PDA

View Full Version : Barbaro prognosis is now poor

John_Locke
07-13-2006, 09:36 AM
Barbaro fighting for life after developing laminitis

By RICHARD ROSENBLATT, AP Racing Writer
July 13, 2006

KENNETT SQUARE, Pa. (AP) -- Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro was fighting for his life Thursday after developing a severe case of laminitis, a potentially fatal disease brought on by uneven weight distribution in the limbs.

Dean Richardson, the chief surgeon who has been treating Barbaro since the colt suffered catastrophic injuries in the Preakness on May 20, called the Derby winner's chances of survival "poor."

"I'd be lying if I said anything other than poor," Richardson said Thursday at a news conference at the University of Pennsylvania's New Bolton Center. "As long as the horse is not suffering, we're going to continue to try (to save him).

"If we can keep him comfortable, we think it's worth the effort."

http://sports.yahoo.com/rah/news;_ylt=ArFqgje2DFWARiRpMHefiJg5nYcB?slug=ap-barbaro&prov=ap&type=lgns

I was rooting for this horse. Sad event really

Demonpenz
07-13-2006, 09:38 AM
damn come on man pull through

Braincase
07-13-2006, 09:39 AM
You can bet they've got a battery operated artificial horse vagina milking that horse....

Hammock Parties
07-13-2006, 09:41 AM
http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/7801/elgr03722jx.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Bootlegged
07-13-2006, 09:51 AM
I said, Ba Ba Ba, Ba Ba Barino

Ba Ba Ba Ba Ba Barino

http://www.shangri.com/images/barbarino.jpg

chiefs4me
07-13-2006, 02:16 PM
less the 24 hours...:(

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-13-2006, 02:24 PM
Dog Food

tyton75
07-13-2006, 02:50 PM
Wonder if the Glue they make him out of will be a more expensive, Barbaro glue for Ivy League schools or something :)

Pennywise
07-13-2006, 02:56 PM
Bummer. It's pretty much over once laminitis sets in, no matter how severe.

chagrin
07-13-2006, 03:03 PM
This is sad

chagrin
I said, Ba Ba Ba, Ba Ba Barino

Ba Ba Ba Ba Ba Barino

http://www.shangri.com/images/barbarino.jpg

"What"
"Where"

MOhillbilly
You can bet they've got a battery operated artificial horse vagina milking that horse....

no shit. they can draw enough straws even if he does die barbaro could sire thousands.

and NONE of them could ever get a wiff of a win.

John_Locke
07-13-2006, 03:42 PM
Bummer. It's pretty much over once laminitis sets in, no matter how severe.

talking about making the decision to put him down.

sad thing all around.

was hoping for best.

jspchief
07-13-2006, 07:27 PM
no shit. they can draw enough straws even if he does die barbaro could sire thousands.

and NONE of them could ever get a wiff of a win.It's illegal and against racing regulations for his sperm to be used in that manner. I don't know the exact details, I just there will be no "legal" offspring of Barbaro.

Halfcan
07-13-2006, 07:29 PM
http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/7801/elgr03722jx.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Wow that was truely tactless-but pretty damn funny!

Swanman
07-13-2006, 07:40 PM
It's illegal and against racing regulations for his sperm to be used in that manner. I don't know the exact details, I just there will be no "legal" offspring of Barbaro.

I just learned the rule today. For the offspring to be licensed to race as a thoroughbred, Barbaro needs to mount the mare, not artificial insemination. If a pony was born from artificial insemination, it could still race in some races, but obviously not the big ones, so it wouldn't be worth the effort.

Hammock Parties
07-13-2006, 07:51 PM
Wow that was truely tactless-but pretty damn funny!

It's a f*cking horse. His life is glory and sex with a 30-inch penis. Forgive me if I'm not too broken up over his imminent demise.

Moooo
07-13-2006, 08:25 PM
It's a f*cking horse. His life is glory and sex with a 30-inch penis. Forgive me if I'm not too broken up over his imminent demise.

Just out of curiosity, what exactly makes you better than the horse? Hell, he has national recognition and has a job for the rest of his life as a stud if he makes it. I know that's two things I'll never be able to do or have.

Just curious.

Moooo

Moooo
07-13-2006, 08:27 PM
I just learned the rule today. For the offspring to be licensed to race as a thoroughbred, Barbaro needs to mount the mare, not artificial insemination. If a pony was born from artificial insemination, it could still race in some races, but obviously not the big ones, so it wouldn't be worth the effort.

Also, there has to be Marvin Gaye playing in the background.

Rules is rules :)

Moooo

Saulbadguy
07-13-2006, 08:28 PM
Who gives a shit? It's a horse. They should take it out back and shoot the ****ing thing.

Moooo
07-13-2006, 08:30 PM
Who gives a shit? It's a horse. They should take it out back and shoot the ****ing thing.

That's what everyone says. But biologically we're no better than him.

