PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs | Holmes new day; same story – career remains on hold

Bill Lundberg
07-09-2006, 11:57 AM
Chiefs | Holmes new day; same story – career remains on hold
Sun, 9 Jul 2006 07:00:51 -0700

Mike Finger, of the San Antonio Express-News, reports Kansas City Chiefs RB Priest Holmes (neck) said Saturday, July 8, "everything is on hold" until doctors decide if his neck can withstand the rigors of a 10th NFL season. Although he appeared to be in good physical shape, he said he hasn't been able to work out and lift weights like he has in previous offseasons. Holmes, who made three Pro Bowls with the Chiefs, is facing the possibility of retirement. From most players, such an admission would spell the all-but-certain end of a career. But from Holmes, the man who battled back from three knee injuries and a gruesome hip displacement, it was just an acknowledgement that he once again has some work to do. Holmes still doesn't see his neck injury as a reason to quit. "I know it sounds funny to say it, but I've had the luxury of being injured before," Holmes said. "Most people don't see that as a luxury. But at least I know what to expect." Holmes said he wants to play another two or three years, but he said the decision on his future ultimately belongs to California spinal Robert Watkins. If the doctor determines taking the field is too big of a risk, Holmes said he won't fight to play.

BostonChief
07-09-2006, 12:00 PM
I approve Priest. He can play.

CoMoChief
07-09-2006, 12:22 PM
I wonder why the doctors are taking so long to approve them or not. Do they still not know whats wrong with him?

blueballs
07-09-2006, 12:31 PM
I have watch nobody sacrifice their bodies on the football field like Priest Holmes. If he can not play another down, he has earned all money due him.

BostonChief
07-09-2006, 12:34 PM
I wonder why the doctors are taking so long to approve them or not. Do they still not know whats wrong with him?

You have to understand the seriousness of a neck/head/spinal injury. Priest is most likely seeing doctors all over the U.S and EVERY single one of those doctors has to approve him. It's all necessary because of the injury he endured. If any doctor made any mistake, he could be facing not a only a career ending injury, but an injury that could paralyze him, put him in a wheelchair for the rest of his life, or even kill him. It really doesn't matter how long it takes.

CoMoChief
07-09-2006, 12:37 PM
You have to understand the seriousness of a neck/head/spinal injury. Priest is most likely seeing doctors all over the U.S and EVERY single one of those doctors has to approve him. It's all necessary because of the injury he endured. If any doctor made any mistake, he could be facing not a only a career ending injury, but an injury that could paralyze him, put him in a wheelchair for the rest of his life, or even kill him. It really doesn't matter how long it takes.

It DOES matter, we need a backup RB!!!!!!!!!!!! :cuss:

BostonChief
07-09-2006, 12:41 PM

I firmly agree, but I couldn't live to see the day Priest Holmes was paralyzed.

Mr. Laz
07-09-2006, 12:42 PM
I have watch nobody sacrifice their bodies on the football field like Priest Holmes. If he can not play another down, he has earned all money due him.
he has already gotten all the money due him

he just trying to keep a little extra on the way out.

CupidStunt
07-09-2006, 12:44 PM

And just when you thought any average fan could run the Chiefs better than Carl Peterson....

Frazod
07-09-2006, 01:14 PM

If he's our backup RB, we'll have nothing but problems. LJ is the man now. Priest does not want to ride the pine. Both have giant egos, and LJ is a punk. We don't need that lockerroom headache.

I really wish we'd traded Holmes last year when we could have got some value for him. He's great, or more to the point he was great, but he's ended three of the past four years on IR and is a monstrous health liability.

Sadly, it's time to move on. For us and him (before he ends up crippled).

Deberg_1990
07-09-2006, 01:21 PM
Id love to have Priest back but at this point i have to wonder what his incentive to return would be?? He already has a SB ring and has all the $$$ he will ever need. He would probably be better served by retiring and eating Nachos all day on Sundays.

Demonpenz
07-09-2006, 01:22 PM
we need a backup just incase the other team decides to blitz fujita

Bowser
07-09-2006, 03:43 PM
we need a backup just incase the other team decides to blitz fujita

ROFL

Dammit, Demon! Let it go!

Bowser
07-09-2006, 03:47 PM
Two questions -

1) Why is LJ prepackaged with a "punk" label? Because he couldn't stand the bench? Does that make him a punk, or a competitor?

2) Does anyone know how player pensions in the NFL work? Is there a substantial increase after a players tenth year? If I'm correct, there is in baseball. Maybe it's similar in the NFL, and would drive Priest to come back, even with a potentially life altering injury (please note that I am in NO WAY questioning his heart. That guy has more drive than 99% of us).

