PDA

View Full Version : Timing is right for DJ to have a monster year

PunkinDrublic
07-24-2006, 04:43 PM
The impact last year that DJ had that I really noticed was that his speed really kept us from being burned on a lot of short passes. I think with the signing of Ty Law, if we have more time to get to the QB then we have all sorts of ways to use DJs speed to get sacks and force a lot of bad throws. What do you guys expect to see out of DJ this year? I think he's going to emerge the way we expected him to when we drafted him.

KCChiefsMan
07-24-2006, 04:49 PM
him and Kawika are gonna kick ASS! now if Bell can get his act together and Sims plays "contract year" football then our defense could dominate

Hammock Parties
07-24-2006, 04:50 PM
When we run cover 2, the corners are going to be responsible for the flats alot of the time. That means DJ is going to stay inside in his zone.

I want to see that hoss pick some passes off and take them to the house.

Fire Me Boy!
07-24-2006, 04:50 PM
FWIW... In NFL Head Coach, this season I blitzed the hell out of DJ and he led the league with 34 sacks.

ZootedGranny
07-24-2006, 04:56 PM
For the first half to three quarters of the season last year, DJ struggled with play recognition, using his speed when he could to recover. In the last few games though, you could see it start to click.

I don't think he's best utilized as a blitzer, especially with Bell lined up on the opposite side, but I think this year it'll start to come together. As a cover 2 LB, I think he'll snag quite a few passes this year.

I'm curious to see if Gunther will continue with Kawika as his pet project this year, or move to Bell or DJ.

Fire Me Boy!
07-24-2006, 04:58 PM
I'm pretty sure it'll be Bell.

Hammock Parties
07-24-2006, 05:03 PM
I'm curious to see if Gunther will continue with Kawika as his pet project this year, or move to Bell or DJ.

Sims is the only guy on the defense that needs an attitude adjustment. Maybe Wesley, but he produces at least. Sims was being screamed at by Gunther in OTAs so maybe Ryan is getting the Gunthernator treatment this year.

PunkinDrublic
07-24-2006, 06:21 PM
For the first half to three quarters of the season last year, DJ struggled with play recognition, using his speed when he could to recover. In the last few games though, you could see it start to click.

I don't think he's best utilized as a blitzer, especially with Bell lined up on the opposite side, but I think this year it'll start to come together. As a cover 2 LB, I think he'll snag quite a few passes this year.

Don't get me wrong I don't mean to imply that all we should do is blitz DJ, but I do think there will be a few more third down type of situations where you would want the QB to get rid of the ball in a hurry and make a bad decision.

jlscorpio
07-24-2006, 06:25 PM
DJ is best in coverage and will be a natural in the Tampa 2, ala Derrick Brooks. I hope they blitz him on occasion to keep the opposing OC guessing, ala his demolition of Plummer last year.

ZootedGranny
07-24-2006, 06:26 PM
Don't get me wrong I don't mean to imply that all we should do is blitz DJ, but I do think there will be a few more third down type of situations where you would want the QB to get rid of the ball in a hurry and make a bad decision.

It's cool, I followed what you were saying. He definitely needs to be sent on blitzes, hopefully Gun decides to work in a few blitzes this year that aren't horribly telegraphed.

crispystl
07-24-2006, 06:47 PM
I was thinking the same about D.J. and the whole linebacking core. I would also like to see the Bonecrusher sent on a few blitzes.

Bowser
07-24-2006, 06:48 PM
It's cool, I followed what you were saying. He definitely needs to be sent on blitzes, hopefully Gun decides to work in a few blitzes this year that aren't horribly telegraphed.

No doubt. I love that Gun is aggressive and likes to gamble, but sometimes it's like he calls up the opposing o-Coordinator on his cell and tells him what the blitz and who is blitzing.

I actually considered starting a similar thread. I think DJ could have a monster year. It's always the ones that fly under the radar....

R&GHomer
07-24-2006, 06:48 PM
Sims is the only guy on the defense that needs an attitude adjustment. Maybe Wesley, but he produces at least. Sims was being screamed at by Gunther in OTAs so maybe Ryan is getting the Gunthernator treatment this year.

A lot of the reports coming out of the OTAs certainly indicated Sims was a huge blip on Gunthers radar. If Sims doesn't step up this season he has no heart / desire and needs to be kicked to the ****ing curb. I for one, have reached the limits of my patience with this guy.