PDA

View Full Version : Boulevard Beer Billboard. Racist or not?

Dartgod
07-13-2006, 06:35 AM
I'm curious what the general consensus of the BB is on this. Boulevard Brewing Co came under fire in the Kansas City Star yesterday for a potentially racially offensive billboard at Westport Road and Southwest Trafficway. It displays four pints of various Boulevard Beer styles and has the words "Eenie. Meenie. Minie. Moe." over the glasses.

Lewis Diuguid, opinion columnist at The Kansas City Star wrote a column yesterday blasting Boulevard for the ads and apparently Boulevard will be taking down the bill board.

I know when I was a kid we used the rhyme, with the phrase "catch a tiger", but I had heard it with n***** also. At the same time though, I hardly doubt that was Boulevard's intent when placing the ad.

How do you feel about this?

Here's a link to the column from yesterday's Star.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/news/columnists/lewis_w_diuguid/15016407.htm

Saulbadguy
07-13-2006, 06:38 AM
I'd say it is not. I've always heard the song "catch a tiger by its toe".

Being a 25 year old, I bet i'm smack dab in the middle of the target demographic.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-13-2006, 06:39 AM
I'm so sick of the race card bullshit that people use. GET OVER IT YOU WHINY BITCHES. You were not a slave, your parents were not slaves, nobody you know have been slaves. The same people who complain about racism turn around and make fun of gays, fat people, and mexicans.

ImAWalkingCorpse
07-13-2006, 06:40 AM
I would say it isn't as well, just some ahole hack journalist trying to make a name for himself.

Dartgod
07-13-2006, 06:41 AM
I'd say it is not. I've always heard the song "catch a tiger by its toe".

Being a 25 year old, I bet i'm smack dab in the middle of the target demographic.
I'd heard it both ways. I guess that's why I'm confused as to my position on this. I can understand a black person being offended. At the same time, the majority of people probably have never heard this and would not be offended until this columnist calls it to their attention.

chagrin
07-13-2006, 06:42 AM
So wtf is it now, I can't use the rhyme eenie meenie, etc anymore? Also I cannot use the word spider, tiger, etc?

Please, just everyone get off the crack pipe for a second and think about how ridiculous this kind of shit really is. By the time it's all said and done we will only be able to communicate by using smoke signals and using out tongue to create some sort of popping noise so as not to offend anyone, is that the where we're going?

:hmmm:

DaKCMan AP
I would say that's not. Yes, the rhyme has racist origins, but it is now commony used without any racist undertones.

This complaint is unfounded, IMO.

King_Chief_Fan
:shake:

Saulbadguy
So wtf is it now, I can't use the rhyme eenie meenie, etc anymore? Also I cannot use the word spider, tiger, etc?

Please, just everyone get off the crack pipe for a second and thuink about how ridiculous this kind of shit really is. By the time it's all said and doen we will only be able to communicate by using smoke signals and using out tongue to create some sort of popping noise so as not to offend anyone, is that the where we're going?

Yeah..that is exactly where we are going. You stupid ****ing click click knock knock gurgle.

DaKCMan AP
07-13-2006, 06:44 AM
I'm so sick of the race card bullshit that people use. GET OVER IT YOU WHINY BITCHES. You were not a slave, your parents were not slaves, nobody you know have been slaves. The same people who complain about racism turn around and make fun of gays, fat people, and mexicans.

Racism didn't cease with the end of slavery.

chagrin
07-13-2006, 06:45 AM
Yeah..that is exactly where we are going. You stupid ****ing click click knock knock gurgle.

ROFL

4th and Long
07-13-2006, 06:46 AM
That's crap. Shall we outlaw Halloween too because it has spooks? Things like this have passed their time. People need to let them die. Idiots like this columnist are just looking for a fight and this one seems to have no problem with the race card. After all, he's the one playing it. What a dick.
It displays four pints of various Boulevard Beer styles and has the words "Eenie. Meenie. Minie. Moe." over the glasses.
Reminds me of Lethal Weapon 2

http://www.moviesection.de/v3/img/datenbank/1067956138lw2_3.jpg

Eenie, Meenie, Minie, ... HEY MOE! *BLAM*

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
07-13-2006, 06:47 AM
I don't see the racism in the Southwest Airlines story.

Mr. Kotter
07-13-2006, 06:47 AM

It didnt'. But using it as an excuse for all that ails them is no longer useful or acceptable.

Blatant racism should not be tolerated. But this hardly qualifys. :rolleyes:

Mr. Flopnuts
07-13-2006, 06:51 AM

Nor would I try and imply it has. What I do think however, is that we've reached a point where now people don't think about racism as something that is hurtful to them. They think about it as a means of getting something for nothing like it's owed to them. JMHO and probably not a popular one.

DaKCMan AP
07-13-2006, 06:52 AM
It didnt'. But using it as an excuse for all that ails them is no longer useful or acceptable.

Blatant racism should not be tolerated. But this hardly qualifys. :rolleyes:

Agreed. :toast:

Chiefs_Mike_Topeka
07-13-2006, 06:55 AM
I figure that if it is acceptable for most black people to call each other N****R in popular culture it must be a term of endearment. Confuses me as to why when another race says it, suddenly it is racist and offensive.

DaKCMan AP
07-13-2006, 06:55 AM
Nor would I try and imply it has. What I do think however, is that we've reached a point where now people don't think about racism as something that is hurtful to them. They think about it as a means of getting something for nothing like it's owed to them. JMHO and probably not a popular one.

While I dislike the race card as many others, racism does still exist. Yes, there are those that try to profit off of something that maybe wasn't that hurtful to them. That's not always the case, though and, IMO, it's somewhat dangerous to assume so.

Saulbadguy
07-13-2006, 06:57 AM
I figure that if it is acceptable for most black people to call each other N****R in popular culture it must be a term of endearment. Confuses me as to why when another race says it, suddenly it is racist and offensive.
Probably for the same reason that when you call a friend a mother****er, it's all in fun, but when you call a complete stranger that..well..yeah.

