PDA

View Full Version : Football 201

luv
07-27-2006, 02:00 AM
Hopefully, I graduated from Football 101 last year. Although, I'll probably still ask questions that I asked last year. Please just bear with me.

Let's start with some basics on the salary cap. What are some need-to-knows? Remember, I'm starting from scratch here.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Moooo
07-27-2006, 02:10 AM
No help here. All I know is a contract can say so much, but it doesn't mean they'll get that much (that isn't the case in baseball and I think basketball).

I'd say salary cap is like Football 501. That stuff is hard to keep up with.

Moooo

luv
07-27-2006, 02:12 AM
No help here. All I know is a contract can say so much, but it doesn't mean they'll get that much (that isn't the case in baseball and I think basketball).

I'd say salary cap is like Football 501. That stuff is hard to keep up with.

Moooo
I see. Well, I'm sure I'll think up other questions as I go along. I always do. :)

Mecca
07-27-2006, 02:14 AM
What exactly about the salary cap are you wanting to know?

luv
07-27-2006, 02:17 AM
What exactly about the salary cap are you wanting to know?
Well, it's the talk right now, as it usually is during training camp/preseason. How much is our cap, how much room have we made by releasing players, what's a standard/average contract worth, etc?

Mecca
07-27-2006, 02:19 AM
Well the truth is no one ever really knows exactly what the teams cap figure is do to restructures of contracts and things like that.

My guess is after Ty Law and the rookies are signed we'll be pretty damn close to the cap.

The cap this year is something like uh 90 million dollars I think. Don't quote me on that because I'm not exactly certain.

el borracho
07-27-2006, 02:42 AM
The cap is a limit on money paid to players. Each team may retain 55 players each season and their salaries and bonuses for that season may not exceed the cap unless you are the cap-cheating Donkeys in which case you can take the vasoline from your jersey, coat your hands and go fist yourself while whistling 'I'm a Yankee Doodle Dandee'. But I digress... The purpose of the cap is to equalize the teams and eliminate dynasties such as the 70s Steelers, the 80s 'Niners and the 90s Cowbitches.

Uh, what else?... Oh, signing bonuses are prorated against the cap for the length of the contract unless that contract is terminated early in which case the remaining cap number is applied to the current season's cap.

luv
07-27-2006, 02:43 AM
I was just thinking. I'm gonna be like one of those annoying wives who's always asking questions during the game...lol. I promise to ask them before and after.

luv
07-27-2006, 02:45 AM
The cap is a limit on money paid to players. Each team may retain 55 players each season and their salaries and bonuses for that season may not exceed the cap unless you are the cap-cheating Donkeys in which case you can take the vasoline from your jersey, coat your hands and go fist yourself while whistling 'I'm a Yankee Doodle Dandee'. But I digress... The purpose of the cap is to equalize the teams and eliminate dynasties such as the 70s Steelers, the 80s 'Niners and the 90s Cowbitches.

Uh, what else?... Oh, signing bonuses are prorated against the cap for the length of the contract unless that contract is terminated early in which case the remaining cap number is applied to the current season's cap.
Thank you. Very helpful. That last part is going to require a little more thought than I'm capable of at this hour, but I will definitely ponder on it later.

Mecca
07-27-2006, 03:03 AM
53 not 55.........And when you cut a player and his signing bonus money accelerates onto your cap it depends when you do it. If you do it after June 1 it splits into that year and the next year instead of taking it all at once.

penguinz
07-27-2006, 06:22 AM
Well the truth is no one ever really knows exactly what the teams cap figure is do to restructures of contracts and things like that.

My guess is after Ty Law and the rookies are signed we'll be pretty damn close to the cap.

The cap this year is something like uh 90 million dollars I think. Don't quote me on that because I'm not exactly certain.I think it is more like 104M.

Warrior5
07-27-2006, 07:14 AM
Each team may retain 55 players each season and their salaries and bonuses for that season may not exceed the cap unless you are the cap-cheating Donkeys in which case you can take the vasoline from your jersey, coat your hands and go fist yourself while whistling 'I'm a Yankee Doodle Dandee'. But I digress...

Rep to you for starting my day with a Donk bash.

BucEyedPea
07-27-2006, 07:25 AM
... salaries and bonuses for that season may not exceed the cap unless you are the cap-cheating Donkey...

Don't forget the Dolt's...weren't they fined for cheating too?

Otter
07-27-2006, 07:59 AM
Salary cap is higher than 201 and just about the equivalent of Calculus in terms of understanding and practical application.

I really wouldn't worry about.

foxman
07-27-2006, 08:04 AM
Uh, what else?... Oh, signing bonuses are prorated against the cap for the length of the contract

This is a huge advantage to certain owners who are willing to pay big signing bonuses. The contract's are typicaly not guarrenteed. Since they are not guarrenteed, the player may actually only see a portion of the original number that is published, do to restructure or release. A big signing bonus is guarrenteed, so when Daniel Snyder pays a guy a 10 million dollar bonus and a base salary of say 1 million for 5 years, it's a much better deal than a team that offered the same player the same overall money but with a much smaller signing bonus.

That was one of the big offseason discussions between owners and one of the reasons that there was such a delay on getting a new CBA this past offseason.