PDA

View Full Version : Going to court today... and I have a question.

Moooo
07-14-2006, 07:10 AM
Okay, so I got into a fender bender about a month ago. I was cited for causing an accident (which I ran into the back of him, so there's not much defending this).

In springfield, you have to actually attend court if this happens, you can't just pay it out of court. My question is that the officer said sometimes the Judge will throw out all the costs associated with the ticket for one reason or another. What is the best stratedgy for getting out of this with the least amount of pocketbook damage?

Any advice would be appreciated...

Moooo

DaKCMan AP
07-14-2006, 07:13 AM
When addressing the judge, call him Nancy.

StcChief
07-14-2006, 07:18 AM
Likely only way out if the Cop doesn't show up.

Moooo
07-14-2006, 07:21 AM
Likely only way out if the Cop doesn't show up.

He was the one who told me sometimes they will just not charge you anything.

I don't care if I'm found guilty, I just want to make the penalty as small as possible...

Moooo

MOhillbilly
07-14-2006, 07:24 AM
was your ticket for following to close/failure to yield?

is this your actual trial date or your prelim?

any way if its your actual date to stand tall before the man and your guilty, dress nice and be respectful and plead guilty if you dont have representation.

If its your prelim request a pretrial conf. w/ the pros.(for a plea agreement they may like you and help you out).
If not stand tall be respectful, plead guilty and take it like a man.

Or run,and dont go to court.

StcChief
07-14-2006, 07:25 AM
He was the one who told me sometimes they will just not charge you anything.

I don't care if I'm found guilty, I just want to make the penalty as small as possible...

MooooTraffic courts work different depending on locality.

the long term effect is the points on your licence and insurance rate increase for 3 years.

Lawyer may get it dropped...But it's too late for that now since today is the day.

Public defender? Go early or call and see if you can pospone continue it
to talke with a lawyer

Moooo
07-14-2006, 07:25 AM
was you ticket for following to close/failure to yield?

is this your actual trial date or your prelim?

"Causing an Accident," A city ordinance.

And this is the day on the ticket.

Moooo

KCfaninOK
07-14-2006, 07:27 AM
I did the same thing about a month ago. The highway patrolman who worked the accident told me not to pay the ticket, i should go to court and if the lady that i hit didnt show up that it would be dropped. Dont know if its the same laws where your from though. I live in Oklahoma.

I went ahead and payed the ticket a week ago, couldnt get off work to make the court date.

chagrin
07-14-2006, 07:28 AM
Start yelling out "come witness the violence inherant in the system! Help Help, I'm being repressed!" and they will think you have tourette's syndrome

MOhillbilly
07-14-2006, 07:28 AM
"Causing an Accident," A city ordinance.

And this is the day on the ticket.

Moooo

plead not guilty and retain a lawyer or atleast go talk to one.

you can always plead before the actual trial.

Iowanian
07-14-2006, 07:29 AM
I think you should shout "There is no judge but Allah! ALLAH AKBAAAAAAAAAAAR"

As you're saying this, you're simultatiously sticking your hands into your pants and pulling furiously at your uh rip chord.

Iowanian
07-14-2006, 07:30 AM
If you don't think that is a good Idea, stay in character. Get all goat-boy on his ass.

"Your honor mooooooooo, I'd like to mooooooooo say that Mooooooooooooo while I'm a terrible driver mooooooooooooooo and I shouldn't have been talking on the phone and driving moooooooooooooo, you mooooooooooo should cut me some slack mooooooooooo.

sedated
07-14-2006, 07:32 AM
show up in a fur coat.

I hear judges like that.

shows respect for the system

Bugeater
07-14-2006, 08:01 AM
I don't know about where you live, but here in Omaha you can take a traffic school class to have a minor ticket dismissed. Although the goat-boy strategy isn't bad either.

Fire Me Boy!
07-14-2006, 08:11 AM
Start yelling out "come witness the violence inherant in the system! Help Help, I'm being repressed!" and they will think you have tourette's syndrome
I say, slam your hands on the table repeatedly screaming "Attica! Attica!"