DaKCMan AP
07-13-2006, 06:58 AM

I dislike the word and would rather it never be used. I don't believe that most black people use the word and even so, it's the context that matters most.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-13-2006, 07:00 AM
While I dislike the race card as many others, racism does still exist. Yes, there are those that try to profit off of something that maybe wasn't that hurtful to them. That's not always the case, though and, IMO, it's somewhat dangerous to assume so.

I can't argue with your logic or statement. I'm just not sensitive to this issue anymore. It has been worn out. I lived my entire life in a part of the country that was a melting pot of culture. So I'm probably more ignorant than your average bear on the subject. I now live in Charlotte NC and posted a thread a while back about how shocked I was to see so many people here with confederate flags on their cars. I know it exists, I just don't think it has enough steam left to do any real damage. Life isn't fair for a lot of people regardless of their race. I know it's a passive attitude, but I have heard so many people complain about things just like this ad in question here, that I no longer empathize with it. If that makes me a bad person, then so be it. No offense to you or anyone else who feels differently, it's just my honest opinion on the matter.

ck_IN
07-13-2006, 07:00 AM
I had always heard it with catch a tiger. I'd never associated it with the N word until the nonsense involving Southwest a few years back.

Black people drink beer too. Why would this company willingly alienate potential customers? They need to get over it.

Bwana
07-13-2006, 07:01 AM
Mmmmmmmmm Boulevard! We don't have that up here, but they do In Rapid City. I was in Rapid earlier this week....tasty.

As far as the billboard, in today’s PC, do gooder world, it is no surprise it ticked someone off and Lewis Diuguid sounds like just the man for the job, waiting in the wings with a catchers mitt on.

I can't figure out if they ad agency has rocks for brains, of if they are a group of advertising guru's. One thing is for sure, now that Diuguid wrote his piece, Boulevard got a ton of free advertising out of the story. The company got far more exposure than what the billboard alone would have brought by itself.

Is it right or wrong, it depends on which side of the PC fence you are standing on, but one thing is for sure, Boulevard got one hell of a bang for their buck out of a billboard.

:BLVD:

Mr. Flopnuts
07-13-2006, 07:01 AM
I dislike the word and would rather it never be used. I don't believe that most black people use the word and even so, it's the context that matters most.

I agree with this statement. By no means do I think MOST black people use this word. Some do, the rappers, the kids, the ones that generally have NO CLUE what it's really about. For the most part though, I think most black, white, and every other colored people recognize that word for the ugliness it is.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-13-2006, 07:02 AM
Mmmmmmmmm Boulevard! We don't have that up here, but they do In Rapid City. I was in Rapid earlier this week....tasty.

As far as the billboard, in today’s PC, do gooder world, it is no surprise it ticked someone off and Lewis Diuguid sounds like just the man for the job, waiting in the wings with a catchers mitt on.

I can't figure out if they ad agency has rocks for brains, of if they are a group of advertising guru's. One thing is for sure, now that Diuguid wrote his piece, Boulevard got a ton of free advertising out of the story. The company got far more exposure than what the billboard alone would have brought by itself.

Is it right or wrong, it depends on which side of the PC fence you are standing on, but one thing is for sure, Boulevard got one hell of a bang for their buck out of a billboard.

I'd send you a 12 pack of boulevard for a 12 pack of Alaskan Amber in a heartbeat Uncle Bwana. :)

dave0320
07-13-2006, 07:02 AM
Let's just deal with the ad and drink the beer!

MOhillbilly
07-13-2006, 07:05 AM
boulevard isnt anything special.

Dartgod
07-13-2006, 07:06 AM

I forgot to tell you that my mom and dad are going to be up in your neck of the woods soon. They're taking a three week RV trip through Colorado, Wyoming and Montana. They're in Estes Park right now and their final destination is Glacier National Park.

Bwana
07-13-2006, 07:08 AM
I'd send you a 12 pack of boulevard for a 12 pack of Alaskan Amber in a heartbeat Uncle Bwana. :)

We may have to work something out Mr. Flopnuts. :) I have some Alaskan Amber in the shop fridge chilled at 33.5 right now. Just waiting for the weekend to put a dent in it.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-13-2006, 07:09 AM
We may have to work something out Mr. Flopnuts. :) I have some Alaskan Amber in the shop fridge chilled at 33.5 right now. Just waiting for the weekend to put a dent in it.

Budweiser may be the king of beers, but Alaskan Amber is the beer of kings my friend.

ck_IN
07-13-2006, 07:09 AM
<i>I dislike the word and would rather it never be used. I don't believe that most black people use the word and even so, it's the context that matters most.</i>

While most black people may not use it the ones that do make up for it. Chappelle drops it like most people use vowels. Kanye West who is supposedly a responsible rapper did a song featuring it in the refrain. The young black kids hear this and assume it's perfectly fine to use it.

For as much flack as Cosby catches when he castigates popular black culture I fail to see where he's wrong.

ChiefsFanatic
07-13-2006, 07:10 AM

I must not know that many black people, but the people I know who happen to be black all use that word.

Bwana
07-13-2006, 07:10 AM
I forgot to tell you that my mom and dad are going to be up in your neck of the woods soon. They're taking a three week RV trip through Colorado, Wyoming and Montana. They're in Estes Park right now and their final destination is Glacier National Park.

Nice, they are going to love the Flathead Lake area and Glacier. Still waiting for you and Mrs Dartgod to make it up here so we can take you out ATVing, fishing and beer drinking. ;)

ChiefsFanatic
07-13-2006, 07:11 AM
I can't argue with your logic or statement. I'm just not sensitive to this issue anymore. It has been worn out. I lived my entire life in a part of the country that was a melting pot of culture. So I'm probably more ignorant than your average bear on the subject. I now live in Charlotte NC and posted a thread a while back about how shocked I was to see so many people here with confederate flags on their cars. I know it exists, I just don't think it has enough steam left to do any real damage. Life isn't fair for a lot of people regardless of their race. I know it's a passive attitude, but I have heard so many people complain about things just like this ad in question here, that I no longer empathize with it. If that makes me a bad person, then so be it. No offense to you or anyone else who feels differently, it's just my honest opinion on the matter.

