PDA

View Full Version : Why not move Waters to left tackle?

Hammock Parties
07-28-2006, 08:32 PM
Black has shown he can play guard at a solid level in the past.

Waters is talented enough to move outside IMO. I bet he'd be better than anyone else we play at left tackle this year.

Moooo
07-28-2006, 08:33 PM
Black has shown he can play guard at a solid level in the past.

Waters is talented enough to move outside IMO. I bet he'd be better than anyone else we play at left tackle this year.

Give it time... No decisions yet, they'll figure it out.

You can't blame the rest of this on Peterson either. Our coaching staff will find the way to take the players we have and get the line looking as smooth as possible.

Speculation on the first day of camp is silly.

Moooo

Rain Man
07-28-2006, 08:34 PM
It doesn't seem unreasonable, though it would be yet another disruption on our line this year, and I'm not going to give up the year just because we lost a Hall of Famer.

And not to nitpick, but when did Black show he was solid at guard? I don't remember him playing there in a real game.

jspchief
07-28-2006, 08:34 PM
There's a reason Waters is a guard in the first place.

Leave the middle of the line alone.

tk13
07-28-2006, 08:35 PM
It doesn't seem unreasonable, though it would be yet another disruption on our line this year, and I'm not going to give up the year just because we lost a Hall of Famer.

And not to nitpick, but when did Black show he was solid at guard? I don't remember him playing there in a real game.
Baltimore game a couple years ago when he dominated Ray Lewis on national TV.

To be honest the same thought has crossed my mind, but then we'd have three guys playing new spots... that's kinda sketchy. Maybe we should consider that as a last resort type thing but otherwise let's just see how Turley and the young guys do.

Hammock Parties
07-28-2006, 08:35 PM

He was in on the tag-team pwning of Ray Lewis.

jspchief
07-28-2006, 08:36 PM
And not to nitpick, but when did Black show he was solid at guard? I don't remember him playing there in a real game.He had one big block against Ray lewis a few years back.

He's the Dewayne Washington of the Dline.

Moooo
07-28-2006, 08:38 PM
You guys are freaking out over something out of your control...

Its in the coaching staff's hands now. It won't be like last year, they have 6 WEEKS to figure everything out. From everything I've heard the biggest component to an offensive line is synchronization. Given that, whoever replaces Roaf will most likely do better than Black when he was shoved onto the first team having limited work with them.

Moooo

Coach
07-28-2006, 08:38 PM

I remember him playing the G position in 2003 occasionally. One of the play I know had him and T-Rich punking Ray Lewis into the ground more than once.

Hammock Parties
07-28-2006, 08:39 PM
To be honest the same thought has crossed my mind, but then we'd have three guys playing new spots... that's kinda sketchy.

Yeah, I considered that. Maybe it's a better idea to be weak at left tackle and strong at left guard than weakening both positions.

Rain Man
07-28-2006, 08:41 PM
Oh, wait a minute. I think I remember now. Wasn't he playing some guard in that Baltimore game where he double-teamed Ray Lewis?

Rain Man
07-28-2006, 08:43 PM
Now hold on. He was playing guard that game? Who was he replacing? Was Shields gimpy at that time? Because I sure don't think he was playing in Waters' spot.

tk13
07-28-2006, 08:44 PM
I think he was replacing Waters. I don't think Waters has missed any starts but I know he's come out of games banged up a couple times. I think that game was one... the 2003 loss in Cincy was another I think, Donald Willis was our top backup guard then.

Iowanian
07-28-2006, 08:52 PM
Because he's an effing Guard......a very good effing guard.

He's not built to be a tackle and is a guard for good reason.