PDA

View Full Version : Revised prediction time: assumes Ty actually signs

Logical
07-24-2006, 02:59 AM
Defense is now improved to a top 15 but not top 10 caliber (DTs still holding us back along with LDE)

Offense (scoring) slips to a to the 10 to 15 range based on Herms philosophy loss of Saunders

Special teams improve in coverage significantly Pollard is a monster and all the young guys give us a boost

I would say 10-6 is almost a lock (assuming no major injuries) and 11-5 is now possible.

2nd in division with a wild card spot

StcChief
07-24-2006, 05:02 AM
10-6 or 11-5.
We beat Dungver in Incestco in week 2.

We edge out Dungver and win division.

QB contraversy in Dungver by mid season.

Logical
07-24-2006, 06:36 AM
10-6 or 11-5.

QB contraversy in Dungver by mid season.

I really doubt they have a QB controversy myself but we will see.

Mr. Kotter
07-24-2006, 07:00 AM
10-6 or 11-5.

QB contraversy in Dungver by mid season.Yup. 12-4, is possible if we start 2-0... :D

I like the fact that we play, IN Denver week 2 now. We got nothing to lose....away, versus the "Division Champ," we have a new coach and scheme with an aging offense. Expectations will be low....just the occasion for pulling one out there.

Jake throws 3 or 4 picks, and the controversy begins.....heh. :)

JimNasium
07-24-2006, 07:19 AM
10-6 which means we will need help to pull a wildcard.

the Talking Can
07-24-2006, 07:21 AM
yeah, 10-6 wild card...Denver still has our number until we prove otherwise

unless injuries bite us our offense will still be top 10...

D will hopefully be top 15, no way they are top 10 with these DTs, imho...

R&GHomer
07-24-2006, 07:33 AM
Call me a homer, but I think the O is going to be real close to what it's been the last few years and the D is going to Rock. DT's are a weakness, but I really think Sims is going to step up. If he doesn't this will be his last year. 11-5

ct
07-24-2006, 08:16 AM
I've been thinking a 9-7 or 10-6 season with what we had before Law. I think having Surtain/Law at CB can earn us another victory or 2. So 11-5, 12-4 sounds pretty impressive, on the optimistic side of the street. Still think Denver takes the AFC West tho.

htismaqe
07-24-2006, 08:39 AM
Call me a homer, but I think the O is going to be real close to what it's been the last few years and the D is going to Rock. DT's are a weakness, but I really think Sims is going to step up. If he doesn't this will be his last year. 11-5

I really want to get pumped for the season, but that Week 2 game against Denver just has "embarrassment" written all over it, just like every year.

Until we can go into Denver and at least give them a game, we're gonna be hard-pressed to get better.

If we win that game, however, all bets are off.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-24-2006, 08:51 AM
I guess after all these years of underachieving I can see why people are so skeptical. It creates a much lighter let down when the assumed inevitable occurs. I've said it before, I'm a homer. So, here's my .02 on the subject.

I think that the offense is just as good as it has been, maybe better. I'm a firm believer that if you smash the ball down the other teams throats you're gonna open up the playaction deep pass. I think we're gonna see quite a bit of that this year. The real question in my mind is can the wideouts do their part to make that successful. Barring injury I see this team continuing to put up between 27-30 pts a game.

The defense is a huge questionmark obviously. We have the best starting CB's in the league on paper. Our LB corp has DJ who has proven to be stud material. I also think this is Bell's first year truly non injured since 2003. It's time to find out if he can regain some of the form that had Pittsburg drooling over him after his rookie season. Kawika should be improved as time as gone on as well. The defensive line will be an improvement. I'm confident of this. I know Sims got hurt early in the year last year, but I thought he looked magnificant while he was in. This is his last chance and I think he knows it. Put up or shut up, and the guy seems to have the desire. If Hali is anything everyone is saying he is our line will get to the QB ESPECIALLY with the extra time are vamped up secondary is going to give them. I think our D is top 10 this year.

