PDA

View Full Version : OK I was wrong......

BIG_DADDY
07-11-2006, 12:07 PM
About his driving and cell phone thing. I am not big on unnecessary legislation but it is getting ridiculous out there. It seems like over 50% of the major driving mistakes I see on a consistant basis involve some tard on a cell phone. I have no idea why these ****ing idiots can't drive and use a cell phone at the same time but it is quite obviously a very real issue. Now I am not saying I am for an outright ban but then again maybe I should be. I am not sure what the answer is. I know I am not for Tardville PC BS legislation that would make someone guilty just because they were on the phone when the accident happened much like we do with insurance and DUI. Maybe doubling the fine if a mistake is made when using the phone. I don't know but I am open to suggestions.

Saulbadguy
07-11-2006, 12:09 PM
I'd like them to be consistent, that is all I ask for.

If you ban cell phones, you should also ban eating, drinking (anything), turning the dials on your radio, picking out a new CD to put in, etc etc.

wutamess
07-11-2006, 12:13 PM
Well i know I totalled my Rodeo while on the phone... (I ran a read light and T boned a person). I cut down on my on the phone activities while on the phone and now the road is #1 and the conversation is #2.

Glad to see you've changed your mind as talking on the phone and paying attention is easier said than done. I wouldn't be opposed to a ban.

BIG_DADDY
07-11-2006, 12:14 PM
Well i know I totalled my Rodeo while on the phone... (I ran a read light and T boned a person). I cut down on my on the phone activities while on the phone and now the road is #1 and the conversation is #2.

Glad to see you've changed your mind as talking on the phone and paying attention is easier said than done. I wouldn't be opposed to a ban.

Don't get me wrong I don't have an issue using my cell and driving it's the other people that pay no attention that are almost killing me.

beavis
07-11-2006, 12:14 PM
I'm starting to lean this way too. I had a women stop in the dead center of an intersection this morning while talking on her cell phone.

Maybe instead of banning cellphones we should just keep stupid people from driving.

Saulbadguy
07-11-2006, 12:15 PM
I'm starting to lean this way too. I had a women stop in the dead center of an intersection this morning while talking on her cell phone.

Maybe instead of banning cellphones we should just keep stupid people from driving.
I see people do stupid shit all the time while driving that doesn't involve cell phones.

bkkcoh
07-11-2006, 12:16 PM

There would be a lot less traffic on my way to and from work.....

Gallagher said that we should have those suction dart guns and every time that we see someone do something stupid on the road, we should shoot them. If a cop see a car with 10 darts on their car, they can get a ticket for being stupid..... :clap:

BIG_DADDY
07-11-2006, 12:19 PM

If you ban cell phones, you should also ban eating, drinking (anything), turning the dials on your radio, picking out a new CD to put in, etc etc.

I don't know why it is difficult to do two things for so many people. YOu wait till there are no cars around you or your sitting at a stop light to make your call and then pay attension to your driving. I haven't noticed that other shit being an issue but cells are on almost a daily basis. I am more inclined to go with doubling fines for anyone on a cell when they do anything wrong.

Saulbadguy
07-11-2006, 12:21 PM
I don't know why it is difficult to do two things for so many people. YOu wait till there are no cars around you or your sitting at a stop light to make your call and then pay attension to your driving. I haven't noticed that other shit being an issue but cells are on almost a daily basis. I am more inclined to go with doubling fines for anyone on a cell when they do anything wrong.
You haven't noticed them because cell phones are highly visible. The other acts aren't, for the most part. They still do the same thing, distract the driver.

wutamess
07-11-2006, 12:22 PM

Not going to make a difference... Noone know's I was on a cell until now. I sure as hell wasn't going to tell the police... "I was on my cell".

~ guilty of being "the stupid cell phone driver idiot"

MOhillbilly
07-11-2006, 12:23 PM
its always some stupid fat broad w/ a car seat or three,****ing pulling out in traffic w/ out looking.
when you narrowly avoid said tards, they look at you w/ a mix of puzzelment, and ****youidness.

