PDA

View Full Version : Shealy Update

Marco Polo
07-31-2006, 08:16 AM
Nothing much but hey, it's news.

The Denver Post is reporting that Ryan Shealy is expected to be traded prior to Monday's 4 p.m. non-waiver trading deadline. The Pirates and the Royals are the two favorites to land the services of Shealy with Baltimore and the Yankees also interested. The Royals are expected to be offering left-handed reliever Jeremy Affeldt and a minor-league prospect, while the Pirates would deal left-handed reliever John Grabow and center fielder Nate McLouth.

sedated
07-31-2006, 08:31 AM
let's throw in Berroa to seal the deal

Mr. Laz
07-31-2006, 09:35 AM
that abortion of game Redman threw last night sure didn't help our trade potiential.

Archie Bunker
07-31-2006, 09:38 AM
The Pirates just traded Casey to the Tigers. Might meen Shealy is on his way to Pitt.

Demonpenz
07-31-2006, 09:39 AM
all the usual suspects have sucked year in and year out brewers, pirates, royals, rockies, are any of them ever going to contend for a WS ever again?

ChiTown
07-31-2006, 09:39 AM
The Pirates just traded Casey to the Tigers. Might meen Shealy is on his way to Pitt.

Exactly.

That's not a good sign at all.

Mr. Laz
07-31-2006, 09:44 AM
Exactly.

That's not a good sign at all.i have it on good authority that the royals are working on a blockbuster deal.

Mr. Laz
07-31-2006, 09:45 AM
all the usual suspects have sucked year in and year out brewers, pirates, royals, rockies, are any of them ever going to contend for a WS ever again?
not until there's a salary cap

WilliamTheIrish
07-31-2006, 09:50 AM
not until there's a salary cap

I used to believe that. Not anymore. If the Twins can develop talent and go deep in the playoffs, so can KC. If the Tigers- the f'ing Tigers mind you- can turn their franchise around, so can KC.

Moore is here. No more excuses.

I'll bet he gets Shealy too.

beavis
07-31-2006, 09:50 AM
i have it on good authority that the royals are working on a blockbuster deal.
Are you the clown on royalboard claiming that A-Rod is coming to KC? ROFL

Mr. Laz
07-31-2006, 09:54 AM
I used to believe that. Not anymore. If the Twins can develop talent and go deep in the playoffs, so can KC. If the Tigers- the f'ing Tigers mind you- can turn their franchise around, so can KC.

Moore is here. No more excuses.

I'll bet he gets Shealy too.
i understand that ... but lets face it, it's much harder for the twins,tigers to compete and it won't last long.

2/3 good years and back to rebuilding for them.

is it feasible that a team like the tigers could strike quickly 1 year and surprise everyone to win the world series .... yep.

but a Cinderella story doesn't last.

a salary cap is the only to bring back real competitive balance so that all teams can compete.

Mr. Laz
07-31-2006, 09:55 AM
Are you the clown on royalboard claiming that A-Rod is coming to KC? ROFL
no ... that's my friend Nick.

$89.95 please

WilliamTheIrish
07-31-2006, 09:55 AM
Laz, name the winners of the last 5 World Series.

Mr. Laz
07-31-2006, 09:59 AM
Laz, name the winners of the last 5 World Series.
hmm ... lemme see

chisox last year
boston year before
the florida "win and dismantle" marlins
Yankmees?
Angels?

Mr. Laz
07-31-2006, 10:01 AM
wait a minute ... didn't the diamondbacks win one in there some place too?

maybe drop the yankmees and put the Arizona in there.

ChiTown
07-31-2006, 10:07 AM
wait a minute ... didn't the diamondbacks win one in there some place too?

maybe drop the yankmees and put the Arizona in there.

In order:
2005 - ChiSox
2004 - RedSox
2003 - FLA
2002 - Anaheim
2001 - ARZ

Yanks won 3 in a row btw 98 and 2000.