These predictions are based on very few non key injuries this year. I believe we go a minimum of 12-4, win our division, and make a deep run in the playoffs. Our schedule is easier this year, and we have a better squad. We also have a group of young men who know they left something on the field last year. I think this squad will be motivated, and I think they will be well coached. I have a very good feeling about the upcoming season.

Rausch
07-24-2006, 08:56 AM
11-5

Losses to Denber, Pitt, Seattle, Jasksonville, and perhaps the Tards...

the Talking Can
07-24-2006, 09:06 AM
I really want to get pumped for the season, but that Week 2 game against Denver just has "embarrassment" written all over it, just like every year.

Until we can go into Denver and at least give them a game, we're gonna be hard-pressed to get better.

If we win that game, however, all bets are off.

basically how I feel...until we beat Denver in Denver we haven't proven shit...that goes for players and coaches

jlscorpio
07-24-2006, 09:27 AM
19-0. Superbowl shutout.

htismaqe
07-24-2006, 09:27 AM
basically how I feel...until we beat Denver in Denver we haven't proven shit...that goes for players and coaches

We don't even have to beat Denver.

We just have to look like we BELONG ON THE FIELD.

Imon Yourside
07-24-2006, 09:44 AM
We sweep the donkeys, split with the Martyballs and end up tied for the division at 11-5. Go to Indy and beat the Moonings and lose our 2nd round game.

ChiefaRoo
07-24-2006, 09:49 AM
Denver in Denver is just one game guys. It's hard to win on the road in the AFC West as all the teams know each other very well. I want to see the Chiefs shut up the Donks fans too but to say one game on the road is a key to the season is wrong. I agree with htismage. KC needs to play well in Denver but I'd say the same thing about Oakland, SD and the rest of the AFC in general.

ck_IN
07-24-2006, 09:53 AM
I think Roaf tweaks a hammy and is on the shelf for 3 or 4 weeks. Black tries to fill in but can't and requires TE help to keep Green from getting killed. As a result the Offense backtracks during that stretch and is just enough of a difference to keep us out of the playoffs.

Eleazar
07-24-2006, 09:55 AM
"Actually signs"?

Are some still in denial here that a good personnel move was made?

JimNasium
07-24-2006, 09:58 AM
I think Roaf tweaks a hammy and is on the shelf for 3 or 4 weeks. Black tries to fill in but can't and requires TE help to keep Green from getting killed. As a result the Offense backtracks during that stretch and is just enough of a difference to keep us out of the playoffs.
This is a very scary and very realistic scenario.

htismaqe
07-24-2006, 10:02 AM
Denver in Denver is just one game guys. It's hard to win on the road in the AFC West as all the teams know each other very well. I want to see the Chiefs shut up the Donks fans too but to say one game on the road is a key to the season is wrong. I agree with htismage. KC needs to play well in Denver but I'd say the same thing about Oakland, SD and the rest of the AFC in general.

I'll say it again:

We don't have to WIN.

Unfortunately, under Vermeil, we looked like a high school team in Denver, getting absolutely trounced. That CANNOT happen this year if this team wants to be a legitimate contender.

chiefqueen
07-24-2006, 11:38 AM
Yup. 12-4, is possible if we start 2-0... :D

I like the fact that we play, IN Denver week 2 now. We got nothing to lose....away, versus the "Division Champ," we have a new coach and scheme with an aging offense. Expectations will be low....just the occasion for pulling one out there.

Jake throws 3 or 4 picks, and the controversy begins.....heh. :)

If we start 2-0 we'd better win the next one (home vs. SF). IMO a playoff caliber team should not lose to the niners @ home.

KCTitus
07-24-2006, 11:46 AM
This is a very scary and very realistic scenario.

It's also very 2005...

Cmon, if you're going to predict doom and gloom, at least put a little more imagination into it than replaying what happened last year.

