CosmicPal
07-30-2006, 11:06 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_4112496

Article Launched: 7/30/2006 01:00 AM

CB aims to lay down the Law with Chiefs

By Thomas George
Denver Post Staff Columnist
DenverPost.com

In recent NFL offseasons, we have seen more teams respond directly to player acquisitions made by their divisional foes.

It goes this way: You got that player - here is our answer.

George Young, the deceased and longtime Giants general manager, used to have intriguing discussions with me about this. He was amazed how teams in the NFC East countered the menacing linebacker Lawrence Taylor. They began to draft or find left tackles, and even right ones, who could battle the roving, robust Taylor.

Seldom could Taylor be blocked.

But in that division, especially, meeting Taylor twice a year every year, somebody had to do it.

And it had to be someone particularly equipped to match up.

This brings us to the Chiefs, who look around the AFC West and see fancy receivers. Randy Moss in Oakland. The still shifty Keenan McCardell in San Diego. Our own noble Rod Smith and the prize newcomer, Javon Walker.

The Chiefs know that somebody has to cover these guys. Twice a year, every year.

Enter Ty Law.

After a lengthy negotiation, Law signed with the Chiefs last week. This five-time Pro Bowl cornerback instantly becomes a centerpiece of the Chiefs defense. He is their specific answer to Walker and the general answer to the AFC West's prime receiving crew.

He is a 12th-year player who uses crafty knowledge as much as his talent. He gives the Chiefs stability on the back end. He is the finishing touch on a defense that has been revamped this offseason from the new defensive-minded head coach (Herman Edwards), to an altered defensive staff, to scheme and philosophy, to the team's draft emphasis.

This guy basically played on one foot last season because of injuries, yet led the league in interceptions with 10.

He is old. He has lost too many steps. His best years are behind him, you say.

Law says: "Well, the proof will be in the pudding. My career stats don't lie. I didn't luck out on 10 interceptions last year and the Pro Bowl. I didn't make a name for myself overnight. When my critics take that stand, it adds fuel to my fire. I was old last year, as far as they were concerned. I was washed up last year.

"I proved them wrong then, but that was the hardest season I've been through in my life. We lost a lot of games last year, a tough year for the Jets, and the losing made my foot hurt even more. You're going to see a healthier player now. A more confident one. I didn't lose confidence in my ability, just in one of my wheels. You are going to see a more aggressive player this year."

Law injured his left foot in a 2004 Halloween game while with the Patriots. For the rest of that season and last season, he hurt. He limped. Yet he performed.

Law does not believe football is a track meet.

He studies quarterbacks as much as receivers; he studies offenses and defenses. He reads plays. He reacts to them. His instincts are supernatural.

He has what Champ Bailey has, that "it" at cornerback. New England came after him again in the offseason, and so did Seattle. So did several other teams. But after flirting with the Chiefs last season before signing with the Jets, this time, everything stuck.

"After the misery of last season for me and for Herm, we both get a chance to reunite and redeem ourselves with the Chiefs," Law said. "The fans are crazy here, and I will love that. I can roll with this."

He can run with Walker and Moss and the rest, though he is not a blazer. He is a stout hitter in run support. This is a move he is "feeling," he said.

"When I look at the AFC East where I come from, I think the talent in the AFC West has overtaken it," Law said. "You can't just talk about the receivers out here. You've got guys like LaDainian Tomlinson at running back and Antonio Gates at tight end, who I might end up covering on some plays. We're not talking about just receivers, but total offensive football teams that have depth. The Broncos are extremely talented offensively, loaded with a great coach behind them. They pound you with the run and then hit you long with the pass. They, alone, will give me a heck of a challenge twice a year."

He has 46 career interceptions. He returned seven of those for touchdowns.

He is a player the Broncos must reckon with.

At least twice a year. Every year.

"I'm broadening my NFL experience," Law said. "I'm going to bring a winning attitude here. That didn't leave. I've always had hunger inside as an individual and with my team. I've been to the top in this game in both areas, as a player and as a champion. It's something you never get tired of. I'm looking for one of my best seasons. Fail here? No, I won't let that happen."

