PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs agree with first-rounder Hali

Tatertot13
07-27-2006, 12:24 PM
Chiefs agree with first-rounder Hali

The Kansas City Chiefs have reached agreement with first-round draft choice Tamba Hali, the standout defensive end from Penn State, on a five-year contract, ESPN.com has learned. Financial details of the deal were not immediately available.

The 20th overall choice in the draft, Hali has expected to play an important role as the Chiefs implement a cover two scheme under new coach Herm Edwards.

Hali played in 47 games at Penn State, and started 34 of them, registering 179 tackles, including 36 tackles for losses. He had 14 sacks, two forced fumbles, one fumble recovery and one interception.

A native of Liberia, Hali is noted for his big motor and intensity, along with his big-play skills. Some teams dropped him on their draft boards because of what they felt were slow 40-yard times, but the Chiefs had no such concerns.

Fire Me Boy!
07-27-2006, 12:25 PM
You should try doing this...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2531228

Hammock Parties
07-27-2006, 12:26 PM
Fantastic. Now if Croyle will holdout for about two weeks my article will have credibility.

chief4life
07-27-2006, 12:27 PM
Sweet :) nice job

Halfcan
07-27-2006, 12:29 PM
REPOST!!!!!!!!!

BIG_DADDY
Cool. They ever get his mother out of there?

BIG_DADDY
REPOST!!!!!!!!!
ROFL

Megbert
07-27-2006, 12:30 PM
DAMMIT CARL :cuss:

Tatertot13
07-27-2006, 12:34 PM
REPOST!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I know. I was about a minute late. :rolleyes:

Halfcan
07-27-2006, 12:35 PM
This is old news-check with me next time before trying to break a story that was posted at 1:51 am last night-lol

Warrior5
07-27-2006, 12:38 PM
This is old news-check with me next time before trying to break a story that was posted at 1:51 am last night-lol

Bomb bay doors closing. Scoop rep to you, Halfcan.

Halfcan
07-27-2006, 12:44 PM
Bomb bay doors closing. Scoop rep to you, Halfcan.

Yep I wasn't worried, I actually scooped every paper and sports site in the entire world-lol

Tatertot13
07-27-2006, 12:53 PM
Yeah I guess I could have said that I heard from a friend two days ago that he signed and I would have beat you to it. Maybe next time.

Eleazar
07-27-2006, 01:01 PM
Yeah I guess I could have said that I heard from a friend two days ago that he signed and I would have beat you to it. Maybe next time.

ROFL

hypersensitiveZO6
07-27-2006, 01:06 PM
Great news.

GoChiefs has got me worried about Croyle now.

Hammock Parties
07-27-2006, 01:21 PM
Awesome.

Bootlegged
07-27-2006, 01:23 PM
Welcome Vonnie Holliday II.

chiefqueen
07-27-2006, 01:25 PM
This can't be...my ESPN phone hasn't alerted me yet.

Mecca
07-27-2006, 01:27 PM
Welcome Vonnie Holliday II.

That's harsh.....

hypersensitiveZO6
07-27-2006, 01:28 PM
Awesome.

Yes. :thumb:

The article succeeded in it's purpose.

For your first article, I was very impressed.

I have a feeling Croyle has a Grbac virus deep within. :cuss:

htismaqe
07-27-2006, 01:29 PM
That's harsh.....

Not really. It's more dumb than anything else.

Bootlegged
07-27-2006, 01:31 PM
Not really. It's more dumb than anything else.

"more dumb" ?

Mecca
07-27-2006, 01:33 PM
"more dumb" ?

Well that's how you say it.......dumber isn't a word, even though people seem to think it is.

Bootlegged
07-27-2006, 01:34 PM
Well that's how you say it.......dumber isn't a word, even though people seem to think it is.

Yeah, but I like Hali.

htismaqe
07-27-2006, 01:37 PM
"more dumb" ?

Yes.

It's simultaneously dumb, harsh, and several other things.

But it's mostly just dumb. :D

penchief
07-27-2006, 02:21 PM

Not only that, if dumber were a word, "dumber than anything else" would imply that it was dumber than anything else in existence. More dumb implies that the statement was more dumb than it was anything else. While the statement might have been more dumb than it was anything else it wasn't the most dumbest thing ever.

ChiefaRoo
07-27-2006, 03:00 PM
how about using "Most bodaciously dumbest?"

MyChiefConcern
07-27-2006, 03:04 PM
Some teams dropped him on their draft boards because of what they felt were slow 40-yard times, but the Chiefs had no such concerns.

http://www.rotary13.org/Images/Speakers/carl_d_peterson.jpg

And that, my friends, is the very image of a man who has experienced great success in going against the NFL Draft grain.

go bo
07-27-2006, 03:06 PM
Not only that, if dumber were a word, "dumber than anything else" would imply that it was dumber than anything else in existence. More dumb implies that the statement was more dumb than it was anything else. While the statement might have been more dumb than it was anything else it wasn't the most dumbest thing ever.but it is equally possible to be dumber than your run of the mill dumb...

dumbness does have degrees, you know... :harumph: :harumph: :harumph:

Red Dawg
07-27-2006, 03:09 PM
UNBELIEVEABLE! Carl is on a roll.

Lzen
07-27-2006, 03:23 PM
Nice job, Carl. :thumb:

htismaqe
07-27-2006, 03:27 PM
http://www.rotary13.org/Images/Speakers/carl_d_peterson.jpg

And that, my friends, is the very image of a man who has experienced great success in going against the NFL Draft grain.