The Confederate Flag is not always a symbol of racism. It is also a symbol of southern heritage and pride.

HemiEd
07-13-2006, 07:14 AM
I had always heard it with catch a tiger. I'd never associated it with the N word until the nonsense involving Southwest a few years back.

Black people drink beer too. Why would this company willingly alienate potential customers? They need to get over it.

My Grandmother did not use the word Tiger and she did not call Brazil nuts, Brazil Nuts.

Archie F. Swin
07-13-2006, 07:17 AM
this asshat just got a nasty email from me

Mr. Flopnuts
07-13-2006, 07:17 AM
The Confederate Flag is not always a symbol of racism. It is also a symbol of southern heritage and pride.

I heard this response when I made the original thread. My response now is the same as it was then. I understand the civil war was a lot more complex than slavery alone. However no one can argue that is what people take from it today. It's what is focused on in classrooms, and it is what is focused on in regards to that flag. It may not be right, but it is commonplace. So if southern heritage and pride is based off of a symbol of racism so be it. I really don't care, it doesn't affect me. However, it would be naive for anyone to really think it was something different. JMHO

Mr. Flopnuts
07-13-2006, 07:18 AM
My Grandmother did not use the word Tiger and she did not call Brazil nuts, Brazil Nuts.

ROFL She eats umm, let's see. Toes? Something toes?

DaKCMan AP
07-13-2006, 07:20 AM
I must not know that many black people, but the people I know who happen to be black all use that word.

You must not then..

StcChief
07-13-2006, 07:22 AM

:BLVD: That was my thought as well.....

Their advertising agency may have saw the double edge sword too.
Looks like it worked. History repeats again.

Reporter Lewis Diuguid get over your black self, dude.

Your not the target market here for the beer. :BLVD:

Saulbadguy
07-13-2006, 07:22 AM
:rolleyes:

jidar
07-13-2006, 07:24 AM
It's not racist.

The reason is that there is noway that Boulevard put that up with racial intentions, that would be PR suicide.

Hear what they mean people, not what they say. That's the point of communication isn't it?

It's also easy to understand why they would put that there since nearly everyone under 30 has heard that rhyme different ways. In fact the only time I ever heard the racist version was when my grandmother repeated it once, and it startled me at the time.

Duck Dog
07-13-2006, 07:26 AM
Someone should tell these over sensitive troublemakers the story of the boy who cried wolf.

If you scream racism enough, pretty soon no one will listen.

ct
07-13-2006, 07:27 AM
I've never heard the rhyme as they are concerned with, always been "tiger" when I grew up. It's too bad, but it's a valid point. So while I do not find it offensive, it should come down. Too bad though, it was a clever campaign, hope they can come up with something else.

EDIT: I posted comment before reading the ENTIRE article. I change my stance. Didn't realize at the time I responded this was 1 freaking guy complaining. FU dipshit!! Billboard stays!

Mr. Flopnuts
07-13-2006, 07:28 AM
Someone should tell these over sensitive troublemakers the story of the boy who cried wolf.

If you scream racism enough, pretty soon no one will listen.

See posts 3, 15, and 21. It's already started. :)

mikey23545
07-13-2006, 07:29 AM

Neither did stupidity.

Anyone who takes the time to be offended by something this innocuous has serious mental health issues. Get the **** over it, and get the help you so obviously need.

ct
07-13-2006, 07:30 AM

Please, just everyone get off the crack pipe for a second and think about how ridiculous this kind of shit really is. By the time it's all said and done we will only be able to communicate by using smoke signals and using out tongue to create some sort of popping noise so as not to offend anyone, is that the where we're going?

Sorry, you can't use smoke signals or bushman popping tongue either, the Native American/African tribesman crazies will be all over that.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-13-2006, 07:31 AM
Sorry, you can't use smoke signals or bushman popping tongue either, the Native American/African tribesman crazies will be all over that.

"You should've thought about that beforehand."

"I'll take the roasted duck with the mango salsa."

"I don't have much of an appetite."

ROFL

chagrin
07-13-2006, 07:32 AM

Thank you

chagrin
"You should've thought about that beforehand."

"I'll take the roasted duck with the mango salsa."

"I don't have much of an appetite."

ROFL

no shit, lmao!!

Dartgod
Nice, they are going to love the Flathead Lake area and Glacier. Still waiting for you and Mrs Dartgod to make it up here so we can take you out ATVing, fishing and beer drinking. ;)
Yeah, I know. Someday we will....really, we will.

ChiefsFanatic
07-13-2006, 07:42 AM
I heard this response when I made the original thread. My response now is the same as it was then. I understand the civil war was a lot more complex than slavery alone. However no one can argue that is what people take from it today. It's what is focused on in classrooms, and it is what is focused on in regards to that flag. It may not be right, but it is commonplace. So if southern heritage and pride is based off of a symbol of racism so be it. I really don't care, it doesn't affect me. However, it would be naive for anyone to really think it was something different. JMHO

It is unfortunate that people only associate the confederate flag with slavery. For me, it reminds me of a time when people were as quick to stand up and fight for their state, just as quickly as country. It really meant something to be a Virginian, etc. Mass transit, the railroad, probably started to erode the pride you felt for your state because it made it so easy for people to move. After a while, many populations consisted of transplants from other states. Blah, blah. blah.

Chiefnj
07-13-2006, 07:47 AM
I've been fighting the Keebler Elves for years. Them and their "crackers". Making money selling baked goods using a derogatory term for my proud Georgian heritage. The little bastards :cuss:

Lzen
07-13-2006, 07:47 AM

You don't have any black friends, do you?
ROFL

Mr. Flopnuts
07-13-2006, 07:49 AM
It is unfortunate that people only associate the confederate flag with slavery. For me, it reminds me of a time when people were as quick to stand up and fight for their state, just as quickly as country. It really meant something to be a Virginian, etc. Mass transit, the railroad, probably started to erode the pride you felt for your state because it made it so easy for people to move. After a while, many populations consisted of transplants from other states. Blah, blah. blah.

