PDA

View Full Version : Shootr's Day 2 at camp observations...

Shootr
07-31-2006, 12:31 PM
1. I did not see Tamba Hali anywhere on the field today. Has anyone heard why?

2. Also not practicing were Waters, Shields, and Tony G. Trent only participated in a few reps today. The OL starters were Turley, Black, Wiegman, Bober, Sampson.

3. I spent a lot of time watching Turley today. He was almost always matched up against Jared Allen in 11 on 11's. I saw Allen beat him once with an outside speed rush. The rest of the time Turley handled him, especially when Allen tried to bull rush. He pancaked Allen really good, one time. I am fairly encouraged by the play of Turley so far. I do notice that he stretches his back quite a bit between reps. I hope this is precautionary and not bothering him.

4. Damon Huard sucks. He got a majority of the reps and just does not look good. We already knew that, though.

5. Croyle did not impress me too much today. He forced several throws in 7 on 7's. The kid has a lot of confidence and arm strength. I think he can be very good.

6. Law and Surtain looked solid, from I what I saw. Not many balls getting thrown their direction in 7's or 11's.

7. Svitek also destroyed a couple of young DE's. He is nasty. He definitely likes to "finish" his blocks. He lined up at both LT and RT.

That's all I got for now. Anyone have anything they want me to watch?

Dunit35
07-31-2006, 12:33 PM
Good info, thanks

How are the LB's looking, especially DJ?

MGRS13
07-31-2006, 12:33 PM
You have any tid bits on Sampson? They ever let Svitek play any rt?

DaKCMan AP
07-31-2006, 01:02 PM
Absent from practice today was rookie defensive end Tamba Hali. Hali was excused to fly back to the East Coast to sign papers to become a United States citizen. "He (Hali) had to go to New Jersey; he's going to be a citizen. He was excited about that," said Edwards with a smile. "I just told him congratulations, enjoy it."

htismaqe
07-31-2006, 01:04 PM
Turley said yesterday in an interview that his back is fine...

morphius
07-31-2006, 01:05 PM
Absent from practice today was rookie defensive end Tamba Hali. Hali was excused to fly back to the East Coast to sign papers to become a United States citizen. "He (Hali) had to go to New Jersey; he's going to be a citizen. He was excited about that," said Edwards with a smile. "I just told him congratulations, enjoy it."
Thats cool!

the Talking Can
07-31-2006, 01:08 PM
Hali is in New Jersey getting his citizenship finalized.

err, you know that already....

KCTitus
07-31-2006, 01:08 PM
1. I did not see Tamba Hali anywhere on the field today. Has anyone heard why?

He retired.

Chieftain58
07-31-2006, 01:09 PM
Thats better info than all the news papers combined! Good job..keep it up

Shootr
07-31-2006, 01:10 PM
OK, good to know. I was a little worried.

Kylo Ren
07-31-2006, 01:10 PM
#2 -- I like that they have Turley as LT and Sampson at RT and Black at G. Black needs to stay away from RT / LT.

#4 -- Huard sucks. Keep Croyle and Printers.

#7 -- Yes. I'd like to see Svitek get plenty of time at RT and/or LT. He's the future at one of those spots.

ChiefsfaninPA
07-31-2006, 01:11 PM
How are the other CB's looking?

morphius
07-31-2006, 01:11 PM
#2 -- I like that they have Turley as LT and Sampson at RT and Black at G. Black needs to stay away from RT / LT.

#4 -- Huard sucks. Keep Croyle and Printers.

#7 -- Yes. I'd like to see Svitek get plenty of time at RT and/or LT. He's the future at one of those spots.
Can't believe we are wasting all of those snaps on Huard.

Shootr
07-31-2006, 01:12 PM
Good info, thanks

How are the LB's looking, especially DJ?
I haven't watched the LB's very much. DJ did get a tipped pick, that he returned for a TD.

CosmicPal
07-31-2006, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the info! That was great stuff. I find it more interesting to get the fan's point of view better than I do the media. The fans like to tell it like it is. Thanks.

That's all I got for now. Anyone have anything they want me to watch?

