PDA

View Full Version : GRETZ: The Law of Ty

shaneo69
07-24-2006, 07:51 PM
GRETZ: htismaqe a jackass?
Jul 24, 2006, 8:45:43 AM by Bob Gretz - FAQ

On Saturday the Chiefs came to an agreement on a contract with Ty Law.

If Law shows up Monday in Kansas City and passes all the physical testing, then both sides will sign a deal that’s being advertised as a five-year contract worth $30 million.

Forget those numbers, both the five and the $30 million. Law will never see $30 million from the Chiefs. He’ll be lucky to see one-third of that total.

Law’s deal is really a one-year, possibly two-year contract. He reportedly made $6 million last year with the Jets. He’ll make less than that this year with the Chiefs, with a chance to make more through incentives. Like most of these types of deals, I’m sure there’s a nice big roster bonus that will come due in March 2007. That will force the Chiefs and Law to make a decision then on his future.

In the present, now that the deal is struck, the Chiefs can go ahead and make their reservations for Miami in early February and the Super Bowl, right? If you spent any time listening to the pundits over the last 18 months that Law and Chiefs have been paired together in sentences, this signing is the final piece of the puzzle for this franchise. He’s the savior of this defense and thus the team.

Of course, as we learn constantly when history is finally written, the pundits frequently have no idea of what they speak or write. Law is not the final piece to the defensive puzzle. Not hardly. If that were true, then it would also be true that the single player who wrecked the Chiefs defense last year was Eric Warfield, because all Law is doing is taking that spot at right cornerback. If you watched the Chiefs last year, you will know that their problems on that side of the football went far beyond the inconsistency of Warfield’s play.

Signing Law makes the Chiefs a better team, right? On paper, that’s the case. But remember this: the team with the most talent does not win. It’s the team with the most talent that is used intelligently by its coaching staff and plays together that wins championships in the NFL.

A question that must be asked about Law is this: is he playing these days for the name on the back of his jersey, or for the Arrowhead on the side of his new helmet? Three teams in the last three seasons leaves the impression of a player looking for the biggest payday available.

That was again the case with this deal. In the end, only the Chiefs and Patriots were really interested in Law. A deal got done with the Chiefs when the player and his agents finally accepted the reality of the diminished market for his services and I’m sure took the best offer that was available. Law was part of a championship run with the New England Patriots, so he’s seen how the whole thing can come together and lead to the ultimate NFL success. Can he bring that experience to the Chiefs? Is that something that’s important to him these days? Or, at the age of 32 and heading into his 12th season, is this just another stop at the salary window at the end of a long career?

We will find that out in the coming weeks and months. Law will be welcomed with open arms by his teammates, most of the fans and all those pundits who campaigned for his hiring for the better part of two years.

That doesn’t make him a savior. It doesn’t mean he’ll come in and help the Chiefs.

It just makes him a veteran right cornerback who now runs with the first-team defense.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2006/07/24/gretz_the_law_of_ty/

Bowser
07-24-2006, 07:53 PM
Wow. Look at the sandy 'giner on Gretz.

Good article, but sandy nonetheless.

SLAG
07-24-2006, 07:55 PM
Wow. Look at the sandy 'giner on Gretz.

Good article, but sandy nonetheless.

hes just mad cuz whitty got what he wanted

Bootlegged
07-24-2006, 08:30 PM
classless, deranged prick.

CoMoChief
07-24-2006, 08:36 PM
hes just mad cuz whitty got what he wanted

That's very true and untrue at the same time.

Chieftain58
07-24-2006, 08:37 PM
Huh? Gretz sounds angry....

jAZ
07-24-2006, 08:40 PM
Jezus Kryst!

I can't believe that article was on the offical website.

:shake:

OldTownChief
07-24-2006, 08:45 PM
I can't believe that article was on the offical website.

:shake:

Same thing I was thinking. Carl must've kicked him off the nutsack.

Deberg_1990
07-24-2006, 08:45 PM
[B]

A question that must be asked about Law is this: is he playing these days for the name on the back of his jersey, or for the Arrowhead on the side of his new helmet? Three teams in the last three seasons leaves the impression of a player looking for the biggest payday available.

Oh please Gretz,....every player in the NFL plays for the $$$$ Its not about the loyalty anymore. Its always about the $$$$ Dont try to act as if what Law did was anything out of the ordinary.

Pitt Gorilla
07-24-2006, 09:15 PM
Huh? Gretz sounds angry....Damn, that sig owns.

Halfcan
07-24-2006, 09:18 PM
Gretz has lost touch with reality, his ongoing fued with every other sportscaster and writer in Kc has gotten stale. How many times has he used the words Tin throats and other names. He should be shown the door.

KcMizzou
07-24-2006, 09:19 PM
I thought Gretz had a reputation for being Carl's lap dog. I'll bet this article didn't go over well.

R&GHomer
07-24-2006, 09:22 PM
Yikes, does he want to retire?

