PDA

View Full Version : It's official! No Super Bowl this year according to FoxSports.

Eskimo Joe
07-12-2006, 08:01 PM
Why your team won't win the Super Bowl

Link (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5775802?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=5)

The road to Miami, official resting place for Super Bowl XLI, opens in just eight weeks. We'll find out if that's enough time for the settling of several NFL issues.

For example, at least five quarterbacks are racing the clock to return from serious injury. And in two months, the Carolina Panthers must finish using considerable salary-cap room to overhaul their cheerleading roster. In eight weeks, frequent visitors to NFL end zones must finalize celebration routines that require zero assistance from props.

We also are waiting for the appointment of a new commissioner capable of luring professional football back to Los Angeles and the Bay Area.

But lead consideration for any NFL season can be whittled down to the question of which team smells like the next Super Bowl champion.

So, with training camp just around the bend, I'm here to provide at least one decent reason why your team won't be standing when the smoke clears in Miami.

The obvious target for Super Bowl surrender is Mike Holmgren, who coaches the defending NFC champion Seattle Seahawks. On paper — which has myriad disposal applications we won't get into here — the Seahawks certainly seem capable of mowing down their conference buddies.

They did lose premier guard Steve Hutchinson, but this year's schedule includes four dates with teams from the mighty NFC North.
Unfortunately, the Seahawks' talent and schedule may be no match for karma.

In case you hadn't noticed, the Seahawks lost Super Bowl XL to the Pittsburgh Steelers. If the NFL qualified as a normal enterprise, this would suggest that Seattle's team is knocking on the door leading to immortality.

But normal professional sports enterprises usually don't feature subsequent doom for teams that finish second. Please note that the NFL offers a streak of five consecutive campaigns marked by the Super Bowl runner-up finishing out of the playoff picture.

Here's the roll call:
• The New York Giants, losers of Super Bowl XXXV, finished 7-9 in 2001.
• The St. Louis Rams, losers of Super Bowl XXXVI, finished 7-9 in 2002.
• The Oakland Raiders, decisive losers of Super Bowl XXXVII, finished 6-10 in 2003.
• The Carolina Panthers, losers of Super Bowl XXXVIII, finished 7-9 in 2004.
• The Philadelphia Eagles, losers of Super Bowl XXXIX, finished 6-10 in 2005.
Will the Seahawks, whose NFC West playmates include the Arizona Cardinals and San Francisco 49ers, be next?

It seems reasonable to expect Seattle to overcome one disturbing trend. But a second paranormal concern may cause the Seahawks' undoing. I'm referring, of course, to the Madden Curse, an unwitting brand of consumer voodoo that has provoked bad things for video-game coverboys Michael Vick, Marshall Faulk and Donovan McNabb.

This year's Madden '07 box cover features defending league Most Valuable Player Shaun Alexander ... who still works for the Seahawks.

With the Seahawks officially extinct from the playoff landscape, let's take a look at why your favorite won't win the Super Bowl, either.

NFC West

Arizona Cardinals

With a new stadium on the way, the Cardinals accelerated their Phoenix-area buzz by signing superstar running back Edgerrin James. The importance of this free-agent score has been marginalized by the realization that Edgerrin was hired for his pass-blocking skills.

Simply put, you may not be able to come across a worse line in a singles' bar full of sportswriters.

St. Louis Rams

The defense has been upgraded, but the offense finally seems capable of making Mike Martz look like a genius. Martz, by the way, now works in Detroit.

San Francisco 49ers

There will be no postseason fun for a team that's invented the West Coast Lack of offense.

NFC North

Chicago Bears
Here's damning evidence: New backup quarterback Brian Griese may be an upgrade.

The Bears seem good enough to win this division; if you only seem good enough for the NFC North, you probably won't be good for more than one playoff round.

Minnesota Vikings

With a new coach on hand, the Vikes may challenge if they can avoid putting another season on cruise control. Challenging the Bears is not good enough to reach Miami.

Detroit Lions

Their improvement will fizzle when new coach Rod Marinelli forgets to inform Martz that Martz is not allowed to call timeouts.

Green Bay Packers

Behind another weak offensive line, Brett Favre may literally die a Packer.

NFC South
Carolina Panthers

Chemistry issues arise when Keyshawn Johnson declares that someday Steve Smith will be as good as he is.

Atlanta Falcons

How much confidence can be generated by quarterback Ron Mexico when backup Matt Schaub was considered an untouchable in trade talks?

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Chris Simms keeps improving at QB, but Baylor and Texas A&M have not been added to the NFC South.

New Orleans Saints

Drew Brees may be a sweet acquisition, but his repaired shoulder probably could use a couple of rehab starts at Triple-A.

NFC East
Dallas Cowboys

Terrell Owens seems like the X-factor, but could wind up becoming the first decoy that actually quacks.

New York Giants

Despite several free-agent maneuvers, the Giants' defense is worse in coverage than Paris Hilton's fashion consultant.

Washington Redskins

Putting offensive coordinator Al Saunders together with Joe Gibbs could be as incongruous as hiring Baryshnikov to choreograph a square dance.

