PDA

View Full Version : Best place to go on a float trip in Missouri?

sd4chiefs
07-13-2006, 09:40 AM
I am looking for a place where there is not bumper to bumper canoes but not to boring?

Thanks.

StcChief
07-13-2006, 09:42 AM
Current River / Jacks Fork south of Rolla.

stumppy
07-13-2006, 09:51 AM
Go a little further south and float the lower Buffalo in Arkansas. You won't regret it.

Chief Henry
07-13-2006, 09:57 AM
I've floated the Huzzah and and the Current in Southern Mo. several times each. I've also floated on the Current in Arkansas. I would say all three
are nice but for me the Current was better. Why,
I can't really say for sure but I do know that I enjoyed it better. Its been 5-6 years since I've been on a float trip. Just stay clear of the
I-44 truck stop in Cuba, Mo. I had the nigfht mare from hell one long weekend on a float trip.
THAT POS owner jerked me around for 3-4 days
with our car problem. Finally we halled back to
our home by renting a car hauler from UHALL.

I've stopped in that truck stop twice since and I've pizzed all over there bathroom floor just because how that POS owner....That SOB still pizzes me off.

Iowanian
07-13-2006, 09:57 AM
I've floated the Current several times, and Jacks Fork a time or two.

Jack's fork was a slower river.

Both have alot of snakes.

I'd go to the current. Take your dipnet.

DMAC
07-13-2006, 09:58 AM
Your best bet is the Eleven Point river in Alton.

It is the best river in my opinion in MO, and no one is ever on it. I don't get it.

DMAC
07-13-2006, 09:59 AM
IF you dont like bumper to bumper, then do not go to the Current

StcChief
07-13-2006, 10:01 AM
Your best bet is the Eleven Point river in Alton.

It is the best river in my opinion in MO, and no one is ever on it. I don't get it.

Illinois ? I thought poster is looking in MO? Not sure where / how far he want to go.

That is choice too look into for being near by STL.

DMAC
07-13-2006, 10:04 AM
Illinois ? I thought poster is looking in MO? Not sure where / how far he want to go.

That is choice too look into for being near by STL.HELL NO NOT ILLINOIS!

If you read the post I wrote it says MO.
Alton is about 30 miles east of West Plains...It's on the way to the Current.
Illinois...ROFL Lets go floating in a cornfield!!!!PBJ %(/

stumppy
07-13-2006, 10:07 AM
IF you dont like bumper to bumper, then do not go to the Current

Exactly.

It might might be too bad during the week but weekends are like rush hour.

Simplex3
07-13-2006, 10:29 AM
Exactly.

It might might be too bad during the week but weekends are like rush hour.
Bumper canoes.

ct
07-13-2006, 11:14 AM
Best floaters in Missouri can be found in Kaufmann Stadium.

Smoke
07-13-2006, 11:24 AM
Go a little further south and float the lower Buffalo in Arkansas. You won't regret it.

This would be my pick as well...I'd even suggest making it a camping trip and float for two days

bogie
07-13-2006, 11:26 AM
I've gone several times to Twin Bridges just outside West Plains, MO. It's a pretty lazy float with a couple of exciting spots. The people working Twin Bridges are really nice and helpful. There's a campground there as well. We would set up camp at Twin Bridges, ride a bus up the river and float back down to camp. If I remember right, they have several different lengths of floats. I miss those floats! Drink a beer or 6 for me.

MOhillbilly
07-13-2006, 11:28 AM
ANTRY!!!

dirk digler
07-13-2006, 11:31 AM
When I was in Boy Scouts we went floating on the Current/Jacks Fork river every year for 10 days. We would camp out on the sand bars and just take our time. It was nice.

I haven't been in a few years but I could tell from my past experiences the Jacks Fork is alot faster river than the Current. It is alot narrower and shallow in alot of places which make for some fun turns and rapids plus there always seems to be alot of brush that you have to navigate through which is always fun.

