PDA

View Full Version : A Question for the Olde Tymers...

grandllama
07-20-2006, 08:31 PM
Not necessarily CP old tymers.... although most of you know me better than noobs... more directed at the seasoned members of the board (age wize)

I've been noticing changes in my personality that I don't know for sure if I like or not. I've always tried to be positive and have a smile on my face when social interacting (this BBS included). The first time I met Stevie Ray (FDE) he complimented me on my positive outlook on everything. Yet, in the last two months what little I've posted have all been smarmy smart ass comments and I've received more negative feedback than in my first 3.5 years on the board. (It's not just the board, its been in real life too) I've never 'enjoyed' flame wars, piling on (except American Hero), or disagreements of any type, although I've always had a tremendous temper.

I had a life changing event about twelve years ago that led me to completely overhaul my personality. I lost the most special girl of my life because I couldn't control my temper. I set out on a conscious quest to rid my self of the demons that caused her to leave. My closest friends told me I took it to far and didn't know how to get mad anymore, but I enjoyed the fact that I always saw both sides of an argument and could be diplomatic towards all disagreements.

Now I'm finding myself less and less able to control those demons. I get pissed at the slightest thing and then the part of mind that is responsible for control gets into a fight with the part that wants to let things spill out and just get in a good old fashioned confrontation.

Is it because I am getting older (37) and have had a pretty full life of shit sandwiches, is it just the shit sandwiches themselves in a 2 year succession one after another, is it another form of getting older where you find yourself less and less likely to take shit from anybody, is it just a midlife crisis manifesting itself in the the form of hating people instead of buying a red sports car?

I don't even know for sure why I am posting this, except as a form of therapy. If anybody else in the 'aging' bracket has endured a radical outlook change, I'd appreciate the feedback.

~~Llama, soon to be Skip ~~

JimNasium
07-20-2006, 08:33 PM
Your and idiot.

JimNasium
07-20-2006, 08:34 PM
Oh, and FWIW I've not noticed a dramatic change in your online personality. You're just as cool as usual IMO.

Ultra Peanut
07-20-2006, 08:35 PM
I'm not trying to be a smart-ass, but maybe you should see a real therapist about this sort of thing. Perhaps doing so would help you find a way to have a longer fuse or avoid getting snippy with people.

grandllama
Your and idiot.

Thanks that makes me feel better dickhead ROFL

grandllama
I'm not trying to be a smart-ass, but maybe you should see a real therapist about this sort of thing. Perhaps doing so would help you find a way to avoid getting snippy with people or having a longer fuse.

That's the thing... CP is my therapist.... see my reply to Mr Nasium below ;)

JimNasium
07-20-2006, 08:36 PM
I'm not trying to be a smart-ass, but maybe you should see a real therapist about this sort of thing. Perhaps doing so would help you find a way to have a longer fuse or avoid getting snippy with people.
Eat me b!tch.

grandllama
07-20-2006, 08:36 PM
Eat me b!tch.

No, you got that wrong... you tried to eat MY bitch
:)

grandllama
07-20-2006, 08:37 PM
Step one: Don't call other posters dickheads.

here's the kicker dickhead (oops... forgot your rule)... Mr. Nasium and I know each other... and have called each other worse... :p

hypersensitiveZO6
07-20-2006, 08:38 PM
Your skip powers are increasing. :shrug:

grandllama
07-20-2006, 08:41 PM

I know... that's what scares me.... at least I didn't bitch at you for being a n00b... the minute that starts, turn off the net connection and straight to therapy.

I think I've been snippy with you before as well... and I don't know you from adam... that's one of the things that concerns me...

KC Jones
07-20-2006, 08:47 PM

strong in the skip is this one.

http://www.isi.edu/isd/yoda/Yoda.JPG

hypersensitiveZO6
07-20-2006, 08:48 PM
I know... that's what scares me.... at least I didn't bitch at you for being a n00b... the minute that starts, turn off the net connection and straight to therapy.

I think I've been snippy with you before as well... and I don't know you from adam... that's one of the things that concerns me...

No apology needed. I was just suggesting if you started to not use profanity around the board and your live, you may be less snippy, more calm, and feel better about yourself.

listopencil
07-20-2006, 09:02 PM
No apology needed. I was just suggesting if you started to not use profanity around the board and your live, you may be less snippy, more calm, and feel better about yourself.

**** that.

WilliamTheIrish
07-20-2006, 09:06 PM
You could change your screen name. You know, like skip.

hypersensitiveZO6
07-20-2006, 09:07 PM
**** that.

I motherfu*king agree with ya. Except sometimes it's out of angry and is negative toward the person. That is why. It sometimes does people good to stop for awhile.

Halfcan
07-20-2006, 09:09 PM
Try a beer with your next shit sandwich it might help it go down better-lol

Here is my 2 cents worth that really is worth only a penny.