Manila-Chief
07-24-2006, 01:44 PM

I am very pleased we signed Law. But, from what I have read regarding Herm's O philosophy we are going back to Marty ball on O. Thus, our O will not score nearly as many points as last year. Therefore, the D will have to be much better than last year. I blieve we will be improved to the middle of the pack on D. If we could have had that last year .... wow, what a dream. But, I now see that D.V. would never have had that good of a D. So, it is good we have Herm. But, this year we will need to be a top 5 D to make an impact if the O is reigned in.

I think LJ is going to have difficulty running like he did last year. Passing set up the run. Teams knew we were a "down the field passing attack" O and it helped our running game. When teams learn we are run oriented it will make running much more difficult. Yes, we can run coz we have an excellent OL ... but the question is ... can we gain enough yards to get us to the big dance. I don't think we will. Marty tried and tried but has never been there.

So, I say 9-7 or 10-6 ... unless Herm allows the O to attack at least part of the time to open up the O. I know the pieces of the O are all still in place and if Al and/or D.V. were running it I would say SB with our improved D.

I really hope I'm wrong and a balanced team with improved special team play can take us to the promise land. At the minimum I want one playoff win to shut up rival fans.

I would really like to eat crow in Feb.

htismaqe
07-24-2006, 01:46 PM
I am very pleased we signed Law. But, from what I have read regarding Herm's O philosophy we are going back to Marty ball on O. Thus, our O will not score nearly as many points as last year. Therefore, the D will have to be much better than last year. I blieve we will be improved to the middle of the pack on D. If we could have had that last year .... wow, what a dream. But, I now see that D.V. would never have had that good of a D. So, it is good we have Herm. But, this year we will need to be a top 5 D to make an impact if the O is reigned in.

I think LJ is going to have difficulty running like he did last year. Passing set up the run. Teams knew we were a "down the field passing attack" O and it helped our running game. When teams learn we are run oriented it will make running much more difficult. Yes, we can run coz we have an excellent OL ... but the question is ... can we gain enough yards to get us to the big dance. I don't think we will. Marty tried and tried but has never been there.

So, I say 9-7 or 10-6 ... unless Herm allows the O to attack at least part of the time to open up the O. I know the pieces of the O are all still in place and if Al and/or D.V. were running it I would say SB with our improved D.

I really hope I'm wrong and a balanced team with improved special team play can take us to the promise land. At the minimum I want one playoff win to shut up rival fans.

I would really like to eat crow in Feb.

ROFL

Maybe you should spend less time reading doom and gloom predictions here and actually listen to what's coming out of Herm's mouth.

He's not gonna **** up the offense.

JimNasium
07-24-2006, 01:54 PM
It's also very 2005...

Cmon, if you're going to predict doom and gloom, at least put a little more imagination into it than replaying what happened last year.
I'm not sure that he's completely back from that injury and he's not getting any younger. No imagination required.

MahiMike
07-24-2006, 02:19 PM
I like your assessment. 10-7 maybe a 11-6 with a few bounces the right way. I was just talking to a Steelers fan here at work. I told him that if Willie Roaf only misses 3 games instead of 4, his team doesn't even get into the playoffs - let alone win it. Guess it was meant to be. I'm thinking w/Al Saunders gone, so are our chances. But who knows...

htismaqe
07-24-2006, 02:29 PM
Yeah, without Al "Jesus" Saunders, our offense will be average at best.

We have no chance.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-24-2006, 02:34 PM

We have no chance.

ROFL I've never laughed so hard at a nickname before.

"Don't f*ck wit da Jesus." (2)

Manila-Chief
07-24-2006, 02:36 PM
ROFL

Maybe you should spend less time reading doom and gloom predictions here and actually listen to what's coming out of Herm's mouth.

He's not gonna **** up the offense.