Chiefs Pantalones
07-09-2006, 04:05 PM
RETIREEEEE ALREADYYYYYYYY!!!!!

Bwana
07-09-2006, 04:06 PM
He's done..............thanks for what you did Priest, you were fun to watch.

Hydrae
07-09-2006, 04:11 PM
he has already gotten all the money due him

he just trying to keep a little extra on the way out.

I believe that is what the hold up is as well, the question of whether it is his injury that forces him to retire or if he is retiring on his own. I think it makes a huge difference in regards to signing bonus money already paid to him. I am sure someone can explain this better than I can.

Hydrae
07-09-2006, 04:13 PM
Oh, and if he hasn't been able to work out, he will be better off coming off the bench for a while anyway. It takes a while to be ready to stand up to the beating of a season and Priest hasn't been the most durable throughout his career.

jspchief
07-09-2006, 04:44 PM
Two questions -

1) Why is LJ prepackaged with a "punk" label? Because he couldn't stand the bench? Does that make him a punk, or a competitor?

2) Does anyone know how player pensions in the NFL work? Is there a substantial increase after a players tenth year? If I'm correct, there is in baseball. Maybe it's similar in the NFL, and would drive Priest to come back, even with a potentially life altering injury (please note that I am in NO WAY questioning his heart. That guy has more drive than 99% of us).

1) Because he acted like a punk when he didn't get playing time. It's all fine and good to want to get on the field, but acting like a spoiled child when you don't get your way makes you a punk.

2) I doubt it. What would be the reasoning for having a big jump at year ten? If anything, I'd think the NFLPA would want good retirement packages that aligned with shorter careers that are more typical of the NFL.

As for the money thing, everyone seems to forget that the Chiefs restructured with Holmes this year. He took a big drop in base salary, and conventional wisdom would say that money was transferred into immediate guranteed money. Why would the Chiefs do that for a guy with one foot out the door? And if Holmes already got more money upfront, is he really going to care about the paltry 710k base?

Mr. Flopnuts
07-09-2006, 04:50 PM
1) Because he acted like a punk when he didn't get playing time. It's all fine and good to want to get on the field, but acting like a spoiled child when you don't get your way makes you a punk.

All the bullshit comments he's made along the way didn't help his cause either. Crying when Vermeil talked about taking off the diapers. All the shit that he has talked about KC and the people who live there. People who aren't punks keep most of those thoughts to themselves. Especially when they know those words are going to be printed, distributed, and read by millions of people.

rad
07-09-2006, 04:51 PM

2) I doubt it. What would be the reasoning for having a big jump at year ten? If anything, I'd think the NFLPA would want good retirement packages that aligned with shorter careers that are more typical of the NFL.

As for the money thing, everyone seems to forget that the Chiefs restructured with Holmes this year. He took a big drop in base salary, and conventional wisdom would say that money was transferred into immediate guranteed money. Why would the Chiefs do that for a guy with one foot out the door? And if Holmes already got more money upfront, is he really going to care about the paltry 710k base?

1) Hitting a woman didn't help, either.

Mr. Laz
07-09-2006, 04:58 PM
I believe that is what the hold up is as well, the question of whether it is his injury that forces him to retire or if he is retiring on his own. I think it makes a huge difference in regards to signing bonus money already paid to him. I am sure someone can explain this better than I can.
i think that's exactly it ...... Priest is trying to find some doctor that will say he CAN'T play anymore.

so he can keep his entire signing bonus and retire

or

the chiefs are trying to find a doctor that says Priest CAN keep on playing if he wants to.

so that Priest has to give back some of his signing bonus.

we don't know where it stands now but the best bet it one side or the other is trying to get the medical verdict changed so that the money goes to them.

jspchief
07-09-2006, 05:05 PM
i think that's exactly it ...... Priest is trying to find some doctor that will say he CAN'T play anymore.

so he can keep his entire signing bonus and retire

or

the chiefs are trying to find a doctor that says Priest CAN keep on playing if he wants to.

so that Priest has to give back some of his signing bonus.

we don't know where it stands now but the best bet it one side or the other is trying to get the medical verdict changed so that the money goes to them.So when the Chiefs restructered his contract, that would imply that both sides thought they had the angle. Seems a bit risky from the Chiefs FO.

Hydrae
07-09-2006, 05:18 PM
So when the Chiefs restructered his contract, that would imply that both sides thought they had the angle. Seems a bit risky from the Chiefs FO.