Thomas George can be reached at 303-820-1994 or tgeorge@denverpost.com.

jspchief
07-30-2006, 11:09 AM
What a ridiculous premise. We picked up Law in answer to Javon Walker entering our division?

Yea that. Or maybe the fact that we've consistently been one of the worst pass defenses in the league over the last five years.

Somebody thinks the earth revolves around Donkey football.

Thig Lyfe
07-30-2006, 11:16 AM
What a ridiculous premise. We picked up Law in answer to Javon Walker entering our division?

Yea that. Or maybe the fact that we've consistently been one of the worst pass defenses in the league over the last five years.

Somebody thinks the earth revolves around Donkey football.

That's what I was thinking, too. I don't think anybody really mentioned how much this would help us facing Javon Walker.

Sure-Oz
07-30-2006, 11:17 AM
Anyone in a donkey uniform is god.

CosmicPal
07-30-2006, 11:18 AM

Did your daddy not love you or something? Picking Law up to challenge Walker isn't the premise of the article.

Nzoner
07-30-2006, 11:20 AM
That's what I was thinking, too. I don't think anybody really mentioned how much this would help us facing Javon Walker.

Not just Javon Walker but prize newcomer Javon Walker.

Not discounting week one but week 2 can't get here fast enough.

milkman
07-30-2006, 11:20 AM
Did your daddy not love you or something? Picking Law up to challenge Walker isn't the premise of the article.

It's not?

Enlighten us then.

jspchief
07-30-2006, 11:24 AM
Did your daddy not love you or something? Picking Law up to challenge Walker isn't the premise of the article.Really?

This five-time Pro Bowl cornerback instantly becomes a centerpiece of the Chiefs defense. He is their specific answer to Walker and the general answer to the AFC West's prime receiving crew.

Nightwish
07-30-2006, 11:29 AM
Did your daddy not love you or something? Picking Law up to challenge Walker isn't the premise of the article.But it was. From the article: "He is their specific answer to Walker and the general answer to the AFC West's prime receiving crew." The general premise was set at the beginning of the article in the first sentence, articulating how teams will pick up new acquisitions specifically calculated to challenge another team's specific acquisitions, and then went on to spin a specific premise as if the Chiefs picked up Ty Law because Denver picked up Javon Walker. The fact is, the Chiefs have been trying to sign Ty Law for a couple of years, long before Javon Walker even became a sparkle in any AFC West eye.

CosmicPal
07-30-2006, 11:30 AM
He is their specific answer to Walker and the general answer to the AFC West's prime receiving crew.

Of course he's placing emphasis on Walker first- it's the Denver Post and its aimed to the Denver audience. There is no other answer in Denver, and the writer knows it. If he said Law was the specific answer to Randy Moss- then he'd be pissing off a lot of Denver fans even more.

He is right about one thing- teams add players to challenge the quality players in their own division, and that is merely what he's saying in the article- he's just being a homer as most local writers are.

alanm
07-30-2006, 11:31 AM
Really?
I don't think I've seen a town more homeristic about their teams than Denver. In everything. It's hard to describe why, they just are. :shake:

blueballs
07-30-2006, 11:35 AM
Law was brought in because of McCardell?
Law should be pissed

Rain Man
07-30-2006, 11:42 AM
The posts are funny, because I had exactly the same reaction to this article that others had, before reading their posts. If anything, the AFC West has the weakest group of wide receivers of any conference. The Raiders are the only group that has a pair worth worrying about, and most of them don't want to be there and will be playing without any interest this year. The Broncos? A decent pair with Smith and Walker, but they won't keep anybody up nights. The Chargers? Do they even have wide receivers?

If anything, teams in the AFC West should be gearing more toward the run. Tomlinson is a given, I think Tatum Bell has the potential to be dangerous, and Lamont Jordan...whatever.

GoodDaySir!
07-30-2006, 11:44 AM
Not discounting week one but week 2 can't get here fast enough.

You're really looking forward to going into Denver?

Nzoner
07-30-2006, 11:46 AM
You're really looking forward to going into Denver?

I always look forward to the team playing the Broncos or Raiders no matter which backyard it's played in.