Would you mind watching my dog for me while I go on vacation?

:shrug:

sedated
07-31-2006, 01:14 PM
Great info, thanks

Keep the O-Line / D-Line updates coming.

That will be the key to our season

DaKCMan AP
I feel a lot better with a line of:

Turley-Waters-Wiegman-Shields-Sampson

than

Black-Waters-Wiegman-Shields-Turley

Hammock Parties
It would be awful if Hali failed his citizenship test...

Hammock Parties
07-31-2006, 01:17 PM
Watch Kendrell Bell, please.

sedated
07-31-2006, 01:18 PM
It would be awful if Hali failed his citizenship test...

he has money, he can't.

big nasty kcnut
07-31-2006, 01:22 PM
Shootr look at my friend derrick johnson cause he related to my friend burt emmanuel.

htismaqe
07-31-2006, 01:26 PM
he has money, he can't.

He has not only his money, but Lamar Hunt's money. No way will the Chiefs allow anything to happen to him.

R&GHomer
07-31-2006, 01:26 PM

:clap: Good for him. Now get mama Hali here and go kill some QB's

Chieftain58
07-31-2006, 01:34 PM
Read:
In 7-on-7's quarterback Damon Huard completed 5-5 pass attempts to running back Larry Johnson, wide receiver Sammie Parker, tight end Kris Wilson and two to wide receiver Eddie Kennison. Quarterback Brodie Croyle was 2-5, completing passes to tight end Jason Dunn and wide receiver Dante Hall. One of Croyle's attempts was almost intercepted, while another intended for wide receiver Jeris McIntyre was too deep. Quarterback Casey Printers took six snaps, completing 2-3 passes to running backs Quentin Griffin and Derrick Ross.

In 11-on-11's quarterback Damon Huard completed 8-9 passes. Wide receiver Dante Hall, wide receiver Jeris McIntyre, running back Dee Brown, tight ends Kris Wilson and Jason Dunn and running back Larry Johnson all caught passes. On one play Dunn tipped the ball in the air and jumped to recover it. Huard threw one interception that slipped through running back McKenzi Smith's hands. Linebacker Derrick Johnson made the pick.

They make Huard out to being a good QB, maybe eve great..... what's up with that?

http://www.uwrf.edu/chiefs/prev_updates?page=2&Files=07-31-06am.htm

Mr. Laz
07-31-2006, 01:39 PM
Can't believe we are wasting all of those snaps on Huard.
:banghead:

just cut that cheesedick already and go full out with the rookies ... they will gain more from the extra reps than Huard is going to.

htismaqe
07-31-2006, 01:40 PM
They just won't do it. Too conservative.

They're gonna give him all the reps in hopes that he will somehow be ready should Trent go down.

Mr. Laz
07-31-2006, 01:41 PM
They just won't do it. Too conservative.

They're gonna give him all the reps in hopes that he will somehow be ready should Trent go down.
i know :sulk:

Moooo
07-31-2006, 01:43 PM
I wanna know how Printers is doing. I know Huard sucks, and I know Croyle is going to suck...

That's cool about Hali. Now we just need to get his mom over here...

Moooo

Shootr
07-31-2006, 01:44 PM
Read:
In 7-on-7's quarterback Damon Huard completed 5-5 pass attempts to running back Larry Johnson, wide receiver Sammie Parker, tight end Kris Wilson and two to wide receiver Eddie Kennison. Quarterback Brodie Croyle was 2-5, completing passes to tight end Jason Dunn and wide receiver Dante Hall. One of Croyle's attempts was almost intercepted, while another intended for wide receiver Jeris McIntyre was too deep. Quarterback Casey Printers took six snaps, completing 2-3 passes to running backs Quentin Griffin and Derrick Ross.

http://www.uwrf.edu/chiefs/prev_updates?page=2&Files=07-31-06am.htm
In 7 on 7's when they complete a pass to a RB or TE, it usually means that no one was open so the dumped the ball underneath. Since it is 7 on 7, there is no D-Line and the guy is usually standing there about 5 yds in front of the QB with no one else there.

