PDA

View Full Version : Movie of the Month: Your Recommendations

Mr. Kotter
07-10-2006, 08:45 PM
I thought this might be a good idea for an "on-going" thread....

Have you seen a GOOD movie, lately--one that you are stoked about? That you really would highly recommend to others here at the Planet? Theater or rental? :hmmm:

What is it? And why? What did you like about it?

See, my family will be at the lake for the next three weeks or so....and I will join them intermittently (mostly on weekends, because I'm still working,) but I will be able to catch up on some movies I've meant to see but haven't.

For instance, I just rented The Big Lebowski the other night.....what a friggin' hoot. Awesome, flick for those of us who grew-up/came-of-age in the 80's and 90's.....ROFL

Could be something that simple, or an entire "Gaz-Like" review....whatever floats your boat.....so let's get it started....:)

Moooo
07-10-2006, 08:47 PM
I saw Cinderella Man, which was good.

They totally jobbed Max Baer, though. In real life he was a humble person. He killed a man in the ring named Frankie Campbell (did some research), and put the man's kids through college because he was so stricken with guilt (along with having nightmares his whole life). In the movie, he was an asshole.

Moooo

stevieray
07-10-2006, 08:48 PM

They totally jobbed Max Baer, though. In real life he was a humble person. He killed a man in the ring, and put his kids through college because he was so stricken with guilt (along with having nightmares his whole life). In the movie, he was an asshole.

Moooo

He's also Jethro's dad

Mr. Kotter
07-10-2006, 08:48 PM

They totally jobbed Max Baer, though. In real life he was a humble person. He killed a man in the ring, and put the man's kids through college because he was so stricken with guilt (along with having nightmares his whole life). In the movie, he was an asshole.

Moooo

Exactly what I'm lookin' for....Thanks! :clap:

KcMizzou
07-10-2006, 08:49 PM
I saw "The Matador" last night. It was much better than I expected. I'm not a Pierce Brosnan fan at all, but he was really good in this.

Logical
07-10-2006, 08:51 PM
He's also Jethro's dadWho is Jethro? The guy who played Jethro in Beverly Hillbillys or someone else?

SLAG
07-10-2006, 08:53 PM
http://ia.imdb.com/media/imdb/01/I/96/54/18m.jpg
Run Ronnie Run

Not alot of people have seen this movie..

it went straight to DVD

FUNNY AS HELL... I can watch it over and over and find something funny each time....

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0258100/

* This movie was held by New Line Cinema for 2 1/2 years after it was completed. It was never released theatrically and was finally released on DVD September 16th 2003.

* Bob Odenkirk and David Cross have disowned the final cut of this movie.

Run Ronnie Run is a heart warming spin-off from the cult hit HBO series "Mr. Show". It is the story of Ronwell Quincy Dobbs (David Cross), who has a unique talent for getting arrest. A British television personality, Terry Twillstein (Bob Odenkirk), gets sight of Ronnie and brings Ronnie to Hollywood to get him his own TV show. Ronnie must then deal with his new life, while having to deal with missing his ex-wife that he left back home. This is a delightful comedy with countless celebrity cameos by Dave Foley, Jeff Goldblum, and Jack Black just to name a few. As well as many appearances by characters for the hit television series "Mr. Show".

banyon
07-10-2006, 08:54 PM
what kind of movies do you like, Kotter?

Moooo
07-10-2006, 08:55 PM
Who is Jethro? The guy who played Jethro in Beverly Hillbillys or someone else?

The one and only...

Here's Max

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/8f/Baermaxcutkirkpic.jpeg/200px-Baermaxcutkirkpic.jpeg

And here's Max Jr.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/27/Jethro211.jpg

Moooo

stevieray
07-10-2006, 08:56 PM
The guy who played Jethro in Beverly Hillbillies

Yes sir.

beavis
07-10-2006, 08:57 PM
I watched Derailed the other night and was pleasantly surprised. Don't expect anything fantastic, but it's definately worth a rental.

Mr. Kotter
07-10-2006, 08:59 PM
what kind of movies do you like, Kotter?
I really like just about anything, except wacko Sci-Fi stuff, or depressing stuff (unless it's historical, then it's okay....Schindler's List, for instance)

We see comedies and romantic comedies (on rare occasion, a highly recommended drama)....because my wife wants to laugh/be entertained seeing a movie. So something outside those genres would be good....

Miles
07-10-2006, 09:01 PM
Two recent releases that are really damn good:

"Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang" Comedy/action flick and may be to most entertaining movie I have seen in quite a while.

"Syriana" Political thriller that reminded me a bit of how the story in Traffic was told.

pr_capone
07-10-2006, 09:01 PM
Little heard of movie called "Swing Kids" starring Robert Sean Leonard of "House" fame and Christian Bale of "Batman Begins" fame.

http://www.impawards.com/1993/posters/swing_kids.jpg

http://imdb.com/title/tt0108265/

58-4ever
07-10-2006, 09:03 PM
I would highly recommend Capote if you like movies with good dialouge and characters.