Those of you that think he is just a horse, what are you using for your reasoning that you are better than him? I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just curious.

Moooo

4th and Long
07-13-2006, 08:31 PM
A horse is a horse, of course, of course.

4th and Long
07-13-2006, 08:31 PM

Those of you that think he is just a horse, what are you using for your reasoning that you are better than him? I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just curious.

Moooo
Can I start with projected average life span and get back to you later?

Moooo
07-13-2006, 08:32 PM
Can I start with projected average life span and get back to you later?

So a horse isn't but a Tortoise is twice as good as us?

Moooo

4th and Long
07-13-2006, 08:35 PM
So a horse isn't but a Tortoise is twice as good as us?

Moooo
I have no idea. I suggest you ask Mr. Hare.

Saulbadguy
07-13-2006, 09:21 PM

Moooo
It's a horse. We are on the top of the food chain. It is not.

Moooo
07-13-2006, 11:08 PM
It's a horse. We are on the top of the food chain. It is not.

I don't eat horse.

In all honesty, the only reason we are better than a horse in your opinion is because we can hunt it and kill it? A tiger could kill me, so is it better than me?

Moooo

tk13
07-13-2006, 11:18 PM
That horse could've made more money than a lot of people ever will.

Phobia
07-13-2006, 11:32 PM

Those of you that think he is just a horse, what are you using for your reasoning that you are better than him?

Well, for one thing - I'm going to be alive and mounting next week.

Rausch
07-13-2006, 11:50 PM

Moooo

Miles
07-14-2006, 12:01 AM
Perfect use of Piven.

Moooo
07-14-2006, 12:08 AM

I know it sounds silly. ANd I understand in a world created by humans we are obviously going to be viewed as superior. But sometimes I just like to see people's reasoning for what they do.

Moooo

Imon Yourside
07-14-2006, 01:52 AM
Something Life Threatening happened to Gary Barbaro? and were talking about horses...it's almost Bovine Scatology.

Saulbadguy
07-14-2006, 05:44 AM
I don't eat horse.

In all honesty, the only reason we are better than a horse in your opinion is because we can hunt it and kill it? A tiger could kill me, so is it better than me?

Moooo
Of course you don't, but you would to survive.

MOhillbilly
07-14-2006, 07:32 AM
It's illegal and against racing regulations for his sperm to be used in that manner. I don't know the exact details, I just there will be no "legal" offspring of Barbaro.

that sucks but like you said. "legal" is just a word.

Iowanian
07-14-2006, 09:09 AM
Its an Effing Horse. I'm better than him because I have opposable thumbs a soul and can make him wear a saddle. When a horse can chase me, catch me with a rope, make me let him ride me for sport or work and put his brand on me.....he's at least an equal.

Milk all the pony Butter out of it and call the rendering truck.

With all of the things happening in the world, I can't fathom why this is getting so much play.

jspchief
07-14-2006, 09:13 AM
that sucks but like you said. "legal" is just a word.But no one is going to pay big money for sperm to produce a horse they can't race/breed.

Sure, a lot of Joes might want to have a descendant of Barbaro, but there's little real value to it.

Iowanian
07-14-2006, 09:14 AM
I was un-aware of what JSP said.

BEfore they put him down, they should flip him upside down in some pony hammock and have every hot mare in Kentucky ride him like a equestrine Sybian until his heart stops.

What more humane way to put a horse down could there be.

If you could just keep the bronco fans from taking their turn.......

MOhillbilly
07-14-2006, 09:19 AM
But no one is going to pay big money for sperm to produce a horse they can't race/breed.

Sure, a lot of Joes might want to have a descendant of Barbaro, but there's little real value to it.
i would have to think in the world of competative animal sports its all about winners. Someone will want offspring from barbaro and use any means to doctor a ped. from another good horse/ stakes winner.

Noway his offspring dont find there way to the track by legit means of cheating.

and if he is one of those rare individuals who is not only a champion on the track but can produce champions in the stable there will be lots of doctored peds.

If i owned the horse and stable, id do it no question.

Winners are to rare not to.

(and they will pay big money for a straw, just less than they would by useing a legit stud service.)

Bearcat
07-14-2006, 09:24 AM
Just out of curiosity, what exactly makes you better than the horse? Hell, he has national recognition and has a job for the rest of his life as a stud if he makes it. I know that's two things I'll never be able to do or have.

Just curious.

Moooo

Oh, the envy... he's the William Hung of the horse circuit. He goes out, does his thing, then has no f'n clue why people keep applauding. To be him for a day ROFL

Moooo
07-14-2006, 09:25 AM
Oh, the envy... he's the William Hung of the horse circuit. He goes out, does his thing, then has no f'n clue why people keep applauding. To be him for a day ROFL

So self-awareness is what makes us better?

Moooo

Bearcat
07-14-2006, 09:30 AM
So self-awareness is what makes us better?

