PDA

View Full Version : What does Roaf retiring do to our salary cap?

GoHuge
07-28-2006, 09:58 AM
Will his salary count towards our cap number or is that money freed up now? I don't know if there is anybody out there that can help us at this point......but is that money freed up for this year or not?

Rain Man
07-28-2006, 10:28 AM
This is no time to talk about money. My Super Bowl dreams just died.

Kylo Ren
07-28-2006, 10:50 AM
Will his salary count towards our cap number or is that money freed up now? I don't know if there is anybody out there that can help us at this point......but is that money freed up for this year or not?

Wow! You're right. Now we can resign Tony Richardson.

chasedude
07-28-2006, 11:05 AM
Wow! You're right. Now we can resign Tony Richardson.

T Rich went to the Vikings... That's out of the question.

Lzen
07-28-2006, 11:37 AM

CupidStunt
07-28-2006, 12:54 PM
If he's still playing on the 6-YR/$21M deal he signed back in March of 2002, then it gives us very little in terms of extra space.

The thing is, he probably isn't; I just can't remember if and when he signed and extension.

jspchief
07-28-2006, 02:05 PM
The base salary and any bonuses not yet paid get cleared from the cap, but the remaining portion of the pro-rated signing bonus accelerates to this year.

Up until last year, I think he was even money on the cap. But in '05 we gave him a 2.3 mil bonus, I'm guessing as part of a restructure.

I'd say we'll be hit for about 1.5 mil in accelerated bonus, but save around 1 mil in base, making his net cap hit around 500k.

Just guessing though. NFLPA removed their salary info, so it's hard to say for certain.

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-28-2006, 02:24 PM

Stuped n00b!

arrowheadnation
07-28-2006, 02:44 PM
Would the little room that it frees up be enough to keep Kennison happy?

Adept Havelock
07-28-2006, 03:47 PM

Feh. Forget Eddie, and use the coin to lock up the young talent. This year may well have just become an exercise in futility.

Mecca
07-28-2006, 03:49 PM

With our line looking like it does Kennison doesn't look like he's going to be very productive. He's old, if this has the affect alot of us are expecting giving Kennison money is basically pointless.

Mecca
07-28-2006, 03:50 PM
The base salary and any bonuses not yet paid get cleared from the cap, but the remaining portion of the pro-rated signing bonus accelerates to this year.

Up until last year, I think he was even money on the cap. But in '05 we gave him a 2.3 mil bonus, I'm guessing as part of a restructure.

I'd say we'll be hit for about 1.5 mil in accelerated bonus, but save around 1 mil in base, making his net cap hit around 500k.

Just guessing though. NFLPA removed their salary info, so it's hard to say for certain.

He's going to have to pay back some of that bonus...

jspchief
07-28-2006, 08:25 PM
He's going to have to pay back some of that bonus...Maybe.

From what I've seen, more often than not, a team doesn't pursue a SB if the guy's retirement is on the straight and narrow. Afterall, the point of a signing bonus is guaranteed money.

It's not like they couldn't have seen this as a possibility when they made the contract. And it's not like Roaf's retirement isn't justified.

I'd be pretty suprised (and dissappointed) if they went after that money.

Rain Man
07-28-2006, 08:32 PM

Marcus Spears is pointing at you and laughing.