PDA

View Full Version : Man eyes free-fall from 25 miles above Earth

Donger
07-13-2006, 08:33 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20060713/sc_space/spacediverpreparesforbigjump

Frenchman Michel Fournier is readying himself and equipment to attempt a record-setting free fall from the stratosphere.

Dubbed "The Big Jump", Fournier is eyeing next month for his supersonic free fall from about 130,000 feet (40 kilometers)--roughly 25 miles above the Earth. The dive from a balloon-carried gondola is slated to take place above the plains of Saskatchewan, Canada.

The 62-year old Fournier is an experienced parachutist, pilot and former military officer. He hopes his ultra-sky dive will contribute to the development of future technologies and the safety of stratospheric flight--specifically by astronauts in high altitude emergencies that are outfitted with the proper survival equipment.

In September 2002 and then again in August 2003, Fournier's stratospheric high-dive over Canada was thwarted by weather and balloon problems. Over the last two year, The Big Jump team has worked on technical issues, ordering a new balloon, and awaiting the next inversion of jet streams over Canada this August.

Record-setting fall

The Jump equipment is principally composed of a huge Russian-supplied stratospheric balloon and the specially crafted gondola. To ascend to jump height will take some 3 hours. The gondola shelters Fournier during ascent. It also is loaded with flight instruments: navigation equipment, oxygen bottles, radio gear, video recorders and Global Positioning System (GPS) satellite tracking device.

If successful, Fournier will beat four world parachutist's records from the border of space:

* Altitude record for freefall
* Altitude record for human balloon flight
* Time record for longest freefall
* Speed record for fastest freefall--breaking the sound barrier in the process

After the separation of the balloon and at the time of Fournier's jump, the gondola will descend by parachutes. The base of the gondola is equipped with shock absorbers for a safe touch down back on the ground.

Fournier will be wearing a spacesuit made of new synthetic material fabricated by the Textile Institute of France. The apparel is designed to thermally balance the wearer's body during The Big Jump, yet is light enough to enhance Fournier's maneuverability during the plunge to Earth.

Stepping out into thin air

There's history to be set and broken by Fournier.

On August 16, 1960, Captain Joseph Kittinger jumped into the record books after his dive from a height of 102,800 feet (31,334 meters). That jump set records that still stand today--the highest parachute jump, the longest freefall, and the fastest speed ever attained by a human through the atmosphere. But somewhat in contention was Kittinger's use of a small stabilization parachute during his record-setting fall.

Roger Eugene Andreyev, a Russian, is noted as holding the world's free fall record of 80,325 feet (24,483 meters), set on November 1, 1962.

In spotlighting the upcoming skydiving attempt, French astronaut, Jean-François Clervoy, explained that Fournier "will fulfill in a way one of my fantasies as an astronaut...which was always to 'walk back home' from space." He stated that Fournier is to be admired for the human dimensions of the solo exploit because he will be the only person onboard the gondola to ultimately decide to step out into thin air and take the gigantic step.

chagrin
07-13-2006, 08:36 AM
rippin

4th and Long
07-13-2006, 08:37 AM
Roger Eugene Andreyev, a Russian, is noted as holding the world's free fall record of 80,325 feet (24,483 meters), set on November 1, 1962.
I think I saw some video of this. It made me say, "No way in hell would I do that!"

Donger
07-13-2006, 08:37 AM
Here's a picture of Kittinger's jump.

4th and Long
07-13-2006, 08:39 AM
Here's a picture of Kittinger's jump.
Maybe that's the video I saw. Either way, NO THANK YOU!

Donger
07-13-2006, 08:40 AM
Some video: http://www.metacafe.com/watch/42263/the_speed_of_sound/

chagrin
07-13-2006, 08:48 AM
wicked shit dude

Donger
07-13-2006, 08:51 AM
Kittinger was a little 'off.'

The third and final test, Excelsior III, was made on August 16, 1960. During the ascent the pressure seal in Kittinger's right glove failed, and he began to experience severe pain in his right hand. He decided not to inform the ground crew about this, in case they should decide to abort the test. Despite temporarily losing the use of his right hand, he continued with the ascent, climbing to an altitude of 102,800 feet (31,300 m), or almost 20 miles. The ascent took one hour and 31 minutes, and broke the previous manned balloon altitude record of 101,516 feet (30,942 m) set by Major David Simons in 1957. Kittinger stayed at peak altitude for 12 minutes, waiting for the balloon to drift over the landing target area. He then stepped out of the gondola to begin his descent.

The small stabiliser chute deployed successfully and Kittinger fell for 4 minutes and 36 seconds, setting a still-standing world record for the longest parachute freefall (although some authorities do not count this as a freefall record because of the use of the stabiliser chute). At an altitude of 17,500 feet (5.3 km) Kittinger opened his main chute and landed safely in the New Mexico desert. The whole descent took 13 minutes and 45 seconds, and set the current world record for the highest parachute jump.

During the descent, Kittinger experienced temperatures as low as −94 degrees Fahrenheit (−70 degrees Celsius). In the freefall stage he reached a top speed that is variously estimated as 614 mph (988 km/h) or 625 mph (1,005 km/h); in later interviews, Kittinger put his top speed at 714 mph (1,149 km/h). As the speed of sound is lower in the upper atmosphere than at ground level, this means he was travelling at transsonic, and perhaps supersonic, speeds. Despite this, Kittinger said he had no sensation of speed until he approached the cloud deck.

A plaque attached below the open door of the Excelsior III gondola read "This is the highest step in the world".

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-13-2006, 09:05 AM
That's nothing. I know a guy that once jumped off the space station and freefell back to earth.

Fat Elvis
07-13-2006, 09:12 AM
Pussies...that cow jumped over the moon.

Top that biatches.

StcChief
07-13-2006, 09:13 AM
That's nothing. I know a guy that once jumped off the space station and freefell back to earth.
He's NOT still alive.

4th and Long
07-13-2006, 09:14 AM
http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/9343/funnythread5gl.jpg

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-13-2006, 09:39 AM
He's NOT still alive.

Yep. Sure is.

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:3q_Tt7EiPd6C5M:www.dichos.galeon.com/caricaturas/Ramon1.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.dichos.galeon.com/caricaturas/Ramon1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.dichos.galeon.com/personaje12.htm&h=340&w=269&sz=11&hl=en&start=4&tbnid=3q_Tt7EiPd6C5M:&tbnh=115&tbnw=90&prev=/images%3Fq%3DDeformed%2Bpeople%26ndsp%3D18%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN)