PDA

View Full Version : Talk of the Town

DaKCMan AP
07-26-2006, 06:33 AM
Talk of the town

Law meets the media, says he’s a ‘piece of the puzzle’ he hopes shows a playoff picture for Chiefs.

By ELIZABETH MERRILL

The Kansas City Star

T he meet-and-greet garb was a tank-top and flip flops, not polyester and a cane.

Ty Law was expecting this. With a limo parked outside Arrowhead Stadium on Tuesday, and a roomful of reporters waiting to greet Kansas City’s newest acquisition, Law slid through about five questions before the age issue came up.

Actually, it was more about longevity. The Chiefs have been yearning to get younger since Herm Edwards took over in January, they want a corner who’s willing to put down roots, and then they went out and acquired Law, who’s 32. Law was in New York last year for a cup of coffee and 10 interceptions, then became a cap casualty in February because of his $11 million roster bonus.

So, old fella, how long do you plan on staying?

“I’m not giving it up yet,” Law said. “I’m not that old.

“I’m here, and the way this is structured, the way we’re looking at it, I’m here for the long haul. This is supposed to be my last contract, and that’s what I was looking forward to. Hopefully, I can finish out my career here.”

Law looks the part of a man ready to embrace his new environment. The Chiefs said he only had a few minutes to chat before he needed to be whisked away Tuesday morning. Law talked for nearly a half hour. He was fit and upbeat, ready to join his team in River Falls, Wis., on Thursday for his first training camp since breaking his foot in 2004.

In some ways, last summer was easier for Law when he was searching for a team after being cut by the Patriots. He had one focus then, healing his foot. By June, the waiting had gotten old, and Law wasn’t exactly sure what the NFL wanted. He’d led the league in picks despite sometimes practicing just one day a week; he’d proved he still had it.
But the age questions came up again, and all Law could do was train harder in St. Louis with famed track coach Bob Kersee and wait while his agents did all the maneuvering.

“I really don’t think he’s lost much,” said NFL.com analyst Gil Brandt, a former Cowboys executive. “He’s a guy that is over the wall, but he’s really not a descending player. He’s still playing very well.

“I guess if I put him in a flat foot race, he probably wouldn’t be the fastest guy in the world. But he makes up for the lack of speed because he has such a great feel for the game. I think (president/general manager) Carl Peterson should be congratulated. It’s a great pickup.”

Peterson, who stood near the front to listen while Law spoke, laughed when Law joked that he’d probably wish he held out longer once camp started and his legs were sore. The front office may have initially balked at Law’s price tag, but they loved his jewelry collection — Law won three Super Bowl rings with the Patriots, just two less than the entire Chiefs roster has collected.

Edwards, who coached Law last year in New York, said he didn’t hesitate to pick the corner with a bad foot because “he was better than guys with two good feet.”

Everybody standing in suits and shorts Tuesday agreed that Law isn’t in Kansas City to be a savior for a defense that finished near the bottom of the NFL for the better part of the Dick Vermeil era. But if Law’s training habits can rub off on some of the younger folk …

“He won’t be boisterous and all that,” Edwards said. “He’ll just come and sit over there, and he’ll just be Ty Law. If guys ask for information, he’ll give it. He’ll help younger guys, but he’s not looking for attention.

“This guy lovTes playing football. Football is not a hobby and it’s not about money to this guy. It’s about this guy leaving his legacy as a great football player. That’s what he believes in and that’s what he loves to do. When you watch him play, you will see it on Sunday.”

Law joked that he feels comfortable now that his teammates are closer to his age. Pro Bowl safety Sammy Knight is 30, and so is cornerback Patrick Surtain.

Edwards may crave youth, but it’s obvious he was willing to make an exception for Law. In the days when speculation swirled that the five-time Pro Bowler was going everywhere from New England to Seattle, Edwards told Law he going to do whatever he could to make the acquisition happen.

“I can’t say one person can be the savior for any football team,” Law said. “Football is a team sport. If I can be a piece of the puzzle … They were one game away from the playoffs last year. Hopefully, my presence can get them that one game.”

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/15122440.htm