PDA

View Full Version : Anyone experienced with Azrock Vinyl Composition Tile?

NewChief
07-27-2006, 09:49 PM
We're looking at laying this stuff in our bathrooms, but we're concerned about durability and whether it's a DYI project or not. I've done a lot of tile work in the past, but never worked with this stuff. Anyone have any experience and/or advice with it?
Here's a link (http://www.tarkett-commercial.com/floors/site/en-us/topic/azrock/article/12544/article.asp).

Bugeater
07-27-2006, 09:53 PM
That stuff is used all the time in commercial buildings, so I wouldn't worry about durability. Personally, I'd rather lay linoleum than screw with cutting all those squares though.

Moooo
07-27-2006, 09:57 PM
We're looking at laying this stuff in our bathrooms, but we're concerned about durability and whether it's a DYI project or not. I've done a lot of tile work in the past, but never worked with this stuff. Anyone have any experience and/or advice with it?
Here's a link (http://www.tarkett-commercial.com/floors/site/en-us/topic/azrock/article/12544/article.asp).

How do you cut it to size? I'm guessing you don't have to use a system like ceramic, but at the same time it may require something other than bandsaw.

Moooo

alanm
07-27-2006, 09:59 PM
If you've laid quite a bit of tile you know to pay attention to patterns and don't skimp on the glue. Buy a good brand. Other than that it's not that tough to lay except around the toilet.

NewChief
07-27-2006, 10:00 PM
How do you cut it to size? I'm guessing you don't have to use a system like ceramic, but at the same time it may require something other than bandsaw.

Moooo

My understanding is that you cut via score and break. The bad thing is that it's a bathroom. The good thing is that it's a small area. You have to buy it by the box of 45, so I'll have plenty of extra pieces to screw up and cuss at before I get it right.;)

alanm
07-27-2006, 10:00 PM
Durability wise it will still be in good shape untill you get sick of looking at it. :)

Donger
07-27-2006, 10:01 PM
Sorry, no help here. I did, however, just watch a guy lay ceramic tile in our master bath.

$2K seemed a bit pricey for three days work, but WTF.

alanm
07-27-2006, 10:02 PM
My understanding is that you cut via score and break. The bad thing is that it's a bathroom. The good thing is that it's a small area. You have to buy it by the box of 45, so I'll have plenty of extra pieces to screw up and cuss at before I get it right.;)
Easiest way to do it is to score it. But you could probably find a cheap tile cutter at Home Depot or Lowes.

NewChief
Durability wise it will still be in good shape untill you get sick of looking at it. :)

Heh, yeah. I've watched the poor maintenance guys at a school replacing tiles that got screwed up. Blowtorch and electric scraper. FUN FUN!

Bugeater

Moooo
I've seen some installers heat it up with a propane torch to soften it and cut it with a utility knife. That said, I'm not sure if that is the manufacturer's recommended method. :)

Donger
If you've laid quite a bit of tile you know to pay attention to patterns and don't skimp on the glue. Buy a good brand. Other than that it's not that tough to lay except around the toilet.

Around the toilet? Why wouldn't you just pull it out, lay the tile and re-seat it?

NewChief
Easiest way to do it is to score it. But you could probably find a cheap tile cutter at Home Depot or Lowes.

I have access to a tile saw, so that's no problem if it will work on it.

alanm
07-27-2006, 10:04 PM
Sorry, no help here. I did, however, just watch a guy lay ceramic tile in our master bath.

How big was the bathroom? I did quite a bit of tile and carpet work when I was going to college years ago. And both my Bro in laws are installers. Damn good money :thumb:

NewChief
07-27-2006, 10:05 PM

The actual laying of tile is super easy. The knowledge to do it right so that you're laying it on the proper material (hardy backer or whatever) is where you can screw it up. I just helped a buddy grout a slate floor on his screened in porch this morning, though. For anyone whose ever had that pleasure, I'm sure you can feeel my pain. Grouting regular tile is a cinch. Grouting slate... :cuss: :banghead:

Donger
07-27-2006, 10:05 PM
How big was the bathroom? I did quite a bit of tile and carpet work when I was going to college years ago. And both my Bro in laws are installers. Damn good money :thumb:

I don't know, to be honest. Probably 150 SQF.

alanm
07-27-2006, 10:06 PM
I have access to a tile saw, so that's no problem if it will work on it.
If it's a ceramic tile saw it will just rip it up. You need something like a paper cutter type deal.

