PDA

View Full Version : A Chiefs grind is brewing

Mr. Laz
07-23-2006, 11:15 AM
CAMP COUNTDOWN 5 days to River Falls

A Chiefs grind is brewing
Edwards era begins this week with focus on clock control, defense.

By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

Dick Vermeil’s brand of Chiefs football wasn’t always successful, but nobody could argue with its entertainment value. Scores like 40-34, 49-38 and 37-31 were commonplace.

This fall, numbers like that might be more common in Kansas City’s weather report than in the Chiefs’ scores.

Another era begins for the Chiefs on Friday when they open training camp under Vermeil’s successor, Herm Edwards. Vermeil may be one of his mentors, but Edwards instead shares a conservative, grind-it-out philosophy with another former Chiefs head coach, Marty Schottenheimer.

The Chiefs might have a Pro Bowler at nearly every offensive position, but they are transitioning back to the time when they were built around their defense. Gone is the all-out-attack mentality of Vermeil and his offensive coordinator, Al Saunders. Gone, too, are the days when defense was a mere afterthought.

That’s going to take some getting used to.

“I’ve had many meetings with coach Edwards and talked with him about what his game plan is and what his style is in terms of game management,” quarterback Trent Green said. “We talked about the way we were a big-play offense and the way we really threw the ball around and those kinds of things.”

“If we’re winning, that’s great. I don’t have a problem with that.”

That Green is talking about a big-play offense being a thing in the Chiefs’ past is an indication of what to expect in the Edwards era. One of Edwards’ first moves after joining the Chiefs in January was to promote Mike Solari to replace the departed Saunders.

Solari, a career offensive line coach, favors the running game.

Edwards, a former defensive player and assistant coach, further put his stamp on the Chiefs during the draft. Their two top picks are defensive players. When they finally got around to picking an offensive player in the third round, they selected a quarterback, Alabama’s Brodie Croyle, who won’t be of much immediate help.

It’s difficult to argue with Edwards’ results in his five seasons as head coach of the Jets. He led New York to the postseason three times, twice more than Vermeil did for the Chiefs in an identical time period.

At many times, Edwards’ Jets were also ugly. They committed many time-management and play-calling blunders that are more magnified in Edwards’ kind of game, when big plays and points are hard to come by.

His philosophy clashes almost startlingly with the strength of the Chiefs, which has been their high-powered offense. That’s a point president/general manager Carl Peterson readily concedes. “It probably meshes more with how this team is being built now because we’re emphasizing defense,” Peterson said. “I can’t hide it, and I don’t think anybody can: Herman Edwards was a defensive player and a defensive coach. Dick Vermeil was an offensive guy. Coaches are going to show where their roots are.”

Certainly Edwards hasn’t tried to hide his affinity for the defense. He openly cheered for the defense after it made a play during offseason practices.

Part of that was for show, Edwards’ efforts to display some love to the forlorn side of his new team. Still, it at times rubbed some of the offensive players the wrong way.

“I’ve heard a few guys maybe say, ‘Hey, where is the impartial head coach who isn’t rooting for one side or the other?’ ” Green said.

For his part, Edwards has sent conflicting messages about his plans for the offense. At times, he suggested the offense will be much the same as it was under Vermeil.

At others, he indicated he will limit Solari’s ability to be aggressive in his play-calling.

“I anticipate playing with a lead and having to run the ball a little more than we did last year and not continually worry about getting a 17-point lead,” Edwards said. “At times, there are going to be certain games, especially on the road, when we’ve got to be able to run the ball. That’s how you take care of your opponent. You go on the road and run the ball and control the clock.

“The object is to win the game. The object is to play together as a (team). Sometimes the offense has to protect the defense. You can’t always go three and out trying to throw passes and put your defense back on the field.”

That kind of talk, naturally, delights the defensive players and coaches. Gunther Cunningham felt many times since returning two years ago as defensive coordinator that he was fighting the battle to fix the defense all by himself.

Now he has a partner in not only Edwards, but also a fresh staff of defensive position coaches whom Cunningham was allowed to hire.

“Herm’s arrival put us on level ground around here,” Cunningham said. “There’s respect for the defensive players and the coaches as well.

“In order to get something done, if you don’t have everybody pulling in the same direction with intensity and understanding of what has to be done, you’re not going to succeed. I’ve always thought I was a strong-willed person, but it takes more than one.”

The players are cheered not only by Edwards’ actions on the practice field but also by promises he made in the meeting rooms.