The Current is ok but there is alot of dead spots and from what I understand they don't allow you to jump off the rocks anymore but I could be wrong.

Herzig
07-13-2006, 11:34 AM

The Buffalo River is the only river that is a National Park in America. Nice scenery, but go during in the fall or spring when the water is higher...during the summer there are spots that are lower and your canoe will run a ground.

The Elk River in Pineville,MO is okay, but I like the Illinois River in Talequah, Oklahoma

Lzen
07-13-2006, 11:36 AM
Heh, funny you should mention this. I am going to souther MO this weekend to do a canoe trip. I'm not sure exactly where, though. We're going with our friends who live in Carthage. I think it's somewhere near there.

Smoke
07-13-2006, 11:38 AM
You could try Dawt Mill on North Fork. It's got monkeys that will steal from your coolers.

CoMoChief
07-13-2006, 11:41 AM
Whats the river thats down by Bennett Springs? I think its called the Niragua River but I'm not sure. Anyways thats a good river to have a float trip on IMO.

gblowfish
07-13-2006, 11:49 AM
Elk River near Noel, MO in Southwest Corner is good; right off US 71 Highway.
Anywhere around Jack's Fork, Eleven Point or Huzzah in SE Missouri is beautiful.

Inner Tube floating in the Meremac southwest of St. Louis is slow current but fun.

The Buffalo River near Jasper, Ark is a National Protected Waterway. Beautiful Limestone Bluffs, great float. It's about an hour south of Branson.

Just don't drown and die. That would be bad.

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-13-2006, 12:25 PM
There's only one river to float and that's the Amazon. It's a slow river for the most part but very scenic. Be sure to take a .44 magnum if you go.

stumppy
07-13-2006, 12:34 PM
The Buffalo River is the only river that is a National Park in America. Nice scenery, but go during in the fall or spring when the water is higher...during the summer there are spots that are lower and your canoe will run a ground.

Thats why I said LOWER Buffalo. You can float that part year round.

MOhillbilly
07-13-2006, 12:40 PM
There's only one river to float and that's the Amazon. It's a slow river for the most part but very scenic. Be sure to take a .44 magnum if you go.

catfish that swim in your pee hole and have to be cut out?

no thanks.

StcChief
07-13-2006, 01:15 PM
Anywhere around Jack's Fork, Eleven Point or Huzzah in SE Missouri is beautiful.

Inner Tube floating in the Meremac southwest of St. Louis is slow current but fun.

The Buffalo River near Jasper, Ark is a National Protected Waterway. Beautiful Limestone Bluffs, great float. It's about an hour south of Branson.

Make sure you can swim..unlike these unfortunate kids....

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/stlouiscitycounty/story/7D5EEBAA2D1F50CC862571A7004F3711?OpenDocument

luv
07-13-2006, 01:16 PM
I'm not sure what it was called, but the last time I went, it was in SEMO. Alley Spring? You'd probably consider it boring though. It was a nice, easy, tube float.

DMAC
07-13-2006, 01:17 PM
Whats the river thats down by Bennett Springs? I think its called the Niragua River but I'm not sure. Anyways thats a good river to have a float trip on IMO.Niangua. Make sure and float that one AFTER Bennett Springs...Or you will have to canoe around cows.

penguinz
07-13-2006, 01:25 PM
Th eupper Buffalo during High water is the best time. Just make sure you wear a helmet and a life jacket. I have seen canoes and kayaks wrapped aroudn a tree there during the rainy seasons.

Rain Man
07-13-2006, 01:45 PM
Are "float trips" purely a Missouri thing, or does that term - and activity - exist in other parts of the country? I've never heard it outside Missouri.

On another topic, I had the most overprotective parents that have ever walked the face of the earth. They're nice people, but they're afraid of anything that's unfamiliar. (Have I told the story of them warning me about the dangers of Disney World?)