My prediction is not from reading "doom and gloom" here. It is based upon what Herm and Trent Green have said in the K.C. Star and from other sports news items. Yes, when he was first hired Herm said he will leave the offense alone and allow it to keep on scoring. But, since then he has backed way off of that comment. He has talked about running to control the clock. Green said he has had lots of talk with Herm is okay with Herm's offense as long as they are winning. Sounds like change to me.

htismaqe
07-24-2006, 02:49 PM
My prediction is not from reading "doom and gloom" here. It is based upon what Herm and Trent Green have said in the K.C. Star and from other sports news items. Yes, when he was first hired Herm said he will leave the offense alone and allow it to keep on scoring. But, since then he has backed way off of that comment. He has talked about running to control the clock. Green said he has had lots of talk with Herm is okay with Herm's offense as long as they are winning. Sounds like change to me.

You do realize that over the last 8 games of last season, we ran the ball more than all but 2 or 3 teams in the league?

What you've done is taken one comment by Herm about rushing attempts and jumped to the conclusion that we're returning to Martyball.

I'd venture to guess you can't even DEFINE Martyball.

Manila-Chief
07-24-2006, 02:56 PM

We have no chance.

Sorry, if all of us don't buy into your thinking. I tend to be a little more realistic. I hope that is still allowed here?

I'm not lamenting Al being gone. Mike S. can run the offense if given the chance. But, it sounds to me as if Herm will not allow him to run an attacking offense. Marty won during the regular season, but his offense was in trouble in the playoffs.

Now, Herm's philosophy is okay with me .... if we were in a rebuilding mode. I agree with him ... it is about winning not having the #1 offense. But, for the last 3 to 4 years our offense was good enough that all we needed was 2 or 3 more stops a game from the defense. (I believe it was D.V.'s fault that we didn't improve on D.) Thus, with our O still clicking like last year then the signing of Law along with Herm, a defensive minded HC, was the piece of the puzzle we needed. But, if they pull the offense back we will not have 17 point leads to protect so we can run the ball at the end of the game.

Nope, not played a game yet, nor have we even had one practice session yet, so I may be all wrong. If I am then a more optomistic prediction will be in order.

BIG_DADDY
07-24-2006, 02:57 PM

It's 3rd down and all we need is 5 yards so throw for 2. :banghead: :mad:
:cuss:

htismaqe
07-24-2006, 03:11 PM
Sorry, if all of us don't buy into your thinking. I tend to be a little more realistic. I hope that is still allowed here?

I'm not lamenting Al being gone. Mike S. can run the offense if given the chance. But, it sounds to me as if Herm will not allow him to run an attacking offense. Marty won during the regular season, but his offense was in trouble in the playoffs.

Now, Herm's philosophy is okay with me .... if we were in a rebuilding mode. I agree with him ... it is about winning not having the #1 offense. But, for the last 3 to 4 years our offense was good enough that all we needed was 2 or 3 more stops a game from the defense. (I believe it was D.V.'s fault that we didn't improve on D.) Thus, with our O still clicking like last year then the signing of Law along with Herm, a defensive minded HC, was the piece of the puzzle we needed. But, if they pull the offense back we will not have 17 point leads to protect so we can run the ball at the end of the game.

Nope, not played a game yet, nor have we even had one practice session yet, so I may be all wrong. If I am then a more optomistic prediction will be in order.

I'm sorry, I forgot this was Chiefsplanet.

Negative = "realist"

I happen to have based my opinion on actually listening to what Herm said and taking it at face value rather than trying to read into it.

Besides, as the part in bold indicates, you don't know the difference between smashmouth football and Martyocrity.

Martyball <> running the ball 10 more times a game to protect a lead.

the Talking Can
07-24-2006, 03:13 PM
any true Martyball includes humping the RB's girlfriend...

R&GHomer
07-24-2006, 03:18 PM

Negative = "realist"

I happen to have based my opinion on actually listening to what Herm said and taking it at face value rather than trying to read into it.

Besides, as the part in bold indicates, you don't know the difference between smashmouth football and Martyocrity.

