PDA

View Full Version : Best Mp3 player?

Mr. Laz
07-22-2006, 04:17 PM
Ipod is the biggest name ... but is it the best?

looking for a mp3 players for someone else ... don't really know which one is best.

all opinions appreciated .... thanks

can you upload regular Mp3 songs to Ipods etc or do you really have to pay a subscription for each song?

jspchief
07-22-2006, 04:42 PM
Ipod probably really is the best. It's the benchmark for features you'll search for in other MP3 players. It also has the widest variety of aftermarket accessories, by far.

The only downside of the Ipod is the price. Some people don't like Itunes, but I don't mind it.

Having bought both an Ipod, and a similar player by another manufacturer, I would get another Apple if I had to get another.

Others will be along shortly to tell you it's a product of it's marketing, but I challenge anyone to find a better player.

Scanfan55
07-22-2006, 04:52 PM
If your going to use it only for downloading music, the ipod is ok. But, I have a sansa. It not only will do video and downloads, but has an FM tuner, which ideal if you are going to the gym, if your gym requires an FM tuner to use their televisions.

It cost me 169.-- for 2GB at circuit city. Can also get at best buy.

beavis
07-22-2006, 04:55 PM
I've had my iPod for about a month now, and I love it (I got one of the 60 gig video units). I can't speak to the others, because I've never used them.

I was able to import all of my mp3s with little effort. The only thing I don't care for is the size of mine. I'd like it to be a little smaller. But all in all, I really couldn't be more satisfied with it thus far.

ChiefFan31
07-22-2006, 05:12 PM
Well, there are two different types of MP3 players.

One type uses flash memory, that ranges from 512MB to 4GB nowadays.

The other is a small hard drive type player and they range from 20-60GB.

There are plenty of good units out there. Ipods are good units and extremely well marketed. It really depends on what YOU want to use it for. If you have a lot of music on your computer and want to hear it all in your car, get one with a HD

if you plan on just using it to work out, or go jogging I would recommend getting a unit that uses the flash memory. No HD to possibly damage if you are exercising, riding a bike, etc.

There is no clear cut "best" player, but I am getting an iPod soon FWIW

Mr. Laz
07-23-2006, 11:26 AM
thanks ......... it will be used for jogging, roller blading etc.

so i take it that the most expensive one is the best ..... who would of thunk it. :(

ipod nano 4 gig

teedubya
07-23-2006, 11:33 AM
my personal favorite is the Archos brand. I bought a 10GB one on Ebay a year ago for $69 and it works amazingly... plus I have an FM transmitter for listening to shit in my car. That cost $15. so, for 84 bucks. Im set.

Mr. Laz
07-23-2006, 11:38 AM
my personal favorite is the Archos brand. I bought a 10GB one on Ebay a year ago for $69 and it works amazingly... plus I have an FM transmitter for listening to shit in my car. That cost $15. so, for 84 bucks. Im set.

hard drive or solid?

teedubya
07-23-2006, 11:38 AM
10GB Harddrive.

teedubya
07-23-2006, 11:39 AM
However, they have each variety. They are a solid company, yet not as publicized as APple...

rageeumr
07-23-2006, 11:40 AM
It really depends on the use of it. I just bought my sister an ipod because I know she will use it everywhere. When I bought my MP3 player, I got a Nike (Phillips) one off ebay for $50. It only holds like 50 songs, but I only use it when I work out. I have the music keg in the car to appease me there :)

Mr. Laz
07-23-2006, 11:42 AM
One type uses flash memory, that ranges from 512MB to 4GB nowadays.

btw sanyo is making new flash chips ..... 8 gig and 16 gig now.

should be 8 /16 gig Ipod nano's out by christmas this year.

chief2000
07-23-2006, 11:49 AM
I knew someone would automatically say 'ipod'.

Mr. Laz
07-23-2006, 11:53 AM
I knew someone would automatically say 'ipod'.
thanks so much for your outstanding contribution to the thread.

take a bow...

patteeu
07-23-2006, 12:24 PM
Ipod probably really is the best. It's the benchmark for features you'll search for in other MP3 players. It also has the widest variety of aftermarket accessories, by far.

The only downside of the Ipod is the price. Some people don't like Itunes, but I don't mind it.

Having bought both an Ipod, and a similar player by another manufacturer, I would get another Apple if I had to get another.

Others will be along shortly to tell you it's a product of it's marketing, but I challenge anyone to find a better player.

I basically agree with this, but I will add one other drawback to the iPod. While you can definitely load all your .mp3's onto your iPod whether you've paid for them or not, you are limited to associating your iPod with one computer (unless you use 3rd party software). That means that you can't visit a friend's house and load music from his computer to your iPod without wiping out what you already have on it. Other .mp3 players allow you to do this, but Apple tries to prevent it in the name of making it harder to share/pirate music.

Having said that, my wife, our kids, and I each have our own iPods (4GB mini, 1GB nano, 2 GB nano, and 30GB video) and we all like them. We've also had a few of the flash-type mp3 players and some are far better than others. The display and navigation capabilities are key, IMO. My daughter had an iRock that she liked a lot. She lost it and bought a Memorex that sucked because of the poor navigation scheme. iPods have a very effective display/navigation scheme.

One other thing. The ability to create/manage playlists on-the-fly on an iPod leaves room for improvement. There's plenty of functionality for this within iTunes on your computer, but only rudimentary capabilities on the iPod itself. I don't know if any of the other branded players are better at this or not, but it could be a differentiator.

ck_IN
07-23-2006, 02:43 PM
I own a Creative Zen that my wife got me for Xmas. It's a 6g and comes with drag/drop software for organizing playlists, adding downloaded songs, etc. The sound quality is super and it has an FM tuner. I love it and it's about $100 cheaper then a comparable Apple product.

If you're not hung up on the Apple name I'd recommend it highly.

07-23-2006, 03:00 PM

Must be nice. I never get a good deal on ebay. Whenever I decide to bid on something, somebody wants to offer more than what you could get it for at the store. I don't understand that at all.