PDA

View Full Version : My Sunday morning camp observations...

Shootr
07-30-2006, 12:20 PM
I got into Minneapolis last night and attended practice this morning. Here are a few of my quick observations:

1. The tempo of practice is different this year. There seems to be more of a sense of urgency and intensity. The players hustle in and out of drills. There is just a different feel.

2. Tim Krumrie is nuts. He stomps around like a big ogre and is constantly screaming. He is exactly what that D-line needs.

3. Speaking of D-Line Ryan Sims seems to be really working hard. There is a different intensity with this guy. (I know, I know, tough to believe). He looks like a guy trying to save his job.

4. Kendrell Bell made a nice pick, but later fumbled. He also made a couple of ferocious hits.

5. Julian Battle absolutely de-cleated a wr in 7-on-7's and some how ended up with the ball. It was an unbelievable play and the highlight of practice from what I saw.

6. Jared Allen and Tamba lined up as starters. E.Hicks was running with the scrubs. Allen was a beast. Tamba looks quick, but not as strong as Allen.

7. As for the LT's...To me it looks like the plan is Turley. He lined up with the starters nearly every time. Svitek looked to be #2. Jordan Black lined up at RT when I saw him.

8. I didn't really watch Ty Law closely. I will try to do that tomorrow. Kind of funny story about Law, though...When he came out for stretches he had on baggy gray sweatpants, everyone else had on football pants. Law began doing the stretches and to me it looked like he realized, "Oh Sh@#, I'm the only guy with sweatpants on." He went running off the field and came back out with the football pants on.

That is all I got off the top of my head right now. I will be here Monday and Tuesday. I will try to post more observations later.

ferrarispider95
07-30-2006, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the update, I will be there on wed - sun.

the Talking Can
07-30-2006, 12:26 PM
much appreciated....

any thoughts on Turley's play, does he look big enough? rusty? etc...

any Crap-ho sitings?

58-4ever
07-30-2006, 12:27 PM
Thanks man. Good stuff.

Bwana
07-30-2006, 12:27 PM
6. Jared Allen and Tamba lined up as starters. E.Hicks was running with the scrubs. Allen was a beast. Tamba looks quick, but not as strong as Allen.

Sweet! Hicks has been a scrub for several years, it's about time he starts running with them. May he collect numerous splinters in his ass for the entire season for another team.

Shootr
07-30-2006, 12:29 PM
much appreciated....

any thoughts on Turley's play, does he look big enough? rusty? etc...

any Crap-ho sitings?
Turley looks plenty big enough to me and seemed to hold his own.

Crap-Ho was in he usual practice position...on the sidelines in shells and a visor.

Rain Man
07-30-2006, 12:30 PM
Thanks a bunch. I really like reading these in-person reviews.

I'm going on record to say that Julian Battle will make a strong run at the nickel job this year.

Shootr
07-30-2006, 12:31 PM
I'm going on record to say that Julian Battle will make a strong run at the nickel job this year.
I think you're right, he is moving fine. It looks like he is fully recovered.

the Talking Can
07-30-2006, 12:34 PM
i amazed at Battle's recovery...I though an achille's injury would be a death sentence for a CB...

curious about Crap-ho....I'm hoping he has potential...

I refuse to get excited about Sims...when he proves it for a season, then I'll be excited.

Is RT Black's natural position?

OnTheWarpath15
07-30-2006, 12:36 PM
i amazed at Battle's recovery...I though an achille's injury would be a death sentence for a CB...

curious about Crap-ho....I'm hoping he has potential...

I refuse to get excited about Sims...when he proves it for a season, then I'll be excited.

Is RT Black's natural position?

Guard is Black's natural position.

The Dude Abides
07-30-2006, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the report. How about Rich Scanlon, was he there saving babies? :)

the Talking Can
07-30-2006, 12:38 PM
Guard is Black's natural position.

ahh, right...thanks

Iowanian
07-30-2006, 12:42 PM
I like these types of reports better than the media ones.

how are the LBs looking? How are Grigsby and Scanlon looking compared to Reed? Fox? Is Griffin back?