I am sure when they redid the contract last year, noone was expecting Priest to be in this situation.

jspchief
07-09-2006, 05:20 PM
I am sure when they redid the contract last year, noone was expecting Priest to be in this situation.They did it in March of this year. He was very much in this situation.

grandllama
07-09-2006, 05:33 PM

Bullshit. That is the angle the media took and you sheep ate it up hook line and sinker. Obviously everybody slamming LJ forgot what it was like to be young and still learning how to be mature. He said some things that sounded like a typical kid, and the media ran with it and all of a sudden LJ is a problem child.

Running over a cop in Minneapolis makes you a punk. Being an accessory to a murder makes you a punk. Wanting to play the game does NOT make you a punk.

Hydrae
07-09-2006, 05:34 PM
They did it in March of this year. He was very much in this situation.

Ah, I was under the mistaken impression this occurred a year ago. Never mind. :sulk:

jspchief
07-09-2006, 05:44 PM
Bullshit. That is the angle the media took and you sheep ate it up hook line and sinker. Obviously everybody slamming LJ forgot what it was like to be young and still learning how to be mature. He said some things that sounded like a typical kid, and the media ran with it and all of a sudden LJ is a problem child.

Running over a cop in Minneapolis makes you a punk. Being an accessory to a murder makes you a punk. Wanting to play the game does NOT make you a punk.You want a direct quote from Tony Gonzalez? "He was pissing me off. He was being a baby." "Larry floated. He didn't think he had to block hard in practice, and he did."

Vermeil told him that he had to be able to execute 17 pass protections in each week's gameplan. Do that and you play.

How about from the horse's mouth? LJ: "I was doing anything I could to be traded" "It got to the point where I didn't talk to them (the coaches)"

He admitted to skipping meetings, and when he did show up, he kept his playbook closed.

He didn't get his way, and he responded by acting like a punk. Blame it on immaturity if you want, but there are a lot of other players that come into this league at his age or younger and handle themselves a lot better than he did. He earned the label. Now it's up to him to shirk it.

luv
07-09-2006, 06:18 PM
You want a direct quote from Tony Gonzalez? "He was pissing me off. He was being a baby." "Larry floated. He didn't think he had to block hard in practice, and he did."

Vermeil told him that he had to be able to execute 17 pass protections in each week's gameplan. Do that and you play.

How about from the horse's mouth? LJ: "I was doing anything I could to be traded" "It got to the point where I didn't talk to them (the coaches)"

He admitted to skipping meetings, and when he did show up, he kept his playbook closed.

He didn't get his way, and he responded by acting like a punk. Blame it on immaturity if you want, but there are a lot of other players that come into this league at his age or younger and handle themselves a lot better than he did. He earned the label. Now it's up to him to shirk it.
I agree that he acted like a spoiled child. He was good and he knew it. He wanted the opportunity to show what he was made of. He didn't show off his character in a good light, but he proved himself athletically later. Most fans want to see their teams win. LJ helped ith that. I like to watch him play, but I agree he has a bit of a reputation for being a crybaby.

grandllama
07-09-2006, 06:30 PM
You want a direct quote from Tony Gonzalez? "He was pissing me off. He was being a baby." "Larry floated. He didn't think he had to block hard in practice, and he did."

Ah yes, the California Playboy.. thats one to listen to when it comes to locker room chemistry. While all this crap was going on, I heard the comments from LJ's locker mates... not some dude that was headed out on the next plane after the Sunday game to California to **** some playmate at Hef's mansion.

If you were a competitor... If you truly believe you were the best at what you do (athletically or otherwise)... and you were being ragged on by an old senile fart... and you saw no future... wouldn't you do anything you could to find a new job? Yeah, so what he was getting paid... well who the **** cares... to some people money isn't everything.

There is a reason we haven't won a superbowl since the year I was born... and a lot of it has to do with not having enough people with the drive, determination and sheer balls to be like LJ.

Moss is a punk... Lewis is a punk... Owens is a punk.... LJ is not a punk.

rad
07-09-2006, 06:33 PM
Just off topic a liitle.... Why have I heard people refer to LJ as Granmama?

luv
07-09-2006, 06:34 PM
Just off topic a liitle.... Why have I heard people refer to LJ as Granmama?
Considering the thread is about Holmes, I'd say we're already off topic.

grandllama
07-09-2006, 06:43 PM
Just off topic a liitle.... Why have I heard people refer to LJ as Granmama?...

basketball player that used to ads for a shoe company in old lady drag... Larry Johnson, Granmama...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Johnson_%28basketball%29

grandllama
07-09-2006, 06:44 PM
Considering the thread is about Holmes, I'd say we're already off topic.

nothing is off topic on night shift.

rad
07-09-2006, 06:45 PM

basketball player that used to ads for a shoe company in old lady drag... Larry Johnson, Granmama...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Johnson_%28basketball%29

Oh, alright. Thanks.