Pitt Gorilla
07-11-2006, 12:25 PM
I don't know why it is difficult to do two things for so many people. YOu wait till there are no cars around you or your sitting at a stop light to make your call and then pay attension to your driving. I haven't noticed that other shit being an issue but cells are on almost a daily basis. I am more inclined to go with doubling fines for anyone on a cell when they do anything wrong.No, the people at the stoplight are the worst. The light turns green and they refuse to go for another 7-10 seconds. No thanks.

bogie
07-11-2006, 12:27 PM
Don't get me wrong I don't have an issue using my cell and driving it's the other people that pay no attention that are almost killing me.

Unfortunately, this is why there needs to be Govt. regulations. There are a lot of "other people" out there that you and I need to be protected from.

Calcountry
07-11-2006, 12:28 PM

If you ban cell phones, you should also ban eating, drinking (anything), turning the dials on your radio, picking out a new CD to put in, etc etc.Might as well make the steering wheel have heartbeat sensors like the ones on treadmills. IF the car doesn't sense a pulse from both hands, then the car stalls.

Calcountry
07-11-2006, 12:30 PM

Gallagher said that we should have those suction dart guns and every time that we see someone do something stupid on the road, we should shoot them. If a cop see a car with 10 darts on their car, they can get a ticket for being stupid..... :clap:Naw, the real solution to having so many stupid chit drivers on the road, is to get the price of gas up to 5 dollars a gallon. ;)

Hydrae
07-11-2006, 12:33 PM
As to people having issues talking on the phone and having trouble driving at the same time, I have a challenge for you. Get on the phone (any phone) and turn on the television. After 5 minutes, can you relate both the phone conversation and what was happening on the TV? Doubtful for most people.

I have the best solution, auto-cars that drive themselves. We should be to this point by now techonologically and would resolve this issue as well as issue with drunk drivers, etc.

BIG_DADDY
07-11-2006, 12:37 PM
Not going to make a difference... Noone know's I was on a cell until now. I sure as hell wasn't going to tell the police... "I was on my cell".

~ guilty of being "the stupid cell phone driver idiot"

This legislation is being considered and if it was passed they would ask you if you have a cell and if you said no they would look for one if you were guilty of causing an accident. They can check and see if you were on at the time of the accident.

Fish
07-11-2006, 12:37 PM
http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/5427/someasshole4tn.jpg

BIG_DADDY
07-11-2006, 12:38 PM
No, the people at the stoplight are the worst. The light turns green and they refuse to go for another 7-10 seconds. No thanks.

Or my favorite in the right lane turning right with no traffic coming refusing to go looking down the road like they expect a missle to take them out or something. :cuss:

Calcountry
07-11-2006, 12:44 PM
As to people having issues talking on the phone and having trouble driving at the same time, I have a challenge for you. Get on the phone (any phone) and turn on the television. After 5 minutes, can you relate both the phone conversation and what was happening on the TV? Doubtful for most people.

I have the best solution, auto-cars that drive themselves. We should be to this point by now techonologically and would resolve this issue as well as issue with drunk drivers, etc.Yep, and it would really suck when the network dropped the signal to my car.

wutamess
07-11-2006, 12:44 PM
Say what you want...

The worst drivers are those old white fuggers with the white hair in the police looking Crown Vics/ Grand Marquis' that everyone slows down to because they think they're the police.

bogie
07-11-2006, 12:49 PM
http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/5427/someasshole4tn.jpg

I was stuck in bumper to bumper traffic for 15 - 20 minutes. I was sure there was a wreck ahead. It was one of these signs that was causing the bumper to bumper traffic. As soon as we got past the sign, the traffic opened up. Dumbasses had to slow down to read the sign!!
:banghead:

Eleazar
07-11-2006, 12:50 PM
Say what you want...

