PDA

View Full Version : Any animal experts here? I would love to know what the hell this thing is.

pr_capone
07-27-2006, 12:44 AM
http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=18729

Looks like a damn piece of carpet that sprouted legs and is making a break for it.

Dunit35
07-27-2006, 12:45 AM
That's not an animal, it's a bug....that's all I know.

blueballs
07-27-2006, 12:48 AM
youthtube needs it's own forum

greg63
07-27-2006, 12:51 AM
Does it come complete with AA batteries?

The Dude Abides
07-27-2006, 01:41 AM
Almost looks like a mutated chihuahua. Damn thing gave me the creeps

Halfcan
07-27-2006, 01:44 AM
"Don't touch it"

Tactical Funky
07-27-2006, 03:20 AM
I've seen all sorts of insects in my time, but...

WHAT

THE

****!?!?! :hmmm:

BucEyedPea
07-27-2006, 06:19 AM
Does it come complete with AA batteries?

That's what I was thinkin'....looked kinda like those battery operated walking toy animals they have in toy stores for kids.

Other than that...the question at the top of the page seems to be what it is: a very hairy, perhaps the hairiest caterpillar. If so. Next question: Wonda what kinda butterfly it will change into? I don't want to even think about it.

Tatertot13
07-27-2006, 07:19 AM
A couple of people on YouTube seem to think that it's a "Puss Moth" Caterpillar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puss_Moth

I on the other hand think it's a toy

DJay23
07-27-2006, 07:24 AM
That's not an animal, it's a bug....that's all I know.
Bugs are animals.

wilas101
07-27-2006, 07:25 AM
I'm going with toy as well. It was filmed to look small but the tile/brick/whatever that it was crawling across made me thinki it was much larger than a caterpillar. Plus the movements seemed way to mechanical to be a living creature.

wilas101
07-27-2006, 07:27 AM
hrm...after watching again I think I was wrong on the size... it probably is caterpillar sized.

I still think the movements are too machine like though

jiveturkey
07-27-2006, 07:38 AM
I'd step on it.

Demonpenz
07-27-2006, 08:01 AM
robin williams bug

DJay23
07-27-2006, 08:15 AM
After watching the video very carefully:

-At first I thought it was fake. looked too much like a toy to me, both the color, movement, and pace of the thing.

-After watching a couple of things I noticed that the head doesn't move the same way with each pass of the legs. It starts out bobbing left, then right, then left, then right. Eventually though it bobs left twice, then later right twice. This to me would suggest that it is not a toy. REAL

-The body undulations start out with a pretty good amplitude (look at how the hair on it's back separates). The movement looks pretty fluid and real, though toys can match that movement pretty well. HOwever, at the end of the video the amplitude seems to decrease. It may however be a case of parallax as the angle that the camera is pointing at the thing has changed. A change in amplitude could make it real as it seems to have happened as it approached a chair or table leg. If it were a toy, it's amplitude would not have changed most likely, it would have slowed down. REAL

-The legs are the most perplexing to me. It seems as if the movement the thing is not aided much at all by the legs. The legs seem to sort of just sweep feebly at the sides making no difference whatsoever whcih of course suggests toy. In addition, when I think about a caterpillar, I think of the legs being directly beneath the body. Having legs to the side like that, they would have to be very strong or have joints in them, which these do not appear to have. TOY

-The color looks a lot like ALF. Would be an effective camo on a light colored tree or in some kind of clay dirt environment, but makes it look more like a TOY

After this drawn out analysis, I have no idea whether it is real or not. I'm sort of leaning toward toy.

Braincase
07-27-2006, 08:18 AM
Puss Caterpillar? More like a f*ck-you-up caterpillar...
http://a876.g.akamai.net/7/876/1448/v00001/images.webmd.com/images/hw/media69/medical/hw/h9991032.jpg

From WebMD
Puss caterpillar (http://www.webmd.com/hw/health_guide_atoz/tm6502.asp)

The puss caterpillar, or woolly slug, is the most poisonous caterpillar in the United States. Its poison is hidden in hollow spines among its hairs. This hairy caterpillar is found in the southern states, ranging west through most of Texas and north to Maryland and Missouri. It feeds on shade trees such as elm, oak, and sycamore. Puss caterpillars vary in size from 1.2 in.(32 mm) to 1.4 in.(36 mm).

See a photograph of a puss caterpillar.

Symptoms of puss caterpillar contact may include:

Immediate, intense pain that often comes in waves.
A swelling, itching rash of red blotches and raised ridges.
Restlessness and anxiety.
Nausea and vomiting.
Fever.
Muscle cramps.
Swollen glands.
Symptoms of shock.
If you come into contact with a puss caterpillar, remove the broken-off spines by using cellophane tape or a commercial facial peel, and call your health professional.

Demonpenz
07-27-2006, 08:21 AM
god works in crazy ways. Lets make the most cuddley animal the most dangerous

Gonzo
07-27-2006, 10:25 AM
Speaking of freaky bugs.....

Camel Spider

pr_capone
07-27-2006, 11:57 AM
Speaking of freaky bugs.....

Camel Spider

Yeh... those are 2 camel spiders hanging on to one another. Still freaky though.

We had a guy that would one around camp with a leash. :D Good times.

The Dude Abides
07-27-2006, 02:40 PM
robin williams bug
ROFL

Fish
07-27-2006, 02:41 PM
After watching the video very carefully:

-At first I thought it was fake. looked too much like a toy to me, both the color, movement, and pace of the thing.

-After watching a couple of things I noticed that the head doesn't move the same way with each pass of the legs. It starts out bobbing left, then right, then left, then right. Eventually though it bobs left twice, then later right twice. This to me would suggest that it is not a toy. REAL

-The body undulations start out with a pretty good amplitude (look at how the hair on it's back separates). The movement looks pretty fluid and real, though toys can match that movement pretty well. HOwever, at the end of the video the amplitude seems to decrease. It may however be a case of parallax as the angle that the camera is pointing at the thing has changed. A change in amplitude could make it real as it seems to have happened as it approached a chair or table leg. If it were a toy, it's amplitude would not have changed most likely, it would have slowed down. REAL

-The legs are the most perplexing to me. It seems as if the movement the thing is not aided much at all by the legs. The legs seem to sort of just sweep feebly at the sides making no difference whatsoever whcih of course suggests toy. In addition, when I think about a caterpillar, I think of the legs being directly beneath the body. Having legs to the side like that, they would have to be very strong or have joints in them, which these do not appear to have. TOY

-The color looks a lot like ALF. Would be an effective camo on a light colored tree or in some kind of clay dirt environment, but makes it look more like a TOY

After this drawn out analysis, I have no idea whether it is real or not. I'm sort of leaning toward toy.

You crackhead..... if you can't tell that's a live insect you need your head examined.