PDA

View Full Version : Anyone catching Miami Vice this weekend?

Nzoner
07-27-2006, 09:53 PM
I've never been much on all these remakes and if I see them at all I usually wait until the DVD release.When I first heard about MV I thought the same thing until I saw that Michael Mann was directing it.

I'm looking forward to it now,in fact so much so I'm going to try and make the noon showing tomorrow.

kc rush
07-27-2006, 09:58 PM
I'll check it out on video only because Michael Mann directed it. He did direct for the series too.

My only worry is that Shawn Edwards is giving it positive quotes. That is usually a bad sign for me.

Deberg_1990
07-27-2006, 10:03 PM
Im definately going to check it out. IM a huge Michael Mann fan. All the reviews i have read so far said it was outstanding. Its sort of Mann re-inventing his original TV show idea. I heard it bears little resemblence to the show though.

Nzoner
07-27-2006, 10:03 PM
I'll check it out on video only because Michael Mann directed it. He did direct for the series too.

Not only did he direct some episodes he created the series.

Garcia Bronco
07-27-2006, 10:11 PM
No...least we forget it was TV series because the idea wasn't good enough to be a movie....this is another attempt in a long long of dumb remakes

Deberg_1990
07-27-2006, 10:15 PM
No...least we forget it was TV series because the idea wasn't good enough to be a movie....this is another attempt in a long long of dumb remakes

If it were anyone but the orginal creator making it i would have my doubts. But Michael Mann is one of the top directors working today.

Nzoner
07-27-2006, 10:18 PM
Mann is my favorite director as I have yet to see a film of his I didn't like

Thief
The Keep
Manhunter
Last Of The Mohicans
Heat
The Insider

Have to admit i never got around to seeing Ali

Garcia Bronco
07-27-2006, 10:20 PM
If it were anyone but the orginal creator making it i would have my doubts. But Michael Mann is one of the top directors working today.

That's different...but I'll wait until it's bundled with the Starchsky and Hutch DVD at targetROFL

Deberg_1990
07-27-2006, 10:24 PM
Mann is my favorite director as I have yet to see a film of his I didn't like

Thief
The Keep
Manhunter
Last Of The Mohicans
Heat
The Insider

Have to admit i never got around to seeing Ali

Wheres the love for Collateral?? Great flick.

The Keep is one whacked out flick and most people forget it was directed by Mann.

Ali is the only one i have never watched either. Just not really that interested in the material i guess. The few scenes ive seen on TV looked decent though.

KCChiefsMan
07-27-2006, 10:25 PM
I'll rent it when it comes out on DVD

Pitt Gorilla
07-27-2006, 10:29 PM
Wow, you must really like pastels and white suits.

unlurking
07-27-2006, 10:29 PM
That's different...but I'll wait until it's bundled with the Starchsky and Hutch DVD at targetROFL
hahaha

I don't know what the hoopla is about the "original director". This shit sucked the original time around. No way in hell I will ever watch this crap.

Nzoner
07-27-2006, 10:30 PM
Wheres the love for Collateral?? Great flick.

The Keep is one whacked out flick and most people forget it was directed by Mann.

Actually forgot about Collateral,probably because it was my least fav of his movies.

I've not met many who've seen The Keep,strange flick for sure but I've watched it numerous times.

Deberg_1990
07-27-2006, 10:35 PM
I've not met many who've seen The Keep,strange flick for sure but I've watched it numerous times.

I havent seen it in years. Since the 80's.....i remember that weird score by Tangerine Dream used to creep me out.

Nzoner
07-27-2006, 10:54 PM
hahaha

I don't know what the hoopla is about the "original director". This shit sucked the original time around. No way in hell I will ever watch this crap.

I won't go as far as to say it sucked I think there were alot worse tv series.

As for "original director",Mann was the creator of the series he directed very few of them so I give him props for his original idea.The following is a small bit of a review on the upcoming movie and another reason I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Some of the best TV series-to-movie makeovers occur when the filmmakers take just the core idea and the characters of the TV show and create a world unto itself. Think "The Fugitive."

Some of the worst such efforts -- and there have been so many in recent years that they haunt me in my dreams -- occur when they take utter junk and turn it into campy, obnoxious crap. Think "Charlie's Angels." "Charlie's Angels 2." "The Dukes of Hazzard." And so on.

....it's a gritty, ultra-dark thriller, and it contains two of the best "kill shot" scenes in recent years. Mann's movies earn their R ratings.

........there's 2-1/2 stars' worth of movie here simply because Mann is the premier visual architect of night action sequences and because he adds a touch of art to even the simplest shots, day or night. A small plane buzzing above the clouds, overhead shots of a drug lord's compound, a dance sequence in a nightclub -- all are executed with exquisite grace.

The other half-star goes to that "Dirty Harry" tribute scene, and to say any more would be to rob you of the moment when you'll find it hard to resist the urge to actually clap in a movie theater.

Nzoner
07-28-2006, 05:47 PM
For anyone interested my take on the above review.

Some of the best TV series-to-movie makeovers occur when the filmmakers take just the core idea and the characters of the TV show and create a world unto itself. Think "The Fugitive."

Dead on,this is not the Miami Vice you grew up with,sure,like alot of movies it has a few over-the-top moments but all in all it stands on its own as a good crime drama with none of the attempts at humor that the tv series tried.

....it's a gritty, ultra-dark thriller, and it contains two of the best "kill shot" scenes in recent years. Mann's movies earn their R ratings.

