PDA

View Full Version : Browns center Bentley hurts knee in contact drill

Tatertot13
07-27-2006, 11:38 AM
All that money and he gets hurt on the first day of camp.

BEREA, Ohio -- Pro Bowl center LeCharles Bentley, one of Cleveland's biggest free-agent signings this winter, injured his left knee during the Browns' first 11-on-11 drill of training camp on Thursday.

Bentley got tangled in a pile of players as he was blocking on a running play for Reuben Droughns.

Bentley screamed, "No," before remaining on his knees as the Browns moved their scrimmage up the field so the 6-foot-2, 309-pounder could be attended to. He stayed on the ground in a seated position for several minutes before Cleveland's medical staff immobilized his left knee and carted him to the locker room.

Bentley covered his face with a towel on the short drive to the field house as Browns players and fans looked on in shock.

"I don't know what happened," quarterback Charlie Frye said. "You just hope it's not too serious. Right now, we're just praying for LeCharles."

Coach Romeo Crennel said Bentley was taken to a hospital for an MRI. Crennel wouldn't speculate on the nature of Bentley's injury.

"I'm going to wait until after the doctors see it," said Crennel, who wasn't sure how Bentley got hurt. "I hate to see anybody go down. Sometimes feet get tangled and guys end up on the ground."

Crennel had his players only in shoulder pads for the two-hour morning workout, hoping that staying out of full pads on Day 2 of camp would help them avoid injuries.

The Browns have been cursed with serious injuries the past few seasons. On Thursday, tight end Kellen Winslow practiced for the first time in two years in pads after missing the past two seasons with leg injuries.

Bentley, a two-time Pro Bowler who was regarded as one of the offseason's premier unrestricted free agents, signed a six-year, $36 million deal in March that included $12.5 million in guaranteed money.

the Talking Can
07-27-2006, 11:42 AM
god, this where shit can go wrong real fast....pray to your gods, karma, whatever....a healthy camp please!

Mr. Laz
07-27-2006, 11:43 AM
Bentley covered his face with a towel on the short drive to the field house

usually not a good sign

Tatertot13
07-27-2006, 11:48 AM
usually not a good sign

Bentley screamed, "No," before remaining on his knees

Also probably not a good sign

StcChief
07-27-2006, 11:52 AM
Bummer. It's a tough sport.

Rain Man
07-27-2006, 11:54 AM
We'll see how serious it is, but it's interesting that there are a few players who go down for the count in camp every year. Sylvester Morris, anyone?

tomahawk kid
07-27-2006, 12:01 PM
We'll see how serious it is, but it's interesting that there are a few players who go down for the count in camp every year. Sylvester Morris, anyone?

That one still makes me want to puke.

Dude went down in mini-camp and NEVER recovered.

Ultra Peanut
07-27-2006, 12:23 PM
October 21, 1893 Page 1
His leg torn off and He Died.
George Marvin, a deck hand on the City of Duluth, who had one of his legs torn off by getting fouled in a line Tuesday, at the locks, died at the Marine hospital Thursday night at 7 o'clock.

htismaqe
07-27-2006, 12:23 PM
That one still makes me want to puke.

Dude went down in mini-camp and NEVER recovered.

At least he got hurt playing football...

*cough*Percy Snow*cough*

Rain Man
07-27-2006, 12:28 PM
October 21, 1893 Page 1
His leg torn off and He Died.
George Marvin, a deck hand on the City of Duluth, who had one of his legs torn off by getting fouled in a line Tuesday, at the locks, died at the Marine hospital Thursday night at 7 o'clock.

Some high school girl here was going to the prom earlier this year, and the limo driver took off just as she was getting into the limo. She got dragged under it for half a block, and I read that one of her legs was torn off, taking part of her hip with it. They said that it's doubtful that she'll even be able to sit upright any more due to the hip damage. It makes me curl up in a fetal position to even think about it.

The Poz
07-27-2006, 02:12 PM
Browns | Bentley could be out for season
Thu, 27 Jul 2006 12:51:28 -0700

John Clayton, of ESPN.com, reports Cleveland Browns C LeCharles Bentley (knee) has suffered a potentially season-ending injury to his patellar tendon in his left knee.

Demonpenz
07-27-2006, 02:42 PM
yeah i have had knee problems. You know when it's bad and when it's just a strain