PDA

View Full Version : Serial Killers on the loose in Phoenix.....

Mecca
07-22-2006, 11:04 PM
AMANDA LEE MYERS - The Associated Press
PHOENIX -- People aren't going out alone at night anymore. Co-workers are walking to their cars in pairs in the evenings. Parents aren't letting their children out of their sight.

Fear and paranoia have gripped this sprawling city amid reports that not one, but two serial killers have been striking separately in recent months, killing as many as 11 people at random on darkened streets.

"I'm terrified," said 25-year-old Valerie Alvidrez, who lives alone with her 6-month-old daughter in central Phoenix where many of the killings have occurred. "It's scary. If something happens, I have to defend me and my daughter."

The killings and wounding of at least 16 other people evoked the terror of the 2002 Washington-area sniper shootings because of the randomness of the crimes and the fact the victims were struck down while going about their daily routines. People have been shot from behind while biking; one victim was vacuuming her car at a car wash, another was waiting for a bus.

Six of the killings are being attributed to the "Baseline Killer," whose name refers to the street where he is believed to have committed his first crimes. Police say the man likely wears a disguise -- a wig of dreadlocks topped by a fisherman's hat -- and strikes just after sunset. Five of his victims have been women. Police have not said how all his victims were killed but several were shot.

The second suspected predator, dubbed the "Serial Shooter," has been definitively linked to the Dec. 29 wounding of one man and authorities believe he could be responsible for a total of five shooting deaths. Police say the shooter likely watches victims -- mostly pedestrians and bicyclists -- and strikes from behind when no one is looking. The shootings usually occur late at night or in the early morning. Sixteen victims of the Serial Shooter have survived.

The number of crimes stand out, even in what is one of the nation's most violent cities for its size. Police statistics show a homicide occurred in Phoenix, which has about 1.5 million residents, every 38 hours on average in 2005.

Police have created two task forces with a total of 120 officers to investigate the crimes, and officials have collected $100,000 as a reward for information leading to the arrest of either suspect.

"We know we're always in a race against the clock," police spokesman Sgt. Andy Hill said. "We don't want there to be another victim."

The latest killing was at about 9:30 p.m. on June 29, when 37-year-old Carmen Miranda is believed to have been attacked by the Baseline Killer as she vacuumed her car at a car wash. Detective Dave Barnes said a surveillance video shows what he called a "blitz attack."

"It appears very calculated," Barnes said. "It all takes place in a matter of seconds."

Another Baseline Killer victim, Liliana Sanchez-Cabrera, 20, was shot to death with 23-year-old George Chou, a co-worker, after they left their jobs at a restaurant the night of March 15. Their bodies were found a mile apart.

Sanchez-Cabrera's mother said it's like her daughter was killed yesterday.

"I think about her when I wake up, when I cook and remember her favorite foods. ... when I go to sleep," Juana Sanchez said in Spanish.

Police won't disclose what specific evidence in either set of killings leads them to believe the crimes are connected, but say time of day and locations play a part.

They believe the Baseline Killer got his start in August, committing robberies and sexual assaults in parts of south Phoenix and that he began killing a month later. Police won't say whether any of the murder victims were sexually assaulted.

The Serial Shooter is believed to have been killing victims since May 2005. Although police say they have only definitively linked four of the crimes -- the Dec. 29 wounding of a man and the shootings of several dogs and a horse -- they believe the shooter could be responsible for the random shootings of at least 21 people. In all, five people have died, all but one of them men. The shootings usually occur late at night or in the early morning in a rough area in western Phoenix.

Authorities have no witnesses in the Serial Shooter case. Descriptions of the Baseline Killer have varied, with some saying he is bald and black, and others saying he is Hispanic.

Police are trying to reassure residents.

"We're in a valley of 3 million people, and we're looking for two people that we don't know what they look like," Phoenix police Chief Jack Harris said. "But let me assure you that we will not rest until we do track these people down."

Megbert
07-22-2006, 11:44 PM
That and the rekkid heat out here. Paradise!

DenverChief
07-22-2006, 11:50 PM
:shake: I hope they get bitten in the testicles by a rattle snake

Halfcan
07-22-2006, 11:51 PM
I am sure that the killers have a good reason for doing what they are doing. I see nothing wrong with this at all. The people probably got what they had coming. It is a free country.

