PDA

View Full Version : Herm will run the ball a lot? Anybody see last year's Jets at Broncos game? WTH?

Lzen
07-25-2006, 08:42 AM
Yesterday, as I was looking over stats from last year's games, I noticed a strange anomaly about the Jets @ Broncos game. The Jets threw the ball 32 times and Curtis Martin only rushed 4 times. WTH? I thought Herm was a coach that loves to run. Honestly, I'm not sure what that stat says about his style. I know the Jets got down in that game. But why abandon the running game so early and then never go back to it? Did he just panic? Or does he just let his offensive coordinator handle all of that? Thoughts?

For the play-by-play, click here:
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/playbyplay/NFL_20051120_NYJ@DEN

Brock
07-25-2006, 08:44 AM
The entire team ran the ball 7 times. That's outstanding.

Eleazar
07-25-2006, 08:45 AM
Just a thought... but they might have been passing a lot because they were getting hammered. They lost 27-0 after all. :spock:

jspchief
07-25-2006, 08:48 AM
Believe it or not, just because a coach has a particular philosophy, that doesn't mean he'll be so stupid as to stick with it regardless of the factors of the game he's playing.

Dartgod
07-25-2006, 08:50 AM
Believe it or not, just because a coach has a particular philosophy, that doesn't mean he'll be so stupid as to stick with it regardless of the factors of the game he's playing.
Jimmy Raye is coming to kick your ass.

Eleazar
07-25-2006, 08:58 AM

...or when he's got an elite running back on the field instead of one who rushed for 700 yards @ 3.3 last year, only had one 100 yard game, only scored in 4 games, running behind a porous line, with no threat of (being beaten by) the pass, etc.

DaKCMan AP
07-25-2006, 08:59 AM
Last year was terrible for that team. They only averaged 24 rushing attempts per game. We averaged 32.

The previous year the Jets averaged 33 rush att/game while they went 10-6.

Lzen
07-25-2006, 09:02 AM
Just a thought... but they might have been passing a lot because they were getting hammered. They lost 27-0 after all. :spock:

I know they got down early. It just seemed to me that they abandoned the run way to soon. Perhaps that is part of the reason they got down by so much. I remember watching that game, too. Of course, I don't really know much about how their offensive line was last year.

jidar
07-25-2006, 09:04 AM
Nothing was going to work for that Jets team last year.

htismaqe
07-25-2006, 09:13 AM
Herm, like most head coaches, let's his OC call the plays.

Garcia Bronco
07-25-2006, 10:46 AM
They didn't run the ball because they couldn't and then they got down. I believe I have the whole game in mpeg...I'll watch it tonight if I remember. they got their ass beat. This was our best game of the season.

Brock
07-25-2006, 10:49 AM
They didn't run the ball because they couldn't and then they got down. I believe I have the whole game in mpeg...I'll watch it tonight if I remember. they got their ass beat. This was our best game of the season.

On their second drive, they threw 6 straight passes. There is no way to know if they could run or not, since they only tried it 7 times total.

Lzen
07-25-2006, 11:02 AM
On their second drive, they threw 6 straight passes. There is no way to know if they could run or not, since they only tried it 7 times total.

I really only consider 5 of those actual runs and one was probably a reverse (since it was McCariens who is a WR). The others were probably passes where the QB had to scramble. But your point is still a valid one.

gcbroncos
07-25-2006, 11:05 AM

i was more impressed by the jax victory...but we did play pretty well...

even though the score may not reflect it....the jets defense actually did an admiral job against us....

Garcia Bronco
07-25-2006, 11:17 AM

They couldn't run the ball at all..not many teams could on us...which is why our pass defensive rank is out of whack. I think the same goes for the Chiefs. But I didn't see as many of your games as in the past. But believe me...this was our best game of the year...just about everything clicked for us and the bounces went our way. We got the closet parking spaces to the stadium and there we no red lights. It was that kind of day.

Interestingly...our new OC and our former WR coach...was the Jets OC last year.

Lzen
07-25-2006, 11:24 AM

So, that can't be good news for you Donkeys. :p

Garcia Bronco
07-25-2006, 11:29 AM
So, that can't be good news for you Donkeys. :p

hmmmm Yeah......I don't think it's going to be a problem.

CupidStunt
07-25-2006, 11:30 AM

You're not the only team to have your best game against the Jest.

DaKCMan AP
07-25-2006, 11:33 AM
I forgot that the Donks hired Mike Heimer-dink-and-dunk-er as their OC. Too bad ratface calls the plays...

tk13
07-25-2006, 11:39 AM
I think we're just going to have to wait and see how Solari calls a game. I'm sure it will probably be less gimmicky than Saunders, but I don't know what to expect really. I wouldn't listen to some of that Herm-speak. Like saying we're going to run the ball 10 more times a game, junk like that. That's not going to happen, that's almost statistically impossible. We were already among the top running teams, if we added 10 carries a game we'd obliterate the rest of the league by like 100-150 carries. Plus that means LJ could have a record season and the backup would still have to get about 200 carries.

gcbroncos
07-25-2006, 11:50 AM
They couldn't run the ball at all..not many teams could on us...which is why our pass defensive rank is out of whack. I think the same goes for the Chiefs. But I didn't see as many of your games as in the past. But believe me...this was our best game of the year...just about everything clicked for us and the bounces went our way. We got the closet parking spaces to the stadium and there we no red lights. It was that kind of day.

what i liked most about the jets game is we kept knocking their quarterbacks out of the game....

but the jets D played us tough...they played their hearts out....

jax victory was a road win which is always tougher to do not mention the jets were terrible last year....and jax was a playoff team...

i had the jets game and deleted it...crap i wish i still had it....it was a great game to watch....

Garcia Bronco
07-25-2006, 12:38 PM
I think we're just going to have to wait and see how Solari calls a game. I'm sure it will probably be less gimmicky than Saunders, but I don't know what to expect really. I wouldn't listen to some of that Herm-speak. Like saying we're going to run the ball 10 more times a game, junk like that. That's not going to happen, that's almost statistically impossible. We were already among the top running teams, if we added 10 carries a game we'd obliterate the rest of the league by like 100-150 carries. Plus that means LJ could have a record season and the backup would still have to get about 200 carries.

This is the most interest thing for me about the Chiefs...how does the team do without Al Saunders this year and next....I think you're going to see the defense rise in the first year and the offense decline in the second year.

htismaqe
07-25-2006, 01:16 PM
This is the most interest thing for me about the Chiefs...how does the team do without Al Saunders this year and next....I think you're going to see the defense rise in the first year and the offense decline in the second year.

The offense will decline immediately. El Savior lives in Washington now.

Mile High Mania
07-25-2006, 02:29 PM
Comparing what the Jets offense did with their talent and what KC can do with their talent is kinda crazy...