PDA

View Full Version : Why is HBO able to make such good TV when networks so often suck ass?

jAZ
07-13-2006, 10:59 PM
The shows aren't good because there is swearing or BN. Entorage IMO could be produced in a way to make it work network TV and it would still be very good.

Bowser
07-13-2006, 11:00 PM
Because they get use of the word "cocks@cker".

Moooo
07-13-2006, 11:02 PM
My guess is cause 30 minutes isn't 20 minutes. No commercials allows for further storyline development.

Which is also why the theme on regular TV is the one-hour show.

Moooo

Nzoner
07-13-2006, 11:04 PM
I can't speak for other network shows(because I don't watch any)but over the years I've seen some damn good Law & Orders and Law & Order SVU.

tk13
07-13-2006, 11:06 PM
My guess is cause 30 minutes isn't 20 minutes. No commercials allows for further storyline development.

Moooo
That's a good point. It's ridiculous how short programs are now. I know "The Office" has a run time of 20:30. They leave a lot of good stuff on the floor because of it too.

pr_capone
My favorite show is on, of all networks, Fox.

House is an extremely well done show with a quality cast. 1 hour long = 43 or so minutes of actual show.

Miles
Different target audience. Networks try and reach the largest audience possible and they also like to mess with shows when they start geting popular.

FX is somewhat doing the same as HBO by making shows targeted strictly for adults.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-13-2006, 11:08 PM
I can't speak for other network shows(because I don't watch any)but over the years I've seen some damn good Law & Orders and Law & Order SVU.

One of the best shows on TV

Mr. Flopnuts
07-13-2006, 11:08 PM

Moooo

This is true.

keg in kc
07-13-2006, 11:22 PM
Entourage would not be the same without the language or the sex, I don't think.

And HBO's best show, The Wire, wouldn't be what it is, either. It lends a reality to the show that network series can't match. It isn't a surprise that most of the better shows on network TV are the one's on later. The shows that push the envelope in terms of what they show and say.

Personally, I like reality better (and no, I don't mean "Survivor"). I'm the kind of person who would rather watch Deadwood than Bonanza, because it's more believable to me. The world is not full of bland people who speak with perfectly clean language and sleep in separate beds, and I hope to f*cking christ it never is.

Miles
07-13-2006, 11:32 PM
Entourage would not be the same without the language or the sex, I don't think.

And HBO's best show, The Wire, wouldn't be what it is, either. It lends a reality to the show that network series can't match. It isn't a surprise that most of the better shows on network TV are the one's on later. The shows that push the envelope in terms of what they show and say.

Personally, I like reality better (and no, I don't mean "Survivor"). I'm the kind of person who would rather watch Deadwood than Bonanza, because it's more believable to me. The world is not full of bland people who speak with perfectly clean language and sleep in separate beds, and I hope to f*cking christ it never is.

Something like the Wire would never work on a network. Even if it was somehow the same without the language, sex and violence it is defintly too sophisticated to survive on a network.

jAZ
07-14-2006, 12:03 AM
I've been watching the Big Love marathon tonight. It's certainly an entire show that I don't think could ever make it on network, even though it's basically a family drama with a twist.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-14-2006, 12:05 AM
I've been watching the Big Love marathon tonight. It's certainly an entire show that I don't think could ever make it on network, even though it's basically a family drama with a twist.

I watched almost the entire 1st season this year on HBO. I don't think it's a family drama at all. Don't get me wrong, it's not over the top in my books, but no way do all the right wing Christian nut jobs in this country get behind that show.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-14-2006, 12:06 AM
I think HBO TV is better because it is adult oriented. HBO realizes that American television is not just for sitting down with the kids everynight like it was 20 years ago.

keg in kc
07-14-2006, 12:08 AM
Big Love surprised me. I didn't think it would be a show I'd get into but by season's end I turned on HBO on Sunday nights for that, rather than the (steadily declining) Sopranos.

