PDA

View Full Version : Royals fans should be ticked/Why St Louis is better

Ralphy Boy
07-20-2006, 04:27 PM
link (http://www.forbes.com/lists/2006/33/Value_1.html)
link # 2 (http://www.forbes.com/2006/04/17/06mlb_baseball-team-valuations-cx_mo_0420sports.html)

I'm sure someone has already posted this, but I don't care to hunt around for it.
According to the above articles, your team is the 25th most valuable team in baseball and your owner made $20.8 million in 2005 while the Cardinals are the 7th most valuable and made $7.9 million in NOI. So your owner (bringing in revenue of $117 million) made more than the owners of the Cardinals (bringing in revenue of $165 million) while fielding a far lesser product.

Even though I hate the Yankees, they are worth over a billion and lost $50 million in 2005, you have to admire their willingness to spend to win. You can hate Steinbrenner all you want, but he pays to win...unlike Glass the cheapass.

CoMoChief
07-20-2006, 04:35 PM
Yep, and Glass during this past offseason was even quoted in the KC Star saying, "Hey we made $20M in profit this season". I mean really does anyone here or in the KC metro area really give a shit or not whether the Royals make profit or not? It's not like he's gonna spend any of that on the team. That money goes straight to Glass's pocket as he sits back in his home in Bentonville and bloats about how good of a businessman he is.

We just need to face the fact that we have an owner that doesnt give two shits about winning or I could even say the damn sport of baseball for that matter.

I just say this, if people are so disgusted with David Glass and the way he's handled this team the past decade or so then dont spend any of your money on the team, dont go to the games, dont buy merchandise, etc. I havent gone to one game this season and its not because I'm a bandwagon fan because I'm not, I love the Royals and will always be a fan and I root for them on TV etc., I just refuse to give David Glass any of my money until the team starts going in the direction of being competitive. I'm not expecting to win the WS anytime soon but god damn we at least need to be competitive and at least be in the playoff hunt consistantly.

DJay23
07-20-2006, 04:42 PM
You must understand that Royals fans know this, and Royals fans are pissed.

KChiefs1
07-20-2006, 04:47 PM
tell me something I didn't know...

CHENZ A!
07-20-2006, 05:14 PM
Why would you admire "spending to win"? The game should be about scouting, coaching, making good personnel decisions(trades and FA), not just opening your wallet or making less of a profit or losing money. :shake:

tk13
07-20-2006, 05:33 PM
Yeah, but what that doesn't say is that Glass had lost 25-30 million dollars in the years previous to that. People are just ignorant. The Royals don't draw decent crowds at all, you can't even find Royals merchandise at some KC area stores, yet people think Glass is raking in all this money. Brilliant logic there.

Plus, last year we tried to go with a younger lineup, which caused a lower playroll. Well instead of hanging with it, Glass freaked because people got on him about turning a profit. He should've gave those people a big middle finger instead of going out and spending a bunch of money on old vets. Now those same idiots are complaining because we're "old". That'll probably be the best thing about hiring Dayton Moore, he'll tell everybody to screw off, we're doing it my way now. That's what this organization needs.

I think Glass made some massive mistakes in how he runs the team, but I don't believe for a second he's swimming in cash from owning the Royals. This isn't rocket science. People are just stupid and don't look beyond the surface. That's the moral of the story.

Ralphy Boy
07-20-2006, 08:18 PM
Why would you admire "spending to win"? The game should be about scouting, coaching, making good personnel decisions(trades and FA), not just opening your wallet or making less of a profit or losing money. :shake:

Because fans pay to see a winner on the field, they don't pay for "scouting, coaching, making good personnel decisions".

I admire owners of athletic teams that WANT to win.

People like your previous owner.

People are just ignorant.
No, people like me are just mean and like to stir shit up. I fully realize that Glass has lost a few dollars over the years, but make no mistake about it, the man isn't hurting. The Royals took in a fair amount of revenue last year, yet didn't win crap and you still follow them like moth to a flame.

CHENZ A!
07-20-2006, 09:19 PM
Because fans pay to see a winner on the field, they don't pay for "scouting, coaching, making good personnel decisions".

I admire owners of athletic teams that WANT to win.

People like your previous owner.

No, people like me are just mean and like to stir shit up. I fully realize that Glass has lost a few dollars over the years, but make no mistake about it, the man isn't hurting. The Royals took in a fair amount of revenue last year, yet didn't win crap and you still follow them like moth to a flame.

