PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs/Bernard Pollard agree to terms!

Megbert
07-21-2006, 03:53 PM
KCChiefs.com (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2006/07/21/chiefs_agree_to_terms_with_secondround_pick_s_bernard_pollard/)

Chiefs Agree to Terms with Second-Round Pick S Bernard Pollard
Jul 21, 2006, 4:30:34 PM

Kansas City Chiefs President Carl Peterson announced on Friday that the club has agreed to terms of a four-year contract with S Bernard Pollard. Pollard is the fourth member of the Chiefs 2006 draft class to agree to terms with the club. As per Chiefs policy, no other terms of the agreement were made available.

“We are pleased to have our second-round draft choice Bernard Pollard under contract prior to the start of training camp,” Peterson commented. “We believe that Bernard is a tremendous talent who has the potential to eventually become a starter for our team in the future. We believe he will make a solid contribution to the Kansas City Chiefs in 2006 and for many years to come.”

“We felt after watching Bernard Pollard in college that he was going to be a physical player in the back end of our defense and I think we found out a little bit more about that this spring,” Chiefs head coach Herm Edwards commented. “He has great range and he is eager to learn. He’s a team-oriented guy. Bernard is a guy who has speed, a great ability to tackle and will help us on special teams. When you look at our secondary I think everyone was concerned about the corner position, but when I looked at it we had three safeties who had played a significant amount of time. I think the addition of Bernard Pollard is going to help us tremendously.”

Pollard (6-1, 224) joined the Chiefs as the club’s second-round pick (54th overall) in the 2006 NFL Draft. Pollard entered the draft with one year of eligibility remaining at Purdue. He played in 36 games (35 starts), recording 254 tackles (164 solo), 8.0 tackles for loss (-26.0 yards), a sack (-3.0 yards), four interceptions for 19 yards, nine passes defensed, two fumble recoveries and two forced fumbles. Pollard also set a Boilermakers record with five blocked kicks, in addition to returning three blocked punts.

Pollard opened all 11 games at strong safety in 2005, producing 92 tackles (64 solo), 1.5 tackles for loss (-7.0 yards), three INTs, three passes defensed and a fumble recovery. He was named second-team All-Big Ten by The NFL Draft Report.

The Fort Wayne, Indiana native was selected first-team All-Indiana as a senior at South Side High School in Fort Wayne, Indiana. Pollard also competed in basketball and track in high school.

tyton75
07-21-2006, 03:57 PM
Dammit Carl!

big nasty kcnut
07-21-2006, 04:05 PM
Bonecrusher is here feel the pain denver.

hawkchief
07-21-2006, 04:07 PM
Is it possible for Carl to ever open his mouth without slobbering all over his own knob. I have never in my life heard someone give themselves more props than he does when he makes even basic comments. I realize he is sensitive to all of the legitimate criticism he has received over the past 15 YEARS regarding failures at talent evaluation, and just being a dick during contract negotiations, but it is absolutely childish the way he has to brag about every player he signs. He is just a gross individual that missed his calling as a used car salesman. Fortunately, I have never shaken hands with him, but I assume when he introduces himself, he mentions that he is a genius. What a complete tool.

IA_Chiefs_fan
07-21-2006, 04:12 PM
Is it possible for Carl to ever open his mouth without slobbering all over his own knob. I have never in my life heard someone give themselves more props than he does when he makes even basic comments. I realize he is sensitive to all of the legitimate criticism he has received over the past 15 YEARS regarding failures at talent evaluation, and just being a dick during contract negotiations, but it is absolutely childish the way he has to brag about every player he signs. He is just a gross individual that missed his calling as a used car salesman. Fortunately, I have never shaken hands with him, but I assume when he introduces himself, he mentions that he is a genius. What a complete tool.I see nothing wrong with what he said. What do you expect him to say?

hypersensitiveZO6
07-21-2006, 04:18 PM
Good deal.

Adept Havelock
07-21-2006, 04:32 PM
Good deal. Now let's get a deal done with Hali.

tyton75
07-21-2006, 04:34 PM
Have any 1st rounders been signed other than the 1st pick?

wutamess
07-21-2006, 04:42 PM

Your mom signed earlier today.

