PDA

View Full Version : Ulcer - anyone else have one?

Moooo
07-09-2006, 10:37 PM
So, I'm getting ready to go to bed, when all of the sudden my ulcer starts acting up (feels like someone's holding a blowtorch to my stomach in this one spot). So far I have taken 3 helpings of alka-seltzer, a tagamet, and 2 prilosec with no relief.

Comically enough, the one thing that makes it feel better, Dr. Pepper. I am a scientifically minded person, and this confuses me. I don't get it, but it helps almost immediately. Especially considering I don't usually drink Dr. Pepper. I went and got one out of the vending machine, and... Aaaaaaahhhhhh!

Anyone else have any strange stories like that?

Moooo

luv
07-09-2006, 10:43 PM
They say Dr Pepper is nothing more than glorified prune juice.

Moooo
07-09-2006, 10:50 PM
They say Dr Pepper is nothing more than glorified prune juice.

Must be. The only thing I can think is that it somehow buffers the Acid in my stomach.

Moooo

ChiefFan31
That is interesting, considering that the Dr. Pepper is what probably gave you the ulcer to begin with.

Ulcers suck. I have had one or two.

luv
What caused it to act up? Stress? Something you ate?

Moooo
07-09-2006, 10:51 PM
What caused it to act up? Stress? Something you ate?

Don't know... Never do know

Strangely enough it almost ALWAYS hurts after I drink water of all things.

Moooo

Halfcan
07-09-2006, 10:52 PM
Not yet thankfully.

luv
07-09-2006, 10:57 PM
Take it easy with milk. Long thought to be a great soother for a burning ulcer, milk's rebound effect is now well established. "Although it buffers acid for a while [and thus provides brief relief]," Dr. Goldschmid says, "it actually stimulates more stomach acid secretion" and causes more pain later.

Use over-the-counter antacids. They may not cure an ulcer, "but they are a good treatment for symptoms," says Dr. Earnest.

Don't take too many pain relievers. Aspirin has the bad reputation, but nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs—which have become very popular—are at least as hard on the stomach lining as aspirin is, says Thomas Brasitus, M.D., a professor of medicine and director of gastroenterology at the University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine.

Don't light up. Yes, smoking even gets indicted for contributing to ulcers. Although there is no evidence that smoking causes ulcers, they are less likely to heal in smokers than nonsmokers, says Dr. Brasitus.

Let it out. "Some evidence suggests that people who are frustrated and don't express their feelings very well are more likely to get ulcers," says Michael Kimmey, M.D., an assistant professor of medicine at the University of Washington School of Medicine.

Double your meals. Although many doctors are saying three normal-size meals are fine, some people may have less ulcer upset if they eat six smaller meals, says Dr. Brasitus. Food neutralizes stomach acid.

Don't pump iron. "Iron is a gastric irritant," Dr. Goldschmid says. "People who take iron supplements might have a lot of upset if they have a gastric ulcer."

Live by the moderation motto. Too much of one food or beverage could upset an ulcer. Alcohol, by the way, is not necessarily an irritant. "Moderate drinking probably does not increase the risk of developing new ulcers," says Dr. Kurata.

Give it time. Sometimes that's all you can do. "Ulcers have cycles," Dr. Brasitus says. "A lot of them will burn out within a few years."

We're here for you, man.

Halfcan
07-09-2006, 10:59 PM
Paging doctor Luv....

SLAG
07-09-2006, 11:04 PM
Ulcers are interesting... they are almost always caused by stress/anxieity...

luv
07-09-2006, 11:06 PM
Paging doctor Luv....
I am an excellent listener.

Halfcan
07-09-2006, 11:07 PM

If you jam on Rush every day-you won't ever get sick and will live to 120.

Halfcan
07-09-2006, 11:07 PM
I am an excellent listener.

That is true.

ChiefFan31
07-09-2006, 11:35 PM

Absolutely, internalizing stress or being stressed out is the major cause IMHO. although my first was due to one hell of a hangover....damn that was a good day of partyin...

Iowanian
07-10-2006, 08:09 AM
I've fought them since I was 17.

While Stress is a definite factor, I think you'd find that most peptic ulcers are attributed to some bacteria with a $10 handle that resides in your stomoch. Doc will give you some kind of antibiotic to treat the bacteria. Fortunately for you, it might kick that Clamidia thing you're fighting too.

Milk coats the stomoch lining, but apparently calcium actually makes it worse in the long run, and I think that has to do with your gut churning more acid to deal with the calcium....Ironic how many rolaid/tums have "extra calcium".

If you're taking too much Ibuprofin...that can irritate a gut and inflame an ulcer. I take tylenol most of the time instead because of that.

Lay off the smoking, alcohol and caffine. Alot of the OTC acid reducers are pretty good. If you start barfing blood or crapping tar or coffee grounds, go to the doc.

MOhillbilly
07-10-2006, 08:15 AM
pfffff puking coffee grounds is fun.

that metal taste in your mouth after is the best.