PDA

View Full Version : A question of balance

Rain Man
07-12-2006, 02:15 PM
Assume that you are out hiking in the woods, or for those of you who live in desert climates, the desert. You've got the usual hiking garb, including a small backpack with your Cheetos in it.

You come upon a small stream, and ...

Okay, if you live in a desert climate, assume that you're hiking in the woods anyway, or otherwise the whole stream thing won't work.

Let's try it again.

You come upon a small stream. It's cold enough and deep enough that it will be quite uncomfortable for the remainder of the day if you fall in, though it's not dangerous. It'll also ruin your Cheetos, and you can't throw them to the other side because of an irrational fear of raccoons stealing them.

You would like to cross to the other side, but it's no big deal either way. The hiking is a little better over there, and there may be fewer raccoons.

There is a board that is stretched across the stream. It'll definitely hold your weight, and it's solidly attached to both banks. However, it's only a board, and nothing more.

What is the narrowest board that you will attempt to cross in this situation?

pr_capone
07-12-2006, 02:23 PM
No Gaz???

And the situation really doesnt apply to me. If you were to replace racoons with a badger or something.... I would cross by swimming if need be and the cheetos be damned!

Donger
07-12-2006, 02:25 PM
Are the Cheetos in a bag or are they loose inside the backpack?

epitome1170
07-12-2006, 02:26 PM
Just how wide is this stream and how high off the water is the board? I think the depth of water and height above the water plays into consideration for many

Predarat
07-12-2006, 02:27 PM
I think I could get by with 8.

el borracho
07-12-2006, 03:04 PM
How wide is the stream? Is the board wet or dry?

Dartgod
07-12-2006, 03:08 PM
Yes, how wide is the stream? I'm sorely disappointed in the quality of this latest poll from Rainman. He has clearly lost his poll-making burst.

StcChief
07-12-2006, 03:13 PM
8 inch assuming thick enough for weight

headsnap
07-12-2006, 03:14 PM
what length of board?

Rain Man
07-12-2006, 03:27 PM
Clarifications:

1. Gaz stayed at the car.

2. The Cheetos are in a Cheetos bag, but the bag is open.

3. The stream is 20 feet wide. (I swore that I put this in there, but I must have accidentally erased it.)

4. The board is 1.5 feet above the water level.

5. The board is, for all intents and purposes, dry.

6. The board is slightly longer than the stream, hence the fact that it is securely attached to each bank.

7. The board is thick enough to support your weight with no uncertainty.

8. The time is 1:00 in the afternoon.

9. You have been hiking for 45 minutes.

10. The board appears to be made of old-growth oak.

11. You're wearing a hat, but the hat does not affect your visibility in any way. Also, it's a smallish hat, not like a pope's mitre, so it won't affect your balance.

12. There's a light breeze at your back, but it's not strong enough to affect your balance.

headsnap
07-12-2006, 03:32 PM
Clarifications:

1. Gaz stayed at the car.

2. The Cheetos are in a Cheetos bag, but the bag is open.

3. The stream is 20 feet wide. (I swore that I put this in there, but I must have accidentally erased it.)

4. The board is 1.5 feet above the water level.

5. The board is, for all intents and purposes, dry.

6. The board is slightly longer than the stream, hence the fact that it is securely attached to each bank.

7. The board is thick enough to support your weight with no uncertainty.

8. The time is 1:00 in the afternoon.

9. You have been hiking for 45 minutes.

10. The board appears to be made of old-growth oak.

11. You're wearing a hat, but the hat does not affect your visibility in any way. Also, it's a smallish hat, not like a pope's mitre, so it won't affect your balance.

12. There's a light breeze at your back, but it's not strong enough to affect your balance.

what's the humidity?

Rain Man
07-12-2006, 03:33 PM
what's the humidity?

19%.

The dew point is 47 degrees.

The music playing through your mind is The Theme From Bonanza.

el borracho
07-12-2006, 03:35 PM
How much beer have I had to drink at the point of decision-making?

Donger
07-12-2006, 03:35 PM
Am I wearing underwear?

el borracho
07-12-2006, 03:37 PM
Oh, I'll just give multiple answers:

0-2 beers, I would cross an 8 inch board.

3-7 beers, I would cross a 10 inch board.

8 or more beers, I would (try to) cross a 4 inch board.

Sully
07-12-2006, 03:44 PM
Is this beam easily seen?
Or will it be like the walkway in the last Indiana Jones movie?

el borracho
07-12-2006, 03:47 PM
Am I wearing underwear?
Yes, ladies underwear. Just like always.

Adept Havelock
07-12-2006, 03:49 PM
What type of wood is the board?

Hammock Parties
07-12-2006, 03:53 PM
8 inches. I ain't fraid a'no water.

Hammock Parties

Balsa.

Rain Man
Additional clarifications:

1. You have had no alcoholic beverages or hallucinogenic drugs at this point, because you had to flush all of it down the toilet at a rest stop due to strong enforcement patrols.