Thought I would take your side this time Mecca-lol

greg63
07-22-2006, 11:55 PM
Fear and paranoia have gripped this sprawling city amid reports that not one, but two serial killers have been striking separately in recent months, killing as many as 11 people at random on darkened streets.

They shouldn't go down those streets.

Halfcan
07-22-2006, 11:57 PM
They shouldn't go down those streets.

That is what I was thinking. Stay home and hide under the bed with a shotgun.,

Mecca
07-22-2006, 11:57 PM
I am sure that the killers have a good reason for doing what they are doing. I see nothing wrong with this at all. The people probably got what they had coming. It is a free country.

Thought I would take your side this time Mecca-lol

Now now I only support that kind of stuff in movies........

greg63
07-22-2006, 11:59 PM
That is what I was thinking. Stay home and hide under the bed with a shotgun.,

ROFLROFLROFL

I was thinking more like a bazooka. :D

Halfcan
07-23-2006, 12:00 AM
My guess is that they are ex Raider players.

greg63
07-23-2006, 12:04 AM
My guess is that they are ex Raider players.

Art Shell and John Madden?

Halfcan
07-23-2006, 12:04 AM
Now now I only support that kind of stuff in movies........

I was just trying to see things from your point of view-then you change your mind. Jeez I can't win-lol Are you ever going to get done with your myspace ad??

Mecca
07-23-2006, 12:05 AM
I was just trying to see things from your point of view-then you change your mind. Jeez I can't win-lol Are you ever going to get done with your myspace ad??

Nah, I'm sure everyone likes checking out my myspace page and seeing new pictures of myself. My new layouts and all that fun stuff, I actually have alot of Chiefs and USC stuff on my page now so you all might enjoy my page if you check it out........

Halfcan
07-23-2006, 12:05 AM
Art Shell and John Madden?

Rich Gannon has to be one of them for sure-something about that guy I just don't trust.

Mecca
07-23-2006, 12:07 AM
Steve Nash cuts his hair and Phoenix goes to shit....

teedubya
07-23-2006, 12:44 AM
Where is MER? Hrmmm.

Mr. Laz
07-23-2006, 12:45 AM
is phoenix a red state or a blue state? :hmmm:

blueballs
07-23-2006, 12:47 AM
I'm terrified," said 25-year-old Valerie Alvidrez, who lives alone with her 6-month-old daughter in central Phoenix where many of the killings have occurred. "It's scary. If something happens, I have to defend me and my daughter."

I hope Valerie isn't listed in the phone book

Moooo
07-23-2006, 01:02 AM
Steve Nash cuts his hair and Phoenix goes to shit....

It's like Sampson or something...

Moooo

el borracho
07-23-2006, 01:48 AM
One kills men and the other kills women... where have Mer and Endelt been lately?

KCfolife
07-23-2006, 02:49 AM
back to KC...after the game on 10-8-06 ofcourse

Kerberos
07-23-2006, 04:53 AM
One kills men and the other kills women... where have Mer and Endelt been lately?

I was thinking that same thing!

Brings up images of Woody Harelson and Juliette Louis in Natural Born Killers!

:D

I won't say J/K because I am no "Milly"!

mikey23545
07-23-2006, 05:03 AM
Cou;d be the work of a rogue shooter...Where's Dick Cheney been at lately?

KcKing
07-23-2006, 07:34 AM
The second suspected predator, dubbed the "Serial Shooter," has been definitively linked to the Dec. 29 wounding of one man and authorities believe he could be responsible for a total of five shooting deaths....

Sixteen victims of the Serial Shooter have survived.

Shouldn't they call that guy a Serial Killer in Training?

Cntrygal
07-23-2006, 08:21 AM
I watched America's Most Wanted last night and they profiled these two guys. They had a rough sketch of the baseline guy (and said that some of the women were raped). They had also had a partial description of the car and the other murderer (he also targets dogs & horses - where's PETA's outrage?).

I thought that on AMW - the cops said that they didn't believe the two were connected.... I'll have to check out their site when I get home from work.

JBucc
07-23-2006, 08:45 AM
a wig of dreadlocks topped by a fisherman's hatROFL