Anyway, my sister got some minor swimming lessons as a child, and I got none, so neither of us can swim. In college, my sister got invited to go on a float trip, and from my parents' reaction, you would've thought that she'd been invited to go undercover in Fallujah. They went absolutely nuts, kept calling her and telling her not to go, pleading with her to not take that risk, telling her that she was going to die, etc., etc. My dad even drove a hundred miles to Springfield to make his argument in person. I was still living with them at that time, and I found it quite entertaining.

J Diddy
07-13-2006, 01:54 PM
Heh, funny you should mention this. I am going to souther MO this weekend to do a canoe trip. I'm not sure exactly where, though. We're going with our friends who live in Carthage. I think it's somewhere near there.

probably in noel, that's where we always go.

Up by the arkansas border.

Dartgod
07-13-2006, 02:07 PM
Are "float trips" purely a Missouri thing, or does that term - and activity - exist in other parts of the country? I've never heard it outside Missouri.

On another topic, I had the most overprotective parents that have ever walked the face of the earth. They're nice people, but they're afraid of anything that's unfamiliar. (Have I told the story of them warning me about the dangers of Disney World?)

Anyway, my sister got some minor swimming lessons as a child, and I got none, so neither of us can swim. In college, my sister got invited to go on a float trip, and from my parents' reaction, you would've thought that she'd been invited to go undercover in Fallujah. They went absolutely nuts, kept calling her and telling her not to go, pleading with her to not take that risk, telling her that she was going to die, etc., etc. My dad even drove a hundred miles to Springfield to make his argument in person. I was still living with them at that time, and I found it quite entertaining.
So, did she die? Please don't leave us hanging like this.

RockChalk
07-13-2006, 02:13 PM
Whats the river thats down by Bennett Springs? I think its called the Niragua River but I'm not sure. Anyways thats a good river to have a float trip on IMO.

Was just down there about 3 weeks ago. Bumper to bumper canoes and we got stuck about every 2 minutes. Needless to say I still had a helluva time because I put down about 18 beers.

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-13-2006, 02:18 PM
So, did she die? Please don't leave us hanging like this.

Of course she didn't die. How ****in stupid are you!

CoMoChief
07-13-2006, 02:20 PM
Needless to say I still had a helluva time because I put down about 18 beers.

Isn't that the main reason to go on float trips?!?! :p

Rain Man
07-13-2006, 02:22 PM
Of course she didn't die. How ****in stupid are you!

Actually, she did die. My parents were at the funeral pointing at her casket yelling, "I told you so! I told you so!" and I had to pull them away because it was creating a scene, and beyond that, they never found her body anyway so it was just an empty casket and it was kind of freaking out the older people that my parents were yelling at this empty casket.

chiefs4me
07-13-2006, 02:26 PM
Niangua. Make sure and float that one AFTER Bennett Springs...Or you will have to canoe around cows.

it's not that bad....

chefsos
07-13-2006, 02:37 PM
Are "float trips" purely a Missouri thing, or does that term - and activity - exist in other parts of the country? I've never heard it outside Missouri...
Well, I went "tubing" down the Shenandoah River at Harper's Ferry, WV once. Sounds like the same thing with a different name. I think the activity, whatever the name, goes on all over the place, but it seems to me (mostly from seeing you guys talk about it) like it's more of a tradition in Missouri.

grandllama
07-13-2006, 03:04 PM

We were down there over memorial day and had a great time, but as others have said, we did get stuck on the rocks quite a bit... of course GLjr who is my size and I were in the canoe with my daughter, and that does add jest a little bit of weight to the occassion...

crispystl
07-13-2006, 03:13 PM
Current River / Jacks Fork south of Rolla.
I don't know about campsites because, honestly they're alot alike and when your drunk the whole time it's hard to seperate them. However as far as rivers are concerned I always have the best time on the current.

