PDA

View Full Version : Dish Network Vs. Direct TV

Deberg_1990
07-16-2006, 12:23 PM
Ive had Direct TV for about 4 years now, but im thinking about switching to cable or of course Dish Network. Although, id love to have the Sunday Ticket, i wont be ordering it this year, the price has just gotten way to high for my taste. Looking at both websites, Dish Network clearly has more HD channels than Direct TV. Should i make the switch?? Anyone here have Dish??

dj56dt58
07-16-2006, 12:33 PM
I have dish and i'd reccomend it. It goes out every now and then but it's never out for very long, unlike with cable.

Nzoner
07-16-2006, 12:35 PM
Ive had Direct TV for about 4 years now, but im thinking about switching to cable or of course Dish Network. Although, id love to have the Sunday Ticket, i wont be ordering it this year, the price has just gotten way to high for my taste. Looking at both websites, Dish Network clearly has more HD channels than Direct TV. Should i make the switch?? Anyone here have Dish??

Even without Sunday Ticket you still get the NFL Network and starting Thanksgiving there's a game there every Thursday night.

Problem solved.

Deberg_1990
07-16-2006, 12:36 PM
I have dish and i'd reccomend it. It goes out every now and then but it's never out for very long, unlike with cable.

Oh i love satellite. Much better than cable overall. My Direct dish goes out only during the really bad thunderstorms. Other than that, it never goes out. Do you have any Dish HD channels?? They have alot more variety than Direct has.

Deberg_1990
07-16-2006, 12:37 PM
Even without Sunday Ticket you still get the NFL Network and starting Thanksgiving there's a game there every Thursday night.

Problem solved.

True, Dish Network has NFL Network HD unlike Direct TV. Hmmmmm

ChiefsFire
07-16-2006, 12:50 PM
Dish is out alot less than cable down in my neck of the woods....much better picture quality and better selection

ChiefsCountry
07-16-2006, 01:18 PM
Personally I like DirectTV better than Dish. The one plus side is Dish is cheper.

Deberg_1990
07-16-2006, 01:19 PM
Personally I like DirectTV better than Dish. The one plus side is Dish is cheper.

What do u like better about Direct TV than Dish?

Bugeater
07-16-2006, 01:20 PM
Aren't they basically the same thing? I thought DirecTv bought out Dish Network a while back.

dj56dt58
07-16-2006, 01:41 PM
Oh i love satellite. Much better than cable overall. My Direct dish goes out only during the really bad thunderstorms. Other than that, it never goes out. Do you have any Dish HD channels?? They have alot more variety than Direct has.
just the hd local channels. I've never had direct tv but someone i know has and they said it goes out like everyday. dish seems to be the better choice from everything i've heard

meStevo
07-16-2006, 03:55 PM
just the hd local channels. I've never had direct tv but someone i know has and they said it goes out like everyday. dish seems to be the better choice from everything i've heard

DirecTV doesn't go out, bad hardware or a misaligned dish does. Used to do tech support for DirecTV, we had people calling thanking us that they went through 3 consecutive hurricanes and their dish never went out a couple years ago in Florida.

Generally the only outages you should expect with either dish are very intense rainstorms, and even then its before/after them, when they're not over you, but south of you when there is the most moisture/rain between you and the sat.

Cable can flat out go out, due to a cut or something somewhere. With Sat if there is a programming outtage you still have everything else in theory, and its not you/a neighborhood, its the entire country/region that is out.

Moooo
07-16-2006, 04:08 PM
My cable has never gone out in a year and a half, and I get OnDemand...which I like, cause I don't wanna have to remember to tivo stuff (I forget that sort of stuff).

I'm not saying I wouldn't get satellite, but I can't being on the north side of an apartment. Nonetheless, just thought SOMEONE should say something good about cable (cause I'm happy with mine).

Moooo

BigVE
07-16-2006, 06:17 PM
In my area Dishnetwork is the only way to go. Best picture and best price for the number of channels you get. Ive only had one problem with my dish in 2 years and that was because of a close lightning strike frying some hardware.