I'm not arguing with your logic or downplaying your comments. I'm not saying that it isn't real. As far as my state goes. I was born in MO and raised in WA so southern pride doesn't apply to me personally. I understand the concept of people using that flag as a means to display southern pride. What I don't understand is why they don't just use whatever state flag they're from. Those aren't tied into slavery and racism. The confederate flag is.

HemiEd
07-13-2006, 07:53 AM
ROFL She eats umm, let's see. Toes? Something toes?

You guessed it.

ChiefsFanatic
07-13-2006, 07:56 AM
I'm not arguing with your logic or downplaying your comments. I'm not saying that it isn't real. As far as my state goes. I was born in MO and raised in WA so southern pride doesn't apply to me personally. I understand the concept of people using that flag as a means to display southern pride. What I don't understand is why they don't just use whatever state flag they're from. Those aren't tied into slavery and racism. The confederate flag is.

I was agreeing with you.

DaKCMan AP
07-13-2006, 08:03 AM
You don't have any black friends, do you?
ROFL

I have MANY. My best friend since high school is black. I've had 3 black roommates over the last 3 years. Many many many. The majority of them do not use that word.

Of course, my friends don't include any comedians, rappers or thugs.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-13-2006, 08:03 AM
I was agreeing with you.

I wasn't trying to be argumentative. If it came across that way, sorry about that.

Nzoner
07-13-2006, 08:08 AM

Personally,I think this is ridiculous,it's a wonder Diuguid didn't also find it offensive that the "darkest" of the beers were the last in line.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=59529&stc=1

ChiefsFanatic
07-13-2006, 08:08 AM
I wasn't trying to be argumentative. If it came across that way, sorry about that.

Don't be sorry. Sometimes the level of sarcasm on this board can be hard to overcome.
:)

Mr. Flopnuts
07-13-2006, 08:15 AM
Don't be sorry. Sometimes the level of sarcasm on this board can be hard to overcome.
:)

I am definately one of the sarcastic posters. It can be difficult to detect sarcasm in text form as well. I get involved in these types of conversations though, and I like hearing others take on the subject.

Iowanian
07-13-2006, 08:50 AM
Someone is trying pretty hard to be offended and outraged.

Ridiculous.

StcChief
07-13-2006, 09:00 AM
Someone is trying pretty hard to be offended and outraged.

Ridiculous.
It's a slow Media day in K.C. what can we do to create a story....
Media 101.

Nzoner
07-13-2006, 09:50 PM
I posted a link to this story on another site I visit and it caused quite a discussion as well.In fact a few of the guys e-mailed the reporter and the KC Star,sounds like one of them may have his own letter published in the Star tomorrow.

FF Today thread (http://www.fftodayforums.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=215712&st=0)

Letter to Star

I am writing today in response to your asinine story about the "Eenie, Meenie, Minie, Moe" beer ad.

If a saying has racist origins (and I'm sure there are many that do), but nobody except for a historian or a linguist (or a race-baiting reporter) knows about it, is it still racist?

I am reminded of an episode of South Park where Chef is mad about the town flag, which depicts white stick figures hanging a black stick figure. At first, Chef was mad at some of the kids for arguing in favor of the flag. Then Chef realized that the reason that the kids weren't equally offended at the image wasn't because they were white racists, but because there were so NOT racist that they didn't even see white men hanging a black man...they just saw men hanging another man.

How sad that a cartoon "gets it" more than someone as "intelligent" as you.

You, sir, are the racist. I'm surprised that you also didn't call the ad racist because the "dark" beer was last in line.

He merely thanked me for the feedback. My guess is he's getting a little tired of all of the emails and doesn't have time to respond w/any more than that.

Of course, I also sent it to letters@kcstar.com and hopefully me calling him a racist will be published in the op-ed section of his own paper tomorrow.

I also sent the whole thing to letters@nypost.com...so maybe they'll pick up on it too.

milkman
07-13-2006, 10:26 PM
I posted a link to this story on another site I visit and it caused quite a discussion as well.In fact a few of the guys e-mailed the reporter and the KC Star,sounds like one of them may have his own letter published in the Star tomorrow.

FF Today thread (http://www.fftodayforums.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=215712&st=0)

Letter to Star

My letter:

I am writing today in response to your asinine story about the "Eenie, Meenie, Minie, Moe" beer ad.

If a saying has racist origins (and I'm sure there are many that do), but nobody except for a historian or a linguist (or a race-baiting reporter) knows about it, is it still racist?

I am reminded of an episode of South Park where Chef is mad about the town flag, which depicts white stick figures hanging a black stick figure. At first, Chef was mad at some of the kids for arguing in favor of the flag. Then Chef realized that the reason that the kids weren't equally offended at the image wasn't because they were white racists, but because there were so NOT racist that they didn't even see white men hanging a black man...they just saw men hanging another man.

How sad that a cartoon "gets it" more than someone as "intelligent" as you.

You, sir, are the racist. I'm surprised that you also didn't call the ad racist because the "dark" beer was last in line.

He merely thanked me for the feedback. My guess is he's getting a little tired of all of the emails and doesn't have time to respond w/any more than that.

Of course, I also sent it to letters@kcstar.com and hopefully me calling him a racist will be published in the op-ed section of his own paper tomorrow.

I also sent the whole thing to letters@nypost.com...so maybe they'll pick up on it too.

Nice letter Joe, but I disagree with the part I've bolded.

I had never heard the word tiger, or any other non racist word, used in that rhyme till I was well into my teens.

I detested that ryhme then because of that, and still, to this day detest that rhyme.

I have very little doubt that there is still a fair amount of people that still use the N word in that rhyme.

Nzoner
07-13-2006, 10:31 PM
Nice letter Joe, but I disagree with the part I've bolded.

I had never heard the word tiger, or any other non racist word, used in that rhyme till I was well into my teens.

I detested that ryhme then because of that, and still, to this day detest that rhyme.

I have very little doubt that there is still a fair amount of people that still use the N word in that rhyme.