R&GHomer
07-21-2006, 04:56 PM
Is it possible for Carl to ever open his mouth without slobbering all over his own knob. I have never in my life heard someone give themselves more props than he does when he makes even basic comments. I realize he is sensitive to all of the legitimate criticism he has received over the past 15 YEARS regarding failures at talent evaluation, and just being a dick during contract negotiations, but it is absolutely childish the way he has to brag about every player he signs. He is just a gross individual that missed his calling as a used car salesman. Fortunately, I have never shaken hands with him, but I assume when he introduces himself, he mentions that he is a genius. What a complete tool.

I met CP back in 95 and was pleasantly surprised at how cordial he was. I was just their to setup a pc for a press conference and he actually instructed the equipment manager to give me a tour and let me on the field. I don't agree with a lot of the decisions he has made over the years, but that was pretty damn nice in my book.

Glad too see we've got four signed and only three to go. I may be wrong , but I honestly think we will have all our picks signed and in camp on time.

the Talking Can
07-21-2006, 05:01 PM
Rhondzilla on 610 yesterday said that Croyle may be a problem to sign because he wants incentives built in based in the assumption that he'll be starting in 2-3 years...

R&GHomer
07-21-2006, 05:06 PM
Rhondzilla on 610 yesterday said that Croyle may be a problem to sign because he wants incentives built in based in the assumption that he'll be starting in 2-3 years...

I can't stand that fat gunt. That being said, If he holds out, he's the only one getting hurt in the deal. That is of course, unless both Green and Printers get hurt. The only way Croyl gets the number 2 spot is if he beats out Printers in training camp. Well, I guess we have to take Huard into consideration, but I fully expect that turd to be cut. At least I really hope he does.

tyton75
07-21-2006, 05:07 PM
Your mom signed earlier today.

at least she is a first rounder..

your mom can't get a job on the corner of 75th and Prospect

milkman
07-21-2006, 06:32 PM
I see nothing wrong with what he said. What do you expect him to say?

I guess he expects Carl to say that Pollard was a reach in the second round, and that they have every expectation that he will suck in his short stay in KC, which made it easier to sign him.

milkman
07-21-2006, 06:34 PM
I guess he expects Carl to say that Pollard was a reach in the second round, and that they have every expectation that he will suck in his short stay in KC, which made it easier to sign him.

BTW, fro the record, this is not how I see Pollard.
I have high hopes for him.

Just commenting on the moronic hawkchief post.

58-4ever
07-21-2006, 06:37 PM
5 blocked kicks, 3 for touchdowns, and 3 interceptions his last 11 games. At the very least he'll be a really good special teams player. I'd like to see what he can do on defense early on.

ChiefFan31
07-21-2006, 06:48 PM
I am pleasantly suprised at this one.

Glad it happened. Now turn up the pressure on Hali :)

Red Dawg
07-21-2006, 06:54 PM
BONECRUSHER IN THE HOUSE!

hawkchief
07-21-2006, 07:07 PM
I see nothing wrong with what he said. What do you expect him to say?

I guess I am just sick of Peterson being the "face" of the CHiefs organization. He's the first one to toot his own horn when he makes a decent move (rare), but he's nowhere to be seen or found when all of his failed moves and horrible PR moves surface. He talks down to his customers (unless they are seson ticket holders), and sounds like a paid political announcement whenever a player signs. I don't recall him ever saying what a douchebag he was during the John Tait negotiations, or admit that he should have signed some decent FA's in "02,'03,'04, while our great offense had no help on D and got old. Carl Peterson is the biggest egotist and opportunist I have ever seen, and whatever he says IMO is a big pile of BS..

htismaqe
07-21-2006, 07:16 PM
I guess I am just sick of Peterson being the "face" of the CHiefs organization. He's the first one to toot his own horn when he makes a decent move (rare), but he's nowhere to be seen or found when all of his failed moves and horrible PR moves surface. He talks down to his customers (unless they are seson ticket holders), and sounds like a paid political announcement whenever a player signs. I don't recall him ever saying what a douchebag he was during the John Tait negotiations, or admit that he should have signed some decent FA's in "02,'03,'04, while our great offense had no help on D and got old. Carl Peterson is the biggest egotist and opportunist I have ever seen, and whatever he says IMO is a big pile of BS..

I've heard Carl say SEVERAL times that the team failed to live up to expectations. And I've also heard him take blame for it.

jspchief
07-21-2006, 07:30 PM
Rhondzilla on 610 yesterday said that Croyle may be a problem to sign because he wants incentives built in based in the assumption that he'll be starting in 2-3 years...Why would the Chiefs balk at this? It seems like an ideal situation for both parties. Worst case scenario for the organization is that he really does become the starter, and earns deserved starter money based on reaching those incentives.