Donger
07-27-2006, 10:07 PM
The actual laying of tile is super easy. The knowledge to do it right so that you're laying it on the proper material (hardy backer or whatever) is where you can screw it up. I just helped a buddy grout a slate floor on his screened in porch this morning, though. For anyone whose ever had that pleasure, I'm sure you can feeel my pain. Grouting regular tile is a cinch. Grouting slate... :cuss: :banghead:

No, I've no idea. I did seal the grout on this floor though. I felt very handy. Then again, I had no idea that grout needed to be sealed. The gay guy at Home Depot filled me in.

NewChief
07-27-2006, 10:08 PM
If it's a ceramic tile saw it will just rip it up. You need something like a paper cutter type deal.

Gotcha. I was sort of thinking the same thing about an actual tile saw. You're talking about the tile breaker things that look like a paper cutter. I can probably wrangle one of those up as well. Thanks for the advice.

NewChief
07-27-2006, 10:09 PM
No, I've no idea. I did seal the grout on this floor though. I felt very handy. Then again, I had no idea that grout needed to be sealed. The gay guy at Home Depot filled me in.

Did he sell you one of those cute little bottles with the roller attachment to apply the sealant?

alanm
07-27-2006, 10:09 PM
I don't know, to be honest. Probably 150 SQF.
I'm assuming that includes walls and shower. But it does seem a little high. I hope to hell they did outstanding work.

NewChief
07-27-2006, 10:10 PM
I'm assuming that includes walls and shower. But it does seem a little high. I hope to hell they did outstanding work.

Heh. That's my problem. When I framed houses we had a saying when we screwed something up: "Can't see it from my house." Great work ethic to build for construction, since now all the work I do is my house. I'm actually getting better, but cranked-out stick framing crews aren't the best places in the world to learn the finer points of home remodeling and making things look pretty.

Donger
07-27-2006, 10:11 PM
Did he sell you one of those cute little bottles with the roller attachment to apply the sealant?

Hell no. It had a brush. $7.50.

Donger
07-27-2006, 10:13 PM

No. That's just the floor.

For some weird reason, they carpet the bathrooms in Colorado. So, we ripped that out as well as the vinyl in the head.

alanm
07-27-2006, 10:14 PM
Gotcha. I was sort of thinking the same thing about an actual tile saw. You're talking about the tile breaker things that look like a paper cutter. I can probably wrangle one of those up as well. Thanks for the advice.
Yeah. You don't want to use a actual saw on VC tile.

NewChief
07-27-2006, 10:14 PM
Alright, I can now give my wife the stamp of approval on her material choice. Thanks for all the help. I gotta go to bed.

alanm
07-27-2006, 10:16 PM
No. That's just the floor.

For some weird reason, they carpet the bathrooms in Colorado. So, we ripped that out as well as the vinyl in the head.
A lot of people put carpet in the bathrooms. I'd never do it cause if the toilet overflows you're f*cked but people like a warm floor. :shrug:

Moooo
07-27-2006, 10:28 PM
A lot of people put carpet in the bathrooms. I'd never do it cause if the toilet overflows you're f*cked but people like a warm floor. :shrug:

I know a guy who put in heated tile systems. He said they were cheaper than you thought, but still in the 4 digit range.

The Air Conditioned Tiles were pricey, though.

Moooo

Phobia
07-27-2006, 10:28 PM
grouting slate... :cuss: :banghead:

I do a lot of slate work. You have to seal each piece BEFORE you lay them. Yeah, it's an extra step but it saves double the time scrubbing grout off of the finished product.

PastorMikH
07-27-2006, 10:41 PM
I do a lot of slate work. You have to seal each piece BEFORE you lay them. Yeah, it's an extra step but it saves double the time scrubbing grout off of the finished product.

Did you by chance learn this the same way NewChief did this morning???

Phobia
07-27-2006, 11:11 PM
Did you by chance learn this the same way NewChief did this morning???

Yeah - it took me once.