Mr. Laz
07-31-2006, 10:09 AM
In order:
2005 - ChiSox
2004 - RedSox
2003 - FLA
2002 - Anaheim
2001 - ARZ

thanks...

diamondbacks win was a stunner

Eleazar
07-31-2006, 10:17 AM
Man, the a-rod rumor over there on Royalboard is funny, but how nice would it be to have a marquee player for once. And have our issues with Berroa be instantly solved.

If only we could pull something like that off for spare parts.

Hell, ship the Yankees our whole warehouse of spare parts for him. Here we've got a Redman, an Affledt, maybe you can make something out of that. A Berroa, and oh, here's a Chip Ambres, barely been used, that one. Plus, you get a slightly used Esteban Yan, just got that one in last week!

petegz28
07-31-2006, 10:40 AM
Man, the a-rod rumor over there on Royalboard is funny, but how nice would it be to have a marquee player for once. And have our issues with Berroa be instantly solved.

If only we could pull something like that off for spare parts.

Hell, ship the Yankees our whole warehouse of spare parts for him. Here we've got a Redman, an Affledt, maybe you can make something out of that. A Berroa, and oh, here's a Chip Ambres, barely been used, that one. Plus, you get a slightly used Esteban Yan, just got that one in last week!

Dude that rumor is like getting a woody and a cold shower at the same time.

Sure-Oz
07-31-2006, 11:28 AM
So is the deadline over 3pm cst or 4pm cst?

bkkcoh
07-31-2006, 11:36 AM

3 pm CST

chiefqueen
07-31-2006, 11:36 AM

3PM CDT; 4PM EDT

Sure-Oz
07-31-2006, 11:38 AM
Thanks guys...I really hope we land Shealy. its been real quiet.

WilliamTheIrish
07-31-2006, 11:40 AM
In order:
2005 - ChiSox
2004 - RedSox
2003 - FLA
2002 - Anaheim
2001 - ARZ

Thanks. Now, outside of the Red Sox, the small market clubs have owned baseball.

We have endured a strange set of circumstances over the last decade, with an owner that died and left the team in a trust, to Herk trying to be a baseball guy with his hands tied, to Glass to Baird, to Dayton Moore.

This organization can do it. It's time to quit mourning the situation and deal with it.

Eleazar
07-31-2006, 11:41 AM
It seems unlikely to me that we could get him if so many other teams are in the running. Moore knows better than to get into a bidding war for someone who is, after all, still just a prospect.

It's not like we are offering them anything great. Affeldt and Berroa are people who have never amounted to jack. I mean, it's not like the Royals are giving up on someone that has the Rockies drooling.

Eleazar
07-31-2006, 11:43 AM
Thanks. Now, outside of the Red Sox, the small market clubs have owned baseball.

We have endured a strange set of circumstances over the last decade, with an owner that died and left the team in a trust, to Herk trying to be a baseball guy with his hands tied, to Glass to Baird, to Dayton Moore.

This organization can do it. It's time to quit mourning the situation and deal with it.

All those teams had payroll except for the Marlins.

And Florida didn't even win their division, IIRC they weren't much over .500. They were however the recipients of the Cubs' and Yankees' playoff chokejobs.

ChiTown
07-31-2006, 11:53 AM
All those teams had payroll except for the Marlins.

And Florida didn't even win their division, IIRC they weren't much over .500. They were however the recipients of the Cubs' and Yankees' playoff chokejobs.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/54/Stevebartman.jpg

Eleazar
07-31-2006, 11:56 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/54/Stevebartman.jpg

Yeah, see, you can see it right there - the Marlins' superior management in action.

ChiTown
07-31-2006, 11:58 AM
Yeah, see, you can see it right there - the Marlins' superior management in action.

Bartman = Fla Marlins Double Secret Spy

:cuss:

(I cried that night)

tk13
07-31-2006, 11:59 AM
That Marlins team was pretty good. I wish our "inferior" management could've developed that kind of pitching. Not to mention Cabrera, Derrek Lee, Mike Lowell, Pierre... yeah that was a bunch of scrubs.

WilliamTheIrish
07-31-2006, 12:02 PM
That Marlins team was pretty good. I wish our "inferior" management could've developed that kind of pitching. Not to mention Cabrera, Derrek Lee, Mike Lowell, Pierre... yeah that was a bunch of scrubs.

