PDA

View Full Version : How good is the Law signing?

King_Chief_Fan
07-24-2006, 06:51 AM
I hate another Ty Law thread too. However, now that most have climaxed over this, how good was this signing?

Law had 10 interceptions. This may have been partly due to him taking some gambles that paid off. Easy to do on a losing team. Why did he have so many passes his direction? Doesn't seem to me you throw at the strength side unless there is a reason. Could the reason be that the opposition was hoping for a penalty? Maybe, as he had as many critical penalties as he had interceptions.

So how good is this signing?

Now, having some doublt, I still say he is better than what we have had. Surtain and Law CB tandem is fairly stout.

DaKCMan AP
07-24-2006, 06:53 AM
This guy can change the way we play defense. We now have 2 CB's who can be put on islands against WRs. That allows more aggressive blitzing and coverage schemes. It also helps us a lot considering the way Gun plays his CBs. Gun doesn't play CB #1 and #2, he plays RCB and LCB. What teams could do is take their #1 WR and match him up with our weaker corner by just moving said WR to the other side of the field. Now that we have great CBs on both sides, teams can't gain such an advantage.

Law will also bring an attitude and a swagger that this defense hasn't had since DT.

Amnorix
07-24-2006, 06:57 AM
This guy can change the way we play defense. We now have 2 CB's who can be put on islands against WRs. That allows more aggressive blitzing and coverage schemes. It also helps us a lot considering the way Gun plays his CBs. Gun doesn't play CB #1 and #2, he plays RCB and LCB. What teams could do is take their #1 WR and match him up with our weaker corner by just moving said WR to the other side of the field. Now that we have great CBs on both sides, teams can't gain such an advantage.

Law will also bring an attitude and a swagger that this defense hasn't had since DT.

Agree with the first paragraph, by and large.

The second paragraph is kind of interesting. One thing to understand about Law -- good, smart, tough player and a great guy. Very, very solid teammate. NOT A LEADER. Has never been a Captain. He does individual workouts, and will be one of the first out of the locker room after a game.

He's never been a team captain (tough for a CB to be one anyway, IMHO), and doesn't really have leadership skills.

I'm not really knocking him. Some people are great leaders, and others aren't. He's not interested in it, and doesn't do it.

Don't get me wrong -- this isn't sour grapes -- I'd love to have him back on the Pats. He's a damn good player and you guys will be plenty happy with what he does on the field.

DaKCMan AP
07-24-2006, 07:01 AM

The second paragraph is kind of interesting. One thing to understand about Law -- good, smart, tough player and a great guy. Very, very solid teammate. NOT A LEADER. Has never been a Captain. He does individual workouts, and will be one of the first out of the locker room after a game.

He's never been a team captain (tough for a CB to be one anyway, IMHO), and doesn't really have leadership skills.

I'm not really knocking him. Some people are great leaders, and others aren't. He's not interested in it, and doesn't do it.

Don't get me wrong -- this isn't sour grapes -- I'd love to have him back on the Pats. He's a damn good player and you guys will be plenty happy with what he does on the field.

I understand that. I don't expect him to be a vocal leader. Law has an ego the size of Texas. That confidence and conceit is what I expect to rub off on the others.

Amnorix
07-24-2006, 07:02 AM
I understand that. I don't expect him to be a vocal leader. Law has an ego the size of Texas. That confidence and conceit is what I expect to rub off on the others.

It could. I think onfield confidence usually goes from inside to outside. The interior linebacker(s) and safeties calling signals, etc.

CBs seem to me to be a bit too isolated to greatly influence confidence across the entire defense. But you might be right. I dunno.

StcChief
07-24-2006, 07:10 AM
Though he is his own man, more individual player.
His solid play will influence the others at CB/FS/SS to make the secondary much stronger.

He is solid enough that coverage on WRs will give D Line and DEs the extra time to apply more pressure to QB.

ChiefsFan4Life
07-24-2006, 07:15 AM
Of course it is good

We are replacing LENNY ****ING WALLS with TY LAW - there is no debate this was a good signing

the Talking Can
07-24-2006, 07:15 AM
We got Law.

The Pats got Warfield.

You decide.