RealSNR
07-24-2006, 09:24 PM
Gretz is just mad because now there's a new person in town who might eat some of his Gates ribs

RINGLEADER
07-24-2006, 11:27 PM
I don't get people who get down on others who just want the best deal for their services. I mean really, should we all be upset that T-Rich went to Minnesota for the big buck...er, um...nevermind.

07-24-2006, 11:35 PM
Gretz is walking on the wildside with that one. Geez. Carl had to really be pleased with his employee for that one.

JohnnyV13
07-24-2006, 11:46 PM
Same thing I was thinking. Carl must've kicked him off the nutsack.

You need to develop more subtlety. Gretz is still firmly on the nutsack. Carefully analyze what Gretz is saying, and you come up with a pure win/win for Carl.

Gretz is saying that there was more wrong with the Chiefs' D than right corner. To win, the Chiefs need to use talent intelligently and the players have to play together. He's positioned Law as a possible mercenary after the highest paycheck.

If Law works out and the chiefs have a deep run in the playoffs, they succeeded because the Chiefs' coaching staff used him intelligently. If the defense still sucks, Law is a "me-first" player who is simply after a paycheck, and Law becomes the scapegoat for the defensive failure.

Either way, Carl is protected. If we win, Carl is the genious that gave the coaching staff the final piece they needed. If we lose Law and/or the defensive staff failed to deliver. At no point did Gretz question Carl's talent evaluation skills, with respect to either Law or last year's crop of Bell, Surtain and Knight.

All of this comes with the added bonus of dismissing the media as know-nothing yahoos.

Cormac
07-25-2006, 07:06 AM
So much for Gretz sucking up to CP all the time.

I agree with this article. I don't think Ty Law is going to have much impact on this team. I never got on the "sign him" bandwagon, and now that he's signed, I'm more "ho-hum" than "****-yeah!". Why?

1. CB is the most over-rated position in football. We all hate on Champ Bailey for getting burned routinely, and he is still the best CB in the game. Those who argue DeAngelo Hall is better need to go back and watch how often he gets beaten. He's very good, but successful CB play has become like batting average in baseball. 30% is satisfactory.

2. He's 32. Hasty played forever, but Law is coming off significant injuries.

3. He was known for his penalties last year. That happens to slowing players who have to use tricks to keep up. That no longer works. Besides, he has always been known for physical play, and the new rule about downfield contact designed to protect WRs is commonly known as the "Ty Law rule".

4. I hope he gets 10 INTs again this year, but what are the chances? Greg Wesley gets lots of turnovers too. That doesn't mean he isn't terrible on about 15 big plays a year.

5. More than ever, good defense starts up front. We don't have it on the D-line. Jared Allen is our only good player on that line. Everybody else is (a) constantly being waited on, (b) declining, (c) situational or (d) a rookie.

6. This will be his 3rd team in 3 years. How often does that work out for the new team signing an aging FA?

Despite all that, this is a decent signing. There is no harm having Ty Law on your team, especially if it is true that his deal amounts to roughly a 1 year, $5m contract. That's the best news of all. But if our D steps it up this year, and it had better, it will have much more to do with the coaching and improvement from within, IMO, than upgrading from Warfield to Law. We need more people to improve like Mitchell did last year. That's where we'll find the difference comes from. My hopes for this year rest in the hands of DJ, Tamba, Pollard, Bell, Fox, Ron Edwards (if healthy) etc.

BucEyedPea
07-25-2006, 07:18 AM
Personally, I think Ty is a gold-digger...but it doesn't mean he won't produce.

InChiefsHeaven
07-25-2006, 07:24 AM
Someone please name me the player in the NFL who is not a "gold-digger?"

bzzzz...times up. Thanks for playing...

Trent Green would play somewhere else if he thought he could make significantly more money there. I don't hold it against these guys at all...they just better produce for the money.

BucEyedPea
07-25-2006, 07:38 AM
I know they play for money...but when Law says things like "Gotta eat!" at his pay one has to wonder. Gold-digger is different category imo.

But you want some names?

Tom Brady coulda got more.
And, another Pat, I think it was Troy Brown took less to remain in NE.

Vinateri took a pay cut to leave. *waits for reaction on this one* :p

BucEyedPea
07-25-2006, 07:41 AM
Another is John Lynch although he was taken up on it in Tampa, he really wanted to go out as a Buc.

Another is the A-Train, now the A-Plane who took a cut a few years ago to remain with the Bucs.

It happens.
Player's restructure contracts too.
There are other incentives both personal and professional in addition to money.

58-4ever
07-25-2006, 07:46 AM
I hope Bob Gretz dies slowly in a fiery automobile crash to put him out of his misery. Talk about ruining a morning with negativity.

htismaqe
07-25-2006, 08:45 AM
Yet another chance for shane to insert words into Gretz' mouth.

Note to everyone who copies and pastes articles here. Adding your own by-line to the story is not gonna be allowed. We can get in trouble for it.