THAT wasn't my letter,I just copy and pasted the other guy's from one of the posts on page 2 in the linked thread.

Moooo
07-13-2006, 10:48 PM
I think saying black people are too sensitive is not the right way to say it. I honestly think about .2% of people out there are offended by it, black, white or purple.

And also, there is absolutely nothing wrong with finding this offensive. I cannot relate being in all honesty, a white male protestant, but some people can't help but feel the suffering of their ancestors when little sayings like this come up.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is just because you don't get it, doesn't mean its stupid.

Moooo

cdcox
07-13-2006, 10:56 PM
I was born in '61. The first time I heard the N-word version was in the early '70s. I heard and used the the tiger version a thousand times before that. But milkman's experience was just the opposite. Probably bad judgement by Boulevard's marketing people. They're paid to know better.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-13-2006, 11:01 PM
suffering of their ancestors

Moooo

I have never bought one ounce of that bullshit. Sorry Mooo, I have to disagree with you on this one.

Halfcan
07-13-2006, 11:11 PM
I have never bought one ounce of that bullshit. Sorry Mooo, I have to disagree with you on this one.

I don't have a comment, just wanted two Rush post together.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-13-2006, 11:12 PM
I don't have a comment, just wanted two Rush post together.

Let's hijack this thread, it's too serious anyway.

Halfcan
07-13-2006, 11:14 PM

Hey have you checked out www.rushisaband.com yet??

Moooo
07-13-2006, 11:14 PM

If you will notice, I said just because you don't experience that, doesn't mean everyone else doesn't. My main point was that somewhere out there someone does, obviously, or this wouldn't get brought up. I admitted I don't think but maybe 1 out of 500 people do, but they're still out there.

My point wasn't whether it should be up or not (I voted Gaz), my point was the poll's response isn't really the best explanation for why its no big deal.

Halfcan
07-13-2006, 11:15 PM
The Willie Wonka 2112 video is pretty funny. It is suppose to be like Dark Side of the Moon and Wizard of OZ but I don't think so.

07-13-2006, 11:16 PM
I prefer Mel Gibson's line on this.

Eenie, Meenie, Minie, Hey Moe!!!!

Gunshots galore.

SLAG
07-13-2006, 11:20 PM
yeah

Halfcan
07-13-2006, 11:22 PM
I don't like Kangaroos.

07-13-2006, 11:23 PM
Hey have you checked out www.rushisaband.com yet??
:rockon:

Pitt Gorilla
07-13-2006, 11:24 PM
Wow, I had no idea the rhyme was racist. I had grown up hearing it as "tiger."

keg in kc
07-13-2006, 11:26 PM
I don't find it offensive.

I've never heard it any other way than with "tiger".

If we want to be really touchy, then we should just outlaw everything, because no matter what the cliche or rhyme, there's some prejudiced asshole out there somewhere who's made it his (or her) own.

It's not like I'm waiting for Keebler to stop using the word "cracker" on their boxes, though, so maybe I'm the wrong person to ask.

listopencil
07-13-2006, 11:33 PM
The Willie Wonka 2112 video is pretty funny. It is suppose to be like Dark Side of the Moon and Wizard of OZ but I don't think so.

This movie/album synch stuff looks like something that is appreciated most while high.

Halfcan
07-13-2006, 11:35 PM
This movie/album synch stuff looks like something that is appreciated most while high.

The Oz Pink Floyd thing was pretty cool, you have to admit.

Halfcan
07-13-2006, 11:37 PM
:rockon:

That site rocks-they have a lot of vintage videos on there. The Trailor Park Boys 3 part video is freaking funny. They kidnap Alex.

listopencil
07-13-2006, 11:38 PM
The Oz Pink Floyd thing was pretty cool, you have to admit.

Yeah, that was prettty cool. That synch is what got me looking into it.

Gravedigger
07-14-2006, 12:05 AM
How in the fugg do you get a child's rhyme like Eenie Meenie Miney Moe to a racist offensive slogan..... that escapes me. Only racists interpret that song to have the N word instead of Tiger. Either that or annoying pricks who think everything is an attack to them.

BigOlChiefsfan
07-14-2006, 06:09 AM
"Either that or annoying pricks who think everything is an attack to them."

That's our KC 'Red' Star's op-ed staff, all right.

Dartgod
07-14-2006, 06:50 AM
I think saying black people are too sensitive is not the right way to say it.
I agree and I wish I could have changed that option after I posted it because I truly am interested in hearing the viewpoint of those that are offended.

I know we have some African Americans within our membership; I'd like to hear your opinions on this.

stevieray
07-14-2006, 07:03 AM
"people find all kinds of things
that bring them to their knees"

King_Chief_Fan
07-14-2006, 08:32 AM
I prefer Mel Gibson's line on this.

Eenie, Meenie, Minie, Hey Moe!!!!

Gunshots galore.

wub wub wub wub wub........nyuck nyuck nyuck.
soitently

Inspector
07-14-2006, 08:48 AM
I see no reason for Rush to be offended by any of this.

journeyscarab
07-14-2006, 10:41 AM
When is Peta going to step up and stop the use of Tigers in childrens rhymes?

GET OVER IT PEEPS!

Mr. Laz
07-14-2006, 10:47 AM
I've always heard the song "catch a tiger by its toe"
me too

jAZ
07-14-2006, 10:54 AM
I'd like to see the billboard to be sure, but from the sounds of it, to cry racism is just outright stupid.

BIG_DADDY
07-14-2006, 10:58 AM
I'd like to see the billboard to be sure, but from the sounds of it, to cry racism is just outright stupid.

Thank you.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-14-2006, 11:18 AM
Personally,I think this is ridiculous,it's a wonder Diuguid didn't also find it offensive that the "darkest" of the beers were the last in line.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=59529&stc=1

Here's the picture of the ad Jaz.

OnTheWarpath15
07-14-2006, 11:39 AM

Somebody has their panties in a bunch over THAT?

cadmonkey
07-14-2006, 11:43 AM
come on. this can't be a serious thing.

its something kids say when picking between red and purlpe bubble gum for f*ck's sake. I am moving away from this pussy f*ck country real soon.

