PDA

View Full Version : Rufus giddy with excitement over Law signing

shaneo69
07-25-2006, 03:38 PM
DAWES: AN INCONVENIENT TRUTH
Jul 24, 2006, 8:53:33 AM by Rufus Dawes

It’s true that I am a natural skeptic about prophecies of doom from pundits and other so-called experts. And if some media buy into these prophecies and make them the subject of endless stories – as they did about dangers to the Ozone or the likelihood that Priest Holmes was finished three years ago – I am even more likely to turn my back on them.

But as the news broke that the Chiefs had signed the public’s obsession, Ty Law, I found myself non-moved and oddly complacent about what so many people believe it means.

The key pitchmen in this notion that the Super Bowl is now close at hand, or it could be, or it must be before some offensive lineman gathers any more gray hair have been a mix of local media and a fan base they have stoked repeatedly since last season. Although this doesn’t rise to the level of the global warming debate, talking about the Chiefs going to the Super Bowl when the team hasn’t won a playoff game since the conclusion of the 1993 season is laughably foolish. Head coach Herm Edwards said as much in his remarks following the introduction of Law to a contingent of local media.

“I think sometimes we just jump ahead too far,” he said, “We worry about Super Bowl’s, but you can’t win a Super Bowl unless you win your first games. That’s what this team needs to become. We need to become a consistent playoff football team.”

Nothing illustrates this proposition of putting the cart before the horse more clearly than this insistence that the team is just a player away. This is, however, more the media’s template than the team’s. In speaking before the gathering of media and broadcast on this Web site, Law made it abundantly clear from his perspective that he “can’t say that one person can be the savior for any football team.” Edwards, for his part, refused to acknowledge that “he’s the missing piece,” preferring to say that he thinks “he’s a very good player and that helps you.”

But for too many in the media there is no debate, not even a residual slick on the surface. The media have an allergy to the hard slog that building a team requires. They believe in the quick fix because it’s easy to write or talk about, especially if you can identify who this savior might be and it’s Law and it has been for some time in their minds.

I have been a ubiquitous analyst of unrestricted free agency – ubiquity being one of this writer’s favorite qualities — and identifying the latest free agent du jour and recognizing him as a savior doesn’t make it true.

A few years back Denver thought it had the final piece of the puzzle in Champ Bailey and the pundits echoed that here was the spark guaranteed to ignite the team’s drive to another Super Bowl championship.

Following this tangled logic please tell us that if a 26-year old Bailey, regarded as the best cornerback in the NFL, can’t make a difference for a team that’s alleged to be so close, how do you suppose a 32-year old corner can?

The Chiefs have made trips to the playoffs in a decade where only four NFL teams have not, so that should be any clear thinking person’s goal and a reasonable one to boot. But it sure won’t be a grizzled cornerback that shall lead them and besides, until they’ve gone and won a game there then his talk of a Super Bowl is more absurdity than reality.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2006/07/24/dawes_an_inconvenient_truth/

kcfanintitanhell
07-25-2006, 03:47 PM
Grizzled?
I thought Law made it abundantly clear in his PC that he was not a savior, and so did Herm in his Qand A. That they needed to go out and win the first games.
Thanks for the turd in the punchbowl for no particular reason.

StcChief
07-25-2006, 04:47 PM
Age is one factor....We saw 'Champ' get 'Chumped' last year a few times when he was healthy.

Law played hobbled and got 10 INTs (4 in a blow out).

SB experience etc. I'll take Law all day over Chump for what we need now. Hopefully they young guys will learn and can replace him in 2 years.

the Talking Can
07-25-2006, 04:58 PM
someone shoot that fat **** in the head...

I've never read a worse writer. Nick Athtan makes more sense.

ChiefaRoo
07-25-2006, 06:26 PM
So what's the point of that article? KC signed a very good player that fills a critical need. So what are they supposed to do Rufus not try?

Keeping perspective on the signing is one thing but to make it sound irrelevant is silly. Signing Ty Law is a definate upgrade to the D.

shaneo69
07-25-2006, 07:14 PM
KC signed a very good player that fills a critical need. So what are they supposed to do Rufus, not try?