CosmicPal
07-30-2006, 11:48 AM
The posts are funny, because I had exactly the same reaction to this article that others had, before reading their posts. If anything, the AFC West has the weakest group of wide receivers of any conference. The Raiders are the only group that has a pair worth worrying about, and most of them don't want to be there and will be playing without any interest this year. The Broncos? A decent pair with Smith and Walker, but they won't keep anybody up nights. The Chargers? Do they even have wide receivers?

If anything, teams in the AFC West should be gearing more toward the run. Tomlinson is a given, I think Tatum Bell has the potential to be dangerous, and Lamont Jordan...whatever.

You're absolutely right. And my apologies to jsp for me being so ignorant. I should be spanked, so I'm going to head on over to the strip-club now.

JBucc
07-30-2006, 11:52 AM

If anything, teams in the AFC West should be gearing more toward the run. Tomlinson is a given, I think Tatum Bell has the potential to be dangerous, and Lamont Jordan...whatever.I wonder which division has the best WR's?

The NFC East has T.O., Santana Moss, and Plaxico Burress but the Eagles suck horribly at WR.

The AFC South has Harrison and Wayne and Andre Johnson but Jimmy Smith just retired and I can't think of that white guy on the titan's name.

I think it may be the AFC north with Super Bowl mvp Hines Ward, Chad Johnson and Houshmanzedah?, and Mark Clayton and Derrick Mason.

Other divison's WRs escape me at the moment

Nzoner
07-30-2006, 11:54 AM
I wonder which division has the best WR's?

The NFC East has T.O., Santana Moss, and Plaxico Burress but the Eagles suck horribly at WR.

The AFC South has Harrison and Wayne and Andre Johnson but Jimmy Smith just retired and I can't think of that white guy on the titan's name.

I think it may be the AFC north with Super Bowl mvp Hines Ward, Chad Johnson and Houshmanzedah?, and Mark Clayton and Derrick Mason.

Drew Bennett=Titans

Rain Man
07-30-2006, 11:57 AM
You're absolutely right. And my apologies to jsp for me being so ignorant. I should be spanked, so I'm going to head on over to the strip-club now.

Put in a dollar for me.

Nzoner
07-30-2006, 11:57 AM
I wonder which division has the best WR's?

I'd say the NFCWest could make a helluva case

Holt
Bruce
Fitzgerald
Boldin
D Jackson

I'd also keep my eye on Burelson and Kevin Curtis

JBucc
07-30-2006, 11:59 AM
I'd say the NFCWest could make a helluva case

Holt
Bruce
Fitzgerald
Boldin
D Jackson

I'd also keep my eye on Burelson and Kevin CurtisI knew I was leaving out some good WR's. And a whole division.

ModSocks
07-30-2006, 11:59 AM
I don't think I've seen a town more homeristic about their teams than Denver. In everything. It's hard to describe why, they just are. :shake:

I have, San diego and the Chargers. Its amazing how many charger fans have come out of the dark lately and started predicting Superbowls

Rain Man
07-30-2006, 12:00 PM
Hmm.

NFC West -

Cardinals - Boldin, Fitzgerald
Seahawks - Jackson, Nate Burleson
Rams - Holt, Bruce
49ers - Antonio Bryant, Arnaz Battle

Two good teams, two weak teams.

SPchief
07-30-2006, 12:02 PM
I have, San diego and the Chargers. Its amazing how many charger fans have come out of the dark lately and started predicting Superbowls

10 people predicting the super bowl doesn't count as a legion of fans.

Rain Man
07-30-2006, 12:03 PM
NFC South

Falcons: Roddy White, Michael Jenkins
Saints: Horn, Donte Stallworth
Buccaneers: Michael Clayton, Joey Galloway (he's still playing?)
Panthers: Steve Smith, Keyshawn Johnson

This one's funny. The whole division includes first-round picks, but the two best players are the two that weren't.

Anyone know how the newer first-rounders are doing? And does Vick even throw to receivers in Atlanta?

Rain Man
07-30-2006, 12:05 PM
NFC North

Bears: Muhsin Muhammad, Mark Bradley (who?)
Lions (BWAHAHAHA): Roy Williams, Scott Vines (who?)
Packers: Robert Ferguson, Donald Driver
Vikings: Koren Robinson, Travis Taylor

Who the heck are these people?

