PDA

View Full Version : Introduced Myself to Fire Ants

jspchief
07-24-2006, 12:43 AM
I was on vacation in Dallas last week and had the pleasure of experiencing the fabled fire ant. My personal opinion is that they live up to the hype.

I have about 30 bites/stings on my left arm and leg. They've become attractive pus filled blisters at this point, but at least the burning and itching seems to have stopped.

Rausch
07-24-2006, 12:46 AM
I hear there's some strides being made introducing parasites into the local enviornment...

jspchief
07-24-2006, 12:52 AM
I hear there's some strides being made introducing parasites into the local enviornment...I watched a cool show about a fly that they were introducing. It lays it's egg inside the fire ant's torso, and when it hatches the larva basically eats the fire ant inside out from the head. The flys could decimate a colony in pretty short order.

The only question is whether the fly could survive the dry hot weather of the Southwest. I'd be interested to see how they are doing now.

|Zach|
07-24-2006, 12:53 AM
Thats rough.

Hope you start getting better.

When I first read this thread I thougth it said "Introduced myself to fine arts."

Rausch
07-24-2006, 12:55 AM
I watched a cool show about a fly that they were introducing. It lays it's egg inside the fire ant's torso, and when it hatches the larva basically eats the fire ant inside out from the head. The flys could decimate a colony in pretty short order.

The only question is whether the fly could survive the dry hot weather of the Southwest. I'd be interested to see how they are doing now.

If we're talking about the same program the flys start out as worms (not maggots.)

And they first tried ant lions, which just got completely ****ing ruined by fire ants...

jspchief
07-24-2006, 12:59 AM
Thats rough.

Hope you start getting better.

When I first read this thread I thougth it said "Introduced myself to fine arts."Fine arts rarely cause the same level of burning and blistering.

Rausch
07-24-2006, 01:05 AM
Fine arts rarely cause the same level of burning and blistering.

I take it you've never paid for a BA...

|Zach|
07-24-2006, 01:05 AM
Bazing.

Bob Dole
07-24-2006, 03:49 AM
Scientists can't find a solution to those things soon enough to suit Bob Dole. None of the chemical products seems to actually kill the damned things--they just move their mound 10 feet away. Your best hope is that you can get eventually get them all moved over to your neighbor's yard.