DaKCMan AP
07-14-2006, 11:48 AM
come on. this can't be a serious thing.

its something kids say when picking between red and purlpe bubble gum for f*ck's sake. I am moving away from this pussy f*ck country real soon.

where to? ROFL

BIG_DADDY
07-14-2006, 11:51 AM
where to? ROFL

I may retire out of here as well. Argentina maybe. Costa Rica possibly. I will have to check it out when that day comes. It will be some place where you don't have a significant portion of the country trying to femanize it and promote PC BS.

cadmonkey
07-14-2006, 11:51 AM
where to? ROFL
anywhere i can say "pick a tiger by the toe......" and not be hung by my Caucasian neck.

BIG_DADDY
07-14-2006, 11:58 AM
BTW I didn't vote because I don't hink the great majority of black people are offended at all. I think it is probably the promoters of PC thought that continue to try and divide this country based upon race for their personal gain that are responsible for causing all the commotion

InChiefsHeaven
07-14-2006, 11:59 AM
I never knew it was a racist thing...first time I ever heard the "n" word in it was in Pulp Fiction, and I remember thinking "What? It's tiger..."

This is friggin ridiculous...

InChiefsHeaven
07-14-2006, 12:00 PM
BTW I dodn't vote because I don't hink the great majority of black people are offended at all. I think it is probably the promoters of PC thought that continue to try and divide this country based upon race for their personal gain that are responsible for causing all the commotion

Amen. THat is usually the case. People who are out there telling people that they SHOULD be offended...

Valiant
07-14-2006, 12:12 PM

Me thinks it is because the rebel flag stood for rebellion and standing up agianst the northern agressors, their state flags did not stand for this... What do you think the US flag portrays in other parts of the world??? We might have it up or wearing it on a shirt because you are proud, those around you think you are a egotistical, money-hungry, capitalistic pig who can't keep his hands in his own affiars...

Its all perspective... Too people that study history the flag is not based on slavery.. To those that do not have a clue or only took Highschool history they think it stood for slavery(Even though the war was not fought over slavery)...

ck_IN
07-14-2006, 12:23 PM
<i>Even though the war was not fought over slavery)...</i>

That's a point that is totally lost on most people. The civil war was not about slavery it was about state rights vs federal rights. Would the Jefferson vision of weak center gvt and strong states win or would Hamiltons vision of weak states and strong fed gvt win. Unfortunately slavery happened to be one of those states rights.

Ever since the civil war the 10th Ammendment has been ignored much to our detriment.

jAZ
07-14-2006, 12:30 PM
Gesus Kryst.

jAZ
07-14-2006, 12:31 PM
I don't think I can vote for either option in this poll. I think any outrage is stupid. I am also not going to say that "black people are too sensitive about this stuff" as I think white people seem to be too and black people aren't monolilthic.

BIG_DADDY
07-14-2006, 12:31 PM
Gesus Kryst.

?

DaKCMan AP
07-14-2006, 12:33 PM
I don't think I can vote for either option in this poll. I think any outrage is stupid. I am also not going to say that "black people are too sensitive about this stuff" as I think white people seem to be too and black people aren't monolilthic.

Which is why I voted gaz

BIG_DADDY
07-14-2006, 12:34 PM

BTW I didn't vote because I don't hink the great majority of black people are offended at all. I think it is probably the promoters of PC thought that continue to try and divide this country based upon race for their personal gain that are responsible for causing all the commotion

These white people?

Mr. Flopnuts
07-14-2006, 12:57 PM
Me thinks it is because the rebel flag stood for rebellion and standing up agianst the northern agressors, their state flags did not stand for this... What do you think the US flag portrays in other parts of the world??? We might have it up or wearing it on a shirt because you are proud, those around you think you are a egotistical, money-hungry, capitalistic pig who can't keep his hands in his own affiars...

Its all perspective... Too people that study history the flag is not based on slavery.. To those that do not have a clue or only took Highschool history they think it stood for slavery(Even though the war was not fought over slavery)...

You've got a good point. I'm well aware that the civil war had more going on than slavery. Anyone who only took a high school history class and actually paid attention knows it too. Your first statement is the one that hammers it home for me. No doubt about the fact that flag stands for rebellion. At least I can relate to that aspect of it. Rep for a well thought statement.

DaKCMan AP
07-14-2006, 01:03 PM
You've got a good point. I'm well aware that the civil war had more going on than slavery. Anyone who only took a high school history class and actually paid attention knows it too. Your first statement is the one that hammers it home for me. No doubt about the fact that flag stands for rebellion. At least I can relate to that aspect of it. Rep for a well thought statement.

When I see the flag on pickup trucks (never seen it on any other type of vehicle) I don't think of slavery. I think of redneck hicks, most of which have no idea what the flag stands for or its history.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-14-2006, 01:04 PM
When I see the flag on pickup trucks (never seen it on any other type of vehicle) I don't think of slavery. I think of redneck hicks, most of which have no idea what the flag stands for or its history.

I just figured they were racist.

DaKCMan AP
07-14-2006, 01:06 PM
I just figured they were racist.

Some are while others are just ignorant. Some are both.

whoaskew
07-14-2006, 01:08 PM
The majority of people on here feel that since they are not personally offended by this that noone should be offended. I think that is ridiculous.

People feel that Black people should just forget about slavery. While they may agree that it was a bad event in our history, they argue that it was a "long" time ago and that noone is affected by it today. These same people claim that anyone who identifies or experiences racism is looking for a handout.

People "turn a blind eye" to the effects of slavery as if it has no economic, emotional, or other affects on the descendants of the people directly affected.

While I had no direct ties to anyone who was killed or injured during the 911 attacks, I still felt sympathy for those who did. One could argue that the 911 attacks happened a "long" time ago too, and therefore should not have any effects on any of us today. I am sure that the widows would disagree. I am sure that the orphans would too. The same could be said of the orphan's kids.