Bugeater
07-13-2006, 03:28 PM

Heh, I've been on a few floats on the Elk River myself, I have some friends that live right by it. I don't think it's ever real busy and it's a pretty nice area. Just remember to duck at Low Water Bridge!

JimNasium
07-13-2006, 03:35 PM
Actually, she did die. My parents were at the funeral pointing at her casket yelling, "I told you so! I told you so!" and I had to pull them away because it was creating a scene, and beyond that, they never found her body anyway so it was just an empty casket and it was kind of freaking out the older people that my parents were yelling at this empty casket.
You might be able to utilize an empty casket on a float trip. :hmmm:

DMAC
07-13-2006, 03:42 PM
it's not that bad....I distinctly remember waking up on the river to MOOOOOOOOO!!!...looking out of my tent, and seeing approx. 8-10 cows crapping where we were swimming the night before.

So, yes, it is that bad.

chasedude
07-13-2006, 03:52 PM

Rain Man, I'm glad I didn't have your parents growing up. Sometimes when parents are sooo overprotective they drive their children even farther away!

chefsos
07-13-2006, 04:02 PM
Rain Man, I'm glad I didn't have your parents growing up. Sometimes when parents are sooo overprotective they drive their children even farther away!
The really maladjusted ones could even wind up in Denver.

Moooo
07-13-2006, 04:12 PM
You could try Dawt Mill on North Fork. It's got monkeys that will steal from your coolers.

This is where I used to live! Not that house, but about 6 miles away from there...

The monkeys are nice...

Moooo

DMAC
07-13-2006, 04:14 PM
This is where I used to live! Not that house, but about 6 miles away from there...

The monkeys are nice...

MooooROFL Do the monkeys dress in overalls?

Rain Man
07-13-2006, 04:15 PM
You might be able to utilize an empty casket on a float trip. :hmmm:

Wow. If she had only had a casket with her, she might have made it.

Rain Man
07-13-2006, 04:24 PM

They were good parents in other ways, but I must admit that a reasonable part of my social retardation is attributable to environment. We could never have anyone in our house because they might steal something. We could never go into anyone's house because they could kill us. We could never open the curtains in the house because someone outside could be watching and waiting for an opportunity to kill us. We could never go to St. Louis, because we would get killed by thugs at a stop light. I couldn't drive to the town 7 miles away because it involved highway driving, and I could break down or get killed. We couldn't go on float trips because we could get killed. The list goes on and on. It was a bit stifling, and they really freaked when I decided to go to India on vacation when I was 26.

Interestingly, though, at least part of that has a source. My mother's brother, at the age of 16, was a witness in a mass murder back in the 50s. He and his best friend went on a double date, and it turned out that the next door neighbor of the friend's date was a nut who'd been doing the peeping tom thing on the 16 year-old girl. While they were on the double date, he came into the house and killed the whole family. My mom was 7 when this all happened, so she grew up knowing as a fact that if you leave your curtains open, someone wil come and kill you.

BigOlChiefsfan
07-13-2006, 07:38 PM
A tisket, a tasket, a float trip in a casket. Hey, it's been done near New Orleans.

I like most of the usual suspects, above, as well as the Big Piney between Rolla & Ft. Leonard Wood. Decent float, nice scenery, very few people midweek and fewer canoes than some others on the weekends (there's no empty cold water in MO on a summer weekend). Pretty good fishing. Bring lures that immitate a crawdads for the smallmouth and plenty of jigs w/offset spinners for the goggle-eye (hard-fighting little panfish, sorta like a bluegill only with bong-hit red googley-eyes.).

Smoke
07-13-2006, 09:10 PM

The monkeys are nice...

Moooo

Small world, I live 35-40 minutes from Dawt. I always thought the monkeys were cool, but I did watch my buddies Mom get a nasty bite from the one that would always go to the river bank. It is in my top 5 of funniest things I have ever seen. I think the screeching monkey noise that came from the monkey and the woman at the same time is what made it humorous.