Look, the Twins, while not winning the Series, have had great seasons and division titles while being in the same situation. That's all I'm saying.

We have to believe the Royals can do the same. If we as fans don't think it's possible, what's the point of having the team?

Eleazar
07-31-2006, 12:07 PM
I'm not saying that team sucked, but it's undeniable that they had a tremendous amount of luck during that postseason.

tk13
07-31-2006, 12:07 PM
I agree with you. I think if the Twins get in this year, they are gonna be dangerous with a capital D. Who wants to face Santana and Liriano 4 times in a 7 game series?? They have a World Series championship-caliber pitching staff. The Angels might be the only team with the pitching to compete with that, and they don't really have two guys as good as the Twins' big 2.

tk13
07-31-2006, 12:09 PM
I'm not saying that team sucked, but it's undeniable that they had a tremendous amount of luck during that postseason.
How so? Because some guy interfered with a foul ball? That doesn't even count as a live play, you can still come back and get the batter out... and they didn't. Yeah that play stunk, but it only stunk because the Cubs ended up losing control. The Cubs had the ability to control every part of that meltdown, and they didn't stop it.

Dartgod
07-31-2006, 12:16 PM
How so? Because some guy interfered with a foul ball? That doesn't even count as a live play, you can still come back and get the batter out... and they didn't. Yeah that play stunk, but it only stunk because the Cubs ended up losing control. The Cubs had the ability to control every part of that meltdown, and they didn't stop it.This is true. Royals fans have been using the same argument against Cards fans since 1985.

tk13
07-31-2006, 12:21 PM
This is true. Royals fans have been using the same argument against Cards fans since 1985.
Haha, I didn't want to say that... but at least the Orta play was a play that caused a guy to get to first base. That Bartman play was a dead ball. It should've affected nothing.

petegz28
07-31-2006, 12:21 PM

Show me 1 World Series winning team that wasn't lucky.....

Sure-Oz
07-31-2006, 01:04 PM
55 min and still no word on anything, maybe we are done??

KevB
07-31-2006, 01:07 PM
55 min and still no word on anything, maybe we are done??

I'm assuming the Rocks are waiting until the very last second in hopes that one of the teams in the running bump their offer just a bit to get it done.

VonneMarie
07-31-2006, 01:09 PM
that abortion of game Redman threw last night sure didn't help our trade potiential.
Talk about IMPLOSION. :banghead:

Sure-Oz
07-31-2006, 01:11 PM
Kip Wells got traded to boston per royalboard.com, wtf is the deal with Redman, Wells blows big time this year!

Sure-Oz
07-31-2006, 01:12 PM
I'm assuming the Rocks are waiting until the very last second in hopes that one of the teams in the running bump their offer just a bit to get it done.
I sure hope thats the case, i'd love to get Shealy.

Archie Bunker
07-31-2006, 01:46 PM
Stairs to Rangers for pitcher Joselo Diaz who started in AA and is in AAA Ok City now.

Reaper16
07-31-2006, 01:48 PM
Matt Stairs traded to the Rangers for 26 yr old pitcher Joselo Diaz.

Moooo
07-31-2006, 01:51 PM

I don't like that... Maybe I'm wrong...

Moooo

Mr. Laz
07-31-2006, 01:51 PM
dude is seriously trying to stock up on pitching prospects.

i just hope he's got a few more trades pending today

Mr. Laz
07-31-2006, 01:53 PM

Moooo
why ... we can just pick stairs up again next offseason if we want.

any of the veterans that don't have long term contracts can be traded without much, if any, loss to us right now.

i bet Glass is getting ready to spend more this upcoming season than he ever has before.

Infidel Goat
07-31-2006, 01:54 PM

Moooo

Why not?

Stairs has no future in KC.

We got a power arm with control issues. If he ever finds some control, it could be a steal . . .