Hound333
07-24-2006, 08:15 AM
I think its a great signing. Ive been hoping we did something like this for months. (I felt they would do the same as last year and stand pat) We only got a few years left for this offense, if not only one year. Have to take a chance now.

petegz28
07-24-2006, 08:20 AM
Law is a presence on the field. He makes QB's think twice about going his way and he shoudl give our pass rush some confidence and much needed help.

Just having him on the field makes everyone else better.

I believe in the philosophy of you play as well as the guy next to you.

recxjake
07-24-2006, 08:22 AM
We got Law.

The Pats got Warfield.

You decide.

hmm, we agree on something

crispystl
07-24-2006, 08:38 AM
Well it can't ****in hurt! Are you crazy?

htismaqe
07-24-2006, 08:41 AM

Trent Green is the undisputed leader of this team. On defense, Mitchell is really emerging as the field general we need him to be.

We don't need Law to be a leader, we need him to PRODUCE. I think he can do that.

penguinz
07-24-2006, 08:57 AM
I think its a great signing. Ive been hoping we did something like this for months. (I felt they would do the same as last year and stand pat) We only got a few years left for this offense, if not only one year. Have to take a chance now.How do you call trading for surtain, signing knight and bell, drafting DJ standing pat?

sd4chiefs
07-24-2006, 09:17 AM
Amnorix

Does Law commit costly penalties at the worst time in a game? Now that he is older I am afraid that he will be like Dale Carter and do something stupid at the end of a close game.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-24-2006, 09:19 AM

Finally some honesty. Whether he does, or doesn't, at least someone is willing to step up and say f*ck yeah we wanted him back.

(5)

Logical
07-24-2006, 09:21 AM
IMO it is significant enough that I made this statement in another thread.

Let me just say I believe we are positioned to have the best secondary the Chiefs have had in many years for the next 3 to 4 years. The key in my mind is transitioning Battle to free safety and developing Pollard's coverage skills for the strong safety position. I would think Knight has 1 maybe 2 good years left to ease the transition.

htismaqe
07-24-2006, 09:23 AM
How do you call trading for surtain, signing knight and bell, drafting DJ standing pat?

ROFL

the Talking Can
07-24-2006, 09:23 AM
How do you call trading for surtain, signing knight and bell, drafting DJ standing pat?

lexicon

Piper
07-24-2006, 09:33 AM
Amnorix

Does Law commit costly penalties at the worst time in a game? Now that he is older I am afraid that he will be like Dale Carter and do something stupid at the end of a close game.

Jets fan here to answer your question based on last year.

The answer is yes.

No doubt he will improve your defense. But he does have monents that make you say WTF. Times he plays 15 yards off on 3rd and 4. Times he takes bad penalties. And times he avoids a tackle like the plague.

Maybe last year it was because he was still coming back from the foot. Or maybe it is becuase he isn't the same player he was due to age and rules changes.

Good luck with him. I assume he will stay interested as long as you contend, but I suspect a big reason he is in KC is because Hermy lets him do whatever he wants, when he wants (practice, work out, show up for meetings, even play)

htismaqe
07-24-2006, 09:55 AM
Amnorix

Law made alot of mistakes last year with costly penalties and taking risks then getting burned.

In the end, though, you have to take the good with the bad. And his "good" is far greater, while his "bad" is MUCH less, than McCleon and Warfield.

BIG_DADDY
07-24-2006, 10:06 AM
Law made alot of mistakes last year with costly penalties and taking risks then getting burned.

In the end, though, you have to take the good with the bad. And his "good" is far greater, while his "bad" is MUCH less, than McCleon and Warfield.

Most players coming off a serious injury also play better the 2nd year. I am hoping that is the case here.

Amnorix
07-24-2006, 10:06 AM
Finally some honesty. Whether he does, or doesn't, at least someone is willing to step up and say f*ck yeah we wanted him back.

(5)

Anybody who doesn't think Ty Law makes a team better is a schmuck. It's that simple. He's tough, driven, plays through pain and is a proven winner. WTF wouldn't want him on their team?

htismaqe
07-24-2006, 10:07 AM
Anybody who doesn't think Ty Law makes a team better is a schmuck. It's that simple. He's tough, driven, plays through pain and is a proven winner. WTF wouldn't want him on their team?