Eleazar
07-10-2006, 09:04 PM
If you haven't seen Hotel Rwanda, I think that one is a must-see.

Mr. Kotter
Two recent releases that are really damn good:

"Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang" Comedy/action flick and may be to most entertaining movie I have seen in quite a while.

"Syriana" Political thriller that reminded me a bit of how the story in Traffic was told.Thanks. I've noticed you and a couple of others seem to speak intelligently and at length about movies....and hope you will feel free to share your expertise and passion, with those of us who just don't get to the movies much.

Hell, this way, I won't even need to keep a list....I'll just have to check the thread before heading to the theater or Block Buster. heh.

:thumb:

SLAG
Little heard of movie called "Swing Kids" starring Robert Sean Leonard of "House" fame and Christian Bale of "Batman Begins" fame.

Swing Kids is a GREAT FLICK

Mr. Kotter
07-10-2006, 09:06 PM

FABULOUS, movie....too bad it didn't do better at the box office.

I show it to my American History classes, prior to WWII....after we finish the Great Depression/New Deal. It sets up WWII wonderfully.

pr_capone
07-10-2006, 09:07 PM
Swing Kids is a GREAT FLICK

Most definately. The song Bei Mir Bist Du Schoen, sung by Janis Siegel, is by far my favorite swing song.

Are you into the Lindy scene SLAG?

banyon
07-10-2006, 09:17 PM
I really like just about anything, except wacko Sci-Fi stuff, or depressing stuff (unless it's historical, then it's okay....Schindler's List, for instance)

We see comedies and romantic comedies (on rare occasion, a highly recommended drama)....because my wife wants to laugh/be entertained seeing a movie. So something outside those genres would be good....

Here's a few of my lesser known, more palatable favorites over the last 10-15 years:

Ghost Dog- Forrest Whittaker as a bad-a** urban samurai

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind- Jim Carey in a (slightly sci-fi) account of having his girlfriend erase her memory of him from her mind.

Memento- Dude can't remember anything for more than 5 minutes while trying to find his wife's killer

Tape- Ethan Hawke, Uma Thurman duke it out emotionally all shot in one lousy motel room.

The Ice Storm- Kevin Kline goes to a "key party", kids Tobey Maguire and Cristina Ricci discover adulthood in the 70s.

The Shape of Things- Rachel Weisz as eccentric girlfriend with unique artistic instincts (or if you're in the mood for something a little more disturbing by Neil Labute, then In the Company of Men)

just my 2 cents for stuff that's a little indie and probably won't trigger your Liberal puke alarm.

KcMizzou
07-10-2006, 09:22 PM
I'd suggest watching "Clerks" again to prepare for "Clerks 2".

:)

(kidding... probably not a good idea for "family movie night")

Miles
07-10-2006, 09:23 PM
Thanks. I've noticed you and a couple of others seem to speak intelligently and at length about movies....and hope you will feel free to share your expertise and passion, with those of us who just don't get to the movies much.

Hell, this way, I won't even need to keep a list....I'll just have to check the thread before heading to the theater or Block Buster. heh.

:thumb:

If you want a good historical flick check out Spielberg's "Munich".

Another I would highly recommend is "Downfall". It covers the final days in Hitlers bunker at the end of WWII. Its in German so you would have to be able to tolerate subtitles but its not the least bit one of those artsy Foreign flicks.

banyon
07-10-2006, 09:27 PM
If you want a good historical flick check out Spielberg's "Munich".

Another I would highly recommend is "Downfall". It covers the final days in Hitlers bunker at the end of WWII. Its in German so you would have to be able to tolerate subtitles but its not the least bit one of those artsy Foreign flicks.

Yes, Downfall is awesome. Even though Bruno Ganz does a really good job portraying Hitler, for some reason I'm a lot more frightened by Frau Goebbels. :(

Deberg_1990
07-10-2006, 09:30 PM

Hahah...Christian Bale must have had a thing for musicals back in the day. He also starred in the huge Disney flop "Newsies" back in 92. Hardly anyone rememebers it now, but it was pretty huge money loser for Disney. It actually has some pretty decent dance sequences in though. Its just been released on DVD.

Deberg_1990
07-10-2006, 09:32 PM

I couldnt agree more. Most entertaining movie ive seen in a long time. Believe it or not Robert Downey Jr. rocks in this. Val Kilmer is a hoot! Great, funny dialouge by Shane (Lethal Weapon, Last Boy Scout, Long Kiss Goodnight) Black.

Rausch
07-10-2006, 09:33 PM
I really liked Suspect 0.

I remember it when it first came out and passed. I was surprised how good it was. Oh, and there are some really cool extras on the dvd.