Moooo
07-13-2006, 09:16 PM
Small world, I live 35-40 minutes from Dawt. I always thought the monkeys were cool, but I did watch my buddies Mom get a nasty bite from the one that would always go to the river bank. It is in my top 5 of funniest things I have ever seen. I think the screeching monkey noise that came from the monkey and the woman at the same time is what made it humorous.

I'm a Gainesvillian originally. I'll go out on a limb and say you're from West Plains?

Moooo

Iowanian
07-13-2006, 09:26 PM
bRainman needs to go to Training camp, and then slip up to Apple River Wisconsin.

I'd anxiously await his trip report, surely to begin something like

"Sweet Jesus we rounded the 2nd bend on our tubes, as I sipped a refreshing Bartles and James, while enjoying the cool water on my aching feet in the sweet morning sun... when Suddenly we encountered this logjam of young people, and a buxom blonde walked be enthisuasticly showing me her wedding tackle."

Simplex3
07-13-2006, 09:29 PM
Make sure you can swim..unlike these unfortunate kids....

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/stlouiscitycounty/story/7D5EEBAA2D1F50CC862571A7004F3711?OpenDocument
Jesus. :shake:

Parents: Teach your kids to swim. If you're afraid yourself then hire someone to.

Simplex3
07-13-2006, 09:36 PM
I really enjoyed the Niobrara up in Valentine, NE. Hell of a float. The river moves ~7mph all by itself so you can float a long damn distance and see a lot of scenery. We did 32 miles a day, two days. There's no danger on the river, so it's appropriate for women and children, too.

Oh, and there's a waterfall the chicks seemed to dig. :shrug:

Smoke
07-13-2006, 10:07 PM
I'm a Gainesvillian originally. I'll go out on a limb and say you're from West Plains?

Moooo

Nope, closer than that. I'm 10 miles north of G'ville. I've got 10 bucks that says I either know you or have heard your name before...LOL

cdcox
07-13-2006, 10:12 PM
Another vote for the Current.

I've done sections of the Merrimack and Niangua too. All more than 20 years ago, so take it with a grain of salt.

Lzen
07-17-2006, 09:56 AM
Rainman, are you serious about your mom? Sometimes it's hard to tell if you're joking. That's really messed up if true.

Lzen
07-17-2006, 10:00 AM
Our canoe float trip was a great time. We didn't end up right around Carthage, though. It was more like a 2 hour drive over by Lebanon (I think). Anyways, the campground that we were in was called Mountain Creek. The trip was a 12 mile ride down the river. We left the campground in a bus a little after 8am, took a 20 minute ride to the start point and didn't get back until 5pm.

I gotta say that it was a blast. There were tons of people and most of them were drinking and having a good time. The water was ice cold when we first got in, but after awhile you don't care anymore. Lot's of beads being handed out, as well. :)

Dartgod
07-17-2006, 10:15 AM
Our canoe float trip was a great time. We didn't end up right around Carthage, though. It was more like a 2 hour drive over by Lebanon (I think). Anyways, the campground that we were in was called Mountain Creek. The trip was a 12 mile ride down the river. We left the campground in a bus a little after 8am, took a 20 minute ride to the start point and didn't get back until 5pm.

I gotta say that it was a blast. There were tons of people and most of them were drinking and having a good time. The water was ice cold when we first got in, but after awhile you don't care anymore. Lot's of beads being handed out, as well. :)
Must have been the Niangua River.

Lzen
07-17-2006, 10:51 AM
Must have been the Niangua River.

Probably was. It was a lot of fun. I'll definitely have to do that again.

StcChief
07-17-2006, 11:10 AM
Another vote for the Current.

I've done sections of the Merrimack and Niangua too. All more than 20 years ago, so take it with a grain of salt.
Current is / was great.

The story here by some folks is go to merimac it's closer .......

My experience on Merimac was ruined when I saw a cow backed up to river edge and proceed to take a dump in the river.
Wondered why the river was so brown/green.