--Infidel Goat

KevB
07-31-2006, 02:06 PM
A Rockies board source (seems to be respected and in the know) says Shealy and Scott Dohman to the Royals, but doesn't know what the Royals gave up. Source appears to be close to Dohman.

tk13
07-31-2006, 02:10 PM
A Rockies board source (seems to be respected and in the know) says Shealy and Scott Dohman to the Royals, but doesn't know what the Royals gave up. Source appears to be close to Dohman.
He's supposedly Dohmann's brother in law. I don't know... we'll find out I guess. The guy said he was happy because Scott never got a fair shot in Denver.

tk13
07-31-2006, 02:13 PM
http://www.sdfansite.blogspot.com/

Here's the guy's website. He's made an entry saying Dohmann is a Royal... no more details at this time though...

Eleazar
07-31-2006, 02:14 PM
He's supposedly Dohmann's brother in law. I don't know... we'll find out I guess. The guy said he was happy because Scott never got a fair shot in Denver.

Do you think Shealy would be headed straight for Kansas City? Seems hard to believe, but without Stairs or Graff, we barely have anyone who can play first.

KevB
07-31-2006, 02:17 PM

Tough to get a "shot" when you're throwing up ERA's in the 5's and 6's. Maybe he's got decent stuff but pitching in Colorado spooked him. I don't care as long as we got Shealy.

petegz28
07-31-2006, 02:17 PM
Do you think Shealy would be headed straight for Kansas City? Seems hard to believe, but without Stairs or Graff, we barely have anyone who can play first.

And Mienke is hurt so where does this leave us for tonight???

Eleazar
07-31-2006, 02:20 PM
And Mienke is hurt so where does this leave us for tonight???

Phillips played it last night.

petegz28
07-31-2006, 02:21 PM
Phillips played it last night.

Scary. And you know that isn't the long term decision. Moore has to ahve someting in the pipe.

Or are we bringing up Huber???

Reaper16
07-31-2006, 02:23 PM
Scary. And you know that isn't the long term decision. Moore has to ahve someting in the pipe.

Or are we bringing up Huber???
God, I hope so. He's ready, and is a better prospect than Shealy.

petegz28
07-31-2006, 02:35 PM
Shealy to report directly to KC

sedated
07-31-2006, 02:42 PM
We switched Huber to the Outfield, because of our "log-jam" at first :rolleyes:

BRILLIANT!

ChiTown
07-31-2006, 02:42 PM
God, I hope so. He's ready, and is a better prospect than Shealy.

:shake:

Huber won't be playing 1st base anytime real soon. Shealy is a much better 1st baseman and a better power hitting prospect than Huber.

Reaper16
07-31-2006, 02:45 PM
:shake:

Huber won't be playing 1st base anytime real soon. Shealy is a much better 1st baseman and a better power hitting prospect than Huber.
Meh, who knows whether Shealy will retain that power in the majors.
I'm confident that Huber, younger by 3 years, is the better player.

ChiTown
07-31-2006, 02:47 PM
Meh, who knows whether Shealy will retain that power in the majors.
I'm confident that Huber, younger by 3 years, is the better player.

He may be a better bat, but he's not a better fielder. He started as a Catcher, went to 1b and now is learning the outfield. That should tell you a little something about his defense.

Reaper16
07-31-2006, 02:56 PM
He may be a better bat, but he's not a better fielder. He started as a Catcher, went to 1b and now is learning the outfield. That should tell you a little something about his defense.
Well, he's in the outfield because he's in the Royals organization, which wants to play Buddy's lil guy Rick there instead of being patient with Huber's fielding while he's at the AAA level.

I don't think that we'd be hurt playing Huber at 1B in the majors when Minky needs a day off, and DHing him the rest of the time.

But I hope Shealy works out. Because soon, we'll have 3 "fits" for 1B: Shealy, Huber, and Teahen (when Gordon makes the bigs). Two of those can be traded for pitching.

Eleazar
07-31-2006, 02:58 PM
Well, he's in the outfield because he's in the Royals organization, which wants to play Buddy's lil guy Rick there instead of being patient with Huber's fielding while he's at the AAA level.

ROFL ROFL

Have you ever seen either of them play?

