PDA

View Full Version : The next nation to make a moon landing.

Rain Man
07-12-2006, 06:06 PM
Which nation will it be? Who will put the next man on the moon?

I think this is a repost since I did this poll a few years ago, but I think it's safe to run it again.

Logical
07-12-2006, 06:07 PM
Don't forget the option of

Who Cares?

sedated
07-12-2006, 06:15 PM
uranus?

Eskimo Joe
07-12-2006, 06:16 PM
Has anyone, anywhere shown any interest? I have not read that anyone is even considering it. Not sure why we did it in the first place other than to try to escape our mortal boundaries of the marble.

listopencil
07-12-2006, 06:17 PM
uranus?

BTW, there are rings around uranus. You should get that looked at.

Adept Havelock
07-12-2006, 06:26 PM
The US after a crash program driven by the fact the (Chinese) Commies are about to do it.

Similar to the last time.

Rain Man
07-12-2006, 06:28 PM
Has anyone, anywhere shown any interest? I have not read that anyone is even considering it. Not sure why we did it in the first place other than to try to escape our mortal boundaries of the marble.

I think China has announced that they are planning to do it. I couldn't swear by it, though.

Rain Man
07-12-2006, 06:28 PM
The US after a crash program driven by the fact the (Chinese) Commies are about to do it.

Similar to the last time.

My thinking exactly.

stumppy
07-12-2006, 06:34 PM
I'm betting on the French. Too bad they'll probably plant the white flag first.

milkman
07-12-2006, 06:36 PM
I'm betting on the French. Too bad they'll probably plant the white flag first.

Are you joking?
They'll surrender as soon as the wind blows the wrong way.

4th and Long
07-12-2006, 06:37 PM
Are you joking?
They'll surrender as soon as the wind blows the wrong way.
There's wind on the moon? :spock:

Rain Man
07-12-2006, 06:39 PM

They'll be eating a lot of wine and cheese on the way there.

milkman
07-12-2006, 06:39 PM

I'm talking about weather conditions pre-launch that sometimes delay the lauch.

In other words, they'll never get off the launch pad.

4th and Long
07-12-2006, 06:41 PM
I'm talking about weather conditions pre-launch that sometimes delay the lauch.

In other words, they'll never get off the launch pad.
Oh, ... well that's different. :p

CHENZ A!
07-12-2006, 06:43 PM
Wales. If anyone its the Welsh.

Adept Havelock
07-12-2006, 06:45 PM
I think China has announced that they are planning to do it. I couldn't swear by it, though.

The Chinese have stated they want to land on the moon in 2017. Russia has joined the Chinese in a ten year cooperation agreement. While they are only flying Proton rockets these days (still the best and most reliable booster design in history), it appears the spirit of Sergei Korolev lives on.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20051107-5537.html

As the article states, they are showing some serious interest in the Helium-3 that may be relatively abundent on the moon. This has some interesting implications as it's theoretically one of the best fuels for fusion reactors.

Whoever builds a "port" at the top of the well, wins.

Yes, there is. <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_wind">Solar Wind</a>

4th and Long
07-12-2006, 06:47 PM
Recently, NASA offered a US$100 billion Vision for Space Exploration (VSE) that would return Americans to the moon by 2018. The program would include new spacecraft, launch vehicles, using the ISS as a space way-station, and robotic craft launched as early as 2008 for lunar reconnoitering. In what is seen by some as rising to the challenge of American space hegemony announcements, the Chinese are making some of their own. "China will make a manned moon landing at a proper time, around 2017," so said Ouyang Ziyuan, a leading space exploration scientist.
2017? 2018? :spock:

OldTownChief
07-12-2006, 06:49 PM
It's a moot point Rain Man. I don't know how many times I have to show you this indisputable evidence before you can see the truth.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6yB3fAvCm4

4th and Long
07-12-2006, 06:52 PM
Among the many details being reported are plans to build a space station, an astronomical telescope on the moon, and to survey the lunar soil for helium-3, which could be used in fusion reactors, if they existed. "We will provide the most reliable report on helium-3 to mankind," said Ouyang Ziyuan. Like the US, China is planning on launching a lunar orbiter, the Chang'e-1, by 2007, beating the US prediction for a similar launch by a year. China is also developing a new launch vehicle, one that can carry a payload of 25 tons. Finally, the non-finisher in the last race to the moon, Russia, has entered into a ten-year space cooperation agreement with China, agreeing to "explore the possibility of cooperation in the moon and deep space exploration."

It all sounds great, except much of the reporting going on is probably badly sourced or misinformed.
There were many things wrong with this claim. The article originally appeared not in "state media," but in a Chinese tabloid newspaper known—in China anyway—for its sensationalized reporting. The scientist who was quoted works on the Chinese robotic space program, not the human program, and was most likely misquoted.
ROFL

4th and Long
07-12-2006, 06:58 PM
Yes, there is. <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_wind">Solar Wind</a>
Nice try. The solar wind streams off of the Sun in all directions at speeds of about 400 km/s (about 1 million miles per hour). Were it actually "wind" I was referring to (Moving air, especially a natural and perceptible movement of air parallel to or along the ground.) It would blown the moon, and the earth for that matter, out of their orbits. :p

Eskimo Joe
07-12-2006, 07:27 PM
Nice try. The solar wind streams off of the Sun in all directions at speeds of about 400 km/s (about 1 million miles per hour). Were it actually "wind" I was referring to (Moving air, especially a natural and perceptible movement of air parallel to or along the ground.) It would blown the moon, and the earth for that matter, out of their orbits. :p

Orbit? We firmly believe that the earth is flat. Those vessels that were lost in the bermuda triangle actually fell off the edge. There is further proof, the planes that have never returned ran into the void that exists past the edge.

For future reference, the Sun rotates around the perimiter of the earth, that's why we have light 24/7 on the pancake.

;)

Archie F. Swin
07-12-2006, 07:58 PM
I would say...Arkansas

You know, the home of Wal-Mart