PDA

View Full Version : Posnaski: Carl keeps his head amid the Law buzz

dirk digler
07-25-2006, 06:37 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/15114154.htm

Carl keeps his head amid the Law buzz
JOE POSNASKI

“Obviously, we think Ty Law will help us become a better defense. But for people to think that one man will make all the difference — well, I don’t want to mislead people. We are very excited to have Ty. We think he has a chance to be a good player and a leader. We’re glad this worked out. But let’s wait and see.”
Chiefs GM Carl Peterson

Two hours before the announcement, two hours before 50,000 people logged on to the Kansas City Chiefs Web site at once and crashed the thing, two hours before Ty Law signed and Super Bowl fever gripped this fair city, a nice saleswoman at the bookstore recognized my name. And she said this: “There is no way the Chiefs will ever go to the Super Bowl with that man Carl Peterson in charge. All he cares about is putting people in the seats.”

Yes, that’s how a lot of people used to feel about Carl Peterson. Used to feel. It’s a funny thing about the NFL. Attitudes change fast. Two hours later, Peterson announced he had signed Ty Law — a five-time Pro Bowl cornerback, the NFL leader in interceptions — and suddenly everything looked different. Suddenly, the Chiefs’ secondary looked like a turnover factory. Suddenly, the Chiefs’ defense looked formidable enough to keep up with the offense. Suddenly, the Super Bowl seemed possible.

And suddenly, in more than a few fans’ eyes, Carl Peterson cared about winning.

“Congratulations,” I said to Peterson on Monday after the contract was signed and Ty Law had gotten his ceremonial hug from defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham.

“Well, why don’t you wait on that,” Peterson said. “When we acquire a player, and he stays healthy, and he fits into the system, and he helps us win games, that’s when you can offer congratulations. And that’s when we can accept it.”

Peterson has always thought fans and the news media go way overboard when it comes to free-agency. People get so excited. He can show you study after study that shows free agents almost never do much. And for every free agent who does help turn a team’s fortune, there are five others who drag a team down.

Still, after a few months of negotiation, he did sign Ty Law. And he likes the buzz.

“I’m very pleased to see how excited Chiefs fans are about this,” he said. “I’m excited, too. In that way I’m just every other fan. I’m really looking forward to see how this team looks on the field when training camp begins later on this week.

“But,” he added, “I also know that if it doesn’t work out, this fan will be called a lot of names by a lot of different people.”

I tell Peterson he should enjoy the moment. This is one of the wonderful things about professional sports — sometimes you can just buy excitement. Nobody knows how long it will last. Ty Law has not played a single down in a Chiefs uniform. He is gifted and experienced, but he’s also a 32-year-old cornerback with an injured past. Several Jets fans wrote in to say that despite Law’s 10 interceptions last year, he was beaten early, often and badly. That may be sour grapes. It may not.

“Obviously, we think Ty Law will help us become a better defense,” Peterson said. “But for people to think that one man will make all the difference — well, I don’t want to mislead people. We are very excited to have Ty. We think he has a chance to be a good player and a leader. We’re glad this worked out. But let’s wait and see.”

Nobody wants that. Waiting and seeing takes, well, waiting. And we’re not in a waiting era. We’re in an era where if it takes two seconds for a Web page to load, we call our Internet provider to get faster service. We’re in an era where a good college basketball fan knows the names of the best high school sophomores in America. We’re in an era where people were angry that Peterson didn’t sign Ty Law months ago, even though training camp doesn’t start until Friday.

Put it this way: Tony Gonzalez called Peterson last week to ask: “Are we getting Ty?”

“I know people wanted me to just give Ty Law whatever he wanted,” Peterson said. “But that’s not what we’re about. It’s called negotiation. If we give Ty Law too much money, then we have to move a Tony Gonzalez, a Trent Green, a Dante Hall. I don’t want to lose them. They’re great players we worked very hard to sign.

“These things take patience and perseverance. People think that it’s about a willingness to win. But it’s not. I wanted to win just as much before I signed Ty Law as I do now. It’s just that we reached a point with dollars and our cap where I felt comfortable signing him. And I’m very glad we got to that point.”

He’s not the only one. Even late Monday afternoon, the Chiefs’ Web site was down because of overuse. Internet chat rooms buzzed. E-mails with CAPITAL LETTERS zipped back and forth. Hey, I’m caught up in it, too. How can you help it? I think of Ty Law and Patrick Surtain at cornerback, and I see a defense that can force turnovers. I see an offense — with Larry Johnson, Green and Gonzalez — that can control games. I see a playoff team that could be awfully good in cold weather — like Pittsburgh a year ago.

Yes, a big-name signing can change how everything looks.