Maybe Huard did complete that many passes. I just don't have any confidence in the guy. His arm looks weak and innaccurate. Maybe my bias is clouding my judgement.

FWIW, I saw and heard two of the UW-RF students talking that right those updates. Two blondes, and they were barely watching. I understand why their reports are the way they are...

booger
07-31-2006, 01:46 PM
who got most of the snaps at LE with Hali gone?

Hopefully Wilkerson instead of Hicks.

Frankie
5. Croyle did not impress me too much today. He forced several throws in 7 on 7's. The kid has a lot of confidence and arm strength. I think he can be very good.
So is he bad or good? :shrug:

7. Svitek also destroyed a couple of young DE's. He is nasty. He definitely likes to "finish" his blocks. He lined up at both LT and RT.
:banghead: Jordan Black part 2! I wish they would just keep grooming him at LT instead of confusing him.

MGRS13
so how is Sampson? Is Svitek playing any right tackle?

MGRS13
07-31-2006, 01:49 PM
so how is Sampson? Is Svitek playing any right tackle?
Just noticed #7 sorry. Glad to see him playing both no reason leaving him on the bench if hes the best olineman not playing.

Mr. Laz
07-31-2006, 01:49 PM
So is he bad or good? :shrug:.
i think he meant that Croyle had a bad day but that he can see potential.

just my interpretation.

Shootr
07-31-2006, 01:51 PM
I wanna know how Printers is doing. I know Huard sucks, and I know Croyle is going to suck...

That's cool about Hali. Now we just need to get his mom over here...

Moooo

Printers isn't getting a lot of reps. He did make one play yesterday in 11 on 11's. He scrambled out of trouble and rolled to his right throwing about a 25-30 yd strike to Jeris McIntyre who had gotten behind the coverage. It was pretty spectacular. I am not used to seeing a Chiefs QB who can make that kind of play.

Overall, though, he has been fair.

Shootr
07-31-2006, 01:54 PM
i think he meant that Croyle had a bad day but that he can see potential.

just my interpretation.
Laz is right. Croyle was forcing some balls, but you CAN see the potential. I like his arm and his aggressiveness.

Shootr
07-31-2006, 02:09 PM
Alright, off to another practice. It is F'n HOT.

ChiefFan31
07-31-2006, 02:20 PM
FWIW, I saw and heard two of the UW-RF students talking that right those updates. Two blondes, and they were barely watching. I understand why their reports are the way they are...

First off, thanks for the updates, nice to get a football perspective from a fan.

Secondly, AH HA!!

I knew it was a woman writing those articles for UWRF, and I was wondering if it was one of those cute little blondes. Its both

Its like hey you look good, but leave the football reporting to someone who knows football. They should stick to the fan interview part.

HemiEd
07-31-2006, 02:48 PM
They ever let Svitek play any rt?

bkkcoh
07-31-2006, 02:53 PM

From the Chiefs training camp web site.

MGRS13
07-31-2006, 03:18 PM
wow you're quick check post #39

HemiEd
07-31-2006, 03:46 PM
wow you're quick check post #39

I just saw it. Sorry, trying to work a little as well.

MGRS13
07-31-2006, 03:48 PM
I just saw it. Sorry, trying to work a little as well.
WORK? Over rated.

HemiEd
07-31-2006, 04:07 PM
WORK? Over rated.

Today sure sucked, I just found out I have to fly to Toronto Wednesday to solve a Blackberry assembly issue after going to Wisconsin tomorrow for a Razor issue. Fortunatly I get to play Golf on the company dime Thursday.

booger
07-31-2006, 04:09 PM
Mopar makes razors now? How many blades 6?

HemiEd
07-31-2006, 04:12 PM
Mopar makes razors now? How many blades 6?

ROFL ROFL A Hemi Razor, it would have to be 8 blades, big ones!

Cell phones, I wish we could stick to strictly automotive.

booger
07-31-2006, 04:15 PM
I see.

Good luck.

Hit up River Falls for a practice while your in Wisconsin.

HemiEd
07-31-2006, 04:16 PM
I see.

Good luck.