Rain Man
07-30-2006, 12:07 PM
NFC East:

Cowboys: Terrell Owens, Terry Glenn
Giants: Burress, Toomer
Eagles: Todd Pinkston, Reggie Brown
Redskins: Santana Moss, Brandon Lloyd

Wow, you don't want to be a short CB in this division. Overall, this is pretty strong other than Philly.

Rain Man
07-30-2006, 12:09 PM
AFC West:

Denver: Smith, Walker
KC: Kennison, Parker
Oakland: Moss, Porter unless they can dig a tunnel and escape
San Diego: McCardell, Eric Parker

One strong but demoralized set, one decent set, two weak sets (sorry Eddie and Samie - show me more)

RealSNR
07-30-2006, 12:10 PM
NFC North

Lions (BWAHAHAHA): Roy Williams, Scott Vines (who?)
Packers: Robert Ferguson, Donald Driver
Vikings: Koren Robinson, Travis Taylor

Who the heck are these people?Don't forget Boe for the Pack :whackit:

Rain Man
07-30-2006, 12:12 PM
AFC South:

Texans: Eric Moulds, Andre Johnson
Colts: Harrison, Wayne
Jaguars: Matt Jones, Ernest Wilford
Titans: Drew Bennett, David Givens

Two very strong teams, and I think they just made up the names for the Jaguars and the Titans. I'm shocked that Wilford is starting; I saw him in a preseason game last year, and he looked like the slowest, least athletic receiver in the history of the league.

Nightwish
07-30-2006, 12:13 PM
Quality receivers without quality quarterbacks are all but meaningless. The Raiders and Rams over the past couple seasons are cases in point.

Nzoner
07-30-2006, 12:14 PM
NFC North

Who the heck are these people?

If the Bears passing game is anything at all remember the name Bernard Berrian,the kid is going to be good.One of my predictions for '06

JBucc
07-30-2006, 12:15 PM
Rain Man you should make a poll about it. Give us something to do.

Rain Man
07-30-2006, 12:15 PM
AFC North:

Ravens: Mark Clayton, Derrick Mason
Browns: Braylon Edwards, Jurivicius
Bengals: Chad Johnson, TJ Houshmandzadehwannamadezaduwanderiteh
Steelers: Hines Ward, Cedrick Wilson

Hmm. This is actually a much stronger division than I would have guessed.

Rain Man
07-30-2006, 12:18 PM
AFC East:

Bills: Lee Evans, Roscoe Parrish (I swear I'm not making that up.)
Jets: Laveranues Coles, Justin McCareins
Dolphins: Chris Chambers, Marty Booker
Patriots: Deion Branch, Reche ("Dropsy") Caldwell

Wow. Tumbleweeds blowing through this division.

mikey23545
07-30-2006, 12:56 PM
And does Vick even throw to receivers in Atlanta?

Only as a last resort.

skky man
07-30-2006, 01:48 PM
Well we all know the history of players coming off an acl injury! Look it will hinder walker without a doubt and palmer to and Dante down in miami. It'll be the 2007 season before any of them are what they used to be

Thig Lyfe
07-30-2006, 02:01 PM
AFC East:

Bills: Lee Evans, Roscoe Parrish (I swear I'm not making that up.)
Jets: Laveranues Coles, Justin McCareins
Dolphins: Chris Chambers, Marty Booker
Patriots: Deion Branch, Reche ("Dropsy") Caldwell

Wow. Tumbleweeds blowing through this division.

I'd say Chambers and Evans are pretty strong.

Frosty
07-30-2006, 02:56 PM
If the Bears passing game is anything at all remember the name Bernard Berrian,the kid is going to be good.One of my predictions for '06

I agree, though he has to stay healthy, which he has had a hard time doing.

Moooo
07-30-2006, 03:13 PM
"After the misery of last season for me and for Herm, we both get a chance to reunite and redeem ourselves with the Chiefs," Law said. "The fans are crazy here, and I will love that. I can roll with this."

I can roll with it too, sir.

Moooo