StcChief
07-25-2006, 09:12 AM
Just show up and play well. All I ask.
Let the chips fall where they may.

shaneo69
07-25-2006, 10:53 AM
Yet another chance for shane to insert words into Gretz' mouth.

Note to everyone who copies and pastes articles here. Adding your own by-line to the story is not gonna be allowed. We can get in trouble for it.

So my thread title is not accurate?

What do you think Gretz is saying when he wonders if Law is playing for the name on his back, or the Arrowhead on his helmet, and then proceeds to mention how Law is on his 3rd team in three years after taking the highest bid each time?

htismaqe
07-25-2006, 11:02 AM
So my thread title is not accurate?

What do you think Gretz is saying when he wonders if Law is playing for the name on his back, or the Arrowhead on his helmet, and then proceeds to mention how Law is on his 3rd team in three years after taking the highest bid each time?

ROFL

I figured I'd have to read something like this.

Your thread title couldn't be farther from accurate, REGARDLESS of the intent of the article. Why? Because you purposefully attributed words to Bob Gretz that he did not write.

You are familiar with the word "integrity" right?

If you want to offer your own opinion on what the article said, try using this as a title:

shaneo69: Gretz says Ty Law is a gold-digger.

shaneo69
07-25-2006, 11:02 AM
You need to develop more subtlety. Gretz is still firmly on the nutsack. Carefully analyze what Gretz is saying, and you come up with a pure win/win for Carl.

All of this comes with the added bonus of dismissing the media as know-nothing yahoos.

I agree. The disclaimers in Carl's comments about Law (he's not the player he was 6-8 years ago, he's not as fast as he was, we hope he's worth the effort), along with this article from Gretz, make me think that they're setting up Herm and Gunther to take the fall (along with the media) if this doesn't work out.

htismaqe
07-25-2006, 11:04 AM
I agree. The disclaimers in Carl's comments about Law (he's not the player he was 6-8 years ago, he's not as fast as he was, we hope he's worth the effort), along with this article from Gretz, make me think that they're setting up Herm and Gunther to take the fall (along with the media) if this doesn't work out.

Why wouldn't they set the media up to take the fall?

After all, it's members of the media who just HAD TO HAVE this guy.

the Talking Can
07-25-2006, 11:07 AM
"In the present, now that the deal is struck, the Chiefs can go ahead and make their reservations for Miami in early February and the Super Bowl, right? If you spent any time listening to the pundits over the last 18 months that Law and Chiefs have been paired together in sentences, this signing is the final piece of the puzzle for this franchise. He’s the savior of this defense and thus the team."

actually, no one has said that...fans or radio heads...he's literally making that up for the sake of an article

listened to 810 and 610 after the signing, no one was claiming this made us a superbowl lock....what a ****ing douchebag

shaneo69
07-25-2006, 11:09 AM
If you want to offer your own opinion on what the article said, try using this as a title:

shaneo69: Gretz says Ty Law is a gold-digger.

Um...that statement would be a lie. Gretz didn't say it. He just implied it.

All I did was let people here know that Gretz is questioning whether Law is a gold-digger in his column. Hence the question mark at the end of my thread title.

Eleazar
07-25-2006, 11:09 AM
thank gawd, enough with the 'improving' of all gretz' articles in the title.

htismaqe
07-25-2006, 11:13 AM
Um...that statement would be a lie. Gretz didn't say it. He just implied it.

All I did was let people here know that Gretz is questioning whether Law is a gold-digger in his column. Hence the question mark at the end of my thread title.

shaneo69: Gretz says Law is a gold-digger

is called speculative language. It's only a lie if you attribute it to Gretz as a quote, like so.

shaneo69: Gretz says "Law is a gold-digger."

You wrote Gretz: Law is a gold-digger? Which is the same as writing Gretz says "Law is a gold-digger?"

I'm not surprised to see you try to defend it, though.

htismaqe
07-25-2006, 11:15 AM
thank gawd, enough with the 'improving' of all gretz' articles in the title.

All he did was "let people here know that Gretz is questioning whether Law is a gold-digger in his column".

He's providing the members of Chiefsplanet with a great service, striving to debunk the great evil that is Carl Peterson and his henchman.

Sounds alot like, oh...

Rufus Dawes.

shaneo69
07-25-2006, 11:16 AM
Thank you God (htismaqe) for changing the title of this thread. It was very misleading, and any idiot could've mistook it for the actual headline of the article on kcchiefs.com.

Your censorship skills are simply astounding. Congrats.

htismaqe
07-25-2006, 11:31 AM
Thank you God (htismaqe) for changing the title of this thread. It was very misleading, and any idiot could've mistook it for the actual headline of the article on kcchiefs.com.

Your censorship skills are simply astounding. Congrats.

ROFL

I fully expected you to cry about censorship.

Can you point to the article of the US Constitution that grants the right to be stupid?

Eleazar
07-25-2006, 11:37 AM
shaneo69 is really Rufus Dawes.

What? That's what you said isn't it?