Jets fans, that's who.

Talk about a bunch of sore, pathetic losers. They're more bitter than us.

Mr. Laz
07-24-2006, 10:11 AM
i would of preferred getting Law last year for the 1 year "prove it" deal and then moving on to a more permanent solution this year.

but ........ having said that

He's definitely an upgrade over what we have. He's better than warfield even at age 32. He's better than Lenny Walls and pretty much every other corner we have outside of Patrick Surtain.

i just hope we aren't a year late......

Amnorix
07-24-2006, 10:11 AM
Amnorix

I can't speak much for what he did with the Jets last year. Whatever he did there needs to be taken with a bit of a grain of salt due ot his coming back from an injury.

He's a daredevil risk-taker. He'll go for the INT and get burned on occassion. He's aggressive, so he'll get the pass interference call.

He never had any particular penchant for horrible-timed penalties that I ever noticed. I mean, there's never a GOOD time for pass-interference. But I don't recall going "pass interference on 3rd and 15 when the opponent was at their own 5 yard line AGAIN?! WTF?!?!" Definitely not.

But, obviously, he's on the wrong side of 30. Hopefully he accepts his body's limitations and doesn't start making dumb mistakes. One thing about Law -- he's a smart, heady player. DUMB mistakes were never really an issue with him.

htismaqe
07-24-2006, 10:13 AM
One thing about Law -- he's a smart, heady player. DUMB mistakes were never really an issue with him.

That's what separates him from Dale Carter.

Amnorix
07-24-2006, 10:15 AM
Jets fans, that's who.

The Jets had a hellua lot of problems all over the field last year. A HELLUVA lot.

To think Law, or the second coming of Deion Sanders on one side and Michael Haynes on the other, could've saved that team from itself is a joke.

The Jets getting rid of Bradway (their former GM) was a sad day for the rest of the AFC East. That guy was a moron with a capital "M".

But, being Jets fans, they gotta yell at somebody, and yelling at the rookie backup who is filling in for yet another injured starter seems unfair, so let's go for Law... :shrug:

Amnorix
07-24-2006, 10:16 AM
That's what separates him from Dale Carter.

If you get to know him you'll see plenty. On the field and off he's knows WTF he is doing. He's a good interviewee too. Tends to give good answers that are more thoughtful than the standard line.

King_Chief_Fan
07-24-2006, 10:19 AM
Jets fan here to answer your question based on last year.

The answer is yes.

No doubt he will improve your defense. But he does have monents that make you say WTF. Times he plays 15 yards off on 3rd and 4. Times he takes bad penalties. And times he avoids a tackle like the plague.

Maybe last year it was because he was still coming back from the foot. Or maybe it is becuase he isn't the same player he was due to age and rules changes.

Good luck with him. I assume he will stay interested as long as you contend, but I suspect a big reason he is in KC is because Hermy lets him do whatever he wants, when he wants (practice, work out, show up for meetings, even play)

we will take that with a certain grain of salt.
Jet fans......are they really Giants fans who could not get tickets?

DaKCMan AP
07-24-2006, 10:21 AM
If you get to know him you'll see plenty. On the field and off he's knows WTF he is doing. He's a good interviewee too. Tends to give good answers that are more thoughtful than the standard line.

"Hell, we all gotta eat."

Rain Man
07-24-2006, 10:23 AM
He's a daredevil risk-taker. He'll go for the INT and get burned on occassion. He's aggressive, so he'll get the pass interference call.

I can live with that.

Mr. Laz
07-24-2006, 10:24 AM
Jet fans......are they really Giants fans who could not get tickets?
ROFL ROFL

htismaqe
07-24-2006, 10:34 AM
The Jets had a hellua lot of problems all over the field last year. A HELLUVA lot.

To think Law, or the second coming of Deion Sanders on one side and Michael Haynes on the other, could've saved that team from itself is a joke.

The Jets getting rid of Bradway (their former GM) was a sad day for the rest of the AFC East. That guy was a moron with a capital "M".

But, being Jets fans, they gotta yell at somebody, and yelling at the rookie backup who is filling in for yet another injured starter seems unfair, so let's go for Law... :shrug:

Be careful what you say about Terry Bradway. He cut his teeth right here in KC as Carl's protege...

