea.

Don't quit your day job, dick, ... I mean, ... peter.

petegz28
07-08-2006, 10:56 AM
Yes, ... yes, you are.

Older? If age is your argument, then please give us your expert insight on Trent Green.

You have prior, first hand experience as an NFL Fullback? I had no idea.

Don't quit your day job, dick, ... I mean, ... peter.

Um well I have to ask you what you think you know about football based off your post?

First off TG is a QB. Money goes to him first considering he is on the field every play and T-Rich was on for 25%.

Secondly short yardage blocks are easier because you pretty much have the defender running right at you. On a pull you have to get out and go engage the defender who has a lot more momentum going and room to work with.

I would say don't quit your day job Dick and I mean DICK

petegz28
07-08-2006, 10:58 AM
I saw him make THREE spectacular blocks on ONE play last year. One at the LOS, one 5yds past the LOS, and one 15yds past the LOS. The direct result: a long TD run on that play. It was incredible.

I am pissed we let him leave. He is a good person and the best FB in the league. Sure, he's getting "old", relatively speaking, but his play does not appear to be declining. Minnesota got themselves the best lead-blocker in the business. :(

1 play? I didn't want him to go either. But I think people are getting a little over done with it.

I also so a lot of big plays when he wasn't in there.

4th and Long
07-08-2006, 11:08 AM
Um well I have to ask you what you think you know about football based off your post?
How far back would you like me to go? Shall I recount Super Bowl I for you? Were you even a swimming little sperm yet?
First off TG is a QB. Money goes to him first considering he is on the field every play and T-Rich was on for 25%.
Position and money? Who the hell said anything about position and money? Your argument was age, which you conveniently discarded once you were called out on it.
Secondly short yardage blocks are easier because you pretty much have the defender running right at you. On a pull you have to get out and go engage the defender who has a lot more momentum going and room to work with.
Again, I had no idea you were a former NFL fullback. Those who can't do, teach, I suppose, in your case, anyway.
I would say don't quit your day job Dick and I mean DICK
AHAAAAAAAAAHAHAHA! You're killing me, n00b! Stop!

No, seriously, stop.

blueballs
07-08-2006, 11:10 AM
the new OC had a little insight
on whether to keep him or not
case closed

CoMoChief
07-08-2006, 11:21 AM
He wanted too much money as a FB IMO. Lets face it its a business and he wanted one last big chunk of change before he hung 'em up. That goes the same with Ty Law except Law has 3 SB rings and doesnt really need to play for anything else than money I suppose. Then again I dont really know what TRich's advantage is in playing for MIN because I think we can all agree that they won't be playing the SB anytime soon or at least by the time TRich hangs them up.

blueballs
07-08-2006, 11:26 AM
Richardson was quoted in a article, that he would get more playing time in MN. I don't think the money was a big issue for him.

morphius
07-08-2006, 11:27 AM
FB's are a bit like OL, you don't notice them much unless the mess up.

Just about every red zone run since Priest has been here has had a lot to do with TRich using his speed to get outside and stay in front. I know we have all seen him take out 1 or 2 guys more then a few times in that period to allow the RB just to walk in almost untouched.

Also think about this, we have brought in more then a couple FB's that have been unable to block anywhere near as well. So much so that we have had to cut most of them.

CoMoChief
07-08-2006, 11:34 AM
Richardson was quoted in a article, that he would get more playing time in MN. I don't think the money was a big issue for him.

IIRC he's now one of the highest paid FB's in the NFL. You can't tell me money didnt have something to do with it.

jspchief
07-08-2006, 11:35 AM
He was in on 25% of the plays, but how much of that 25% was important goal line or short yardage?

He may not have been in on a lot of plays, but he was in on a lot of very important plays.

1.25 million per year is what he would have cost us. Would you like me to go down the list of complete bums on our roster that are making more than that? Don't tell me he was too expensive when we can afford to pay William Bartee and Dexter McCleon more. He signed for basically the same price that we paid him last year.

jspchief
07-08-2006, 11:37 AM
IIRC he's now one of the highest paid FB's in the NFL. You can't tell me money didnt have something to do with it.1.25 mil per year. For chrissakes, vet minimum for someone with his tenure is about 800k.

We'll spend twice that amount on Shawn Barber this year and he isn't even on the f*cking team.

jlscorpio
07-08-2006, 11:38 AM
I think a major factor in the decision to let T-Rich go was the fact that Solari prefers to go with 2-TE sets and essentially use Dunn in T-Rich's place. Dunn is the best blocking TE in football and throws just as many bone-rattling blocks as T-Rich.