The world has not changed you have. Obviously you feel things a lot deeper than you usually let on. By dwelling on the "perfect" girl you lost-you are only putting her on a pedestal, but also acceptig full blame and bringing yourself lower. It is doubtful that anger was the only issue that broke you up-if she really loved you-it could have worked out. Let it go Bro and find the one you are "supposed" to be with. 12 years??-time to let it go.

As far as patience-sounds like you expect more out of yourself and life in general and that you are not living up to your potential in either category. Shit sandwich pretty much sums up your outlook right now. You need to find out exactly what makes you happy, and how you want to spend the rest of your life. Having inner peace-should translate to having more patience with the idiots out there.

As far as CP-it seems you are very well-liked and respected.

big nasty kcnut
07-20-2006, 09:11 PM
Grand emotion like you have are test a man have on his psyche it not that you getting older it telling you to find better ways of dealing with it. Maybe it time to join a mma class or boxing clases to release that side of you and then it will leave you behind.

munkey
07-20-2006, 09:23 PM
Is it because I am getting older (37) and have had a pretty full life of shit sandwiches, is it just the shit sandwiches themselves in a 2 year succession one after another, is it another form of getting older where you find yourself less and less likely to take shit from anybody, is it just a midlife crisis manifesting itself in the the form of hating people instead of buying a red sports car?

Blah...

Try 37 with the thought of seeing your oldest daughter graduate from HS in two years.....It's kinda like a double decker shit sandwich sometimes.

AND I have two more girls to go..... :banghead:

Thank God I have a great wife.

Jenson71
07-20-2006, 09:24 PM
Always remember people's names. A person's name is important about them, and it makes them feel better about themselves.

And you can always get farther by being nice to people than being the opposite.

I am young, I am inexperienced, but I think I enjoy life and these are two things I think about alot.

morphius
07-20-2006, 09:27 PM
No, you got that wrong... you tried to eat MY bitch
:)
That reminds me of a story. My girlfriend (now wife) and I were down in the Ozarks with our folks at some convention. I have a sister that is 19 years younger, and her, my girlfriend and our Moms were all out shopping. My Girlfriend yells out as my Mom is walking away with my little sister, "Stop that lady, she has taken my Baby!". Without missing a beat, my Mom turns and just says, "No, you took my baby.".

munkey
07-20-2006, 09:27 PM
Always remember people's names. .

I'm f*cked....

milkman
07-20-2006, 09:37 PM
It sounds to me like you're going through menopause.

Bob Dole
07-20-2006, 09:38 PM
Bob Dole has found that there's apparently a finite limit to the cumulative amount of shit Bob Dole is (was) willing to tolerate.

It bothered Bob Dole for awhile until he realized that by eliminating the shitheads and their associated drama, you leave more time for yourself to spend with the people that deserve your attention.

Nzoner
07-20-2006, 10:00 PM
I believe what you're experiencing is called a mid-life crisis.

BTW,I hope my pm didn't piss you off.

Logical
07-20-2006, 10:00 PM
Don't think it is age, but the shit sandwich theory is a likelihood. As the esteemed Mr. Dole said there is only so much of that a person can tolerate.

Bugeater
07-20-2006, 10:16 PM
Wow, I can certainly relate as I'm going thru a similar situation at a similar age. After you eat so many of those shit sandwiches it's hard to get the taste out of your mouth. All I can say is don't let your anger get to point where it causes you to take a step back in life.

Rain Man
07-20-2006, 10:18 PM
Bob Dole has found that there's apparently a finite limit to the cumulative amount of shit Bob Dole is (was) willing to tolerate.

It bothered Bob Dole for awhile until he realized that by eliminating the shitheads and their associated drama, you leave more time for yourself to spend with the people that deserve your attention.

How many people have you killed?

I always thought I was the only one who woke up from fits of rage covered in blood.

Rausch
07-20-2006, 10:58 PM
You might want to check any medications you're taking.

I was taking a sleeping pill (Remron) that over time (slowly got worse over 6 or 7 months) eroded my patience and evolved into me just having a horrible temper.

And a person can only take so much. If there are a couple things going on in your life really stressing you out or that're hard to deal with....well.

No one's invulnerable...

Fish
07-21-2006, 08:18 AM
Have you considered :bong: ?

JBucc
07-21-2006, 08:24 AM
I lost the most special girl of my life because I couldn't control my temperDid you kill her?

Radar Chief
07-21-2006, 08:34 AM
Blah...

Try 37 with the thought of seeing your oldest daughter graduate from HS in two years.....It's kinda like a double decker shit sandwich sometimes.

AND I have two more girls to go..... :banghead:

Thank God I have a great wife.

At least you’ll get’em all booted out with enough health left to enjoy life.
I got a later start on things, I’m 39 and my only son turns 2 next month. :eek:

HemiEd
07-21-2006, 09:47 AM
You are about the age, not quite, that I first started having to deal with "Rage." I got a DUI, and had to change a bunch of things. Have you removed Cigs, Alcohol, or Coffee from your normal consumption recently? I am not a Doctor, but if your body was used to any of these things and you take it away, rage can be the result from my experience.