For generations to come, the descendants of those affected will be "handicapped" in the race of life. They will not have the financial support that they should have or the emotional support that they would have. I also fear that in time our country may conveniently "forget" the sacrifice and contribution that the firefighters, public servants, and many other people provided for the benefit of others.

Sounds eerily close to the "Black" experience doesn't it?

If Al-Qaeda had a battle hymn that they only sang when initiating an attack on Americans, and some company decided to change the words "killing Americans" in the song to "killing tigers," I would think that the widows and descendants of the 911 victims would have every right to be offended. I would think less of us as a society if we weren't ALL offended, even those of us who weren't directly such as myself.

Based on the logic of most of you who have been posting on this thread (at least when it comes to Black people and their experience), you would think that the widows and descendants of the 911 victims would be playing some kind of "card" or trying to get something for nothing if they were offended as in the example above.

If there is some difference between the two examples that I am overlooking, please let me know, because I don't see any.

I also find it quite "coincidental" that they would place this seemingly "racist" message on a billboard in Westport. If you are into history you already know that Missouri was a slave state and might have realized that our Westport is the site of the "Battle of Westport" where during the Civil War the Union troops were able beat the Confederacy who tried to keep slavery in the area. Read about it here: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g38815-s203/Kansas-City:Kansas:History.html and other places.

My point is this, if you want to be a racist fine. This is after all America, and that choice is up to you, but don't scream that racism doesn't exist and that you are not a racist when your actions speak the opposite.

The bottom line is this: Don't try to justify your racist tendencies, by saying that I shouldn't have been offended by them in the first place.

Dartgod
07-14-2006, 01:12 PM
The majority of people on here feel that since they are not personally offended by this that noone should be offended. I think that is ridiculous.

People feel that Black people should just forget about slavery. While they may agree that it was a bad event in our history, they argue that it was a "long" time ago and that noone is affected by it today. These same people claim that anyone who identifies or experiences racism is looking for a handout.

People "turn a blind eye" to the effects of slavery as if it has no economic, emotional, or other affects on the descendants of the people directly affected.

While I had no direct ties to anyone who was killed or injured during the 911 attacks, I still felt sympathy for those who did. One could argue that the 911 attacks happened a "long" time ago too, and therefore should not have any effects on any of us today. I am sure that the widows would disagree. I am sure that the orphans would too. The same could be said of the orphan's kids.

For generations to come, the descendants of those affected will be "handicapped" in the race of life. They will not have the financial support that they should have or the emotional support that they would have. I also fear that in time our country may conveniently "forget" the sacrifice and contribution that the firefighters, public servants, and many other people provided for the benefit of others.

If Al-Qaeda had a battle hymn that they only sang when initiating an attack on Americans, and some company decided to change the words "killing Americans" in the song to "killing tigers," I would think that the widows and descendants of the 911 victims would have every right to be offended. I would think less of us as a society if we weren't ALL offended, even those of us who weren't directly such as myself.

Based on the logic of most of you who have been posting on this thread (at least when it comes to Black people and their experience), you would think that the widows and descendants of the 911 victims would be playing some kind of "card" or trying to get something for nothing if they were offended as in the example above.

If there is some difference between the two examples that I am overlooking, please let me know, because I don't see any.

I also find it quite "coincidental" that they would place this seemingly "racist" message on a billboard in Westport. If you are into history you already know that Missouri was a slave state and might have realized that our Westport is the site of the "Battle of Westport" where during the Civil War the Union troops were able beat the Confederacy who tried to keep slavery in the area. Read about it here: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g38815-s203/Kansas-City:Kansas:History.html and other places.

My point is this, if you want to be a racist fine. This is after all America, and that choice is up to you, but don't scream that racism doesn't exist and that you are not a racist when your actions speak the opposite.

The bottom line is this: Don't try to justify your racist tendencies, by saying that I shouldn't have been offended by them in the first place.
I making an assumption here, because you did not specifically say so in your post, but are you black?

Do you think or are you saying that the billboard in question was intentionally racist?

BIG_DADDY
07-14-2006, 01:18 PM

Anyone who doesn't agree with this guy is a racist.

Bearcat
07-14-2006, 01:26 PM
One could argue that the 911 attacks happened a "long" time ago too

Yeah, compared to this thread, not slavery :spock: Come on... in 150 years if someone is bitching that their great great great grandfather died in the WTC and that a movie with a plane hitting a tower offends them, then we'll all be laughing at them, too. We're Equal Opportunity Haters around here.

redbrian
07-14-2006, 02:24 PM

You can’t have it both ways on this, if it’s okay for blacks to utilize the “word” because of content, then it’s okay for Boulevard to use the rhyme because of content.

On a side note the poll really should read “Lewis Diuguid” is to sensitive about this stuff.

Lewis I’m sure is offended that roads are black.

DaKCMan AP
07-14-2006, 02:26 PM
You can’t have it both ways on this, if it’s okay for blacks to utilize the “word” because of content, then it’s okay for Boulevard to use the rhyme because of content.

On a side note the poll really should read “Lewis Diuguid” is to sensitive about this stuff.

Lewis I’m sure is offended that roads are black.

I never said that I thought it was wrong for Boulevard to use the rhyme.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-14-2006, 02:28 PM
Yeah let's compare 9-11 and Al Queda to slavery in terms of "a long time ago". 9-11 was 4 years ago. Al Queda is still current. Don't tell me you're this stupid. There are still people breathing who were and are affected by those two tragedies. Who do you know that lost a relative they have personally met to slavery? This may be the most moronic post I have ever seen.

Ultra Peanut
07-14-2006, 02:33 PM
Due to the wonders of my ****ed-up sleep schedule, this morning I got to witness a wonderfully strange "Jack LaLanne's Power Juicer" infomercial that featured old Jack using the word "gypped." ROFL

DanT
07-14-2006, 03:01 PM
I was born in '61. The first time I heard the N-word version was in the early '70s. I heard and used the the tiger version a thousand times before that. But milkman's experience was just the opposite. Probably bad judgement by Boulevard's marketing people. They're paid to know better.