CoMoChief
07-08-2006, 11:43 AM
1.25 mil per year. For chrissakes, vet minimum for someone with his tenure is about 800k.

We'll spend twice that amount on Shawn Barber this year and he isn't even on the f*cking team.

I thought he got something like a 2-3yr deal up there for 5-6Million, maybe I was wrong.

jspchief
07-08-2006, 11:44 AM
I thought he got something like a 2-3yr deal up there for 5-6Million, maybe I was wrong.2 year 2.5 million. He's making less than he did in 2005 playing for us.

jlscorpio
07-08-2006, 11:45 AM
I wonder if T-Rich would've signed w/Minnesota if he knew he'd be wearing purple pants?

greg63
What Did T-Rich Do Last Year?

He played football. :p

Bowser
Didn't T-Rich once say that his aspiration after football was to work in the Chief's front office?

CoMoChief
07-08-2006, 11:46 AM
He was in on 25% of the plays, but how much of that 25% was important goal line or short yardage?

He may not have been in on a lot of plays, but he was in on a lot of very important plays.

1.25 million per year is what he would have cost us. Would you like me to go down the list of complete bums on our roster that are making more than that? Don't tell me he was too expensive when we can afford to pay William Bartee and Dexter McCleon more. He signed for basically the same price that we paid him last year.

As far as McCleon and Bartee go, I have no ****ing clue why they were ever on the team. They are terrible and I cant believe our FO paid them what they are being paid. I really can't believe we gave Bartee an extension. Look, I totally agree that there are MANY players on our team that are being paid WAAAAAAY more than they are producing, but from what I remember TRich was getting paid more than just 1.25M a year.

Bowser
07-08-2006, 11:48 AM
Bartee will go down in history as the longest tenured corner/defensive back to not have an interception.

CoMoChief
07-08-2006, 11:48 AM
Didn't T-Rich once say that his aspiration after football was to work in the Chief's front office?

Yup and I think Carl even said something like the door would be open when that time comes.

CoMoChief
07-08-2006, 11:49 AM
Bartee will go down in history as the longest tenured corner/defensive back to not have an interception.

Wait he had one last season in preseason

......oh wait, those games dont count.

Bowser
07-08-2006, 11:49 AM
Yup and I think Carl even said something like the door would be open when that time comes.

I wonder how far open that door is going to be since he "jilted" King Carl?

CoMoChief
07-08-2006, 11:50 AM
I wonder how far open that door is going to be since he "jilted" King Carl?

Hopefully by that time Carl will be out the door anyways.

jspchief
07-08-2006, 11:51 AM
As far as McCleon and Bartee go, I have no ****ing clue why they were ever on the team. They are terrible and I cant believe our FO paid them what they are being paid. Look, I totally agree that there are MANY players on our team that are being paid WAAAAAAY more than they are producing, but from what I remember TRich was getting paid more than just 1.25M a year.He was getting paid more than that in the final year of his last contract. But he signed a new one for 2 years, 2.5 million.
Vikings | Team agrees to contract with Richardson
Tue, 21 Mar 2006 11:59:43 -0800

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports the Minnesota Vikings have agreed to a two-year contract with free agent FB Tony Richardson (Chiefs). The deal will pay Richardson about $2.5 million

My point is, 1.25 million is chump change in the NFL, especially when you get a Pro Bowl caliber player for it. To say he's too expensive is to completely ignore the context of today's NFL salaries. Hell, Jason Dunn made almost 2 mil last year. Was he overpaid too?

If we were backed up against the cap, I'd accept it as the business of football. But right now we have enough cap room to sign a half dozen T-Richs.

4th and Long
07-08-2006, 11:56 AM
He was getting paid more than that in the final year of his last contract. But he signed a new one for 2 years, 2.5 million.

My point is, 1.25 million is chump change in the NFL, especially when you get a Pro Bowl caliber player for it. To say he's too expensive is to completely ignore the context of today's NFL salaries. Hell, Jason Dunn made almost 2 mil last year. Was he overpaid too?

If we were backed up against the cap, I'd accept it as the business of football. But right now we have enough cap room to sign a half dozen T-Richs.
Yep and Rep.

CoMoChief
07-08-2006, 11:56 AM

:cuss:

el borracho
07-08-2006, 11:59 AM
TRich was great and I would have liked to have kept him but let's not cry until we see how his replacements do. We still have Cruz, Dunn and Wilson.

beer bacon
07-08-2006, 12:04 PM
IIRC he's now one of the highest paid FB's in the NFL. You can't tell me money didnt have something to do with it.

