PDA

View Full Version : Waters or Shields@ LT...Why not?

Marcellus
07-30-2006, 08:53 AM
A few years ago if I recall, Shields played 3 or so games at LT. Maybe an option....

Or since Waters is supposed to be this athletic freak so why not try him at LT?

The obvious risk is you put 2 players in new starting positions rather than just the 1 at LT and it could further disrupt the line but if LT is such an important position,why not put one of your best guys there?

:hmmm: Not likely to happen but it was just a thought when I remembered Shields has started at LT in the past. (unless I am crazy and just made this up in my head)

Adept Havelock
07-30-2006, 09:09 AM
A few years ago if I recall, Shields played 3 or so games at LT. Maybe an option....

Or since Waters is supposed to be this athletic freak so why not try him at LT?

The obvious risk is you put 2 players in new starting positions rather than just the 1 at LT and it could further disrupt the line but if LT is such an important position,why not put one of your best guys there?

:hmmm: Not likely to happen but it was just a thought when I remembered Shields has started at LT in the past. (unless I am crazy and just made this up in my head)

Yes, he filled in there occasionally. I don't like the notion unless there is no other choice because I don't want to further disrupt the O-Line.

JBucc
07-30-2006, 10:03 AM
I tossed around the idea of putting Waters at LT if Turley sucks or gets hurt. Then Black could play guard where I think he'd be more comfortable and Turley could go to RT. I think Waters can pretty much play any O-line position he wants to and I'd rather have him there than Shields since Shields would just be a one year fix and Waters can be our LT for a long time if it works out. And if not he can be our G for a long time.

Adept Havelock
07-30-2006, 10:18 AM
I tossed the idea of putting Waters at LT if Turley sucks or gets hurt. Then Black could play guard where I think he'd be more comfortable and Turley could go to RT. I think Waters can pretty much play any O-line position he wants to and I'd rather have him there than Shields since Shields would just be a one year fix and Waters can be our LT for a long time if it works out. And if not he can be our G for a long time.

:hmmm:

Put that way, you just might have something. Anything beats another round of Highway 65 at LT.

jspchief
07-30-2006, 10:22 AM
There's a reason these guys are guards instead of tackles in the first place.

mlyonsd
07-30-2006, 10:25 AM
I think the prudent thing to do no matter who replaces Roaf at LT is to have our last string QB start every game and play 2, maybe 3 series in attempt to prove the replacement isn't going to get Green killed.

Frankie
07-30-2006, 10:37 AM

Two key phrases in your post should provide your answer:

1- "A few years ago."
2- "3 or so games at LT."

While Shields did very well at LT, he was younger and also didn't go an entire season in that demanding position.

Sure-Oz
07-30-2006, 10:52 AM
There's a reason these guys are guards instead of tackles in the first place.
exactly and it would just weaken our other positions, we jus need to go with the best guy and hope he can hold his own, that actually plays the OT pos.

jspchief
07-30-2006, 10:55 AM
Tackle is one of the most valued positions on the field. If the Chiefs thought Shields was capable of playing there, he would have been moved there long before we ever sniffed Willie Roaf.

TRR
07-30-2006, 11:12 AM
I got into a discussion an offseason or two ago about moving Shields to RT. Why would you move two of the best Guards in the game to tackle? It makes absolutely no sense. You fill the Right and Left Tackle position, and leave our trio in the middle alone.

Not even worth a discussion.

el borracho
07-30-2006, 11:26 AM
So Casey Wiegman would be the only guy on the line playing the same position as last year? Sounds like the recipe for a ton of penalties and mistakes.

CoMoChief
07-30-2006, 12:58 PM
Here's what I would like to see if possible:

LT - Turley
LG - Waters
C - Weigman
RG - Shields
RT - Sampson

IIRC Sampson was our starter at RT 2 seasons ago and did a damn fine job of it.

Rausch
07-30-2006, 01:09 PM
Here's what I would like to see if possible:

LT - Turley
LG - Waters
C - Weigman
RG - Shields
RT - Sampson

IIRC Sampson was our starter at RT 2 seasons ago and did a damn fine job of it.

Ditto.

Yeah, Turley is way undersized right now but he has at least been a solid T at one point. You know he CAN be a stud. Black just makes me fear for Green's life.

Feed Turley a high carb and jelly doughnut diet...

htismaqe
07-30-2006, 02:42 PM
I got into a discussion an offseason or two ago about moving Shields to RT. Why would you move two of the best Guards in the game to tackle? It makes absolutely no sense. You fill the Right and Left Tackle position, and leave our trio in the middle alone.

Not even worth a discussion.

Yep.