Absolutely,not an extremely violent film but when the violence erupts it does so in a way that most won't be forgetting in awhile.

there's 2-1/2 stars' worth of movie here simply because Mann is the premier visual architect of night action sequences and because he adds a touch of art to even the simplest shots, day or night. A small plane buzzing above the clouds, overhead shots of a drug lord's compound, a dance sequence in a nightclub -- all are executed with exquisite grace.

Again I agree,whether you choose to go see this movie in a theatre or not it'll be worth the rental just to see Mann's shots.

The other half-star goes to that "Dirty Harry" tribute scene, and to say any more would be to rob you of the moment when you'll find it hard to resist the urge to actually clap in a movie theater.

I'm fairly sure I know which scene the writer is referring to here but I'll have to disagree with the clapping part,I was more like,"holy shit!"

All in all I'll give it a 2 1/2 out of 4 as well,not for everyone but definitely for those who enjoy the genre and a must see for Michael Mann fans especially fans of his movies Manhunter and Thief.

StcChief
07-28-2006, 07:02 PM
Wait for the video...August now, should be available just in time for the holiday gift giving.

Being burned to DVD now.

Chiefs_Mike_Topeka
07-28-2006, 07:38 PM
Saw it this afternoon, I enjoyed it very much. It is NOTHING like the TV series; with the exception on the names.

keg in kc
07-28-2006, 07:50 PM
I'm maybe seeing it tomorrow.

ChiefFripp
07-28-2006, 08:24 PM
Monster House looks WAY better to me...

wazu
07-28-2006, 09:52 PM
I saw it today, don't bother. Veeeerrrry slow, and Collin Farrell is a horrible Crockett. The good news is the movie takes itself seriously and isn't a spoof, but it was just boring.

Raiderhater
07-28-2006, 11:14 PM
I saw it today, don't bother. Veeeerrrry slow, and Collin Farrell is a horrible Crockett. The good news is the movie takes itself seriously and isn't a spoof, but it was just boring.

This has been my fear all along; I never thought that was a good choice. I still would like to see it though. I was going to go after I got off work tonight, but I got out too late.

Miles
07-28-2006, 11:37 PM
I may try and catch it sometime next week.

sd4chiefs
07-29-2006, 09:13 AM
Monster House looks WAY better to me...

I saw Monster House yesterday. It had a good story but everyone's head was too big. Do not take kids that scare easy.

Deberg_1990
07-29-2006, 09:25 AM
I saw Monster House yesterday. It had a good story but everyone's head was too big.

Ummm.....its animation. Its supposed to have a certain sense of exaggerated reality.

Deberg_1990
07-29-2006, 02:19 PM
Just got back from seeing it. Great flick. Its mostly just for the hardcore Mann fans though. I think most of the mainstream moviegoers probably wont go for it too much. Mann is one of the ultimate "Guy Movie" directors. They way he shoots and his dialouge demands that you pay attention at all times. and nobody shoots a fire fight quite like Mann. He stages another instant classic here. I loved how they just took the basic core ideas from the show and re-invented everything again. But yet, it still maintained that sense of dread and sadness the best episodes of the TV show had. Overall id give it a solid 3 out of 4 stars.

tk13
07-29-2006, 02:21 PM
They at least should've used that rockin' theme music.

Nzoner
07-29-2006, 02:25 PM
Just got back from seeing it. Great flick. Its mostly just for the hardcore Mann fans though. I think most of the mainstream moviegoers probably wont go for it too much. Mann is one of the ultimate "Guy Movie" directors. They way he shoots and his dialouge demands that you pay attention at all times. and nobody shoots a fire fight quite like Mann. He stages another instant classic here. I loved how they just took the basic core ideas from the show and re-invented everything again. But yet, it still maintained that sense of dread and sadness the best episodes of the TV show had. Overall id give it a solid 3 out of 4 stars.

Don't want to give anything away for those who haven't seen it but I have to ask did you take the scene in the trailer with the final Aryian dude to be the Dirty Harry tribute as the critic above called it.

Deberg_1990
07-29-2006, 02:27 PM
Don't want to give anything away for those who haven't seen it but I have to ask did you take the scene in the trailer with the final Aryian dude to be the Dirty Harry tribute as the critic above called it.

Yes. That would be my guess, and that was totally Baddass! Loved it.

Deberg_1990
07-29-2006, 02:33 PM
and another thing im not sure that the average moviegoer may not know is that Mann shot the whole movie on the new HD digital film cameras. It definately brings the film a whole new look than the standard film cameras. Not sure if i like it that much yet, but certain shots were very very unique and cool.

Morgan State 60
07-29-2006, 02:43 PM
I will wait for Talladega Nights.

Wa-Z
07-30-2006, 12:49 AM
I just watched this movie and I was really dissapointed, I thought it was hard to understand...literally...the dialogue was so bad...the only cool thing about the movie was the violence.

Logical
07-30-2006, 12:55 AM
It was slow and meandered quite frequently. I managed to stay interested but it was not really worth the price of admission. Wait for the rental is my advice.

Tribal Warfare
07-30-2006, 03:13 AM
Miami Vice was a very dissappointingly average movie

Deberg_1990
11-17-2006, 11:37 PM
Now this is interesting. It appears that the upcoming DVD release in a few weeks will be substantially different than the theatrical version. Ill have to check this out. Only thing i dont like is that Mann changed the opening nightclub scene (which i loved)

http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/archives/2006/11/directors_unrat.php