Any of the no-name DTs standing out?

CoMoChief
07-30-2006, 12:44 PM
Who's running with the first team at the other DT position, Dalton?

Fish
07-30-2006, 12:52 PM
2, 3, and 4 have gotten me excited.... I like Krumrie, and I think he'll do wonders for our DL... I'm still holding a very very small sliver of hope for Bell... I'm not sure why....

And as far as 6.... I think the signing of Hali will improve Allen's play as well. I think our honky friend is gonna want some of that limelight back, and is going to do his best to prove he is still the main man among the pass rushers.....

Much thanks for the camp updates!

Shootr
07-30-2006, 12:59 PM
I like these types of reports better than the media ones.

how are the LBs looking? How are Grigsby and Scanlon looking compared to Reed? Fox? Is Griffin back?

Any of the no-name DTs standing out?

To be honest, I didn't really notice any of the white guy LB's except for Reid has a big ol' mop of blond hair and Boomer isn't wearing his jersey tucked into his pads this year in practice exposing his ripped abs(actually my wife pointed that out, I think that and Tony G are the only reason she comes to camp with me.)

I didn't notice any of the no name DT's either. It is tough to catch everything the way they spread out on the fields.

My mission tomorrow is to watch more Turley, more Law, and and the DT's.

chief2000
07-30-2006, 12:59 PM
Hicks is just a roleplayer. Good against the run.

Rain Man
07-30-2006, 01:02 PM
If you get bored at some point, I'd like to hear about the fullback position, and whether it looks like they'll be using a lot of two TE sets instead of a FB.

JimNasium
07-30-2006, 01:03 PM
2, 3, and 4 have gotten me excited.... I like Krumrie, and I think he'll do wonders for our DL... I'm still holding a very very small sliver of hope for Bell... I'm not sure why....

And as far as 6.... I think the signing of Hali will improve Allen's play as well. I think our honky friend is gonna want some of that limelight back, and is going to do his best to prove he is still the main man among the pass rushers.....

Much thanks for the camp updates!
Is Allen in a contract year? If so that's even more motivation to perform at a high level.

Hammock Parties
07-30-2006, 01:04 PM
Ronnie Cruz is going to impress some people. Just you wait and see.

JimNasium
07-30-2006, 01:05 PM
Yeah, I think he'll be fine for the limited role he's being asked to play.

Shootr
07-30-2006, 01:06 PM
If you get bored at some point, I'd like to hear about the fullback position, and whether it looks like they'll be using a lot of two TE sets instead of a FB.
I actually did watch Cruz a little. He looks a lot more confident this camp. He caught the ball well out of the backfield. He picked up a couple of nice blocks in 11 on 11's in pass protection. I don't remember anything about his run blocking that stood out, but that is difficult to see from the bleachers at field level.

I'm off to the Mall, now. Time to justify the trip to the wife!!!

R&GHomer
07-30-2006, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the updates. I'm going on record.... Sims "baring injury" is going to have a monster year. Only because it's a contract year though, I still feel he lacks heart, but time will tell.

C-Mac
07-30-2006, 03:46 PM
I dont have to wait, what I seen of him last year impressed me. He has very good potential to be a great FB, like an Alstott.

Mecca
07-30-2006, 03:51 PM
I know people wanna get excited about Krumrie but Buffalo never had some outstanding Dline while he was there.......The only thing him being here means is Ron Edwards makes our roster because he loved him in Buffalo according to a friend of mine who's a Bills fan, he went as far as to tell me the Chiefs would sign Edwards before FA started.......he called that.

Moooo
07-30-2006, 04:03 PM
I dont have to wait, what I seen of him last year impressed me. He has very good potential to be a great FB, like an Alstott.