2. You are wearing comfortable and relatively clean underwear, but you are not carrying an extra pair.

3. The board is not invisible, though at some angles it looks a little more like composite than wood.

Rain Man
07-12-2006, 03:55 PM

This question has already been addressed in the clarifications. However, if it helps, the surrounding forest is a mix of coniferous Ponderosa Pine and deciduous beech and pin oak.

Bugeater
07-12-2006, 03:58 PM
Could you repeat the question?

bogie
07-12-2006, 04:00 PM
What kind of shoes am I wearing because that would make a big difference.

bogie
07-12-2006, 04:03 PM
I'm going to answer under the assumption that I'm carrying moccasins in my back pack. If I can put on moccasins, I would cross a 1" board. But in hiking boots it would need to be at least 3".

Sully
07-12-2006, 04:09 PM
Am I hiking alone?
Or do I have to worry that once I cross, my clumsy friend or family will have to make it across the same board?

WilliamTheIrish
07-12-2006, 04:12 PM
A question of balance

The Moody Blues?

Rain Man
07-12-2006, 04:14 PM

1. If the question needs repeating, please see the original thread and the previous clarifications.

2. You have only a pair of hiking boots, and no moccasins. You are wearing a sturdy pair of cotton socks inside the hiking boots.

3. You are hiking alone, because, as noted earlier, Gaz stayed in the car.

SPchief
07-12-2006, 04:15 PM
If we get across to the other side, would there be beer waiting for us?

Adept Havelock
07-12-2006, 04:17 PM
What speed is the water in the stream moving at?

bogie
07-12-2006, 04:18 PM

1. If the question needs repeating, please see the original thread and the previous clarifications.

2. You have only a pair of hiking boots, and no moccasins. You are wearing a sturdy pair of cotton socks inside the hiking boots.

Okay then 3" it is. Bummer, I was hoping I could use my tight wire walking skills on this hike. I knew I should of packed my moccasins!

stumppy
07-12-2006, 04:18 PM

What kind of car is it? I might just want to stay in the car with Gaz. Does the car have A/C ? A killer stereo ? DVD player ?

penguinz
07-12-2006, 04:21 PM
What is the surface of the plank like? Is it smooth or would you risk splinters if you crossed barefoot?

bogie
07-12-2006, 04:24 PM

Wait! By "sturdy" do you mean really thick? Because if they're really thick, that would explain why I didn't pack my moccasins. If they're really thick "sturdy" cotton socks, I'm back to a 1" board. That's assuming no splinters.

bogie
07-12-2006, 04:26 PM
What is the surface of the plank like? Is it smooth or would you risk splinters if you crossed barefoot?

Yes, splinters are a problem. I am assuming the board has been there a long time and has been worn smooth by numerous other hikers that no doubt packed moccasins.

penguinz
07-12-2006, 04:29 PM
I just decided I don;t care if there are splinters or not. If John McClane can walk across broken glass barefoot I can walk across a splintery board barefoot!

Rain Man
07-12-2006, 04:37 PM

1. The board appears to be smooth through wind, water, and other hikers, but still maintains a flat upper surface. However, it has enough weathering that there is a considerable risk of splinters (30 percent) if attempting to cross it only in socks.

2. The socks are hiking socks, and could reasonably be assumed to be "wearable" on a smooth outdoor surface. However, see above.

3. The socks are kind of an olive green, with two maroon stripes near the top.

bogie
07-12-2006, 04:43 PM

1. The board appears to be smooth though wind, water, and other hikers, but still maintains a flat upper surface. However, it has enough weathering that there is a considerable risk of splinters (30 percent) if attempting to cross it only in socks.

2. The socks are hiking socks, and could reasonably be assumed to be "wearable" on a smooth outdoor surface. However, see above.

3. The socks are kind of an olive green, with two maroon stripes near the top.

Thanks. 1" it is, although for the life of me I can't remember buying olive green socks with maroon stripes, geesh. BassPro obviously had a sale.

Rain Man
07-12-2006, 04:48 PM
Additional Clarification:

1. The socks were a Christmas gift from your grandmother.

2. The socks were manufactured in China using prison labor, but your grandmother didn't know that when she bought them, and frankly, she doesn't really care since she has a relatively unenlightened view about human rights in the Far East.

bogie
07-12-2006, 05:19 PM
Additional Clarification:

1. The socks were a Christmas gift from your grandmother.

2. The socks were manufactured in China using prison labor, but your grandmother didn't know that when she bought them, and frankly, she doesn't really care since she has a relatively unenlightened view about human rights in the Far East.

1. Based on the color, my Grandmother obviously bought them for my Grandfather but since he died just before Christmas, she wrapped them up and gave them to me.

2. The socks are very well made, I didn't get a single splinter. So I agree with my Grandmother on this.