SLAG
07-16-2006, 06:26 PM
Ive had Dish network but currently have time warner due to the deal they wanted to give me for switching from SBC everything to time warner Everything

since we will need to cut costs again i will call dish network back up and see if they can cut me a deal

whoaskew
07-16-2006, 07:13 PM
Does Dish now offer a dual-tuner DVR?

If not, then I'll keep my DTV.

SLAG
07-16-2006, 07:16 PM
Does Dish now offer a dual-tuner DVR?

If not, then I'll keep my DTV.

Yes they have for quite some time... a pretty good one

here is the one I am interested in

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/programming/dishhd/receivers/vip622dvr/index.shtml

meStevo
07-16-2006, 07:21 PM
I'm on the north side of an apartment building myself, so we've been suck with Cox cable. I'm pretty close to giving their HDDVR back, and buying a dual tuner standalone TiVo.

JBucc
07-16-2006, 07:24 PM
I just have cable but I knew someone who had Dish and thdy didn't like it. They switched back after their contract was up. I guess it's all the same though.

whoaskew
07-16-2006, 09:42 PM
Yes they have for quite some time... a pretty good one

here is the one I am interested in

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/programming/dishhd/receivers/vip622dvr/index.shtml

That sounds like a nice machine.

With my Directivo I used to record 2 NFL games on my Sunday ticket that were playing live on different channels. At the same time my girlfriend would watch a third program (her soap operas) that she recorded from the week before (of course this only happened if the Chiefs played Sunday night, Monday night, or in the case of last years Dolphins game Friday night). I would do all of this with one TV.

Can you do this with the Dish DVR? or, do you have to have two TV's (or PIP) to enable the dual-tuner option?

grandllama
07-16-2006, 10:09 PM
had both, they both suck. only thing that tips towards DTV is that if you live outside the KC area, you can get Sunday Ticket. Otherwise, the three options (DTV, DISH, Cable) are all the axis of evil. You'll get ****ed whichever you sign up for.

SLAG
07-16-2006, 10:12 PM
I'm thinking about getting a Standalone HD receiver and maybe one of those GoVideo Network DVD player or something similar that i can stream my media from my PC to the TV

kcxiv
07-16-2006, 10:15 PM
Living in Cali the only way to go is DTV for the Sunday Ticket.

Its either get sunday ticket or watch the Niners or Raiders play every week.

SLAG
07-16-2006, 10:16 PM
Living in Cali the only way to go is DTV for the Sunday Ticket.

Its either get sunday ticket or watch the Niners or Raiders play every week.

I would shoot myself

kcxiv
07-16-2006, 10:19 PM
I would shoot myselfWell i have had Sunday Ticket for 6 years now going on 7 i think. Sunday Ticket is the best ever.

SLAG
07-16-2006, 10:21 PM
Well i have had Sunday Ticket for 6 years now going on 7 i think. Sunday Ticket is the best ever.

Carl would still say that you are not a true fan....

:hmmm:

:p

jlscorpio
07-17-2006, 04:14 PM
i signed up for it today (Sunday Ticket) Total Choice plus free while you pay for the ticket. Good deal IMO. Gotta see the Chiefs EVERY week. Stuck with Viqueens and Donks games where I'm at. I've accepted reality that I must have the ticket 4 ever...

Chan93lx50
07-17-2006, 04:20 PM
Too bad Sunday ticket could not be picked up by another provider. They are running a monopoly having that service.

KC_John
07-17-2006, 04:25 PM
Never had Dish personally, bu tI have DirecTV and love it. My parents just dropped the DISH to goto DirecTV cuz they said it was always going out. But I couldnt make that claim, just passing on what they told me!

WARPARTY70
07-17-2006, 05:12 PM
Does Direct tv carry the NFL Network?

Moooo
07-17-2006, 05:13 PM
Does Direct tv carry the NFL Network?

Both do...

Moooo

WARPARTY70
07-17-2006, 05:24 PM
Both do...

Moooo
Thanks Moo I've been thinking of switching to Direct tv from the Dish500

They are offering 4 months of free premium movies channels with 149.00 Sunday Ticket Special

KChiefs1
07-17-2006, 06:10 PM
I got a call from Embarq/Sprint about combining everything into one & they told me that they don't have the capacity to get local channels in HD yet. Directv uses that along with the Sunday Ticket as their selling point over DishNetwork.