Piper
07-24-2006, 10:38 AM
Jets fans, that's who.

The only reason Jets fans don't want Law is because we are clearly rebuilding and it would be a waste of cash and cap space to have him this year or next.

htismaqe
07-24-2006, 10:38 AM
The only reason Jets fans don't want Law is because we are clearly rebuilding and it would be a waste of cash and cap space to have him this year or next.

Clearly rebuilding = every year for the Jets.

Piper
07-24-2006, 10:41 AM
Clearly rebuilding = every year for the Jets.

Funny quote coming from a fan of a team with even less playoff success than the Jets

Enjoy Hermy.

KingPriest2
07-24-2006, 10:42 AM

Charger fans

http://forum.signonsandiego.com/upload/showthread.php?p=2109660#post2109660

Dave Lane
07-24-2006, 10:43 AM
Funny quote coming from a fan of a team with even less playoff success than the Jets

Enjoy Hermy.

I hope even he can't overcome the talent we have here.

Dave

Eleazar
07-24-2006, 10:44 AM

Enjoy Hermy.

Your front office < all other front offices.

There's actually some talent in Kansas City.

Husky4506
07-24-2006, 10:48 AM
Playing some Madden and guess who picked off Philip Rivers first pass? Oh Yes Ty Law

BIG_DADDY
07-24-2006, 10:49 AM

Enjoy Hermy.

Piper ROFL

the Talking Can
07-24-2006, 10:51 AM

Enjoy Hermy.

uh, you went to the playoffs with him....based on that, we will enjoy him...

htismaqe
07-24-2006, 11:07 AM

Enjoy Hermy.

Wow, I had to look around for a minute before I realized that I'm a Chiefs fan and this is a Chiefs message board.

Shock of shocks!

RedThat
07-24-2006, 11:28 AM

Yeah. That's a fair way of putting it.

RedThat
07-24-2006, 11:37 AM
I like this signing.

I think it is a solid signing. I think he will definately make this team better.

But this signing makes me feel more comfortable going into training camp.
Just knowing that, we didn't really have a proven CB outside of Surtain and signing Law is an ideal move.

What more can we ask for? He's the most established CB in the league.
I speak on behalf of all his past accomplishments. And for us to get him this late in the off-season is a fortunate thing for Kansas City.

I didn't think we'd be fine with Walls. I do like Marcus Maxey but not to start right away. This is why signing Law makes sense. It gives us a proven veteran to help the young guys like Maxey out. And I think he could be an excellent FS. There is a lot of what he can do for this team. No question he gives us flexibility.

*But I still think having a passrush is key to a successful pass defense.
We'll see how Tamba Hali does. getting him to camp on time is important.
I'm still wating to see Ryan Sims improve. I've been saying that for the last 3 years ROFL

The D-line for me is a ?...But it still doesn't hurt to sign Law. Much better than the other guys we had. Have to agree with what others said there.

Jenson71
07-24-2006, 11:38 AM
So when we play the Raiders, will Surtain line up with Moss, or will it be Law?

htismaqe
07-24-2006, 11:45 AM

Surtain will line up on his side and Law will line up on his side. They won't be "matched up" on anyone in particular.

DaKCMan AP
07-24-2006, 11:45 AM

That will depend on which side of the field the 'duhs will position Moss.

ARROW2
07-24-2006, 11:56 AM
It could. I think onfield confidence usually goes from inside to outside. The interior linebacker(s) and safeties calling signals, etc.

CBs seem to me to be a bit too isolated to greatly influence confidence across the entire defense. But you might be right. I dunno.

Uh, remember the effect Deion Sanders used to have on a defense?

Amnorix
07-24-2006, 12:00 PM
Uh, remember the effect Deion Sanders used to have on a defense?

1. Deion Sanders was hardly the only talented guy on the good defenses he played on.

2. Much as I like Ty Law, I must say he isn't a Deion Sanders, who might be one of the top 2 or 3 CBs who ever suited up at that position (much as I don't care for the man personally).

Mr. Laz
07-24-2006, 12:03 PM

i think some of that could of had to do with his injury and his body not be able to do some things that it used to.