Moooo

Along with other things like learning, problem solving, thumbs, intelligence, emotional intelligence, evolving to the top of the food chain, being potty trained... just to name a few.

Baby Lee
07-14-2006, 09:35 AM
Not to interrupt the metaphysical navel-gazing, but;
Barbaro improves (http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/07/14/D8IRP1LG0.html)

Iowanian
07-14-2006, 09:36 AM
When is the last time you saw a horse use a tool?
Even monkeys are above them, because they can use a stick to catch and eat Termites.

Its also legal to eat a horse...not a person. yet another reason I'm better than him.

MOhillbilly
07-14-2006, 09:39 AM
When is the last time you saw a horse use a tool?
Even monkeys are above them, because they can use a stick to catch and eat Termites.

Its also legal to eat a horse...not a person. yet another reason I'm better than him.

Racehorses are gamebred.

a shit eating monkey is not.

Iowanian
07-14-2006, 09:41 AM
Eat, drink, sleep, run fast 3 days a week. They also have pencil thin legs that break easier than a ringding wrapper at a weight watchers convention.

A monkey can climb a tree, learn sign language, have flown in space, and can throw feces at people who don't applaud them.

MOhillbilly
07-14-2006, 10:08 AM
[QUOTE=Iowanian]Eat, drink, sleep, run fast 3 days a week. They also have pencil thin legs that break easier than a ringding wrapper at a weight watchers convention.

Im not hear to argue that monkeys are smarter than horses.

theres more to it than just eat sleep run fast.

You cant make a horse win a stakes.

its in the blood.

you cant make a dog scratch,you cant make a cock stay, and you cant make a horse win.

they have to want it.

its in the blood.

MOhillbilly
07-14-2006, 10:27 AM
"Speed is bred thru blood, but the attributes of 'gameness' and generosity are something else. And therein lies the sweet mystery of the race horse.

The Thoroughbred is bred to run,to race, and so the quality of being 'game' is something this creature understands, because that is what we have sought for over 300 years.

The will and determination to turn away others, to be 'generous in his striving to win a race, are hallmarks of the Thoroughbred's competitive fire"

http://www.foolishdreamfarm.com/fdf7.html

Iowanian
07-14-2006, 10:39 AM
Thats true.

In the end, it is still a horse. Its a game horse that is very physically fragile and has little use outside of racing.

I've got no problem with racing horses or horse racing...I enjoy going to the track, and know a couple of the top horse shoers at a track and had a neighbor who raised them growing up.

I just find it interesting, that in a time with so many things happening in the world, we're getting hourly updates on the blood pressure of a broken horse.

Its unfortunate, but Its right up there with "who did Ashley Simpson share a salad with last night" on my list of concerns worthy of news.

Bearcat
07-14-2006, 10:41 AM
Wow.

Just.... wow.

MOhillbilly
07-14-2006, 10:50 AM
Thats true.

In the end, it is still a horse. Its a game horse that is very physically fragile and has little use outside of racing.

I've got no problem with racing horses or horse racing...I enjoy going to the track, and know a couple of the top horse shoers at a track and had a neighbor who raised them growing up.

I just find it interesting, that in a time with so many things happening in the world, we're getting hourly updates on the blood pressure of a broken horse.

Its unfortunate, but Its right up there with "who did Ashley Simpson share a salad with last night" on my list of concerns worthy of news.
like you dont toon in for chiefs happenings.

no diffrent, human perspective is never right.

but we would go crazy if it were...or atleast crazier.

domesticated animals have little use other than what they are bred for.

Its the human atributes(the unseen intangeable) that we put into animals that makes us respect them.
They are diffrent.

One only has to look at sea biscuit while the Depression raged.

BIG_DADDY
07-14-2006, 10:52 AM

You know you want her.

vailpass
07-14-2006, 11:06 AM
I wish my load was worth so much money that scores of people wanted to keep me alive just so they could set me up with one random ***** after another for the rest of my natural born days.

MOhillbilly
07-14-2006, 11:08 AM
I wish my load was worth so much money that scores of people wanted to keep me alive just so they could set me up with one random ***** after another for the rest of my natural born days.

what have you done to deserve it?

BIG_DADDY
07-14-2006, 11:13 AM
ROFL

Iowanian
07-14-2006, 11:20 AM
You know you want her to clean your house.

Fixed it.

BIG_DADDY
07-14-2006, 11:48 AM
Fixed it.

I knew it. You want her to polish your helmut.

MOhillbilly
07-14-2006, 11:49 AM
hahaa

Iowanian
07-14-2006, 01:18 PM
I knew it. You want her to polish your helmut.

I've let alot worse polish my helmet....but at this time, I'm thinking 1/2 of my stuff is too expensive...even if she did have her eagle beak ground down.

Bearcat
07-14-2006, 01:28 PM

We should all be so lucky to one day have a midget ride us to victory.