ExtremeChief
07-17-2006, 06:18 PM
As a former dish installer the only reason either dish or direct tv should go out would be from faulty equipment or a misaligned dish. I've had both and have Dish Net now just because, at the time, it was cheaper.

Someone mentioned that Dish Network (Echostar) tried to buy DirectTV, but it was shot down by the govment.

Dish has more HD channels, DTV has Sunday Ticket... it's really just a matter of preference.

Boyceofsummer
07-17-2006, 06:52 PM
claims to include local network channels. True??????????????/

ExtremeChief
07-17-2006, 07:42 PM
claims to include local network channels. True??????????????/

You can get local network channels..... from an over the air antenna. I get KC channels, but that's because I live in hell, and there are no networks available to me with an antenna.

cdcox
07-17-2006, 08:13 PM

This is like saying:

"I am trying to decide between having a glass of water or a glass of beer. The beer is great and everything, but I've decided that if I get that I'm not going to drink it. Which would you pick?"

Sorry, I really don't have any meaningful advice to offer you.

donkhater
07-17-2006, 08:20 PM
Hey Extreme Chief,

I have directTV and currently my picture has frozen now and then for a couple seconds and I have some pixelization off and on. this is happening even on crystal clear days and my signal strength is in the 90's. Any suggestions on what it may be? The dish and reciever are about 7 years old.

ExtremeChief
07-17-2006, 08:46 PM
Hey Extreme Chief,

I have directTV and currently my picture has frozen now and then for a couple seconds and I have some pixelization off and on. this is happening even on crystal clear days and my signal strength is in the 90's. Any suggestions on what it may be? The dish and reciever are about 7 years old.

Pretty odd. If it was a cable or LNB problem, it shouldn't show a high signal strength like that. Does it occur on certain stations or is it random??

Big Dick Jones
07-17-2006, 09:25 PM
Hey Extreme Chief,

How many receivers do you have? Is it doing that on all receivers? With a system that old, it could be anything. If it is doing it on both receivers, it is probably the LNB since that is all the two receivers have in common. If only one receiver acting up, it could be several things. 1. One side of the LNB went bad. Switch the wires at the LNB to see if the problem goes to the other TV. 2. Loose or corroded fitting somewhere between the dish and receiver. 3. Receiver going bad. That's not an RCA 420 that is acting up is it? Those were notorious for just what you are describing. If you suspect the receiver, swap it with the other one and see if the trouble follows the receiver. If none of this works, get back to me.

SLAG
07-17-2006, 09:34 PM
How many receivers do you have? Is it doing that on all receivers? With a system that old, it could be anything. If it is doing it on both receivers, it is probably the LNB since that is all the two receivers have in common. If only one receiver acting up, it could be several things. 1. One side of the LNB went bad. Switch the wires at the LNB to see if the problem goes to the other TV. 2. Loose or corroded fitting somewhere between the dish and receiver. 3. Receiver going bad. That's not an RCA 420 that is acting up is it? Those were notorious for just what you are describing. If you suspect the receiver, swap it with the other one and see if the trouble follows the receiver. If none of this works, get back to me.

Hey there Flash in the Pan

Big Dick Jones
07-17-2006, 09:42 PM
Hey there Flash in the Pan
Shut up, n00b.

SLAG
07-17-2006, 09:46 PM
Shut up, n00b.
:LOL:

ROFL ROFL

donkhater
07-19-2006, 07:09 AM
I only have one receiver (Hughes) and the problem happens on every station. Since I haven't moved my televison in a year or so and this has only occured recently, I figured it was just a loose or corroded fitting. I made sure all the fittings were tight and they were. I went out and got and better co-axial cable to put between the dish and cable in-box. Perhaps that it is damaged or corroded as you've said. That would make sense. If that doesn't work, I gotta believe it is the receiver or the access card that is the problem.

I'm going to wait until this weekend to climb up on the roof to change the cable. It's too damn hot to be crawling around on an asphalt shingle roof.