The worst drivers are those old white fuggers with the white hair in the police looking Crown Vics/ Grand Marquis' that everyone slows down to because they think they're the police.

I will take the super short women driving the urban assault vehicles over the old people. At least the old people are going slow and being overly cautious. The 5'2" lady in the ford excursion can't see the area around her even on the off chance a thought is given to other traffic.

And plus, if I get hit by some old lady in her '82 Cutlass, no big deal. The soccer mom's tank on wheels is going to turn me into dog food.

Calcountry
07-11-2006, 12:51 PM
No, the people at the stoplight are the worst. The light turns green and they refuse to go for another 7-10 seconds. No thanks.The real problem is people somehow feel bound to old phone protocalls, like, not hanging up on someone.

It is understood within my circle of friends, that if I say, "let me go" or "traffic", or "Ill call you later". That I don't have to wait for them to say "goodbye" and all that crap.

Traffic, and the phone is on the chair.

If I have to talk for any length of time, I clip the phone to the visor, and put it on speaker, it works great, both hands are free, no freakazoid blue tooth falling out of my ear when I have to look into my blindspot.

Which reminds me, it is starting to piss me off when foos are walking arround "talking to themselves" with this cyborg chit in their ear. Give it a rest, stay at the office, get your work done. When you are off, you are off, don't take the calls unless it is important. Then go be like Superman and find you a booth to take that blue tooth call in.

Now there is an Idea. How bout Ma Bell bring back the privacy booths, only they can charge a dollar just for people to open the door and enter the things to take their cell phone calls.

Chief Faithful
07-11-2006, 12:52 PM
Unfortunately, this is why there needs to be Govt. regulations. There are a lot of "other people" out there that you and I need to be protected from.

So how do we legislate the butt head in front of me this morning trying to drive while taking off his shoes and shaking out the dirt out his window? He was a greater danger than anyone on a cell phone.

Chief Faithful
07-11-2006, 01:00 PM
I was stuck in bumper to bumper traffic for 15 - 20 minutes. I was sure there was a wreck ahead. It was one of these signs that was causing the bumper to bumper traffic. As soon as we got past the sign, the traffic opened up. Dumbasses had to slow down to read the sign!!
:banghead:

In Chicago there used to be a Bulls billboard of Rodman which changed hair color every day. They had to remove the billboard because the rubber neckers had to slow down to see the color of the day causing big traffic jams.

tk13
07-11-2006, 01:00 PM

I don't know about some of those. I'm sure there's someone somewhere who this doesn't apply to, but I think taking a drink of something is a 'involuntary" type action for me. I don't have to think about it, and I don't have to take my eyes off the highway or change my sense of focus. To engage in a conversation on a cell phone however, your brain actually has to go somewhere else. That sounds really weird, but it makes sense in my head...haha.

bogie
07-11-2006, 01:01 PM
So how do we legislate the butt head in front of me this morning trying to drive while taking off his shoes and shaking out the dirt out his window? He was a greater danger than anyone on a cell phone.

You probably can't. That doesn't mean you can't regulate dumbasses on their cells though. It's only a matter of time before some brainiack puts a keyboard on the steering wheel so you can send text messages while driving.

Chief Faithful
07-11-2006, 01:05 PM
You probably can't. That doesn't mean you can't regulate dumbasses on their cells though. It's only a matter of time before some brainiack puts a keyboard on the steering wheel so you can send text messages while driving.

Text messaging, you have just taken this discussion to a whole new level.

I have a friend that used to read driving down the road. I'm not talking about the daily paper he used to read paperback novels.

bogie
07-11-2006, 01:06 PM
In Chicago there used to be a Bulls billboard of Rodman which changed hair color every day. They had to remove the billboard because the rubber neckers had to slow down to see the color of the day causing big traffic jams.

People are unbelievable.