I like your avatar...

Moooo

KChiefs1
07-30-2006, 04:12 PM
I guess those incriminating photos of Vermeil aren't helping much this year for Hicks.

Sully
07-30-2006, 05:57 PM
The DTs are Sims and Dalton. The only DT that has really sttood out to me is Dixon. He seems to be a step quicker than the other interior guys.

Turley seems to be shaking the rust off just fine. He has had a few misses here and there, but I don't think he has had any more than is to be expected after a couple of years off. Black has looked horible when I've focused on him.

Sully
07-30-2006, 06:21 PM
Another couple of things...
In building toward camp's first fight, a scuffle happened today between Carlos Hall and Svitek, as well as words being exchanged and general bad feelings between Larry Johnson and Greg Wesley after Wesley popped LJ on a sweep left. I'm not sure if LJ thought there was no contact, but he was pissed, and he and esley seemed to be jawing for a couple minutes after the play.

Hammock Parties
07-30-2006, 06:27 PM
Defense standing up for itself...

sedated
07-30-2006, 06:30 PM
great reports.

keep this sh!t coming

need more info...

Demonpenz
07-30-2006, 06:35 PM
alstot sucks at blocking but good carrying the ball. We don't need an allstot we just need someone who can hit and turn and seel linebackers

Eleazar
07-30-2006, 07:30 PM
So where should I send the $89.95?

Logical
07-30-2006, 07:42 PM
Is Allen in a contract year? If so that's even more motivation to perform at a high level.I would not think so, typically minimum contract length is 4 years for a draft pick.

Nice report shootr, thanks for taking the time.

C-Mac
07-30-2006, 07:51 PM
So where should I send the $89.95?

ROFL

sedated
07-30-2006, 07:54 PM
Is Allen in a contract year? If so that's even more motivation to perform at a high level.

maybe not in contract year, but he deserves a payday.

they proboably negotiated this offseason, won't be too long before an extension is done

jlscorpio
07-30-2006, 08:18 PM
cool post, thanx. I'll be there the 3rd thru the 6th...I CANT WAIT! I'll be watching Pollard, Tamba, and all CB's. I'll give a report when I come back.

MGRS13
07-30-2006, 08:19 PM
how about Sampson. Is he practicing? I've heard all these great things about Svitek and Sampson but if black is still ahead of them on the depth chart thats all I need to know.
I know Svitek is a left taclke but it wouldnt be the first time some one was converted due to needs.

CHENZ A!
07-30-2006, 08:55 PM
I'm definetly interested to see who steps up in the secondary. How has the CB we got from the Arena League looked?

the Talking Can
07-30-2006, 09:03 PM
Another couple of things...
In building toward camp's first fight, a scuffle happened today between Carlos Hall and Svitek, as well as words being exchanged and general bad feelings between Larry Johnson and Greg Wesley after Wesley popped LJ on a sweep left. I'm not sure if LJ thought there was no contact, but he was pissed, and he and esley seemed to be jawing for a couple minutes after the play.

on the radio Grunhard said that Svitek would be in at least 3 fights the first week of camp...said he is mean as hell....love it

MGRS13
07-30-2006, 09:17 PM
on the radio Grunhard said that Svitek would be in at least 3 fights the first week of camp...said he is mean as hell....love it
If he's so great why not have him play one tackle spot and have Turley play the other?

the Talking Can
07-30-2006, 09:23 PM
If he's so great why not have him play one tackle spot and have Turley play the other?

uh....no one said he was great...I just said he was mean....

MGRS13
07-30-2006, 09:27 PM
uh....no one said he was great...I just said he was mean....
Well ok not you but enough people have said hes good hell Grunny has been on his jock for a year. I just think with as bad as Black looked last year I'd feel alot better if he wasnt there.

blueballs
07-30-2006, 09:32 PM
LJ and Wesley must have fund out they
were nailing the same set of twins