Exactly, Marty used to play not to loose. Herm has made it pretty clear that he plays to win. I still think we are going to pass quite a bit this season, just more play action, and intermediate stuff. As long as we don't have a lot of injuries this offense should still be a lot of fun to watch, we will get our points. You watch. We might not have numerous games with 35+ points, but hopefully if we do, we still don't end up loosing :cuss: wow that just pisses me off thinking about it.

keg in kc
07-24-2006, 03:53 PM
I think the change in philosophy is going to lead to a 12-4 or 13-3 season. I think Edwards was the perfect hire because he utilizes most of Vermeil's strengths but not his weaknesses. We'll play younger talented players over incumbent veterans, and I think we have a defense with a few young, hungry, ascending players that combined with veterans like Law and Surtain will improve drastically.

The only thing that can stop us is injuries. We have to stay healthy. The age of the offense is scary.

Logical
07-24-2006, 04:21 PM

Negative = "realist"

I am guessing you missed this inteview that Herm gave on 5/20/06.

EDWARDS: “Just in different scenarios in the game, we’re going to play the game a little differently. The game will dictate who we play and how we play. I’m not saying we’re going to just exclusively run the ball, but if you look at us last year we threw about 523 passes and ran the ball about 505 times, somewhere in that vicinity. I anticipate if we’re playing with a lead, we’re going to run the ball more than we did last year and not worry about continuing to try and get a 17 point lead. I think at times when you’re in games, especially on the road, you have to be able to run the ball if you’re going to win on the road in a hostile environment. That’s how you take care of your opponents. When you go on the road, you run the ball and control the clock. I think we have a great offensive line, we’ve got a heck of a running back and there’s going to be times when we need to pound it a little bit more.”

Q: So the offense is going to change?

EDWARDS: “Yeah, a little bit. You might not see as many passes, but at the end of the day the object is to win the game and the object is to play together as a unit. Sometimes your offense has to protect your defense. You can’t always go three-and-out and put your defense back on the field. You’d like to have your defense fresh in the fourth quarter and the way they stay fresh is you collectively, offensively, control the clock. You control the clock when you run and pass. We have to be able to do both.”

Manila-Chief
07-24-2006, 05:01 PM
Thanks Logical ...

Hammock Parties
07-24-2006, 05:04 PM
I think we'll go 12-4 and win the Super Bowl.

Losses @Arizona, @Miami, @Cleveland and some other freak game.

Calcountry
07-24-2006, 06:39 PM

Losses @Arizona, @Miami, @Cleveland and some other freak game.How are the Rangers doing? How many games are left now?

Still a long time to go, but this is starting to get rediculous. Why doesn't somebody put the A's away?

2bikemike
07-24-2006, 07:15 PM
I'm thinking 11-5 as long as the O-line and Trent stay healthy. If the O-line breaks down or Trent goes down were fugged.

wazu
07-24-2006, 07:17 PM
For the first time in years I am predicting 11-5.

Hammock Parties
07-24-2006, 07:37 PM
How are the Rangers doing? How many games are left now?

Still a long time to go, but this is starting to get rediculous. Why doesn't somebody put the A's away?

We're doing fine. Eaton is starting tomorrow I think. Padilla and Millwood are really doing well....very consistent. Bullpen is really doing great, Coco is dominating in the setup role.

SBK
07-24-2006, 07:43 PM

Losses @Arizona, @Miami, @Cleveland and some other freak game.

@ Cleveland is a freak loss. I have a die hard Browns fan in the family and he was pissed we play there late in the season because they are the exact opposite of the Chiefs at home in Dec.

Logical
07-24-2006, 09:31 PM
@ Cleveland is a freak loss. I have a die hard Browns fan in the family and he was pissed we play there late in the season because they are the exact opposite of the Chiefs at home in Dec.I think Romeo is really turning them around so I would not conisider that a freak if we lose.

hypersensitiveZO6
07-24-2006, 09:35 PM
:clap:

I like the non homerism.