If you believe this, then just root for whoever spends the most cash every yr, and be done with it.

I don't think any Royals fans are happy about the way that the team has been run for the last many yrs, but I think it's pretty lame to bag on people that aren't fairweather fans.

PunkinDrublic
07-21-2006, 04:33 PM
Too bad the Tards can't buy their way out of choking in the postseason. How do you guys manage to lose a world series to a team infamous for being cursed?

Eleazar
07-21-2006, 04:35 PM
Here's yet another member of the supposed "great minority" of uppity Cardinals fans.

KCinNY
07-21-2006, 06:40 PM
Repeat after me:

"Nineteen eighty two!!!, Eleven to nothing!!!!"

Pitt Gorilla
07-21-2006, 09:06 PM
If you believe this, then just root for whoever spends the most cash every yr, and be done with it.

I don't think any Royals fans are happy about the way that the team has been run for the last many yrs, but I think it's pretty lame to bag on people that aren't fairweather fans.
Great post.

Valiant
07-21-2006, 10:20 PM
Yeah, but what that doesn't say is that Glass had lost 25-30 million dollars in the years previous to that. People are just ignorant. The Royals don't draw decent crowds at all, you can't even find Royals merchandise at some KC area stores, yet people think Glass is raking in all this money. Brilliant logic there.

Plus, last year we tried to go with a younger lineup, which caused a lower playroll. Well instead of hanging with it, Glass freaked because people got on him about turning a profit. He should've gave those people a big middle finger instead of going out and spending a bunch of money on old vets. Now those same idiots are complaining because we're "old". That'll probably be the best thing about hiring Dayton Moore, he'll tell everybody to screw off, we're doing it my way now. That's what this organization needs.

I think Glass made some massive mistakes in how he runs the team, but I don't believe for a second he's swimming in cash from owning the Royals. This isn't rocket science. People are just stupid and don't look beyond the surface. That's the moral of the story.

You own a team to win championships not make money.. And where did you get your numbers that they lost money??? The only person that said the Royals have lost money is Glass.. The Royals have made a profit for five years in a row... This is why the other owners have been after him and the way he is running his club..

The royals get enough money each year from the top teams to cover the payroll of the team, then add advertising from all the companies at the park, then add the network and adverstising on them.. Split the cost of parking, tickets and concessions with the Complex... Glass is running the team like a business and not a club since he bought it... Oh I forgot the luxury suites which are usually sold out every game because big companies like Cerner buy them for their employees..

Dartgod
07-21-2006, 10:37 PM
Repeat after me:

"Nineteen eighty two!!!, Eleven to nothing!!!!"
Pssssst...

Nineteen eighty five

KCinNY
07-22-2006, 12:51 AM
Pssssst...

Nineteen eighty five

Uh..yeah I know 11-0 was in '85. I was referring to the last time the Cards actually won a world title.

StcChief
07-22-2006, 07:38 AM
Gussie Busch ran Cards like Baseball team
Jockety runs Cards like a business but he wants to win and does alot to make that happen Spends money to do it.

Glass runs it like Walmart/Kmart. makes money but for how long?

Otis99
07-24-2006, 08:16 AM
Here's yet another member of the supposed "great minority" of uppity Cardinals fans.

Quoted for truth.

Another thing I don't understand is why Cards fans always give us a hard time about decisions that our ownership makes. Last time I checked my name wasn't David Glass. I'm pretty sure that virtually all Royals fans are upset at the way the franchise is being run.

What's the number one tip that people give when people disagree with how a sports franchise is being run? "Vote with your dollars. Don't give them any money" What do people think is happening? Have they been ignoring attendance records at Royals home games? Most of the true fans have already done that and, predictably, it's not working.

Besides, I doubt if we sold out every game it would make a difference either way.

Brock
07-24-2006, 08:25 AM
You own a team to win championships not make money.

Uh.....yeah. I doubt many team owners would agree with that, if they were telling the truth.

beavis
07-24-2006, 08:40 AM
Uh.....yeah. I doubt many team owners would agree with that, if they were telling the truth.
How dare you... don't you know Lamar's only purpose left in life is to win a Superbowl! That $40 million he made last year wasn't his fault!

Chief Henry
07-24-2006, 02:22 PM
THink how much $$$ David Glass will make when he moves the Royals to Vegas...