Pitt Gorilla
07-11-2006, 01:28 PM
The real problem is people somehow feel bound to old phone protocalls, like, not hanging up on someone.

It is understood within my circle of friends, that if I say, "let me go" or "traffic", or "Ill call you later". That I don't have to wait for them to say "goodbye" and all that crap.

Traffic, and the phone is on the chair.

If I have to talk for any length of time, I clip the phone to the visor, and put it on speaker, it works great, both hands are free, no freakazoid blue tooth falling out of my ear when I have to look into my blindspot.

Which reminds me, it is starting to piss me off when foos are walking arround "talking to themselves" with this cyborg chit in their ear. Give it a rest, stay at the office, get your work done. When you are off, you are off, don't take the calls unless it is important. Then go be like Superman and find you a booth to take that blue tooth call in.

Now there is an Idea. How bout Ma Bell bring back the privacy booths, only they can charge a dollar just for people to open the door and enter the things to take their cell phone calls.On a related note, what's with the tards wearing their bluetooth ear thing when they aren't on the phone. Is it an attention thing? "Hey, look at me! I can afford an ear thing!! I'm so pizzimp!!"

Eleazar
07-11-2006, 01:32 PM
"Hey, look at me! I can afford an ear thing!! I'm so pizzimp!!"

I have a bluetooth thing, but only cause it came free with my phone. I mean, they don't even cost money anymore. It's a throw-in.

Frazod
07-11-2006, 01:32 PM
In Chicago there used to be a Bulls billboard of Rodman which changed hair color every day. They had to remove the billboard because the rubber neckers had to slow down to see the color of the day causing big traffic jams.It wasn't the hair - it was the stare.

It wasn't a billboard, but rather the side of building next to the Kennedy Expressway that always featured some sort of gigantic painting. The work was always high quality, and often featured Chicago sports personalities. The Rodman painting had a mesmurizing stare to it. I remember being caught in the traffic jams until they did away with it; people would simply gawk at the thing like they were hypnotized. Nothing on that building before or after affected people in the same way.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-11-2006, 01:45 PM

Let's take it one step further. I firmly believe that if a law is passed it should be for hands free use of a cell phone. If that is not done, let's ban talking to other people in your car, because chances are you take your eyes off the road to make contact with your passengers whereas on a phone there is no one to look at but the road.

Bearcat
07-11-2006, 01:50 PM
I think having a law against people that can't drive and use their cell phone is just like creating a law against stupid people having kids, or along the lines of having warnings on hot coffee... there are enough stupid people that we may need a law one day, but it sure does suck for those of us that know what we're doing.

Heh... met a deaf girl in a class last semester, and she was incredibly adament about how she should be able to use her Sidekick while driving since people use their cell phones.... her argument kind of falls apart when she mentions driving with her knees, not to mention the extra time it takes to look down (even though I swear she can type like 90 wpm on the thing).

We drove down State Line, Ward Parkway, Wornall on the way to school one night, and she's actually pretty good at it. I'm not condoning it by any means, but she only used it when it was a clear straight away and no one was beside her or close in front. The funny thing was we were almost there and some asshat veered into our lane and almost hit us, and he wasn't even on a cell phone. Again, I know this doesn't justify it... but she's been doing it for years without incident.

Calcountry
07-11-2006, 01:53 PM
On a related note, what's with the tards wearing their bluetooth ear thing when they aren't on the phone. Is it an attention thing? "Hey, look at me! I can afford an ear thing!! I'm so pizzimp!!"I call them cyborgs. lol

Simplex3
07-11-2006, 01:56 PM

Gallagher said that we should have those suction dart guns and every time that we see someone do something stupid on the road, we should shoot them. If a cop see a car with 10 darts on their car, they can get a ticket for being stupid..... :clap:
FINALLY. I knew I'd gotten that from some comedian but couldn't remember who.