Or you could always try, "Alpaca! "Alpaca!" :p

alanm
07-14-2006, 08:24 AM
I don't know about where you live, but here in Omaha you can take a traffic school class to have a minor ticket dismissed. Although the goat-boy strategy isn't bad either.
Depending on how many traffic tickets you accumulate I believe you can only do that once every 2 yrs or so.

ck_IN
07-14-2006, 08:26 AM
You're screwed. When they fit you for the orange prison clothes ask if they have matching pumps.

Also be sure and establish your prison yard cred by going to the largest detainee and tell him how you violated his mother. It will ensure his respect and your authoritah.

Moooo
07-14-2006, 09:19 AM
I am now scheduled for a "pre-trial hearing." But that's cool. I'm fine with that. I learned a lot today too. I thought there was going to be someone there that at least told you what to do kinda, but there isn't. You're only appointed a lawyer if its a criminal case. I'm going to assume its the same for the pre-trial too, so I'm gonna call some people and maybe read up on the internet as to what the best path would be in order to get this taken care of. Also, court costs don't go up any more in order to get a pre-trial hearing, so if you can, do it.

And it also made me feel better to know that I'm not the only one that's totally f'n clueless about how our legal system works. :)

Moooo

luv
07-14-2006, 10:10 AM
I got into a fender bender like that myself. All I did was give him my insurance information, and he made a claim. It was taken care of. Was it pretty bad or something?

Moooo
07-14-2006, 10:12 AM
I got into a fender bender like that myself. All I did was give him my insurance information, and he made a claim. It was taken care of. Was it pretty bad or something?

No. We both drove away, but the guy freaked out and was like "Oh god, call the cops!"

It doesn't bother me, but seriously the only thing it did was tear his plastic bumper.

Moooo

StcChief
07-14-2006, 10:21 AM
No. We both drove away, but the guy freaked out and was like "Oh god, call the cops!"

It doesn't bother me, but seriously the only thing it did was tear his plastic bumper.

Moooo
Some folks are so Anal about their cars.
Insurance claim should have done it.

Well hope he is at fault for same kinda accident later in life,

funny how some can't walk in someone elses shoes.

ck_IN
07-14-2006, 10:24 AM
Don't be so hard on the other guy. I've gotten hit twice. The first time the woman had no insurance but tried to give me a bogus company as her insurer. The second time the woman had let her coverage lapse but tried to feed me her expired policy number. Luckily I called the cops on both occasions and let things run their course.

luv
07-14-2006, 10:24 AM

Moooo
Pretty cowardly to call after the fact, IMO.

Moooo
07-14-2006, 10:37 AM
Don't be so hard on the other guy. I've gotten hit twice. The first time the woman had no insurance but tried to give me a bogus company as her insurer. The second time the woman had let her coverage lapse but tried to feed me her expired policy number. Luckily I called the cops on both occasions and let things run their course.

THat's why I said I was cool with it. Someone hit my car the other day and it scuffed the paint. They freaked out and I looked at them (after seeing their car had no damage), and said, "This car sucks so bad, I'd feel bad putting a claim on it."

A always joke with my friends and tell them if they hit it I won't file a claim, but they owe me a beer (even trade).

Moooo

Megbert
07-14-2006, 11:38 AM
I was involved in a minor fender bender back in Oct. 4 cars were involved 1 that caused the accident and 3 that were part of said fender bender.

On the car I 'hit' I scraped the vinyl Pittsburgh Steelers tire cover and bent his tail pipe. Thats it. The only thing to happen to my car was it the tire cover cleaned the dust off of my hood. The car he it there was a little square bump on the rear bumper.

The guy I hit and I would have just settled it by me paying him a couple hundred bucks and calling it even. But the person in the first car was in a rental so they had to call the cops.

So I get a ticket for tapping someones bumper. I got to take an online traffic course. I will do the traffic school next time. The pages were timed on the online course so you couldn't just click through them. Then I had to go to Kinkos to take the actual test.

MOhillbilly
07-14-2006, 11:46 AM
you should have cut a deal then and there. Your court costs will go up if you dont strike a suitable deal in the pre trial.

im no lawyer but ive been to kiddy court a few times.

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-14-2006, 11:52 AM
You should call in a bomb threat to that police officers house 15 minutes before court begins, that way he'll be tending to that and not show up at court. Gochiefs will let you borrow his phone.

tyton75
07-14-2006, 02:28 PM
Just bring a Swedish made Penispump to the Judge at the trial... apparently they use those all the time :)