PDA

View Full Version : Herm's handling of Roaf.

Chiefnj
07-30-2006, 08:19 AM
Roaf said he sent a letter to the team a few weeks ago stating his intent to retire. Herm and Peterson have gone on record saying they haven't spoken with Roaf. Why?

If they are trying to get him back and leaving a door open why wouldn't they have been in contact with him every so often. A phone call once a week at night after the kids are in bed to see how he's feeling, letting him know the team still needs him, etc.

Does anyone find it odd that neither the head coach nor GM have spoken with him in some time when he's making such a critical decision? Does anyone think Vermeil would have handled it a little more personally?

4th and Long
07-30-2006, 08:25 AM
Does anyone find it odd that neither the head coach nor GM have spoken with him in some time when he's making such a critical decision? Does anyone think Vermeil would have handled it a little more personally?
It's obvious you didn't hear the interview he gave on local radio. Roaf is pissed off at Vermeil, namely, the way he practiced the team too hard. He went as far as to imply that Vermeil's practices shaved off a few good years he had left on the field.

Bowser
07-30-2006, 08:25 AM
Roaf said he sent a letter to the team a few weeks ago stating his intent to retire. Herm and Peterson have gone on record saying they haven't spoken with Roaf. Why?

If they are trying to get him back and leaving a door open why wouldn't they have been in contact with him every so often. A phone call once a week at night after the kids are in bed to see how he's feeling, letting him know the team still needs him, etc.

Maybe, maybe not. Vermeil never knew what was happening with Priest, either.

I still think Roaf might just have a change of heart right around the third or fourth week of the preseason.

4th and Long
07-30-2006, 08:27 AM
I still think Roaf might just have a change of heart right around the third or fourth week of the preseason.
Bet me a 6 pack on that one? :D

Bowser
07-30-2006, 08:29 AM
Bet me a 6 pack on that one? :D

Sure, bitchbag. If Roaf doesn't come back, I'll get you a sixer of Old Milwaukee's finest. :)

Chiefnj
07-30-2006, 08:29 AM
It's obvious you didn't hear the interview he gave on local radio. Roaf is pissed off at Vermeil, namely, the way he practiced the team too hard. He went as far as to imply that Vermeil's practices shaved off a few good years he had left on the field.

I didn't hear the interview, I read the transcripts of what people reported. All last year the radio heads and media were saying Vermeil's practices were soft - not enough contact. Roaf comes out and says they were too hard. Didn't Roaf also make mention that there are other guys who aren't here because of the practices? Who are those other guys? Roaf's criticism also doesn't mesh with his statement from May when he said he felt good and the whole team felt good after the Cincy game, etc.

Leave Vermeil out of the equation. Why haven't Herm or CP spoken with Roaf?

4th and Long
07-30-2006, 08:31 AM
Sure, bitchbag. If Roaf doesn't come back, I'll get you a sixer of Old Milwaukee's finest. :)
Deal. Just in case I lose, I'm running out today and grabbing a 6er of PBR for ya, bitch. :)

crispystl
07-30-2006, 08:32 AM
I didn't hear the interview, I read the transcripts of what people reported. All last year the radio heads and media were saying Vermeil's practices were soft - not enough contact. Roaf comes out and says they were too hard. Didn't Roaf also make mention that there are other guys who aren't here because of the practices? Who are those other guys? Roaf's criticism also doesn't mesh with his statement from May when he said he felt good and the whole team felt good after the Cincy game, etc.

I always thought vermiel practiced soft and let big Willie rest whenever he neeed to. Am I wrong??????????

Chieftain58
07-30-2006, 08:34 AM
I hope he comes back but doubt it very much

Bowser
07-30-2006, 08:35 AM
I always thought vermiel practiced soft and let big Willie rest whenever he neeed to. Am I wrong??????????

I think Vermeil's idea of "soft" was to minimize the full contact stuff during the week, but not to let up on the duration or the oen on one stuff. The team still practiced long sessions, just didn't beat the snot out of each other.

penguinz
07-30-2006, 09:21 AM
Roaf said he sent a letter to the team a few weeks ago stating his intent to retire. Herm and Peterson have gone on record saying they haven't spoken with Roaf. Why?If they he sent a letter then technically they have not talked to him. :) You could also make the argument of why didn;t roaf tell them in person instead of writing a letter.

Yeah, that will get him back on the field. Call him everynight after the kids are in bed and wake them up.
Does anyone find it odd that neither the head coach nor GM have spoken with him in some time when he's making such a critical decision? Does anyone think Vermeil would have handled it a little more personally?Vermeil was clueless to what his players were doing when they were not at arrowhead. In fact, if you look at his love for McCleon and others he was cluesless to what his players were doing even when they were on the playing field.

mlyonsd
07-30-2006, 10:03 AM
In fact, if you look at his love for McCleon and others he was cluesless to what his players were doing even when they were on the playing field.

ROFL

teedubya
07-30-2006, 10:34 AM
Weak ass beer bets. Geez. Cheap bastards.

Mr. Laz
07-30-2006, 10:44 AM

i wouldn't put this on Herman Edwards... this is standard operating procedure for Carl Peterson.

same guy that was standing in front of a camera saying McGlockton injury was day to day while at the very same time on another channel espn was reporting that chester was in surgery for his back.

carl is a liar ... always has been

he doesn't have enough respect for the fans/media to worry about the truth.

TRR
07-30-2006, 10:45 AM

I was up at training camp last summer, and Vermeil's practices were very weak. Roaf, Gonzalez, Hall, Green, Hicks, Mitchell, Bell, etc....Were all held out of at least 2 days of practice or more. Most of them only practiced once a day. Holmes rarely even came onto the field. I knew KC would have a slow start to the season because players were missing time left and right.

jspchief
07-30-2006, 10:54 AM
My guess is they don't want to pester him. If he thinks he's tired of the business of football, bosses calling him might only reinforce that feeling.

Let him sit there and think about how much he misses the good parts, without reminding him of the tiresome parts.

Besides, I question whether anyone other than Roaf has any impact on the decision. I seriously doubt a coach kissing his ass is going to have an impact.

htismaqe
07-30-2006, 02:44 PM
My guess is they don't want to pester him. If he thinks he's tired of the business of football, bosses calling him might only reinforce that feeling.

Let him sit there and think about how much he misses the good parts, without reminding him of the tiresome parts.

Besides, I question whether anyone other than Roaf has any impact on the decision. I seriously doubt a coach kissing his ass is going to have an impact.

Bingo.