PDA

View Full Version : How about a little topographic help....

mikey23545
07-13-2006, 01:41 PM
Say a person was interested in moving to Missouri, and was looking for some mountainous terrain....
I know you have a little of the Ozarks in your state, but is there much in the way of mountains closer to the KC area? It doesn't have to be Everest-like or anything...

mikey23545
07-13-2006, 01:46 PM
Hell, I may be willing to settle for some really impressive hills...

picasso
07-13-2006, 01:47 PM
It's Missouri next to Kansas! Mountains?

Baby Lee
07-13-2006, 01:54 PM
It's Missouri next to Kansas! Mountains?
Is Missouri closer to Kansas than Colorado is? :p

J Diddy
07-13-2006, 01:55 PM

Then I suggest the ozarks or getting a backhoe and building your own.

grandllamajr
07-13-2006, 01:59 PM
Well I know this isnt helping much excelsior springs is a vally and its about 30 miles ne af kc

chagrin
07-13-2006, 02:03 PM

Jenny Gump perhaps... :shrug:

Iowanian
07-13-2006, 02:10 PM
Here is a relief map...

To simplify, The browner, the bigger the hills.
http://fermi.jhuapl.edu/states/maps1/mo.gif

Nightwish
07-13-2006, 02:10 PM
Say a person was interested in moving to Missouri, and was looking for some mountainous terrain....
I know you have a little of the Ozarks in your state, but is there much in the way of mountains closer to the KC area? It doesn't have to be Everest-like or anything...
The closest you're going to come to actual mountains is going to be in the Ozarks, especially in the Springfield/Branson area. In second place would be the fairly impressive, but easily navigable hills formed by the eastern reaches of the Ozark Mountain Range and the Mississippi River Valley, south of St. Louis, in Jefferson, St. Francois and Ste. Genevieve counties. After that, south central Missouri, around West Plains, Willow Springs and Cabool, is nearly mountainous in spots. In fourth place would a triangle formed by St. Joseph northwest of Kansas City, Excelsior Springs northeast of Kansas City, and Smithville, just north of KC. That's the closest fairly hilly area to KC, I think, but it's not nearly as impressive as the Branson area. Beyond those four areas, though, its all fairly flat, as most of Missouri is Great Plains area.

Iowanian
07-13-2006, 02:16 PM
Wecome to Branson. Hopefully you're skilled on the Banjo, magician watching, or some buckskinner trade skills.....and can afford a big boat that won't get swamped on the lake.

Nightwish
07-13-2006, 02:20 PM
Wecome to Branson. Hopefully you're skilled on the Banjo, magician watching, or some buckskinner trade skills.....and can afford a big boat that won't get swamped on the lake.
I don't think I'd want to work at SDC or anywhere along the strip. Even with the new bypasses, traffic is still a pain in the arse.

tyton75
07-13-2006, 02:48 PM
What about Weston.. they have a ski slope and everything :)

mikey23545
07-13-2006, 03:17 PM
Hey, thanks for those who have helped...And for all the smart ass replies, thanks for upholding the tradition of the Planet. ROFL

JimNasium
07-13-2006, 03:21 PM
Springfield is situated on a plateau so if you were looking to live in Deliveranceville you’d need to focus on Southern Christian County, Taney County, etc.

bogie
07-13-2006, 03:35 PM
Then I suggest the ozarks or getting a backhoe and building your own.

When White Water was built in Branson, the head of construction said "only Silver Dollar City will buy the flattest land in Branson and build a mountain on"

BucEyedPea
07-13-2006, 04:32 PM

Ozarks ain't REAL mountains...daze big hills...bin thar meself.
Yee Haw!

bogie
07-13-2006, 05:02 PM
Yee Haw!

not "daze big hills" it's "theyz big hills". not "bin thar meself" it's "bin thar maself"

JimNasium
07-13-2006, 05:06 PM
Yee Haw!
We are actually becoming quite metropolitan in our little oasis in the Ozarks.

bogie
07-13-2006, 05:08 PM

They are an oasis. I miss home terribly!

BucEyedPea
07-13-2006, 05:11 PM
not "daze big hills" it's "theyz big hills". not "bin thar meself" it's "bin thar maself"

Is that so? Bin a awhile.
Still, I had to laugh at calling a "creek" a "crik"...and a "roof" a "ruff."
It was very pretty though. Bull Shoals Lake was very nice to swim in.

BucEyedPea
07-13-2006, 05:12 PM
Well I was able to buy maself a wooden hill-billy statue. Yep! I guess that's movin' toward cosmopolitan. :)

ChiefsCountry
07-13-2006, 05:15 PM
Lake of the Ozarks area is really hilly.

bogie
07-13-2006, 05:18 PM
Well I was able to buy maself a wooden hill-billy statue. Yep! I guess that's movin' toward cosmopolitan. :)

Did you really buy a carved hillbilly statue?

BucEyedPea
07-13-2006, 05:21 PM
Did you really buy a carved hillbilly statue?

Yes, I actually did. I wanted sumthun reprasendatif of de' area! LOL!
I tell folks that thare thing is an authentic hillbilly piece o' carved aht!

bogie
07-13-2006, 05:25 PM
You ever had moonshine? That's representative of the hill folks I used to hang out with.

BucEyedPea
07-13-2006, 05:31 PM
Never had moonshine. But that would've been cool.

BigOlChiefsfan
07-13-2006, 07:17 PM
I won't vouch for the moonshine anymore, but a surprising number of the Ozark folks that I went to school with 35 years ago are in jail for running meth labs out there in the weeds. Good luck to 'em, Jefferson City isn't a prison I'd want to see from the inside.

Just north of KC there are some interesting loess hills near Weston and Parkville. Loess hills were formed by the dust that blew off the glaciers thousands of years ago. Makes for some attractive hills, and twisty roads. Long story short, when I miss the Ozarks I drive over to Parma Woods rifle range near Weston. Pretend I'm a-shootin' revenuers.

Nightwish
07-14-2006, 11:23 AM
Yee Haw!
They're the oldest mountain range in the United States, actually, but they've eroded into glorified hills, for the most part, as opposed to really young mountain ranges, like the Rockies, which are still very tall. Incidentally, do you know the derivation of the word "Ozarks?" It comes from the French phrase "Aux Arcs," meaning "in the hills," which with the "x" in "aux" being pronounced with the liaison, is pronounced "ozarks."

Braincase
07-14-2006, 11:27 AM
I guess I'd like to ask for what purpose? Some of the best mountain biking trails in the country can be found in Missouri, and St. Louis hosted the national championships... but I can't recall what year.