He is also one of the best FBs in the league. Also, a highly paid FB is a lot like a highly paid kicker. It is still isn't much more then a million or so a year.

jspchief
07-08-2006, 12:10 PM
He is also one of the best FBs in the league. Also, a highly paid FB is a lot like a highly paid kicker. It is still isn't much more then a million or so a year.Yea, but a kicker is only in on 5% of the plays. Why pay good money to keep a good one? You can just replace him with Lin Elliot.

beer bacon
07-08-2006, 12:19 PM
The short yardage blocking is easy argument is pretty damn stupid. I don't think you have actually watched any Chiefs games since Priest has been here if you think the blocking T-Rich did for is anything short of amazing.

jspchief
07-08-2006, 12:27 PM
Find a LJ TD run inside the red zone where T-Rich wasn't in the game. All the video clips I have, and I can't find one.

petegz28
07-08-2006, 12:40 PM
The short yardage blocking is easy argument is pretty damn stupid. I don't think you have actually watched any Chiefs games since Priest has been here if you think the blocking T-Rich did for is anything short of amazing.

No what I am saying is it is harder to get out and get a block on a pull than short yardage where there is more of a head-head collision.

SHEESH

petegz28
07-08-2006, 12:41 PM
Find a LJ TD run inside the red zone where T-Rich wasn't in the game. All the video clips I have, and I can't find one.

Never said he wasn't. Now tell me what he did in short yardage that someone else isn't going to be able to do?

jspchief
07-08-2006, 12:46 PM
Never said he wasn't. Now tell me what he did in short yardage that someone else isn't going to be able to do?I don't know. When I find out, it will already be too late.

For a mere 1.25 mil we didn't need to find out.

Ask Shaun Alexander and Ladanian Tomlinson about FBs. It's no coincidence that the best backs in the league run behind the best FBs. If they were so god damn easy to replace with Ronnie Cruzs, the same guys wouldn't be making the Pro Bowl every year.

petegz28
07-08-2006, 01:21 PM
I don't know. When I find out, it will already be too late.

For a mere 1.25 mil we didn't need to find out.

Ask Shaun Alexander and Ladanian Tomlinson about FBs. It's no coincidence that the best backs in the league run behind the best FBs. If they were so god damn easy to replace with Ronnie Cruzs, the same guys wouldn't be making the Pro Bowl every year.

he wanted more playing time you idiot it wasn't about the $. He only played 25% of our plays got it?

You mean the same LT that was outrushed by LJ who didn't have a FB all the time?

Or do you mean the Pro-Bowl FB in SD? T-Rich isn't a Pro-Bowl FB anymore. Was not now though.

jspchief
07-08-2006, 01:25 PM
he wanted more playing time you idiot it wasn't about the $. Link? When did he say this?

Calcountry
07-08-2006, 01:55 PM

I would say don't quit your day job Dick and I mean DICKAnd all this time I thought TG was a Tight End.

KCChiefsMan
07-08-2006, 02:16 PM
ya, you can bet your a$$ that I'm taking the Vikings RB on my fantasy team. We lost a key player

milkman
07-08-2006, 02:46 PM

Seems to me that the pitch, with the fullback getting out on the edge in front of the runner, is one of the Chiefs favorite plays inside the 5-10 yard line.

Your argument has no merit.

crispystl
07-08-2006, 03:21 PM
I say fug it line dunn up at fullback. It's not like anybody really believes were going to hand it of to the fullback. Very rarely do we run with the fullback.

jspchief
07-08-2006, 03:34 PM
I say fug it line dunn up at fullback. It's not like anybody really believes were going to hand it of to the fullback. Very rarely do we run with the fullback.Dunn is 6'6" tall. I doubt he'll have the leverage to play the FB position. He's closer to an O-lineman than a fullback.

crispystl
07-08-2006, 03:37 PM
Dunn is 6'6" tall. I doubt he'll have the leverage to play the FB position. He's closer to an O-lineman than a fullback.
Yeah I know just havin a little fun.

rad
07-08-2006, 03:39 PM
ya, you can bet your a$$ that I'm taking the Vikings RB on my fantasy team. We lost a key player

I just was telling a guy at work last night Chester Taylor will raise eyebrows this season, with T-Rich AND Hutch paving the way.

hypersensitiveZO6
07-08-2006, 04:14 PM
I'm anxious to see the production of our run offense without Tony Richardson. I always assumed he was doing an excellent job blocking because of the production of our running backs, without really watching him very much. I can't say I remember a specific play that was HIS last year to take all the glory for. Nothing against him, but I wonder how less productive Cruz, whoever, etc is going to be.