I was born in 1965 and lived in the black belt of Kansas City (2 blocks from Paseo High) throughout my childhood. I NEVER heard the n-word version of that rhyme in the hundreds of times that my neighborhood playmates used it. I don't think I even knew there was a n-word version of that rhyme until I was in my 30's.

redbrian
07-14-2006, 03:09 PM
I never said that I thought it was wrong for Boulevard to use the rhyme.

Sorry my perception of your posts was that you were in favor of the commentary finding the billboards offensive.

I do confess that I was only half heartedly reading the thread, I’m sitting at the airport in Minneapolis after a weeks worth of training classes, listening to the Goon Show on BBC 7 and watching the new North Worst airline union making fools of themselves outside.

And it’s going to be a long wait; my flight doesn’t leave until 7:00 tonight with no chance of getting an earlier flight.

DanT
07-14-2006, 03:17 PM

Are you trying to suggest that little children use this rhyme to decide which skyscraper they are going to steer a hijacked airliner into?

sedated
07-14-2006, 03:23 PM
you people are all stupid

jettio
07-14-2006, 04:55 PM
I was born in 1965 and lived in the black belt of Kansas City (2 blocks from Paseo High) throughout my childhood. I NEVER heard the n-word version of that rhyme in the hundreds of times that my neighborhood playmates used it. I don't think I even knew there was a n-word version of that rhyme until I was in my 30's.

I had a class in college where one book was by a black author and titled, "If He Hollers Let Him Go," I had no idea about the racist version of the rhyme, which was pretty funny since I ran my mouth as usual during the class discussion, and when the instructor asked about the title I had no idea that it was ever anything but tiger.

The song played during the cool Adidas World Cup commercial with the two kids playing a street game with all of the star players, was titled, "Eanie Meanie".

It ought to be said that as much as Diuguid's column might be a bit of a stretch and a little too reactionary, there is an awful lot of overreaction to the column that is as much or more of a stretch and as much or more reactionary.

It is kind of hard to say if Duiguid sped up or slowed down Boulevard's plans to get its Kansas City Massacre Malt Liquor on the shelves.

PastorMikH
07-14-2006, 05:06 PM
I honestly never knew that ryhme used that word. We always said Tiger what I was a kid and we were picking something.

HemiEd
07-14-2006, 05:19 PM
I honestly never knew that ryhme used that word. We always said Tiger what I was a kid and we were picking something.

I did not hear the Tiger version until much, much later in life.

milkman
07-14-2006, 06:00 PM

I was raised (I use the word raised in it's loosest possible sense) by different people at different times in my life.

In the years between about my 6th birthday to my 9th birthday, my aunt's mother was responsible for me.

She and her children were basically poor white thrash, and the N word was a part of their everyday language, including in that rhyme by her grandchildren, which was obviously taught to them by their parents.

My best friend was black from that time through Jr. High, until he and his family moved to Tennessee.

Because of that, that rhyme pissed me off.

However, I don't find the billboard offensive, but I do think it's ill conceived.

go bo
07-14-2006, 06:18 PM
My Grandmother did not use the word Tiger and she did not call Brazil nuts, Brazil Nuts.yep, my grandfather, my father and my brother all did not use the word tiger and afa brazil nuts are concerned, i didn't even know they were called brazil nuts until i was a teenager...

Mr. Flopnuts
07-14-2006, 06:21 PM
afa brazil nuts are concerned, i didn't even know they were called brazil nuts until i was a teenager...

I didn't know they were anything other than Brazilians until I was at a friends house one day about 14 yrs old and his mom asked me if I wanted some....well.....toes. I'll leave it at that. Needless to say, it shocked the shit out of me.

HemiEd
07-14-2006, 06:27 PM
yep, my grandfather, my father and my brother all did not use the word tiger and afa brazil nuts are concerned, i didn't even know they were called brazil nuts until i was a teenager...

It was normal then, but the mid 60s started to sensitize all of us to the incorrectness. Brazil Nuts?

go bo
07-14-2006, 06:39 PM
It was normal then, but the mid 60s started to sensitize all of us to the incorrectness. Brazil Nuts?yep, i think you're right about that...

i'm 58...

whoaskew
07-14-2006, 07:01 PM
I making an assumption here, because you did not specifically say so in your post, but are you black?

Do you think or are you saying that the billboard in question was intentionally racist?

Yes, I am a Black man.

Whether the billboard was intentionally racist or not I can't say. What I can say is that it is a helluva coincidence. I have heard lawyers say the "if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it IS a duck" line so maybe that should also apply here.

I agree with the other posters who said that whether the Boulevard people did or didn't know is irrelevant. The truth of the matter is that they SHOULD have known.

DomerNKC
07-14-2006, 07:07 PM
I don't like Kangaroos.damn it halfcan! you kangaroo hatin bastard! i love kangaroos and you knew that didn't you? im not talkin to you any less now.

DomerNKC
07-14-2006, 07:10 PM
Yes, I am a Black man.

Whether the billboard was intentionally racist or not I can't say. What I can say is that it is a helluva coincidence. I have heard lawyers say the "if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it IS a duck" line so maybe that should also apply here.

I agree with the other posters who said that whether the Boulevard people did or didn't know is irrelevant. The truth of the matter is that they SHOULD have known.now you gotta bring the ducks into it? is the insanity ever going to end? btw, what kind of duck? mallards have squinty eyes, i dont even think I trust them.

go bo
07-14-2006, 07:11 PM
Yes, I am a Black man.

I agree with the other posters who said that whether the Boulevard people did or didn't know is irrelevant. The truth of the matter is that they SHOULD have known. how old are you?

the concensus here seems to be that the n-word version of eenie meenie minie mo was pretty much a thing of the past after the 60's, except for older people and (some) southerners...

personally, i don't find the reference to eenie and friends objectionable at all, but i can certainly understand how a black person could view it as racist, or at least a historical racist reference that remains offensive...

Archie F. Swin
07-14-2006, 07:20 PM
What I can say is that it is a helluva coincidence.

please...please come back to reality.

Really, you're puttin way to much thought into this.