“Some of the decisions that were made here before sort of separated the offense from the defense,” linebacker Kawika Mitchell said. “There were situations when we would have the ball and call time out and throw the ball. This year is going to be different. We’re going to run the ball, and we’re going to win games that way. It’s hard for a defense to do well when the offense is trying to pass the ball all the time. Now we’ve got a defensive coach who’s going to run the ball. You’ll see more results from the defense.”

But what of the offense? Its time as king in Kansas City is seemingly up. Can it function without a head coach and coordinator running it at full speed?

“When we have a 17-point lead in the fourth quarter, you probably won’t see a whole lot of fake reverse passes and quick screens and stuff like that,” Green said. “I don’t see that being his style. I see him trying to manage it a little differently. And that’s just two different personalities, two different styles of running things. There’s not a right or a wrong, and the last few years we’ve really had to do that, we’ve had to score more points just to help ourselves out. If it can all balance itself out, I’m great with that.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AUTOGRAPHS

The Chiefs will have a training-camp autograph policy similar to the one they instituted last season. A randomly selected group of players will sign autographs in a designated area adjacent to the practice fields after each morning session, special-teams practices excepted.

Fans will not be allowed to seek autographs at other times.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To reach Adam Teicher, call (816) 234-4875 or send e-mail to ateicher@kcstar.com

RealSNR
07-23-2006, 11:26 AM
...but Edwards instead shares a conservative, grind-it-out philosophy with another former Chiefs head coach, Marty Schottenheimer.Teicher better just be at a loss for words like he usually is. I hope to God the full meaning of this passage does not come true :Lin:

Mr. Laz
07-23-2006, 11:28 AM
Teicher better just be at a loss for words like he usually is. I hope to God the full meaning of this passage does not come true :Lin:
from Edwards himself~

“I anticipate playing with a lead and having to run the ball a little more than we did last year and not continually worry about getting a 17-point lead,” Edwards said. “At times, there are going to be certain games, especially on the road, when we’ve got to be able to run the ball. That’s how you take care of your opponent. You go on the road and run the ball and control the clock.

“The object is to win the game. The object is to play together as a (team). Sometimes the offense has to protect the defense. You can’t always go three and out trying to throw passes and put your defense back on the field.”

58-4ever
07-23-2006, 11:32 AM
I really wish Mitchell would shut his trap and play football. He had ONE decent year. He is making it really hard to root for him.

That being said, I'm cautiously optimistic about this year.

|Zach|
07-23-2006, 11:34 AM
I really wish Mitchell would shut his trap and play football. He had ONE decent year. He is making it really hard to root for him.

That being said, I'm cautiously optimistic about this year.
What did he say that prompted that?

Do you not want him to answer questions when asked them?

cdcox
07-23-2006, 11:36 AM
Going into a shell with a 7 or 10 point lead will be disaster unless the defense improves significantly. Part of the reason that the Chiefs running game was so successful the last many years is that the opposing defense always had to respect the pass. I definitely thought Saunders/Vermeil took that too far sometimes, but no way do I want to go back to the days of Martyball. Trying to always win by 3 leaves you too open to a single mistake.

58-4ever
07-23-2006, 11:37 AM
At the last mini-camp, Mitchell and Hicks were barking to the fans about having the best defense in the league.

Then this: “Some of the decisions that were made here before sort of separated the offense from the defense,” linebacker Kawika Mitchell said. “There were situations when we would have the ball and call time out and throw the ball. This year is going to be different. We’re going to run the ball, and we’re going to win games that way. It’s hard for a defense to do well when the offense is trying to pass the ball all the time. Now we’ve got a defensive coach who’s going to run the ball. You’ll see more results from the defense.”

I just think he needs to play football and let the coaches do the coaching. He just seems like a complete idiot.

58-4ever
07-23-2006, 11:38 AM
Going into a shell with a 7 or 10 point lead will be disaster unless the defense improves significantly. Part of the reason that the Chiefs running game was so successful the last many years is that the opposing defense always had to respect the pass. I definitely thought Saunders/Vermeil took that too far sometimes, but no way do I want to go back to the days of Martyball. Trying to always win by 3 leaves you too open to a single mistake.

That is the part that is frustrating me. What the hell is wrong with having a 17 point lead? We need to play to win the game, not just not-to-lose.

|Zach|
07-23-2006, 11:38 AM
I don't see it quite as extreme as some do but the one thing that really has pissed me off about our offense is how many times they couldn't close a game. There were so many times where we had the lead with 4 or 5 mins left only to watch them give the ball up instead of just running the clock out and getting a few first downs. Giving the other team a chance...

|Zach|
07-23-2006, 11:40 AM
I just think he needs to play football and let the coaches do the coaching. He just seems like a complete idiot.
The whole defense was doing that...