I guess I don't get what would scare the Chiefs away from that. Or maybe I misunderstand what he's asking for.

the Talking Can
07-21-2006, 07:34 PM
Why would the Chiefs balk at this? It seems like an ideal situation for both parties. Worst case scenario for the organization is that he really does become the starter, and earns deserved starter money based on reaching those incentives.

I guess I don't get what would scare the Chiefs away from that. Or maybe I misunderstand what he's asking for.

my sense of her comment was that they were simply asking for too much as a 3rd round pick, and basing their claims on the perception of Croyle as the QBOTF....but I agree, the Chiefs surely do have thoughts about Croyle as the QBOTF and would be wise to agree to some type of structure that would compensate him appropriately..it may be an issue of cold hard cash now (Croyle) versus performance incentives later (Chiefs)...

jspchief
07-21-2006, 07:37 PM
my sense of her comment was that they were simply asking for too much as a 3rd round pick, and basing their claims on the perception of Croyle as the QBOTF....but I agree, the Chiefs surely do have thoughts about Croyle as the QBOTF and would be wise to agree to some type of structure that would compensate him appropriately..it may be an issue of cold hard cash now (Croyle) versus performance incentives later (Chiefs)...Any idea of who Croyle's agent is?

CoMoChief
07-21-2006, 07:40 PM
Pollard was a reach IMO. I hope he pans out though. We usually have our heads up our asses in the 2nd round but hopefully this time I'm wrong.

the Talking Can
07-21-2006, 07:42 PM
Any idea of who Croyle's agent is?

nope....no luck with google either

SLAG
07-21-2006, 07:47 PM
is he the next woods?

ChiefFan31
07-21-2006, 07:56 PM
Pollard was a reach IMO. I hope he pans out though. We usually have our heads up our asses in the 2nd round but hopefully this time I'm wrong.

Possibly a reach, I mean look at Siavii. Good God
:banghead:

It sure did indicate what Herm thought of our safeties considering we had a def need at corner.

Halfcan
07-21-2006, 09:38 PM
Good deal. Now let's get a deal done with Hali.

Yep!

chiefsfan1963
07-21-2006, 09:57 PM
after we sign hali and croyle have we signed all our rookies?

milkman
07-21-2006, 09:59 PM
after we sign hali and croyle have we signed all our rookies?

There's still Page, who might opt for baseball.

noa
07-22-2006, 12:13 AM
Why would the Chiefs balk at this? It seems like an ideal situation for both parties. Worst case scenario for the organization is that he really does become the starter, and earns deserved starter money based on reaching those incentives.

I agree. The way I see it, our only main concern should be his injury problems, and if that occurs again, he won't earn the incentive money. It seems like an incentive-laden contract would be the way to go with Croyle. I'm sure Croyle will sign next and then Hali.

Halfcan
07-22-2006, 12:15 AM
I agree. The way I see it, our only main concern should be his injury problems, and if that occurs again, he won't earn the incentive money. It seems like an incentive-laden contract would be the way to go with Croyle. I'm sure Croyle will sign next and then Hali.

Considering Trent has 3 good years left-I would think so.

ChiefsCountry
07-22-2006, 12:17 AM

I thought so at draft time, but the more research I did he was a good 2nd round pick. He slipped in lot of circles bc of character problems.

jlscorpio
07-22-2006, 08:52 AM
I'm very happy about this signing. I think Bonecrusher's gonna be a stud for us. Anybody that thinks this is a reach, watch some film of Knight last year. And read the title under my avatar.

CoMoChief
07-22-2006, 09:25 AM
I'm very happy about this signing. I think Bonecrusher's gonna be a stud for us. Anybody that thinks this is a reach, watch some film of Knight last year. And read the title under my avatar.

Everyone on our defense sucked major ass that game, it wasnt just Sammy Knight. He's usually a good tackler and is usually in good position to make plays.

CHENZ A!
07-22-2006, 10:10 AM
BONECRUSHER IN THE HOUSE!

GO GET 'EM BP!

BONECRUSHER (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5_2QQVbkNQ&search=Bonecrusher)

:clap: :rockon:

el borracho
07-22-2006, 11:47 AM
So I'm outside of da club and you think I'm a puuuuuuuunk
So I get my peanut butter and jelly and I cut off the cruuuuuuuuust

CupidStunt
07-22-2006, 02:19 PM

Kamerion Wimbley.