I've heard that the Brotherhood on Showtime's supposed to be good, but I haven't watched past the first couple of minutes yet.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-14-2006, 12:11 AM
Big Love surprised me. I didn't think it would be a show I'd get into but by season's end I turned on HBO on Sunday nights for that, rather than the (steadily declining) Sopranos.

Identical. That show got a great time slot and prospered because of it.

Miles
07-14-2006, 12:13 AM

I've heard that the Brotherhood on Showtime's supposed to be good, but I haven't watched past the first couple of minutes yet.

Same thing happend with me for Big Love. I didnt think I would be interested and it ended up being better than a highly disappointing season of Sopranos.

If you have HBO on Demand you may check out Epitifios. Its pretty damn good and easily up there with the best of HBO shows.

I watched the first episode of Brotherhood. Seems promising.

keg in kc
07-14-2006, 12:14 AM
I think HBO TV is better because it is adult oriented. HBO realizes that American television is not just for sitting down with the kids everynight like it was 20 years ago.There can be good shows for families to watch, too, that regular viewers can get into. Although we're talking a lot about it, it's not the language or the sex or the violence that makes these HBO shows good, so much as it's the writing, acting, directing and production. With those shows, however, the adult elements are integral, and the shows wouldn't be the same without them. They're not a crutch or a failure to communicate (like some people say cursing is a sign of ignorance :shake: ), just part of what makes the shows what they are.

At the same time, that's why I love a show like Battlestar Galactica. It doesn't have anything stronger than "frak" and all nudity is implied, but it's still an amazing show. But not a show that would make it on network TV, because it's genre, because it's too dark and because it sometimes has too strong a take on society and what's in the news.

The problem with network TV is that too many people will tune into something like American Idol or Survivor, and the really gripping, quality dramatic stuff either can't get on the air in the first place, or doesn't survive a season. I'm (pleasantly) surprised that shows like Veronica Mars and Supernatural can make it at all. It's good for them there's an alternative to the big 3 (or 4) in CW.

keg in kc
07-14-2006, 12:15 AM
If you have HBO on Demand you may check out Epitifios. Its pretty damn good and easily up there with the best of HBO shows. I caught Epitafios last fall on demand. Really good show, for those of you who can deal with subtitles.

jAZ
07-14-2006, 12:18 AM
I watched almost the entire 1st season this year on HBO. I don't think it's a family drama at all. Don't get me wrong, it's not over the top in my books, but no way do all the right wing Christian nut jobs in this country get behind that show.
That's my point. It's a "family drama" with a twist that (as you say) would never be supported by Christians or Mormons, etc... which is why it could never survive on network TV.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-14-2006, 12:21 AM
That's my point. It's a "family drama" with a twist that (as you say) would never be supported by Christians or Mormons, etc... which is why it could never survive on network TV.

I reread your post and saw the "never be supported by network tv" part. I guess I was just generalizing why. My bad.

Otter
07-14-2006, 01:52 AM
I would imagine HBO has a much bigger budget that your average network which would allow them to hire and retain good writers and directors.

On top of that they don't have to worry about the FCC breathing down their neck nearly as much as "public" television networks.

Those would be the two biggest factors IMHO.

StcChief
07-14-2006, 07:34 AM
No commerical time...Production costs are greater (for most part) so quality is likely higher.
Also some could not be shown on network TV...

Sapranos
Deadwood

others.

DaKCMan AP
07-14-2006, 07:40 AM
no commercials + swearing + nudity = success

KC Jones
07-14-2006, 07:46 AM
I think HBO TV is better because it is adult oriented. HBO realizes that American television is not just for sitting down with the kids everynight like it was 20 years ago.

... and yet, there is almost nothing on TV at night I can watch with the kids in the room.

chagrin
07-14-2006, 07:49 AM
... and yet, there is almost nothing on TV at night I can watch with the kids in the room.

Careful, you'll be called out as a right wing christian nut job for wanting to watch something with your kids

DaKCMan AP
07-14-2006, 07:51 AM

RWCNJ....you and your kind don't like watching anything with your kids.

:p