Hit up River Falls for a practice while your in Wisconsin.

thanks Booger! I would love to but I will be in Lake Geneva, a long way from River Falls. :banghead:

booger
07-31-2006, 04:17 PM
Take the scenic route.

HemiEd
07-31-2006, 04:20 PM
Take the scenic route.

ROFL I would probably just skip the work part of the trip.

MGRS13
07-31-2006, 04:27 PM
Today sure sucked, I just found out I have to fly to Toronto Wednesday to solve a Blackberry assembly issue after going to Wisconsin tomorrow for a Razor issue. Fortunatly I get to play Golf on the company dime Thursday.
Work was great for me the train I was called for left two hours early with a different crew so I'm getting paid for the next 8 to 12 hours for, well watching sportscenter right now.

vailpass
07-31-2006, 04:28 PM
thanks Booger! I would love to but I will be in Lake Geneva, a long way from River Falls. :banghead:

Howdy Ed,
How is your off-season? Congrats on enlisting the Law. Between him and Hali it would seem the KC D will have a different look this year.

Lake Geneva is gorgeous. My parents had my wife & I to stay with them for a week a few years back. A prettier little place I can't imagine.
So how many houses on the lake do you own, 2 or 3?

OldTownChief
07-31-2006, 06:09 PM
Another great post, keep up the good work. Very encouraging news about Turley and Svitek.

Sully
07-31-2006, 06:11 PM
who got most of the snaps at LE with Hali gone?

Hopefully Wilkerson instead of Hicks.

Wilkerson is playing exclusively at DT, from what I've seen. He's got the size, and is definitely quick enough. He's actually looked pretty good inside. Hicks took Hali's place at DE today. But, he played like Eric Hicks, so no worries.

Sully
07-31-2006, 06:16 PM
Edwards took Law and Surtain aside during warmups during the afternoon practice and did some serious coaching with them. He was showing them a different angle of coverage than we are used to seeing our CBs use, funneling everything to help, in the COver 2, rather than turning back and running. I think that this is one illustration of why Herm is going to be an asset. He can actually coach, where DV delegated everything to his army of coaches.

A friend asked me to keep an eye on Gunther and describe a tirade. I'll say, though, that you don't hear much out of him this year. Krumrie is the most vocal coach out there (other than Herm) and lost his voice by the 3rd practice. I have paid extra attention to the DL individual drills, and he is heavily emphasising getting off the ball quickly and using hands to get off blocks. This seems basic, but it isn't something I recall Karm coaching much. He mostly coached moves. The emphasis on getting upfield at the snap is definitely carrying over to the team drills, as you see the DTs especially disrupting plays in the backfield. Hell, SIms nearly intercepted a screen pass near the sideline today.

Svitek looks very good. DOminant on the run, and good on the pass. I too noticed Turley stretching his back extensively between plays, and that seems worrisome. Black at guard didn't look too bad today. It was far better than his performance outside.

Derrick Johnson looks like he should. He's quick to the ball, and fast anywhere. Even Bell has made quite a few plays. He has been in on many "tackles" and been decent in coverage.

morphius
07-31-2006, 06:22 PM
Edwards took Law and Surtain aside during warmups during the afternoon practice and did some serious coaching with them. He was showing them a different angle of coverage than we are used to seeing our CBs use, funneling everything to help, in the COver 2, rather than turning back and running. I think that this is one illustration of why Herm is going to be an asset. He can actually coach, where DV delegated everything to his army of coaches.

A friend asked me to keep an eye on Gunther and describe a tirade. I'll say, though, that you don't hear much out of him this year. Krumrie is the most vocal coach out there (other than Herm) and lost his voice by the 3rd practice. I have paid extra attention to the DL individual drills, and he is heavily emphasising getting off the ball quickly and using hands to get off blocks. This seems basic, but it isn't something I recall Karm coaching much. He mostly coached moves. The emphasis on getting upfield at the snap is definitely carrying over to the team drills, as you see the DTs especially disrupting plays in the backfield. Hell, SIms nearly intercepted a screen pass near the sideline today.

