PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox hire Allard Baird

tk13
07-10-2006, 03:35 PM
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2006/07/johnson_optione.html

Johnson optioned
By Gordon Edes, Globe Staff
A few news items from the Red Sox this afternoon ...

-The Sox optioned Jason Johnson to Single-A Wilmington today. Why Wilmington? So that he can start on Wednesday, when the Blue Rocks host Frederick. Triple-A Pawtucket is off until Thursday, and Double-A Portland does not play Tuesday and Wednesday due to the All-Star Break in both the International and Eastern Leagues.

-The team also hired former Royals general manager Allard Baird to be a special assignment scout.

-The Sox today signed third-round draft choice Bryce Cox.

ROYC75
07-10-2006, 04:03 PM
He should do well in that capacity....... IMHO, Being a GM for Glass was too much for him.

Halfcan
07-10-2006, 04:37 PM
The are cursed for 100 years now.

Sure-Oz
07-10-2006, 06:58 PM
Special assign. scout? Hopefully he will succeed atleast he is with a top organ.

beavis
07-10-2006, 07:01 PM
I really think that's what Allard is meant to do... I wish him the best.

Isn't he from Boston?

petegz28
07-10-2006, 08:04 PM
Yes probably a much much better scout than a GM.

Pitt Gorilla
07-10-2006, 08:05 PM
Great hire for the Sox.

Deberg_1990
07-10-2006, 08:08 PM
Yes probably a much much better scout than a GM.

That remains to be seen. Im not a big believer in Mr. (Nice Guy) Baird.

tk13
07-11-2006, 01:38 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/15009773.htm

Baird gets job with Red Sox
By BOB DUTTON
The Kansas City Star

Former Royals general manager Allard Baird returned to active duty Monday afternoon by accepting a job with the Boston Red Sox to serve as a special-assignment scout.

“I’m going to the Red Sox,” Baird confirmed from his home in Miami. “I’m getting on a plane at 6 a.m. (today). I had some opportunities after what went down in Kansas City, and I feel blessed about that, but I really feel this is the right one for me.”

Baird, 44, was fired May 31 by the Royals after nearly six years as general manager and 18 years in the organization.

“I’m not a real patient guy,” he said, “but after everything that happened, I made a commitment to be patient. I wanted to come home and spend some time with my wife.

“But when this opportunity came up … I just think it’s a great fit for me.”

Baird will perform various scouting tasks for Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein, including the evaluation of possible trade targets and free-agent acquisitions.

“Basically,” Baird said, “I’ll be doing whatever Theo and their management team want me to do. I’m really looking forward to working with Theo and everybody there.”

Baird is a native of Rochester, N.H., and grew up a Red Sox fan.

“I don’t know that it feels like I’m going home,” he said, “but I am excited about going to the Red Sox. We’ve been talking for a little while, and they’ve really been patient with me. The last 10 days, though, I’ve been getting antsy.”

Baird said he closely followed the Royals during his hiatus and will continue doing so.

“I’m glad to see they’re doing better lately,” he said. “I’ve had a couple of really good conversations with (owner) David Glass. He seems really enthused about the way things are going.”

Baird also pointed to the performances Sunday by outfielder Billy Butler and third baseman Alex Gordon, the club’s first-round picks in 2004 and 2005, in the All-Star Futures Game.

Butler was chosen the game’s most valuable player after hitting a single and a two-run homer. Gordon also had two hits and drove in two runs.

“It’s good for the fans to see that,” Baird said. “They hear about how good these players are, but it helps when something like that happens.”

In joining the Red Sox, Baird is switching from one of the game’s lowest-revenue clubs to one topped in net worth only by its archrival, the New York Yankees.

“The Red Sox expect to win every day,” he said. “This is a club whose goal every year is to win the World Series. That’s exciting.”

07-11-2006, 02:04 AM
Special assign. scout? Hopefully he will succeed atleast he is with a top organ.

At least the ownership there will spend money.