Ultra Peanut
07-17-2006, 01:03 PM
Floating down the Current River about seven years ago was pretty fun, hazy memory notwithstanding.

Relaxing, too, aside from the, "Oh, God, I hope that's not a snake," or "OWW, THAT ROCK JUST RIPPED MY ASS FROM MY BODY!" moments.

But then, I'm a worrier. That's why my friends call me Whiskers.

MOhillbilly
07-17-2006, 01:07 PM
its all good piggy.

http://squeallikeapig.com/images/deliverance.jpg

dollar1
07-17-2006, 03:36 PM
I've done a lot of floats.

- N. Fork of the White. Google "Sun Burst Ranch"-great campsite. Right on the river. Talk to Amy. Canoe 1st day back down to site and tube 2nd day from the site down). Lots of springs to play in, decent "cliff" rapid at the end to watch folks tip over and 2nd day a cool water fall with a room behind it. Good dependable float. Did it last June.

- Jacks Fork. Another good float. Some big cliffs to jump off. Word of CAUTION- there is an ~80' cliff, I slipped at the top, went 3-4' into the water, then hit my back on the cliff rock as it angled out. Another 5" closer to the cliff=broken back. I don't do cliffs anymore :rolleyes:

- Big Piney. Great float if you like to paddle a lot. Should be called a lake. I here good fishing though.

Doing the Upper Current this weekend. Campsite at Pulltite. Using 2 Rivers Rental (talk to Stacy 800-435-5050) The Upper supposedly as less people and faster water. Put in at Ceder Grove, float 19 miles back down to Pulltite. There is cliffs, 2 major springs, an old hospital ruin to explore ie things to do on the river other than drink :p . 2nd day tube down to Round Springs. 6 mile float with a cave at the end to explore.

Basically figure out what are the important issues for the float.

Ours: Campsite on the river (for kids to play in while Adults cook etc). Restrooms with showers available. Decent water that moves and a few rapids, not rain dependant ie spring fed.

We're arriving Thurs (the 2 campsites require reserving sites before hand, 1 month out most were gone. They do have 1st come, 1st serve ~20 sites. If arriving 4:00 pm on Fri, they will all be gone. Thus, arriving Thurs allows us the open sites). Canoing Fri. Not the weekend, so hopefully not many River Dorks. Tubing Sat. Don't care if there are River Dorks.

PM if you need more info.

BTW, good site with message board. Paddling.net

~whew, crawling back under my rock~

DMAC
07-17-2006, 03:51 PM
The Eleven Point...

http://img418.imageshack.us/img418/3647/00825h31aa1.jpg http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/1478/43644952fooevqph1mo0.jpg
http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/6655/sm20hellbender20hababove20stubblefield20f1910011ag7.jpg http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/8687/trailtothecaveatwhitescreek1am4.jpg

Beautiful Boze Mill, aka Booze Mill, aka Blue Hole.
http://img418.imageshack.us/img418/1755/untitledka5.png

GO TO ELEVEN POINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DMAC
07-17-2006, 04:01 PM
GO TO ELEVEN POINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!And go to Richards Canoe Rental. They Rock!!

http://richardscanoerental.com/

chiefs4me
07-17-2006, 04:03 PM
I distinctly remember waking up on the river to MOOOOOOOOO!!!...looking out of my tent, and seeing approx. 8-10 cows crapping where we were swimming the night before.

So, yes, it is that bad.

I have no idea where you were then, because we float that river twice a year, already did it memorial day and going again in august...I have seen maybe one or two cows...:shrug:

DMAC
07-17-2006, 04:06 PM
I have no idea where you were then, because we float that river twice a year, already did it memorial day and going again in august...I have seen maybe one or two cows...:shrug:It was way before Bennett Spring...