DeepSouth
07-31-2006, 03:15 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/15165793.htm

Royals trade Affeldt, Bautista and Stairs in separate deals
By BOB DUTTON
The Kansas City Star
The Royals continued their mid-season makeover Monday by making two trades just before the 3 p.m. non-waiver deadline.

Left-hander Jeremy Affeldt, once viewed as a cornerstone of the club’s future, went to Colorado along with underperforming right-hander Denny Bautista in exchange for first baseman Ryan Shealy and right-handed reliever Scott Dohmann.

Veteran DH/first baseman Matt Stairs was dealt to Texas for minor-league pitcher Jose Diaz.

The two deals capped an eight-day period in which the Royals made five trades.

“I had a good run here,” Affeldt said, “but I’m going to a good place for me. I’m a mountain guy. It’s going to seem strange though. I wore this uniform for 10 years.”

Affeldt, 27, was 4-6 with a 5.91 ERA in 27 games, including nine starts. He is 17-22 with a 4.77 ERA in 184 games in five seasons.

Bautista, 25, never reached his immense potential after joining the Royals in a June 21, 2004, trade that sent reliever Jason Grimsley to Baltimore. Bautista was 0-2 with a 5.66 ERA in eight games this year before being optioned to Class AAA Omaha.

Shealy, 26, was blocked in Colorado by Todd Helton but figures to become the Royals’ regular first baseman. He was two for nine for the Rockies since his July 17 recall from Class AAA Colorado Springs, where he batted .284 with 15 homers and 55 RBIs in 58 games.

Dohmann, 28, was 1-1 with one save and a 6.20 ERA in 27 games for the Rockies before being optioned earlier this month to Colorado Springs.

Stairs, 38, is batting .261 with eight homers and 32 RBIs in 77 games. He was in his third year with the Royals and is joining his eighth organization in a 14-year career.

Diaz, 26, is 0-0 with four saves and a 3.28 ERA in 28 games this season for Class AAA Oklahoma. He pitched previously this season at Class AA Frisco, where he was 2-0 with a 1.29 ERA in eight games.

Diaz was assigned to Class AAA Omaha.

tk13
07-31-2006, 03:17 PM
In other news, Mark Teahen was named AL Player of the Week today. Pretty awesome news, hopefully not the last time we hear that.

In a great twist of irony... Carlos Beltran was also co-NL player of the week.

beavis
07-31-2006, 03:21 PM
In other news, Mark Teahen was named AL Player of the Week today. Pretty awesome news, hopefully not the last time we hear that.

In a great twist of irony... Carlos Beltran was also co-NL player of the week.
Did you just hear Kietzman start to ask Bukaty if he thought Teahan was better than Beltran? ROFL They scared him off of actually saying it though.

Reaper16
07-31-2006, 04:52 PM
ROFL ROFL

Have you ever seen either of them play?
Bell is a better 1B at this point. But he's a no-future player. Huber is still a highly-regarded prospect. He'd improve his fielding if he could get regular time there. That awful decision to call him up earlier in the year cost him development time, and he's had a couple of thumb injuries.

VonneMarie
07-31-2006, 05:03 PM
I like the trades and all, but, I'm a little suprised/glad we didn't trade Redman. I know there's some teams out there that need quality starting pitching.

sedated
07-31-2006, 05:11 PM
Redman and Sanders might still be traded.

they have the salaries that would make it possible to clear waivers

Sure-Oz
07-31-2006, 05:30 PM
I was shocked to not see Boston get Redman, but maybe his start last night scared people off?

ChiefsCountry
07-31-2006, 09:30 PM
I think Redman didnt get traded bc nobody knew what the asking price/value was for the B line pitchers this year. Others like Livian Hernandez etc didnt get traded either.

Also I like the Royals moves this year so far. Shealy is a steal, he has Ryan Howard type potential throw in Alex Gordon and we are set with two big bats along with Teahan and Butler we have some bats. Plus DeJesus, Gaithright, Kepplinger can get on base we got guys to knock them in.

The thing I see now is who gets traded for more pitching help and possible shortstop - Teahan or Huber?