Philadelphia Eagles

Their best receiver is a running back. Their quarterback still may be their best runner. At least Freddie Mitchell could talk a good game.

AFC West
Denver Broncos
With John Elway under center, the Broncos and their fans were treated to events such as The Drive. With Jake Plummer at the controls, Denver seems committed to The Hitchhike.

Kansas City Chiefs

Unless Herm Edwards can still cover receivers, he'll have a hard time improving on what Dick Vermeil accomplished.

San Diego Chargers

The good news: Philip Rivers has only one L in his first name. The bad news: the Chargers' new starting quarterback may need directions to find the starting center.

Oakland Raiders

During his first tour as head coach, Art Shell often reminded reporters that "Football players make football plays."

If the Raiders eventually hire a few football players, we'll see if he's correct.

AFC North

Pittsburgh Steelers

Losing a Bus and gaining a bike probably won't matter as much as losing Antwaan Randle El. Replacement rookie Santonio Holmes may provide more dropped passes than dropped charges.

Cincinnati Bengals

Their criminal-element roll call makes that fictional team from ESPN's Playmakers seem like candidates for a rerun tour on Nickelodeon. The Bengals also may suffer on kickoff return coverage if Chad Johnson fails to find loopholes in the TD celebration rule.

Cleveland Browns

They have a good, young quarterback. Too bad he's not Steve Young.

Baltimore Ravens

When Ray Lewis asks his defensive teammates for the time, they should tell him it's 11:59 p.m. Steve McNair may be an improvement at quarterback, but the AFC North looks like the Group of Death.

AFC South
Indianapolis Colts

Until the league offers a bye from the regular season to the Super Bowl, most of us will remain suspicious of Peyton Manning in January.

Jacksonville Jaguars

They open the season with Dallas, Pittsburgh, Indy and Washington.

Tennessee Titans

Vince Young is a terrific prospect, but this year's read-option is limited to the Titans' playbook.

Houston Texans

If defensive end Mario Williams (the first overall pick in the draft) is incapable of reaching QB David Carr in practice, the Texans are in trouble. In games, the Houston offensive line allows Carr to spend more time on his back than Snoopy.

AFC East
New England Patriots
Replacing kicker Adam Vinatieri with Martin Gramatica may be the strategic equivalent of subbing Guillermo Mota for Jonathan Papelbon.

Miami Dolphins

Nick Saban may be a godsend, but we're still not sure if the Dolphins are better at passing the football or a drug test.

New York Jets

The defense isn't bad, but the Jets would have trouble scoring in a women's prison.

Buffalo Bills

Nobody scares you on offense, unless you're a Bills fan.

4th and Long
07-12-2006, 08:17 PM
I, for one, am tired of your negative bullshit posting habits.

http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/1831/negrepbomber2tm.jpg

Saulbadguy
07-12-2006, 08:18 PM
Don't feed the Tom $$$!!!

Mr. Flopnuts
07-12-2006, 08:22 PM
This is a repost anyway.

4th and Long
07-12-2006, 08:32 PM
This is a repost anyway.
Really? Then you need one of these!

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/6040/repost9ux.jpg

HemiEd
07-12-2006, 08:35 PM
A whole lot of thought went in to that comment about the Chiefs. WE are doomed!

4th and Long
07-12-2006, 08:45 PM
A whole lot of thought went in to that comment about the Chiefs. WE are doomed!
I put more thought into farting. :D

ROYC75
07-12-2006, 08:48 PM
They make it sound as thou no one will go to the SB.

HemiEd
07-12-2006, 08:52 PM
I put more thought into farting. :D

Really? That comes so natural for me that no thought is needed!

Oh wait, less thought went into that article, you are right! :p

Chiefs Minor Satellite
07-12-2006, 08:55 PM

Negative? I just posted a story from Fox.

My opinion might be different from those posted on Fox, ya never know!:harumph:

milkman
07-12-2006, 08:56 PM

http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/1831/negrepbomber2tm.jpg

I see you're an Eskimo BlowJoe fan also.

Chiefs Minor Satellite
07-12-2006, 08:56 PM
This is a repost anyway.

How about a link saggingsack?

HemiEd
07-12-2006, 08:58 PM

What the ****? I thought Eskimo Joe posted this. WTF is going on here? :eek: :bong:

4th and Long
07-12-2006, 09:20 PM
I see you're an Eskimo BlowJoe fan also.
Yep :D and you know I only make new graphics for those "special occasions." :)

4th and Long
07-12-2006, 09:21 PM
What the ****? I thought Eskimo Joe posted this. WTF is going on here? :eek: :bong:
Perhaps someone just gave away their secret identity. :hmmm:

HemiEd
07-12-2006, 09:23 PM
Perhaps someone just gave away their secret identity. :hmmm:

It would apear so, but, they are both still "super secret" to me. I do not get it.

4th and Long
07-12-2006, 09:26 PM
It would apear so, but, they are both still "super secret" to me. I do not get it.
If Chiefs Minor Satellite is confessing to making the original post (and that's what it looks like) then I would say Eskimo Joe made the original post, logged out, then lgged back in as Chiefs Minor Satellite and forgot about that when defending the post.