It was a 3 day float and the float ended at Bennett Spring, just to give you an idea.

penguinz
07-17-2006, 04:16 PM
http://www.missouricanoe.org/

chiefs4me
07-17-2006, 04:17 PM
It was way before Bennett Spring...

It was a 3 day float and the float ended at Bennett Spring, just to give you an idea.

I have never arrived at Bennett, we always take off from Bennett and float down river, so you could be right, sorry.

penguinz
07-17-2006, 04:25 PM
I've done a lot of floats.

- N. Fork of the White. Google "Sun Burst Ranch"-great campsite. Right on the river. Talk to Amy. Canoe 1st day back down to site and tube 2nd day from the site down). Lots of springs to play in, decent "cliff" rapid at the end to watch folks tip over and 2nd day a cool water fall with a room behind it. Good dependable float. Did it last June.

- Jacks Fork. Another good float. Some big cliffs to jump off. Word of CAUTION- there is an ~80' cliff, I slipped at the top, went 3-4' into the water, then hit my back on the cliff rock as it angled out. Another 5" closer to the cliff=broken back. I don't do cliffs anymore :rolleyes:

- Big Piney. Great float if you like to paddle a lot. Should be called a lake. I here good fishing though.

Doing the Upper Current this weekend. Campsite at Pulltite. Using 2 Rivers Rental (talk to Stacy 800-435-5050) The Upper supposedly as less people and faster water. Put in at Ceder Grove, float 19 miles back down to Pulltite. There is cliffs, 2 major springs, an old hospital ruin to explore ie things to do on the river other than drink :p . 2nd day tube down to Round Springs. 6 mile float with a cave at the end to explore.

Basically figure out what are the important issues for the float.

Ours: Campsite on the river (for kids to play in while Adults cook etc). Restrooms with showers available. Decent water that moves and a few rapids, not rain dependant ie spring fed.

We're arriving Thurs (the 2 campsites require reserving sites before hand, 1 month out most were gone. They do have 1st come, 1st serve ~20 sites. If arriving 4:00 pm on Fri, they will all be gone. Thus, arriving Thurs allows us the open sites). Canoing Fri. Not the weekend, so hopefully not many River Dorks. Tubing Sat. Don't care if there are River Dorks.

PM if you need more info.

BTW, good site with message board. Paddling.net

~whew, crawling back under my rock~
The hospital thing is not much to see. It is blocked off so you can not go into it. If the spring here is flowing hard, which it usually is, then there are usually quite a few people who dump their canoes here since it comes into the river at a 90 degree angle.

before you get to it there is a spring that will be on your right. It is not much but if you go up to where is comes out of the hill you will be at Medlock cave. This cave has Missouri's largest underground lake in it.

Farther down the river ont he left is Cave spring. You can take your canoe back about 30 feet into it. Just watch our for angry beavers. (the animals not tree hugging lesbians)

There are several other caves and springs. If you stay at pulltite there is one just across the river from the campsite you can walk to.

dollar1
07-17-2006, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the info. I did this stretch a long time ago with my Boy Scout Troop. Also we wanted to try a different river.

We're going to do 2 floats a year. Sunburst Ranch on the N Fork of the White will be our one because it's easy (done it a bunch) and campsite is nice ditto for the river.

Dmac- We're planning on the 11 point next year. I might PM you for more details.

~back under rock~

Rain Man
07-17-2006, 05:13 PM
Rainman, are you serious about your mom? Sometimes it's hard to tell if you're joking. That's really messed up if true.

That one is actually true. I kid you not, we never opened a curtain in our house throughout my entire childhood. Ever. I didn't see a window from the inside until I moved out.

Marcellus
07-17-2006, 06:00 PM
Heh, I've been on a few floats on the Elk River myself, I have some friends that live right by it. I don't think it's ever real busy and it's a pretty nice area. Just remember to duck at Low Water Bridge!

I have been canoeing about 30 times on Elk river. Always fun but thistime of year you will be getting out and carrying the canoe across shallow spots in several areas.