Did Mitchell **** your girlfiend or something?

58-4ever
07-23-2006, 11:40 AM
You can’t always go three and out trying to throw passes and put your defense back on the field.”

I don't think throwing passes is an attempt at getting your defense on the field.

:shake:

RealSNR
07-23-2006, 11:49 AM
I just can't understand the reason for making the sudden switch to Martyball. If you have a complete offense, then use it for crying out loud. The more weapons the better.

LJ is not the only player on this offense and I hope Herm realizes this. Otherwise he will be tired before we can even think about the playoffs this season

Mr. Laz
07-23-2006, 11:56 AM
I don't see it quite as extreme as some do but the one thing that really has pissed me off about our offense is how many times they couldn't close a game. There were so many times where we had the lead with 4 or 5 mins left only to watch them give the ball up instead of just running the clock out and getting a few first downs. Giving the other team a chance...
part of that was because we struggled to run the ball WHEN the other team knew we were going to run it.

people complained alot about saunders wild play calling but it seriously opened up our running game.

it will be interesting to see what happens this year IF the offense becomes more predictable under Solari/Edwards.

Reaper16
07-23-2006, 12:30 PM
Well... this article was apocalyptic.

dj56dt58
07-23-2006, 12:39 PM
At the last mini-camp, Mitchell and Hicks were barking to the fans about having the best defense in the league.

so would u rather have him say that their defense is gonna suck again?

Rausch
07-23-2006, 12:54 PM
"I’ve always thought I was a strong-willed person, but it takes more than one.”

That's a very important lesson for Gun to learn.

Halfcan
07-23-2006, 12:59 PM
Dang I am ready for football to start.

jlscorpio
07-23-2006, 01:54 PM
I'm optimistically hoping Herm is a happy medium between Vermiel (double fake reverse flea-flicker on 3rd and 1) and Marty (hand the ball to Donnell Bennett up the middle on 3rd and 10 after doing it on 1st and 2nd down already). I'm salivating over play-action potential to TG/Kennison/Sammie after we have run LJ down their throats. Hopefully Solari is the offensive mastermind that I am. :)

tyton75
07-23-2006, 02:07 PM
Chiefs | Days of big-play offense appear to be gone
Sun, 23 Jul 2006 12:16:15 -0700

Adam Teicher, of the Kansas City Star, reports the Kansas City Chiefs days of having a big-play offense appear to be gone now that head coach Herman Edwards has control of the team. QB Trent Green said, "I've had many meetings with coach Edwards and talked with him about what his game plan is and what his style is in terms of game management. We talked about the way we were a big-play offense and the way we really threw the ball around and those kinds of things. If we're winning, that's great. I don't have a problem with that."

greg63
07-23-2006, 02:09 PM
from Edwards himself~

As opposed to going three and out running the ball? I have to admit that I'm not quite sure how I feel about the return to Marty-ball.

greg63
07-23-2006, 02:10 PM
Dang I am ready for football to start.

Same here.

mlyonsd
07-23-2006, 02:14 PM
part of that was because we struggled to run the ball WHEN the other team knew we were going to run it.

people complained alot about saunders wild play calling but it seriously opened up our running game.

it will be interesting to see what happens this year IF the offense becomes more predictable under Solari/Edwards.

I share your concerns.

KCChiefsFan88
07-23-2006, 05:25 PM
Welcome back Martyball.

I can just smell the STINK of those conservative, play-not-to-win gameplans returning this fall.

I say it is time to bring Germ Warfare out of hiatus

Baby Lee
07-23-2006, 05:38 PM
Welcome back Martyball.

I can just smell the STINK of those conservative, play-not-to-win gameplans returning this fall.

I say it is time to bring Germ Warfare out of hiatus
How precisely do you differentiate the first 2/3 of the 2004 season where we were either tied or with a lead in EVERY SINGLE GAME in the 4th quarter, and ended up 3-8?
Point to me one time, once, in all of Marty's years here, where his 'philosophy' blew the lead or a tie in the 4th quarter in 8 of 11 games. Try to even come close.

It's like you're squatting in the Port Authority bathroom giving birth to Curly Jr, and complaining that the guy in the next stall's shit really stinks.