In Rufus' fantasy world, the Chiefs would be starting Julian Battle and Alfonso Hodge at CB, with Benny Sapp and Marcus Maxey as the #3 and #4 CB's. Because that's what his favorite teams (Pittsburgh and New England) do; their late round draft picks/undrafted FA's are developed for a year or two and then move into the starting lineup when the 4 year vets leave in FA.

And if Battle and Hodge aren't good enough to start, well, the Chiefs (read: Lynn Stiles and Dick Vermiel, not Carl) should've drafted better, like Pittsburgh and New England do. Meanwhile, they should make do with cheap FA's like Walls and take their lumps while they try to develop more late round draft picks.

Besides, CB is the least important position on the field due to the new rules, so they should be able to get by with Battle, Hodge, and/or Walls.

KcMizzou
07-25-2006, 08:21 PM
First Gretz is down on Peterson's "prize pig", and now Rufus? WTF is this, Bizzaro World?

jettio
07-25-2006, 08:29 PM
Dawes believes in striving for mediocrity in everything but parking and ticket prices.

I don't think there are a whole lot of Chiefs fans who do not realize that this season could end up as disappointing as so many others have in the Dawes era..

OldTownChief
07-25-2006, 08:31 PM
First Gretz is down on Peterson's "prize pig", and now Rufus? WTF is this, Bizzaro World?

I don't follow them that closly. I get any Chiefs news I need here at the Planet, but didn't both preach about us needing Ty Law in a big way? I know I've heard it from Gretz.

Lurch
07-25-2006, 10:40 PM
I haven't been here much since the Law signing.

But what's not to be excited about. He should help, immensely, for a couple of years at least. And, if willing to move to safety, a couple of years beyond that.

|Zach|
07-25-2006, 10:53 PM
Age is one factor....We saw 'Champ' get 'Chumped' last year a few times when he was healthy.

Law played hobbled and got 10 INTs (4 in a blow out).

SB experience etc. I'll take Law all day over Chump for what we need now. Hopefully they young guys will learn and can replace him in 2 years.
I player got burned a few times? Who hasn't?

How could someone criticize Bailey after some of the things he has done over there.

Lurch
07-25-2006, 10:55 PM

How could someone criticize Bailey after some of the things he has done over there.

Because while Bailey is good, there are a couple of younger DBs who I'd take over him....Hall, Newman, and some others.

Fish
07-25-2006, 10:55 PM
Rufus Dawes is an Arrowhead janitor.......

|Zach|
07-25-2006, 10:58 PM
Because while Bailey is good, there are a couple of younger DBs who I'd take over him....Hall, Newman, and some others.
I guess so, I bet none of those players ever change a game the way he can and has.

Brock
07-26-2006, 06:32 AM

Easily. He's a very overrated player. Anyone who objectively pays attention would see that.

KCTitus
07-26-2006, 06:56 AM
Rufus, contrary to the cacophony of the Planet, has been consistent that FA's are not a panacea. Still given that, I would have hoped that everyone would, at the very least, be optimistic about the prospects it improves the teams chances.

Im not sure which is funnier, Rufus articles or the reaction to them.

the Talking Can
07-26-2006, 07:01 AM
Rufus, contrary to the cacophony of the Planet, has been consistent that FA's are not a panacea. Still given that, I would have hoped that everyone would, at the very least, be optimistic about the prospects it improves the teams chances.

Im not sure which is funnier, Rufus articles or the reaction to them.

could he write about it without using ubiquitous and ubiquity in the same sentence?

that's all I am asking....that, and an article that doesn't start "...pundits........those pundits....."

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-26-2006, 07:08 AM
His point about the ever so close Donkeys getting their final piece of the puzzle was overshadowed by the fact they acquired Plummer. As long as they have Plummer they will never win another playoff game.

KCTitus
07-26-2006, 07:12 AM
could he write about it without using ubiquitous and ubiquity in the same sentence?

that's all I am asking....that, and an article that doesn't start "...pundits........those pundits....."

Fair enough...I agree the writing is a bit annoying, but the responses it gets are just priceless.