I've advocated an updated high-tech version of this. Sort of like laser tag. Every car is armeded with sensors and the ability to "tag" another vehicle. If you see someone driving stupid you tag their car. If someone's car gets, say, 5 tags inside one hour the car turns off and won't start for 10 minutes. Basically it's a forced timeout for dumbass adults.

Fish
07-11-2006, 02:14 PM
People are unbelievable.

Darwin just isn't working hard enough......

Society as a whole isn't challenged enough.... we have all but eliminated survival of the fittest and allowed the opportunity for total idiots to cruise through life without learning or working for what they need to survive..... and they breed with other idiots and create new families full of idiots..... entire families that lack the common sense to provide for themselves and the runts that fall freely from their loins...

Society starts providing for them from the start and they start relying more and more on the system, to the point that the system must constantly support them, because they don't know any better... and this is what we're left with....

But there I go off on a tangent again.....

bogie
07-11-2006, 02:20 PM

Society as a whole isn't challenged enough.... we have all but eliminated survival of the fittest and allowed the opportunity for total idiots to cruise through life without learning or working for what they need to survive..... and they breed with other idiots and create new families full of idiots..... entire families that lack the common sense to provide for themselves and the runts that fall freely from their loins...

Society starts providing for them from the start and they start relying more and more on the system, to the point that the system must constantly support them, because they don't know any better... and this is what we're left with....

:clap:

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-11-2006, 02:51 PM
I think legislature should ban watching porno and masturbating while driving .

keg in kc
07-11-2006, 02:58 PM
I've thought it was a problem for years.

And it's not about protecting people from themselves, it's about protecting me from them. This isn't like a seatbelt or a helmet law; it can't be construed as a victimless problem. Want to kill yourself because you're an idiot on a cellphone? Fine, that's a Darwin Award for you. Congratulations! The problem here is that you can take me out with you, and that's why there needs to be legislation. Just like with drunk driving; the fact is that you're impaired and putting me at risk.

And while we're on that vein, people are just nuts sometimes - I can't count the number of times I've seen Joe Businessman reading a newspaper or something in a portfolio while I'm driving to work on 69 highway. It's frightening to see a guy (or a woman, they do it to) driving 80 miles an hour and only looking at the road every 10 or 15 seconds.

Frazod
07-11-2006, 03:12 PM

Magnificent rant! :wayne:

Bugeater
07-11-2006, 04:07 PM

Disagree. It only takes a second to change your radio station or grab your Pepsi. I'm pretty sure a lot of these idiots are on the phone for their entire drive.

Valiant
07-11-2006, 04:30 PM
Text messaging, you have just taken this discussion to a whole new level.

I have a friend that used to read driving down the road. I'm not talking about the daily paper he used to read paperback novels.

Not going to lie, I have become proficient in memorizing how many times I have to punch the number to get a certain letter while driving and not looking at the phone...

OldTownChief
07-11-2006, 04:54 PM
I think having a law against people that can't drive and use their cell phone is just like creating a law against stupid people having kids, or along the lines of having warnings on hot coffee... there are enough stupid people that we may need a law one day, but it sure does suck for those of us that know what we're doing.

This is the way I see it. I need to use a cell phone on the road every day to be able to do my job efficiently. This is the world we live in now, but I see no reason why 16 to 20 year old jerk offs with little to no driving experience need to have this privilege. Most of the wreaks I see that are caused by cell phones are teen aged girls.

Iowanian
07-11-2006, 06:37 PM
I have no idea why these ****ing idiots can't drive and use a cell phone at the same time but it is quite obviously a very real issue. .

Its probably because they're high....or petting their pit in the passengers seat.

I kid.

There are alot of things people do to put their head in their arses while driving....reading, taking notes, reading maps, putting on makeup, fixing their hair, looking for CDs.....

It comes down to a simple fact. You're responsible to be a safe driver and maintain control of your vehicle. If you're not capable of talking and driving at the same time, don't.