HemiEd
07-12-2006, 09:27 PM
If Chiefs Minor Satellite is confessing to making the original post (and that's what it looks like) then I would say Eskimo Joe made the original post, logged out, then lgged back in as Chiefs Minor Satellite and forgot about that when defending the post.

Oh I got that part and it was my reason for post 13, but why?

4th and Long
07-12-2006, 09:29 PM
Oh I got that part, but why?
I'm going to assume that's a rhetorical question. :D

I DON'T KNOW WHY! ASK ESKIMO JOE/CHIEFS MINOR SATELLITE!

:p

milkman
07-12-2006, 09:29 PM
Oh I got that part, but why?

Does an idiot need a reason aside from their normal idiocy?

HemiEd
07-12-2006, 09:33 PM
I'm going to assume that's a rhetorical question. :D

I DON'T KNOW WHY! ASK ESKIMO JOE/CHIEFS MINOR SATELLITE!

:p

Does an idiot need a reason aside from their normal idiocy?

I would defer to both of your Superior BB experience on this issue. Why would a n00b become a double n00b? Funny shit I tell ya'!

idiocy2 (squared)?

milkman
07-12-2006, 09:35 PM
I would defer to both of your Superior BB experience on this issue. Why would a n00b become a double n00b? Funny shit I tell ya'!

Cause it makes him think he's a double-naught spy, like his idol and intellectual superior, Jethro Bodine.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-12-2006, 09:37 PM
I don't know why, but every year, I get even more excited about the Chiefs. I get a little down at the end of the year, because our season is over, but it goes right back up this time of year.

HemiEd
07-12-2006, 09:37 PM
Cause it makes him think he's a double-naught spy, like his idol and intellectual superior, Jethro Bodine.

ROFL ROFL

4th and Long
07-12-2006, 09:38 PM
Weeeeeeeeeeellllllllllllllll Dawgies!!!
http://tvphotogalleries.com/data/570/1BevHillbillies12.jpg
That boy's about as smart as a bucket of opossum lard.

HemiEd
07-12-2006, 09:39 PM
I don't know why, but every year, I get even more excited about the Chiefs. I get a little down at the end of the year, because our season is over, but it goes right back up this time of year.

36 of those and counting. :banghead:

HemiEd
07-12-2006, 09:41 PM
Now if we could only get Skiptowne and Big Dick Jones on here we might make this a 100 poster.

4th and Long
07-12-2006, 09:44 PM
Now if we could only get Skiptowne and Big Dick Jones on here we might make this a 100 poster.
I don't believe this thread has what it takes to make 100 posts. I shall, therefore, refrain from posting on it any further.

milkman
07-12-2006, 09:44 PM

So you think this place needs two Big Dicks?

Don't need 'em if Double n00b spy ever shows back up in his thread.

He could provide us with hours of sheer dumbassery.

HemiEd
07-12-2006, 09:47 PM
So you think this place needs two Big Dicks?

Don't need 'em if Double n00b spy ever shows back up in his thread.

He could provide us with hours of sheer dumbassery.

I spit some beer on my monitor. ROFL ROFL ROFL

TinyEvel
07-12-2006, 11:41 PM
That guy wrote an article in the college newspaper several years back:
"Why none of us will get laid"

It went something like this:

MY BRO STEVE: Works too many hours at Blockbuster. But mainly...HE WORKS AT BLOCKBUSTER.

BIG JOE: At 6'7" he's too tall.

LI'L JOE: At 5"6" he's too short. and his nose is a friggin' HONKER. Beaker from the muppets has nothing on Li'l Joe.

BRETT: His ears can pick up most AM radio stations (and a few FM ones) if you wrap them in tin foil. Dumbo no get laido.

KEVIN: Nice Camaro. But your refusal to let go of 80's tunes puts you completely out of the realm of getting laid. No chick wants to get banged to the souds of the Thompson Twins (even though "Enter The Gap" has a great ring to it)

MARC: Cheap motherfu**er. No chick wants to begin her date by hearing you say "one salad, two plates"

ERIC: Your gut is big enough to qualify for a barrier to keep the Mexicans out of the U.S. you have a better chance at working for the border patrol (as a fence) than scoring a Betty in bed.

DOUG: Two words: Engineering Major

KYLE: There are several advances in plastic surgery. If they can make Axyl Rose look like a friggin' marionette, they can surely remove that Ireland-shaped blotch on your eyelid.

MIKE: Try to find another pickup line, other than "Hello, c*ck receptacles!" hint:chicks don't dig the blatant approach.

CARL: Lose the "Members Only" jacket. That's a club nobody wants to be a member of any more.

Nobody is getting laid. Maybe when I get older I'll write a whack-jackasstastical article titled "Why your team isn't going to win the SuperBowl"... Until then, I'll see you guys in the Student Union video arcade.

listopencil
07-12-2006, 11:59 PM

How many user names do you have, nutjob?

Rausch
07-13-2006, 12:02 AM
...Maybe when I get older I'll write a whack-jackasstastical article...

ROFL