2nd year off of injury ... his body with be better and he will be more adjusted to his abilities.

i also think that Law was sacrificing alot for big Int numbers to push for this final contract.

hopefully he will take a bigger team picture look at his performance this year.

He won't get 10 ints ... but will be a more consistant player.

*cross fingers*

htismaqe
07-24-2006, 12:09 PM
i think some of that could of had to do with his injury and his body not be able to do some things that it used to.

2nd year off of injury ... his body with be better and he will be more adjusted to his abilities.

i also think that Law was sacrificing alot for big Int numbers to push for this final contract.

hopefully he will take a bigger team picture look at his performance this year.

He won't get 10 ints ... but will be a more consistant player.

*cross fingers*

Not to mention the fact that he spent last offseason in a wheelchair and spent last TC getting into shape.

This offseason he's been working out and will spend TC learning the system instead.

All in all, should be a very good addition.

Jenson71
07-24-2006, 12:12 PM
Surtain will line up on his side and Law will line up on his side. They won't be "matched up" on anyone in particular.

Who do you think is better between Surtain and Law?

the Talking Can
07-24-2006, 12:13 PM
Who do you think is better between Surtain and Law?

Law

ARROW2
07-24-2006, 12:15 PM
1. Deion Sanders was hardly the only talented guy on the good defenses he played on.

2. Much as I like Ty Law, I must say he isn't a Deion Sanders, who might be one of the top 2 or 3 CBs who ever suited up at that position (much as I don't care for the man personally).

The point is, a CB CAN have an effect on an entire defense and a team with his swagger and leadership. I don't buy the thought that a CB can't be a leader because he lines up outside. That is moronic...

Also, is Law the ONLY talented player on THIS defense?

Jenson71
07-24-2006, 12:17 PM
Law

Is this how most people feel?

Mr. Laz
07-24-2006, 12:20 PM
i don't know about that ....... i think Surtain will do much better with a more consistent defensive plan and better overall secondary play.

warfield was a problem ... he couldn't stay focused enough to play man and he wasn't quick enough to play zone. It screwed with our whole defensive scheme imo.

the Talking Can
07-24-2006, 12:20 PM
don't know...

maybe just because I've watched Law more over his career...but he has a physical style of play I love at CB...

KingPriest2
07-24-2006, 12:24 PM
Not to mention the fact that he spent last offseason in a wheelchair and spent last TC getting into shape.

This offseason he's been working out and will spend TC learning the system instead.

All in all, should be a very good addition.

And we have a winner! :toast:

This is the one thing that everyone has forgotten.

htismaqe
07-24-2006, 12:29 PM
Surtain > Law

At least IMO.

Amnorix
07-24-2006, 12:33 PM
The point is, a CB CAN have an effect on an entire defense and a team with his swagger and leadership. I don't buy the thought that a CB can't be a leader because he lines up outside. That is moronic...

Also, is Law the ONLY talented player on THIS defense?

I agree, although I think being a CB is a strike against any player trying to show leadership qualities.

Team captain's aren't usually CBs or WRs -- it's just the nature of the position.

All that aside, as I've stated elsewhere, maybe his swagger will rub off or whatever, but Law has never been known for outright leadership. It's not part of the package he brings.

And, again, as I've stated elsewhere, I think he brings a hellua lot. Just not leadership.

DaKCMan AP
07-24-2006, 12:38 PM
I said this last year when we signed him, but I think Surtain is the best cover corner in the league and one of the top 3-4 corners overall. He's not as physical as Law or as athletic as Bailey or Hall, but he has amazing coverage skills, IMO.

For me, Surtain > Law

tk13
07-24-2006, 12:43 PM
I think so. Law is probably my favorite CB in the league. If he would've been healthy I'd rather had him than Surtain last year, although it all worked out in the end. I don't think he has Surtain's speed and athletic ability, but he's just a smart football player. That's nothing against Surtain, I'm just a big Law fan. Part of it is probably from watching him outsmart and toy with Manning over the years. Not many CB's could do that.

StcChief
07-24-2006, 12:44 PM
I said this last year when we signed him, but I think Surtain is the best cover corner in the league and one of the top 3-4 corners overall. He's not as physical as Law or as athletic as Bailey or Hall, but he has amazing coverage skills, IMO.