Hammock Parties
07-24-2006, 09:38 PM
@ Cleveland is a freak loss. I have a die hard Browns fan in the family and he was pissed we play there late in the season because they are the exact opposite of the Chiefs at home in Dec.

That's interesting. Anyway, I'm expecting losses in those games. I think we'll win in Denver and Pittsburgh...two overrated teams. Denver's got no one on offense that scares me now that we signed Ty Law. We already know our offense owns their defense.

hypersensitiveZO6
07-24-2006, 09:44 PM
That's interesting. Anyway, I'm expecting losses in those games. I think we'll win in Denver and Pittsburgh...two overrated teams. Denver's got no one on offense that scares me now that we signed Ty Law. We already know our offense owns their defense.Too bad our offense goes from a sexy Jessica Alba to a Rhonda Moss at Mile High. :shake:

KChiefs1
07-24-2006, 10:06 PM
I know this won't make sense but what happens in week 2 could determine the division title. The Chiefs notoriously don't beat Denver in Denver, except when they are clearly the better team. IF the Chiefs go into Denver week 2 & beat the Donko's I believe it makes a statement. I know some will say it's only week 2 & Denver has to come to Arrowhead, but going into Denver week 2 would show everyone & even the Chiefs themselves just how good they can be...week 2 could be a HUGE game for the 2006 season.

Hammock Parties
07-24-2006, 10:23 PM
Too bad our offense goes from a sexy Jessica Alba to a Rhonda Moss at Mile High. :shake:

That's not entirely true. Our offense was great there in 2003. It was OK in 2004. The defense really blew it in both of those games.

Last year the offense sucked, but our two starting offensive tackles were out.

When our offense is healthy, DENVER CANNOT STOP IT.

alanm
07-24-2006, 11:41 PM
If that were to happen and Turley is capable, I could see them putting him over at LT and using Sampson or Switek running at RT. I think Brett Williams and Black get the axe the last week of TC.

beer bacon
07-24-2006, 11:46 PM

I think we will go 10-6 and miss the playoffs. The games that will kill our season will be:

@home against the Eagles: We give up a huge lead. McNabb and Owens destroy us.

@Buffalo: Costly turnovers ruin a good defensive performance. We will lose 14-3.

@NY Giants: Defense reverts to 2004 form. Tiki runs wild with 200+ yards rushing.

alanm
07-24-2006, 11:48 PM
I think the change in philosophy is going to lead to a 12-4 or 13-3 season. I think Edwards was the perfect hire because he utilizes most of Vermeil's strengths but not his weaknesses. We'll play younger talented players over incumbent veterans, and I think we have a defense with a few young, hungry, ascending players that combined with veterans like Law and Surtain will improve drastically.

The only thing that can stop us is injuries. We have to stay healthy. The age of the offense is scary.
Ixnay on the 13-3 record ay. :shake:

alanm
07-24-2006, 11:51 PM
I know this won't make sense but what happens in week 2 could determine the division title. The Chiefs notoriously don't beat Denver in Denver, except when they are clearly the better team. IF the Chiefs go into Denver week 2 & beat the Donko's I believe it makes a statement. I know some will say it's only week 2 & Denver has to come to Arrowhead, but going into Denver week 2 would show everyone & even the Chiefs themselves just how good they can be...week 2 could be a HUGE game for the 2006 season.
Yep.

Sorry guys just catching up. :)

MahiMike
07-25-2006, 06:55 AM
You do realize that over the last 8 games of last season, we ran the ball more than all but 2 or 3 teams in the league?

What you've done is taken one comment by Herm about rushing attempts and jumped to the conclusion that we're returning to Martyball.

Definition of MartyBall: Run on 1st down, run on 2nd down, pass on 3rd down, punt on 4th.

I love to run the ball (behind this line) as much as the next guy. But there's nothing more important than mixing up your play calling and catching the defense off-balance.

THAT my friends is why we'll be crying for Al Saunders in November. By that time, the Herminator will have destroyed our once fine offensive machine.