Solid renter movie...

Mr. Kotter
07-10-2006, 09:37 PM
I'd suggest watching "Clerks" again to prepare for "Clerks 2".

:)

(kidding... probably not a good idea for "family movie night")

I'll have to run those throught IMDB...:hmmm:

DJJasonp
07-10-2006, 10:09 PM
Stay with Ewan McGregor was an outstanding film. Anyone who liked Memento should see it. One of the best films I've seen this year...hands down.

Also...I agree with others....I was very pleasantly surprised with Kiss Kiss Bang Bang...hilarious.

Halfcan
07-10-2006, 10:12 PM
Layer Cake-a gangsta film.

Underworld2-not as good as the first

Shallow Grave-Ewen Mcgregor-3 friends get a suitcase full of money.

DJJasonp
07-10-2006, 10:42 PM
Layer Cake-a gangsta film.

Underworld2-not as good as the first

Shallow Grave-Ewen Mcgregor-3 friends get a suitcase full of money.

All 3 excellent choices.....Layer Cake didnt get much publicity, but a fine film.....the main character is the new James Bond.

07-10-2006, 10:44 PM
The Greatest Game Ever Played.

I am a sucker for any underdog story though.

Demonpenz
07-10-2006, 10:52 PM
what about donnie darko

SLAG
07-10-2006, 10:52 PM
what about donnie darko

Donnie Brasco

Demonpenz
07-10-2006, 10:57 PM
donnie and marie

Otter
07-10-2006, 10:57 PM
Here's a couple good one's that you may not have seen:

The Way of the Gun
City of God
Primal Fear
Killing Zoe
Kalifornia
Suicide Kings
Mulholland Drive (if you're a Lynch Fan)
Miracle
Enemy at the Gates
The Man Who Wasn't There
The Grudge
Mystic River
The Hudsucker Proxy
The Insider
Arlington Road

I'm not writing a review for all of them, look them up HERE (http://www.imdb.com/) if you want the low down. :D

07-10-2006, 10:58 PM
Here's a couple good one's that you may not have seen:

The Way of the Gun
City of God
Primal Fear
Killing Zoe
Kalifornia
Suicide Kings
Mulholland Drive (if you're a Lynch Fan)
Miracle
Enemy at the Gates
The Man Who Wasn't There
The Grudge
Mystic River
The Hudsucker Proxy
The Insider
Arlington Road

I'm not writing a review for all of them, look them up HERE (http://www.imdb.com/) if you want the low down. :D

A couple?

Mr. Kotter
07-10-2006, 11:21 PM
The Greatest Game Ever Played.

I am a sucker for any underdog story though.

I liked Radio/Rudi/Coach Carter....so...:hmmm:

SLAG
07-10-2006, 11:23 PM

The Water Boy?

:shrug:

:p

Miles
07-10-2006, 11:27 PM

If you play golf at all or are even just a little familar with the US Open its really a solid movie. Upbeat Disney underdog story that isn't overly cheasy.

Directed by Chet.

http://adorocinema.cidadeinternet.com.br/filmes/mulher-nota-1000/mulher-nota-1000-02.jpg

Cartman
07-10-2006, 11:40 PM
I hear Brokeback Mountain rocks.

Halfcan
07-11-2006, 12:11 AM
All 3 excellent choices.....Layer Cake didnt get much publicity, but a fine film.....the main character is the new James Bond.

Yep, and does an excellent job at playing a drug dealer trying to get out of the business.

Shallow Grave was a descent one also.

keg in kc
07-11-2006, 12:34 AM
I really enjoyed "The DaVinci Load". Missy Monroe gave a really solid performance.

ChiefFan31
07-11-2006, 12:42 AM
I couldnt agree more. Most entertaining movie ive seen in a long time. Believe it or not Robert Downey Jr. rocks in this. Val Kilmer is a hoot! Great, funny dialouge by Shane (Lethal Weapon, Last Boy Scout, Long Kiss Goodnight) Black.

I third that notion. I was more than pleasantly surprised at this one. I really enjoyed it.

I saw another say Stay. That is a good movie as well. psychological thriller if you are into that type of movie

Tribal Warfare
07-11-2006, 01:03 AM
a good kid flick would be Cars, I was pleasantly surprised

Superman was damn good

Pirates 2 was a good pop corn flick. Most people get huffy and puffy with semantics, but this movie accomplishes it's objective and that's a funtime

Tribal Warfare
07-11-2006, 01:06 AM
King of New York

starring Christopher Walken, Laurence Fishburne, and Wesley Snipes

classic Walken movie

Mr. Kotter
07-11-2006, 06:52 AM
I really enjoyed "The DaVinci Load". Missy Monroe gave a really solid performance.

I missed that the first time through....heh.