For me, Surtain > Law

But all aside... Law > Warfield + Walls

The combination will make anyone's QB/WR earn their catches.

the Talking Can
07-24-2006, 12:45 PM
... That's nothing against Surtain, I'm just a big Law fan. Part of it is probably from watching him outsmart and toy with Manning over the years. Not many CB's could do that.

yeah

ARROW2
07-24-2006, 02:21 PM
I agree, although I think being a CB is a strike against any player trying to show leadership qualities.

Team captain's aren't usually CBs or WRs -- it's just the nature of the position.

All that aside, as I've stated elsewhere, maybe his swagger will rub off or whatever, but Law has never been known for outright leadership. It's not part of the package he brings.

And, again, as I've stated elsewhere, I think he brings a hellua lot. Just not leadership.

You mean "vocal" leadership? Making plays is leadership by example and pumps up a defense. Three rings...Who else on our team has that? I am not saying he should be captian. I don't care about that anyway, I just want our D to imtimidate mofos..............

ARROW2
07-24-2006, 02:21 PM

You mean "vocal" leadership? Making plays is leadership by example and pumps up a defense. Three rings...Who else on our team has that? I am not saying he should be captian. I don't care about that anyway, I just want our D to intimidate mofos..............

Piper
07-24-2006, 02:25 PM
Your front office < all other front offices.

There's actually some talent in Kansas City.
Hermy will take care of that. His first edict in NY was to get Damien Robinson from TB. OMG did he suck. He also force Fat Teddy Cotrell to run a cover 2. Ouch.

There is talent in KC to be sure. Give it a little time.

Remember how Hermy's team looked against you guys on opening day.

htismaqe
07-24-2006, 02:37 PM
Hermy will take care of that. His first edict in NY was to get Damien Robinson from TB. OMG did he suck. He also force Fat Teddy Cotrell to run a cover 2. Ouch.

There is talent in KC to be sure. Give it a little time.

Remember how Hermy's team looked against you guys on opening day.

Thanks again for reminding us how bad he is.

We don't know what we'd do without you over here looking out for us.

Mecca
07-24-2006, 02:43 PM
Shouldn't the Jets fan be concerned about the fact that their new head coach is 33 and any assistants he wanted.......he didn't get because they didn't wanna work with him.

htismaqe
07-24-2006, 02:53 PM
Shouldn't the Jets fan be concerned about the fact that their new head coach is 33 and any assistants he wanted.......he didn't get because they didn't wanna work with him.

Nah, they feel sorry for us. They're team is solid, now that Herm is gone. They have all this pent-up pity that they feel compelled to heap on us.

Braincase
07-24-2006, 02:58 PM
Eric Warfield has 20 career picks in 8 years. Ty Law has 46 picks in 11 years, so you compare 2.5 picks per year to 4.18 picks per year... wait, lets compare that to games played... Law has 46 picks in 157 games, so .29 picks per game compared to 20 picks in 115 games for Warfield, so .17 picks per game.

Then there's tackles - Law has 578 tackles, so that's 3.68 per game, and Warfield has 345, which is a straight 3.

Law has 3 SB rings, Warfield has 0. That's infinitely better...

King_Chief_Fan
07-24-2006, 03:01 PM
Eric Warfield has 20 career picks in 8 years. Ty Law has 46 picks in 11 years, so you compare 2.5 picks per year to 4.18 picks per year... wait, lets compare that to games played... Law has 46 picks in 157 games, so .29 picks per game compared to 20 picks in 115 games for Warfield, so .17 picks per game.

Then there's tackles - Law has 578 tackles, so that's 3.68 per game, and Warfield has 345, which is a straight 3.

Law has 3 SB rings, Warfield has 0. That's infinitely better...

I think those stats are a reason not to look a stats. Those stats make them look kind of close........ and they really aren't

crispystl
07-24-2006, 03:02 PM

I'd say so espicially when Law was younger.

Braincase
07-24-2006, 04:57 PM
I think those stats are a reason not to look a stats. Those stats make them look kind of close........ and they really aren't

But when you compare what we paid for Warfield and what we paid for Law relative to the salary cap, Law looks like a better bargain.

Piper
07-25-2006, 05:06 AM
After living through Hermy/Hackett/Cotrell?

Are you kidding?