Svitek looks very good. DOminant on the run, and good on the pass. I too noticed Turley stretching his back extensively between plays, and that seems worrisome. Black at guard didn't look too bad today. It was far better than his performance outside.

Derrick Johnson looks like he should. He's quick to the ball, and fast anywhere. Even Bell has made quite a few plays. He has been in on many "tackles" and been decent in coverage.
Thanks man!

Sully
07-31-2006, 06:24 PM
For the previous few days, Battle and Walls looked brilliant in coverage. Yesterday and today, Walls has been off the field, and Battle's play has leveled a little.

Pollard has been looking good. Even Page has looked pretty decent, as he had an INT today. At one point in the morning's practice, both rookie safeties were ont he field with the first tema defense. This was just a coincidence, as Knight and Wesley were on another drill, but the two guys held their own. They didn't look like they didn't belong out there. I've been decently impressed with Page. He's been around a lot of plays.

hypersensitiveZO6
07-31-2006, 07:21 PM
Shootr,

Give me a Kendral Bell Report tomorrow if you can.

Thanks,

HyperliteZO6

Mecca
07-31-2006, 08:26 PM
For the previous few days, Battle and Walls looked brilliant in coverage. Yesterday and today, Walls has been off the field, and Battle's play has leveled a little.

Pollard has been looking good. Even Page has looked pretty decent, as he had an INT today. At one point in the morning's practice, both rookie safeties were ont he field with the first tema defense. This was just a coincidence, as Knight and Wesley were on another drill, but the two guys held their own. They didn't look like they didn't belong out there. I've been decently impressed with Page. He's been around a lot of plays.

Say bye to William Bartee, Page showing stuff like that gives them all the reason in the world to dump Bartee.

stevieray
07-31-2006, 08:39 PM
Thanks to shootr and Sully!

awesome stuff!

Spicy McHaggis
07-31-2006, 08:40 PM
Wilkerson is playing exclusively at DT, from what I've seen. He's got the size, and is definitely quick enough. He's actually looked pretty good inside.

Really? That's one complaint I had of last year on the DL. Wilkerson was used inside and it limited his effectiveness. Wilkerson has size but he's still probably only 280-285 and he can wear down as the season progresses if he plays exclusively inside. Maybe he'll be used like the Falcons used Babineaux last year, sliding back and forth between the DE and DT.

We'll have to see how the whole DL thing shakes down. Thanks for the info and keep it comin'.

Mecca
07-31-2006, 08:48 PM
A 285-290LB DT is ok to have in a cover 2 defense.

Spicy McHaggis
07-31-2006, 08:57 PM
A 285-290LB DT is ok to have in a cover 2 defense.

True, just stating the fact that from what I've seen he is a better fit in the rotation at LDE than DT. If he can play inside and be disruptive this year than by all means, play him in the middle. We need all the help we can get at the spot and versatility is a great thing to have.

Mecca
07-31-2006, 09:00 PM
We're getting ready to see things I don't think people here are use to seeing......We're going to have have DE's that are 260-270 and DT's that are 285-300. Guys like Eric Hicks, Junior Siavii and the like just don't fit the defense we're switching to.

Spicy McHaggis
07-31-2006, 09:04 PM
We're getting ready to see things I don't think people here are use to seeing......We're going to have have DE's that are 260-270 and DT's that are 285-300. Guys like Eric Hicks, Junior Siavii and the like just don't fit the defense we're switching to.

Siavii fits into any defense about as well as he fits in a Geo Metro.

ChiefFan31
07-31-2006, 09:23 PM
Thanks to shootr and Sully!

awesome stuff!

Agreed.

Love getting first hand knowledge from eyes of the fans

I wish I could get out to River Falls :banghead:

Sully
07-31-2006, 10:07 PM
I think WIlkerson could wear down if he were used as a starter and 3-down player... but I would imagine he'll be a part time player, and mostly play on passing downs. In that situation, I doubt he'd wear down much at all.

Sully
07-31-2006, 10:08 PM
Bartee has yet to practice at all. The fact that he's doing calusthenics the entire practice with the other injured guys wering number 21 helps me forget he was ever with the team at all.