Well, OK, not for everyone.

“What do you think now?” I asked the saleswoman at the bookstore Monday.

“We’ll see,” she said. “Peterson will probably find a way to hose it up.”

jidar
07-25-2006, 07:01 AM
The saleswoman must be a Chiefs Planet poster.

StcChief
07-25-2006, 07:36 AM
Saleswoman is a realist. Looks at past history and will see what might have been then....

Joe Montana, Marcus Allen ring a bell.

Fat Elvis
07-25-2006, 07:41 AM
Peterson has always thought fans and the news media go way overboard when it comes to free-agency. People get so excited. He can show you study after study that shows free agents almost never do much. And for every free agent who does help turn a team’s fortune, there are five others who drag a team down.

Carl must of perused his FA signings the past few years.....

htismaqe
07-25-2006, 08:39 AM
Carl must of perused his FA signings the past few years.....

Or those of the rest of the league.

BigChiefFan
07-25-2006, 08:49 AM
I like the wait and see approach, but let's face it we just signed a 5 time PBer STARTER-I'm positive our secondary will be improved.

KCTitus
07-25-2006, 09:20 AM
Saleswoman is a realist.

ROFL... Im thinking genious (chiefsplanet spelling) has a new synonym.

hypersensitiveZO6
07-25-2006, 09:26 AM
I have noticed that.

A Note to the Planet:

Please spell the word GENIUS

correctly.

htismaqe
07-25-2006, 09:29 AM
I has noticed that.

A Note to the Planet:

Please spell the word GENIUS

correctly.

Please consult your Lexicon and stop spreading misinformation.

Genious.

Eleazar
07-25-2006, 09:29 AM
In line with that turnover factory theory: :hmmm:

Fumbles forced + INT in the last 3 seasons

Patrick Surtain - 15
Ty Law - 17
Sammy Knight - 15
Greg Wesley - 22

KCTitus
07-25-2006, 09:32 AM
I has noticed that.

A Note to the Planet:

Please spell the word GENIUS, correctly.

hyperlite: A brief history: Genious (chiefsplanet spelling) comes from those brilliant posters who actually know how to run a NFL franchise better than Carl Peterson or any other front office person currently employed in the NFL. This has zero to do with 'genius' which is an entirely different word.

A study of the Chiefsplanet Lexicon would help speed your understanding of what it takes to be a genious (chiefsplanet spelling).

hypersensitiveZO6
07-25-2006, 09:32 AM
Please consult your Lexicon and stop spreading misinformation.

Genious.

"Your" right.

hypersensitiveZO6
07-25-2006, 09:40 AM
hyperlite: A brief history: Genious (chiefsplanet spelling) comes from those brilliant posters who actually know how to run a NFL franchise better than Carl Peterson or any other front office person currently employed in the NFL. This has zero to do with 'genius' which is an entirely different word.

A study of the Chiefsplanet Lexicon would help speed your understanding of what it takes to be a genious (chiefsplanet spelling).
I'll try to get up to speed. Thanks for the brief history.

Your such and entullentual. :thumb:

KCTitus
07-25-2006, 09:43 AM
I'll try to get up to speed. Thanks for the brief history.

Your such and entullentual. :thumb:

Please spell it correctly, it's entellectual

hypersensitiveZO6
07-25-2006, 09:47 AM
I really suck at this. Sorry.

I'll never fit it. :doh!:

DaKCMan AP
07-25-2006, 09:49 AM
:doh!: n00bs

hypersensitiveZO6
07-25-2006, 09:56 AM
:doh!: n00bs

I need motivation. :banghead:

Someday, I might actually spell something right. :)

Lzen
07-25-2006, 10:18 AM
I'm very excited about this team. Haven't felt this good about the Chiefs' chances in years.

KCTitus,
perhaps you should post a thread explaining the CP lexicon. ;)

KCTitus
07-25-2006, 10:24 AM
I'm very excited about this team. Haven't felt this good about the Chiefs' chances in years.

KCTitus,
perhaps you should post a thread explaining the CP lexicon. ;)

Ive considered doing a thread to act as a primer for newer posters and a quick review for the long timers that I could bump prior to each season/preseason and edit as new terms become available, but the 10-20 threads Ive done in the past have been lead balloons, so Ive hesitated to post it.

I mean this isnt quality stuff like the 'herm edwards scorecard' or 'last one to post wins' threads, it's just a small compilation of the words of wisdom that only posters on this BB could have.

Wile_E_Coyote
07-25-2006, 11:19 AM
I'm with Peterson on this. Law is a nice signing, but he's not superman

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-25-2006, 11:28 AM
I need motivation. :banghead:

Someday, I might actually spell something right. :)

You must be STUPED.