PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Chiefs DL Rankings

Chiefnj
07-11-2006, 10:29 AM
For all you numbers crunchers here is an interesting site that ranks the DL of all NFL teams using a mathematical formula that is so complex your head would explode if you even attempted to read and understand it:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/dl.php

What is very interesting, IMO, is the yardage gained running to the left and right of KC's DL. Surprisingly Jared Allen's side is better against the run than Hicks'. Teams had the most success (yards per carry) running wide to Eric's side, but yet did so infrequently.

Mr. Laz
07-11-2006, 11:31 AM
thanks ...

we've need to get Hicks out of the starting lineup for 5 years.

tiptap
07-11-2006, 11:36 AM
I have been using FO site for 3 years now. It is important when looking at the direction for defense that you look at the total tendencies of offenses first. Over the last 4 years there have been at most 2 teams per season that DIDN'T run over half of the running plays between the tackles. So it shouldn't be surprising if teams didn't frequent outside tackle on Erics side of the ball. One of those teams that does get outside of tackle more than most is the Denver Broncos. And that would be why knowing our trouble with that teams running game, we have that high number going outside.

htismaqe
07-11-2006, 11:58 AM
Football outsiders is a great site, it lends some insight that you might not otherwise get.

For me, it reinforces the importance of the Hali pick. While we may have been able to get a more explosive pass rusher at that spot, Hali is a well-rounded hard worker and we STILL need help against the run on that side.

Chiefnj
07-11-2006, 01:00 PM
So it shouldn't be surprising if teams didn't frequent outside tackle on Erics side of the ball.

What I was surprised with was the fact that teams averaged around 4.5 ALY wide right (defenses left - Hicks) and a 3.37 ALY wide left (defense right - Allen) and that teams ran to the highest ALY (wide right) the smallest percentage of the time - 10%.

htismaqe
07-11-2006, 01:04 PM
What I was surprised with was the fact that teams averaged around 4.5 ALY wide right (defenses left - Hicks) and a 3.37 ALY wide left (defense right - Allen) and that teams ran to the highest ALY (wide right) the smallest percentage of the time - 10%.

Well, you have to consider that alot of times teams run WITH their strengths, rather than AT the opponent's weakness.

The Chiefs for instance, ran ALOT to the left, because the LT is Willie Roaf, not because the other team's RDE sucked.

Chiefnj
07-11-2006, 01:25 PM
Well, you have to consider that alot of times teams run WITH their strengths, rather than AT the opponent's weakness.

The Chiefs for instance, ran ALOT to the left, because the LT is Willie Roaf, not because the other team's RDE sucked.

That's probably the case. But if I were facing a team that was essentially giving up one more yard per carry in a particular direction, I might be inclined to try to run at it.

I wonder how many 10+ yard carries were to each of the respective sides of the DL.

htismaqe
07-11-2006, 01:36 PM
That's probably the case. But if I were facing a team that was essentially giving up one more yard per carry in a particular direction, I might be inclined to try to run at it.

I wonder how many 10+ yard carries were to each of the respective sides of the DL.

That would be interesting as well, but then you're bringing in the LB's and CB's to the equation...