Of course, drafing Hali was a 180-degree change from Peterson's normal modus operandi...so how do you reconcile that?

milkman
07-27-2006, 09:28 PM
Not only that, if dumber were a word, "dumber than anything else" would imply that it was dumber than anything else in existence. More dumb implies that the statement was more dumb than it was anything else. While the statement might have been more dumb than it was anything else it wasn't the most dumbest thing ever.

I am completely dumbfounded by this dumbassery!

Gaz
07-27-2006, 10:13 PM
Of course, drafing Hali was a 180-degree change from Peterson's normal modus operandi...so how do you reconcile that?

I dunno..

Maybe your preconception of Carl was [gasp] slanted and perhaps [gasp again] flawed?

xoxo~
Gaz
Doubts any card-carrying Carl Hater on ChiefsPlanet will cop to being [gasp yet again] wrong.

milkman
07-27-2006, 10:28 PM
I dunno..

Maybe your preconception of Carl was [gasp] slanted and perhaps [gasp again] flawed?

xoxo~
Gaz
Doubts any card-carrying Carl Hater on ChiefsPlanet will cop to being [gasp yet again] wrong.

I don't think it's Parker's perception.

He and I, among others, have always argued that Carl secures the talent that his coach wants.

Hali is a player that Herm had to be high on for Carl to draft him.

I think that Parker was actually trying to make the same point you are.

MyChiefConcern
07-27-2006, 10:33 PM
He and I, among others, have always argued that Carl secures the talent that his coach wants.

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/050911/050911_larry_johnson_hmed.hmedium.jpg

EDIT:

Which isn't to say, obviously, that Larry Johnson wasn't a great pick. He was, though I doubt Carl knew how great he'd be when he took him.

The point I was trying to make with my original post is that our early round picks have a habit of being guys who are considered reaches by most of the draft experts. Trezelle Jenkins, Ryan Sims, Junior Siavii...and now Tamba Hali.

Hali may turn out to be a great player. I'm assuming that he has much more of a work ethic and/or desire to perform than the other three I just listed. However, he was perceived as a slow, somewhat weak DE for the NFL, who may have been available in the second round.

I hope I'm wrong, because if I am, and Hali can provide instant impact at DE...our D could be pretty salty. Good pass rush, fortified secondary. I like it a lot.

Mecca
07-27-2006, 10:35 PM
http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/050911/050911_larry_johnson_hmed.hmedium.jpg

The one exception in the entire time Vermiel was here.....and he whined about it everyday for 2 years.

htismaqe
07-28-2006, 05:35 AM

EDIT:

Which isn't to say, obviously, that Larry Johnson wasn't a great pick. He was, though I doubt Carl knew how great he'd be when he took him.

The point I was trying to make with my original post is that our early round picks have a habit of being guys who are considered reaches by most of the draft experts. Trezelle Jenkins, Ryan Sims, Junior Siavii...and now Tamba Hali.

Hali may turn out to be a great player. I'm assuming that he has much more of a work ethic and/or desire to perform than the other three I just listed. However, he was perceived as a slow, somewhat weak DE for the NFL, who may have been available in the second round.

I hope I'm wrong, because if I am, and Hali can provide instant impact at DE...our D could be pretty salty. Good pass rush, fortified secondary. I like it a lot.

First of all, Tamba Hali was NOT A REACH. And the fact that you keep saying it only serves to make you look stupid. He was a low 1st-round prospect on EVERY draft board until about 2 weeks before the draft. His stock dropped at a time when NOTHING was happening, he wasn't working out, so the only reason it could have dropped was because some Internet ****nut like Mike Mayock had too much time on his hands -- see Derrick Johnson.

As for my comment, I wasn't talking about reaches, nor was I talking about letting a coach make the decision (althought, that's a good point).

I was talking about the fact that Carl once again, like with DJ and LJ, threw the workouts out the window and took a FOOTBALL PLAYER - a guy from a big conference that produced EVERY GAME.

MyChiefConcern
07-28-2006, 01:52 PM
First of all, Tamba Hali was NOT A REACH.

*shrug*

I watched the NFL Draft, same as you, and I remember Mel Kiper calling him a reach. I also remember him saying the same thing on ESPN Radio the next day, as did John Clayton.

I think it's funny that you're getting so worked up over my comments, however.

I was talking about the fact that Carl once again, like with DJ and LJ, threw the workouts out the window and took a FOOTBALL PLAYER - a guy from a big conference that produced EVERY GAME.

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about here. You're making it sound like Carl went "Screw it. Larry Johnson is a football player, and I'm drafting him! I don't care what we need!", rather than it being an obvious bid at leverage in contract talks with Priest Holmes. It worked out beautifully for us though, so I'm not complaining. But you're trying to paint it as something it wasn't.

Regarding DJ...again, I watched the same draft as you, and I remember all of the analysts present were surprised when Derrick Johnson dropped to where KC could pick him. I'd hardly call that a reach. You didn't hear anyone saying "Well, we thought he would be available in the late 1st or early 2nd round, so this is kind of a reach for KC." They unanimously called it a great pick. And it was.

None of those situations resemble the selection of Tamba Hali, who I've already said could easily turn out to be a great player. As a Chiefs fan, I hope he does.