Valiant
07-08-2006, 04:40 PM
The fact that LJ said he was the only RB he looked up too and trusted is the main reason we should have kept him...

He centered LJ and his role model...

Rain Man
07-08-2006, 05:06 PM
My theory about Tony Richardson is that he was a great blocker for a guy like Priest Holmes, because Tony was good at more or less getting in people's way, while Priest was good at reading blocks and getting around them.

Now we have LJ. Right now, I see LJ's positives as being strength and speed and being able to hit a hole at high subsonic speeds. Is it possible that the Chiefs braintrust decided that a better fullback for his style is a 255-pound hammer who will make sure that LJ's original running lane is open, as opposed to a 235-lber like T-Rich who would make sure that some type of running lane is open?

That said, I'll miss T-Rich. Great team member, great player.

KCwolf
07-08-2006, 05:17 PM
There was a nice comfort level there with TRich....and along with being LJ's fav. made it even more comfortable. TRich will not be easy to replace IMO....but...I'm trusting the organization on this one. You can't keep em' all - but TRich was one I would have loved to come back.
MC

TRR
07-08-2006, 05:21 PM
LJ prefers the one back set, and TRich was wanting too much money. End of story. I think TRich was an extremely valuable cog to the O, but wasn't all that effective last season. Saunders and LJ favored the 2 TE set rather than a two-back set, and that's all there is to it.

I don't think TRich is much of a loss at all at this point. He was extremely valuable when he was used as an occasional ball carrier, a safety valve in the passing game, and a lead blocker 90% of the time. Last year, the O was extremely successful in the running game, and TRich rarely ran the ball, rarely caught the ball, and was hardly in as a FB.

Hydrae
07-08-2006, 08:23 PM
No matter what, T-Rich will be fondly remembered in KC for many, many years. One of the better FBs in the game and was even expected to be the feature back when Priest got here (remember, he started the first two games that year). When Priest took over, not a word of complaint was heard from T-Rich. He will always be one of my favorite Chiefs all-time.

Bob Dole
07-08-2006, 10:41 PM
Heading in to this season, Richardson's loss will be mostly trivialized like Blaylock's loss was last season.

Say what you want, but Blaylock's lead on kickoffs and punts was a major part of Dante's success. Bob Dole is afraid that we're going to see the same negative effect in the running game.

petegz28
07-09-2006, 07:38 AM
And all this time I thought TG was a Tight End.

Trent Green is a Tightend?

Rausch
07-09-2006, 07:39 AM
Trent Green is a Tightend?

TMI...

Chief Chief
07-09-2006, 08:24 AM
T-Rich did a good job but running the football was his shortcoming. He couldn't break thru tackles like Jerome Bettis for example. I remember one play from about the opp's 15-yard line where LJ was running right on a sweep and T-Rich was at about the 8-yard line, looked back, and pointed LJ to the end zone instead of laying a block on somebody. Yeah, LJ would have scored anyway on the play, but still T-Rich should know that LJ already knows which direction to go.

On the other side of the ball, LJ really should know by now how to block on pass plays. After the missed block in Dallas, I think it was DV who said they work on pass blocking during the pre-season and don't have time to teach it at practices during the season. Well, DUH! LJ's been in at least 3 pre-season training camps and 3 mini-camps at Arrowhead so that's more than enough time for someone to learn how it's done.

CoMoChief
07-09-2006, 12:43 PM

You mean youre gonna take A Vikings RB. Arent they still doing the RB by committee thing there?

CoMoChief
07-09-2006, 12:44 PM
I think we can all agree that Trent Green is the best blocker on our team. Just look at the BUF game a couple seasons ago.

rad
07-09-2006, 03:13 PM
You mean youre gonna take A Vikings RB. Arent they still doing the RB by committee thing there?

Who knows what their new HC (Childress?) is gonna do.

jspchief
07-09-2006, 04:47 PM
You mean youre gonna take A Vikings RB. Arent they still doing the RB by committee thing there?They got rid of Bennett and Onterrio Smith, and brought in Chester Taylor.

Taylor's contract would indicate that they expect him to be a feature back. Although he doesn't really strike me as the type of runner that would excel behind a FB.

SLAG
07-09-2006, 06:59 PM
Football threads get a bump..