Sorry, Kyle. I don't shop the XXX section. ROFL

KChiefs1
07-11-2006, 06:57 AM
If you enjoy Christian Bale movies you should see "The Machinist". Interesting movie that he lost 60lbs to get the part.

If you are wanting an older flick I just saw "Straw Dogs" for the first time in about 20 years & it was awesome again.

Dartgod
07-11-2006, 07:16 AM
Dark Water with Jennifer Connelly is a pretty good horror flick. It's based on a Japanese film from Hideo Nakata (The Ring), remade by director Walter Salles.

Although it's a horror movie, there is nothing about the film that outright scares you. I can best describe it as really f***ing creepy.

Mr. Kotter
07-11-2006, 10:31 AM
Dark Water with Jennifer Connelly is a pretty good horror flick. It's based on a Japanese film from Hideo Nakata (The Ring), remade by director Walter Salles.

Although it's a horror movie, there is nothing about the film that outright scares you. I can best describe it as really f***ing creepy.

Eh, I don't know....those are the worst kinds of movies for me. The only type of horror flick that sticks with me, and not in a good way. :(

Frazod
07-11-2006, 10:55 AM

Another good little-known Christian Bale film is Equilibrium, which is sort of a Logan's Run meets 1984 with a dash of Matrix thrown in. It isn't terribly original (hell, it isn't original at all), but it has some great gun and sword play, and is very well done and extremely entertaining.

RedandGold
07-11-2006, 11:31 AM
16 Blocks and Capote were two of the better rentals that I've viewed recently.

The Matatdor was definitely "different", but I enjoyed it. It certainly wasn't the type of performance that you would expect out of Pierce Brosnan.

Deberg_1990
07-11-2006, 08:33 PM
Another good little-known Christian Bale film is Equilibrium, which is sort of a Logan's Run meets 1984 with a dash of Matrix thrown in. It isn't terribly original (hell, it isn't original at all), but it has some great gun and sword play, and is very well done and extremely entertaining.

That movie rocked! I saw it a couple of years ago and loved it! The director of that recently came out with a new flick called "Ultraviolet" which i want to rent but the reviews were terrible for it. They did say that the action scenes were very good in it though. Equilibruim had some great action scenes.

stevieray
07-11-2006, 08:59 PM

She is smokin hot.

Fish
07-11-2006, 09:10 PM
The Million Dollar Hotel (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120753/)

Staring Mel Gibson, Milla Jovovich

Excellent flick that didn't get any publicity...

Moooo
07-11-2006, 09:13 PM
I hear Brokeback Mountain rocks.

Its not bad. I vowed not to watch it cause I said I wouldn't contribute to the financial success of Ang Lee ever again (after the Hulk). But my friend's fiancee rented it, so I watched it seeing how I didn't pay anything to see it.

The one thing that confused me is the whole movie is trying to make the watcher empathise with their relationship and help them realize they didn't want to be what they were, but yet Ang, IMO, isolates the watcher by making the first sex scene way too racy. It really took away the love aspect of their relationship and made it more of a "get your rocks off" thing. After that their relationship seemed dirty. It'd kinda be like if they put some graphic sex scene in Romeo and Juliet, that implied penetration. It would really distract a person from enjoying the movie artistically.

I wouldn't watch it if anyone viewing is a homophobe (obviously), but if you can get over that, it's not bad, and you might like it more than I did.

Moooo

keg in kc
07-11-2006, 09:22 PM
I don't shop the XXX section.Of course you don't.

That's what the internet's for.

Halfcan
07-12-2006, 12:51 AM
Munich-it rocks.

Hammock Parties
07-12-2006, 03:19 AM
Whatever you do, Do not, and I repeat, DO NOT watch Ultra Violet!! It has to be the worst movie I have ever seen in my entire life. I usually dont have movies, if its stupid, i dont usually make fun of it, but I have to make fun of this movie because its the worst ive ever seen.

Hammock Parties
07-12-2006, 03:22 AM
A great movie not too many people have heard of, which I thought was a really kick ass movie, is Pool Hall Junkies. I cant remember any of the actors names, but its a rpety good one.

Hammock Parties
07-12-2006, 03:25 AM
Oh yah, cant forget Memento. A very great thinker movie to watch. The Matrix girl is in it.

RedandGold
07-12-2006, 06:19 AM
A great movie not too many people have heard of, which I thought was a really kick ass movie, is Pool Hall Junkies. I cant remember any of the actors names, but its a rpety good one.

Walken and Rick Schroeder were both in that movie. Very entertaining.

MahiMike
07-12-2006, 07:51 AM
We saw Tokyo Drift while on vacation. I hadn't seen the 1st 2 Fast and Furious films but wanted to see this one. It was cool how they raced while skidding. Oh and the Japanese chicks were awesome!

Mr. Kotter
07-15-2006, 08:32 AM
Bump for Immaculate